+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IT stuff...dumbass needing help

Regular

IT stuff...dumbass needing help

Right. We're with Talktalk and it's been fine for a few years. We have fibre and can stream stuff etc. Worked fine last Tuesday then Wednesday it wouldn't stream. It still won't and I've struggled to get a speedtest done as it seems to fail to detect it (can you tell I know f### all about these things)
    Anyhow, some feller from South Africa has just wasted 45 minutes having me switch it off and back on (router) and do a couple of talktalk speed tests (15mb download, 3mb upload) which he says is good. It's weird how it will do a speed test on Talktalks own but not on The f####r still wont stream and my little signal strength symbol fluctuates between medium and strong.
    Any idea whats wrong? I use a chrome book, wife uses an Ipad and I occasionally use an iMac. All 3 are the same. Won't run video. I'm probably being a mong with something, but what ?
    If a man speaks his mind in a forest and no woman hears him...is he still wrong ?

Sounds like an issue with talk talk if all 3 devices have suddenly stopped working at the same time.

We had talk talk for a bit. Was awful. Always dropping out.

Couldn't wait to get rid of them. I think I may have even paid an early departure fee.

Been with BT since. No issues and every 12 months I get a new deal.
    Sponsored by Floyd.

987.1 Boxster S
    F21 120d Msport

Regular
    I'd thought that Nige. Very odd

Quote Originally Posted by Chris D View Post
    We had talk talk for a bit. Was awful. Always dropping out.

Couldn't wait to get rid of them. I think I may have even paid an early departure fee.

Been with BT since. No issues and every 12 months I get a new deal.
    F#####g c#####g tw####g unhelpful w#####r........
    If a man speaks his mind in a forest and no woman hears him...is he still wrong ?

TalkTalk use BTís network, but control contention and can throttle etc if they wish

3 up isnít great for streaming - particularly multiple devices at once

15 down and 3 up isnít fiber speed. Thatís ADSL speed

Switch provider, maybe they have over-contended

Kinda pointless arguing the toss with someone over the phone, just switch

If you have Virgin in your area they have their own network. Generally better unless youíre a heavy user, which it doesnít sound like you will be

After a storm, our router wouldnít connect to certain things.

Spend a long time on the phone with BT.

They sent a new router in the end which sorted it.

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit View Post
    TalkTalk use BTís network, but control contention and can throttle etc if they wish

3 up isnít great for streaming - particularly multiple devices at once

15 down and 3 up isnít fiber speed. Thatís ADSL speed

Switch provider, maybe they have over-contended

Kinda pointless arguing the toss with someone over the phone, just switch

If you have Virgin in your area they have their own network. Generally better unless youíre a heavy user, which it doesnít sound like you will be
    You see, you talk with words I don't really comprehend with regard to broadband and as I'm old fashioned, my first port of call IS with the provider. We don't have Virgin in the village. They stopped a couple of miles away about 20 years ago with a vague promise of extending but obviously don't see sufficient profit from a small village. I can post on here OK but click on Virgin Media webpage and it freezes. F##### internet

Regular
    Couldn't get on one website...and it spat this out

Couldn t execute query.You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1

Regular
    TalkTalk generally the worst support and contention ratios. They're known for being a liability. They have quite a few outages and issues, and are generally slow to fix anything. When they do they aren't transparent and try to ignore the issue/hope it just goes away. Sarah's Grannie is with them and they won't move because it's cheap, they'd rather spend hours of thier lives ringing support and getting frustrated. Some people seem to have 0 issues, but once you start they will only get worse. If you can switch I'd move.

It's possible it could be the router. If you switch I'd look for one that includes a new router as, unsurprisingly, TalkTalk tend to ship cheap routers.

Check https://www.thinkbroadband.com/

Working from home my livelihood depends on Broadband and we've now been with Zen for years. It's pricey but the best of the best. https://www.thinkbroadband.com/isps/...commit=Compare

Hope the waffle helps, as others have said, it doesn't sound like anything you're doing wrong or can fix. Apart from moving :D.
    Last edited by Brando; 09-09-2019 at 08:08 PM.
    About.me - Twitter: @iOlly - Laps: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Dave B View Post

F#####g c#####g tw####g unhelpful w#####r........

Turn it off and on again. Did you try that?

HTH
    Sponsored by Floyd.

987.1 Boxster S
    F21 120d Msport

Dave, don't just switch the router off and on - do a "factory reset".

This is usually achieved by pushing a (straightened) paper clip into a small hole and holding it against the slight resistance that you'll feel (because it closes a micro-switch) for at least 15 seconds, then remove the paper clip and switch the modem off for at least 30 seconds.

RTFM to find out where the small hole is, if it's not obvious.

Switch the router back on and reinstall the router. You'll need all the installation documentation to hand to do this.

HTH and good luck
    Chris
    The older you get, the faster you used to be.....

Regular
    It does Chris, thanks.

All bongobilly had me do last night was switch it off and back on again.
    Pretty certain we are the last few houses down the line for the BT cable, (then there's a 6 mile moor to the next valley...which we are not connected to)
    Virgin never got round to installing cable to the village, they stopped about 2 miles away....24 years ago.
    Tried my laptop at a neighbours, who is on plusnet, and couldn't stream youtube or anything else. Their house computer is connected via an ethernet cable and could stream.

Regular
    Do websites work, but streaming not?

By that, I mean.. Can you navigate/surf to YouTube, choose *insert two wheeled video here* and it not work?
    OR are you not even able to load up YouTube, etc?

bbc.co.uk work?

Regular
    I can generally get on to websites but then navigation on that site will be glacial...and i always get the revolving circle 'loading' on any video and other non video stuff.
    They're constantly telling me that their side is all OK...15mbs down and 3mbs up is within their terms and that issues in my house are at my cost...I say that they are responsible up to and including the wifi router...yes? They agree...well the f##### thing is in my house so when they send an engineer to check THEIR kit he can have a quick shufty at how shit my actual internet speed is, scratch his head and sort it out.
    Yes sir Mr David.

They're currently changing my wifi channel.... as the other one was congested...oh, so that is a TALKTALK issue then ? Yes.
    C##ts the lot of em, IT wan###s

BBC works (but not video so I can't watch Wimbledon or Fitzy riding his scrambler on catch up....)
    Last edited by Dave B; 10-09-2019 at 01:58 PM.

If you're on Windows, hit the Windows key, type CMD and hit enter.

This will bring up your command line interface.

Type

ping bbc.co.uk

and hit enter.

There should be no dropped packets (loss = zero) - lost packets = a big issue on the line.

time figures for each of the four tests should be below 100ms

Once you've eliminated the router (or not) this would be the next step....

Call and say you have issues with voice calls on your line and that you would like it tested for faults, because it's crackly.

IIRC BT lines (as in 'last mile' copper string to your house) are only held to service for voice calls, not data transmission rates.

We don't have a fixed line here in this field - Vodafone + 'mobile' home router, 800m away from a cell = 50mb download speeds, on a SIM only unlimited data bundle.

Works fine virtually all of the time.
    It's literally a Diamond shaped Hell at times
    Woodland camping with Forest Schools on the Isle of Wight: campwight.co.uk

Regular
    Not on windows......
    But thanks anyway

Search on the interweb for how to do a ping test on the operating system of your choice.... wait, hang on... I'd say that might not work, but you're still f**king posting on here!

Regular
    I've tried the speed test numerous times. The only one that actually works is the talktalk one. None of the others work at all. Latency Test (wtf is that?) doesn't even register...so nothing else happens. If I knew what I was doing I'd say it is all very weird...

Ctrl Alt T does the ping test on my chrome book....it shows lots of weird letters and sh## so I exit quickly

Sorry I can't help with this conundrum Dave, I'd be as lost as you seem to be...!

Why can't we all go back to phone & fax, life was so much easier.

Regular
    I'd go earlier Rory, pre phones for us cave dwellers.
    To see if yer mate was in and wanted to play out...you went all outrageous; put your cheap woolies trainers on and ran round to his house and knocked on his door.

Ctrl Alt T does the ping test on my chrome book....it shows lots of weird letters and sh## so I exit quickly
    If you could just copy it and paste it into a post on here, that might be slightly more useful, if you want help.

Regular
    [Pro Tip] Use 'Open as Window' or 'Fullscreen' to prevent Ctrl-W from closing your terminal!
    [Pro Tip] See [crosh] for more information.

Welcome to crosh, the Chrome OS developer shell.

If you got here by mistake, don't panic! Just close this tab and carry on.

Type 'help' for a list of commands.

If you want to customize the look/behavior, you can use the options page.
    Load it by using the Ctrl+Shift+P keyboard shortcut.

crosh> [Pro Tip] Use 'Open as Window' or 'Fullscreen' to prevent Ctrl-W from closing your terminal!
    ERROR: unknown command: [Pro

crosh> [Pro Tip] See [crosh] for more information.
    ERROR: unknown command: [Pro

crosh>
    crosh> Welcome to crosh, the Chrome OS developer shell.

Regular
    Hi Dave, to do a ping test on a chrome book you still need to type ping and the site to test against.

Have a look at this link which explains and gives and example:

https://www.dell.com/support/article...ome-os?lang=en

Thereís lots of IT folk on here (Iím one too) and it all makes perfect sense to us believe it or not so the results of the test will help pinpoint the problem and what needs doing to fix it.
    Last edited by Stu; 10-09-2019 at 04:46 PM.
    Too many cars...

Fire up the iMac and go Launchpad/Other/Terminal

Copy & paste this, then hit enter

ping 8.8.8.8 -c 50 -s 500
    Takes a lot of skill to look this bad you know...

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Roberts View Post
    Fire up the iMac and go Launchpad/Other/Terminal

Copy & paste this, then hit enter

ping 8.8.8.8 -c 50 -s 500
    Doing this has got a recurring line ( up to 49 but including the 0 meant 50)

76 bytes from 8.8.8.8:icmp_seq=0 ttl=55 time=24.798ms wrong total length 96 instead of 528

Everything was the same on each of the 50 sets of letters and numbers except the time which fluctuated between 24 and 73 ms

Then it said
    50 packets transmitted, 50 packets received, 0.0% packet loss round-trip min/avg/max/stddev=24.798/49.830/73.940/14.119ms

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    Hi Dave, to do a ping test on a chrome book you still need to type ping and the site to test against.

Have a look at this link which explains and gives and example:

https://www.dell.com/support/article...ome-os?lang=en

Thereís lots of IT folk on here (Iím one too) and it all makes perfect sense to us believe it or not so the results of the test will help pinpoint the problem and what needs doing to fix it.
    It may well explain it to those who know about IT but for a mong like me, I get as far as the 3rd line and it loses me...seriously. (I can talk a suicidal kid off a very tall bridge and stop two big men (carrying a working chainsaw and weightlifting bar respectively) trying to kill each other and get em both sent to prison...but bloody computers

Regular
    DNS issue?

Replace the 8.8.8.8 with www.bbc.co.uk

Think that should work, report back.

Regular
    508 bytes from 212.58.249.208: icmp_seq=0 rrl=55 time=22.780

then it recurs 49 more times with varying time= 50 packets transmitted/received 0.0% packet loss min/avg/max/sttdev = 22.619/25.785/41.677/2.216ms

I'd go earlier Rory, pre phones for us cave dwellers.
    To see if yer mate was in and wanted to play out...you went all outrageous; put your cheap woolies trainers on and ran round to his house and knocked on his door.
    Happy days indeed!

We know what it means, itís ****ing slow.
    Takes a lot of skill to look this bad you know...

Regular
    F### me. I didn't need the NL collective of IT experts to tell me its F#####g slow. I already know its c#####g slow.

I'll see what Talktalk do in the coming weeks. They've already gone from 'you'll be charged for an engineers visit' to 'we won't charge you....'

Many thanks....i think

So the connection's stable, but not performing.

Change supplier, unless you're contracted with TalkTalk for a term, in which case have an argument with them about the service not being fit for purpose, cancel contract, then change supplier.

You see, you talk with words I don't really comprehend with regard to broadband and as I'm old fashioned, my first port of call IS with the provider. We don't have Virgin in the village. They stopped a couple of miles away about 20 years ago with a vague promise of extending but obviously don't see sufficient profit from a small village. I can post on here OK but click on Virgin Media webpage and it freezes. F##### internet
    Go to BT directly.

They're constantly telling me that their side is all OK...15mbs down and 3mbs up is within their terms and that issues in my house are at my cost...
    For fiber, that's awful

They're currently changing my wifi channel.... as the other one was congested...oh, so that is a TALKTALK issue then ? Yes.
    no. A wifi channel is like a radio frequency. If everyone is on TalkTalk and it's set to the same channel, it could cause issues, but it's not their fault at all.

Unlikely to be the issue for you tbh

You shouldn't be doing a ping test, you should be doing a tracert...

Ping = you sending a packet of information to a destination, and the destination sending a packet back, and it measures the time for the total round trip

tracert (Trace route) = you sending a packet as above, but it measures the time between each "hop", helping you identify where the slow bit is

A hop is between two points along the path from you and the destination

Your laptop -> your router
    Your route -> your local cabinet
    Your cabinet -> your exchange
    Your exchange -> someone else's exchange
    last hop -> final destination

Regular
    Go to BT directly.
    I get that that is where my solution lies....in as much as it is their line, but my contract is with Talktalk and having just shy of 10 mths left with them, I have to let them attempt to sort it or I move on and lose 10mths x monthly payment

For fiber, that's awful

no. A wifi channel is like a radio frequency. If everyone is on TalkTalk and it's set to the same channel, it could cause issues, but it's not their fault at all.

Unlikely to be the issue for you tbh

You shouldn't be doing a ping test, you should be doing a tracert...

Ping = you sending a packet of information to a destination, and the destination sending a packet back, and it measures the time for the total round trip

tracert (Trace route) = you sending a packet as above, but it measures the time between each "hop", helping you identify where the slow bit is

A hop is between two points along the path from you and the destination

Your laptop -> your router
    Your route -> your local cabinet
    Your cabinet -> your exchange
    Your exchange -> someone else's exchange
    last hop -> final destination
    Thanks Neil. I'm a bit like that woman going to a garage and asking what 710 means on that cap thing on top her cars hot smelly thing under the shiny lid thingy....

I'm away for a week from tomorrow so will leave it until I get back, then they'll have a fortnight to sort it out before their own '28 day to sort the issue' kicks in.

I get that that is where my solution lies....in as much as it is their line, but my contract is with Talktalk and having just shy of 10 mths left with them, I have to let them attempt to sort it or I move on and lose 10mths x monthly payment
    aye, i'm talking about them letting you out of contract and go to BT instead

what does it say is acceptable for the package you're on, and what packages are available?

6MB up is pretty shocking these days

Go to BT directly.
    Probably won't be able to, as it's likely that Dave's connection is on an unbundled local loop, from TalkTalk, so on their kit in the exchange.

He'll need to establish that the fault is not in the exchange with TT, before they'll get someone from BT OpenReach to check for issues in the copper.

Unless he can break out of the current TT contract and go with BT, or another LLU supplier.

Regular
    This will get sorted when I sell up and move to France......

Our experience of BT ended badly several years ago when they came to replace a pole and connected our phone with a neighbours line, the neighbour with someone elses and a 3rd neighbour with no one. They refused to believe it over the phone stating that checks proved that impossible but then a rather sheepish engineer came and rejigged it....so I wasn't able to chat with the neighbours mum, when she rang him and got me, anymore....
    Then an Openreach van crashed into our parked unattended car and drove off. Neighbour saw it and jotted reg down, a local delivery guy also saw it and jotted number down. A call to their fleet manager caused BT to clam up and believe their driver (he'd hit a wall, honestly) until I persuaded her to come and have a look...and speak to neighbour and also to the delivery man on the phone. Couldn't do enough for us then.
    We won't be going back to BT.

^ That sounds rather Monty Python-esque.

It beggars belief how such a large company can operate/exist in such a shoddy manner!
    Hopefully your service will improve when you set your roots in France Dave.

With a physical phone line, unless you're on cable, you HAVE to deal with OpenReach, as they're the ones who own and manage it.

LLU means you're out of BT's network from the exchange.

Plenty of sites guiding you to choose an LLU broadband provider.

Depending on how wedded you are to a landline (and what your reception is like), the mobile BB option might be a useful alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Hell View Post
    Probably won't be able to, as it's likely that Dave's connection is on an unbundled local loop, from TalkTalk, so on their kit in the exchange.

He'll need to establish that the fault is not in the exchange with TT, before they'll get someone from BT OpenReach to check for issues in the copper.

Unless he can break out of the current TT contract and go with BT, or another LLU supplier.
    Wtf are you going on about

First he canít apparently go to BT. Then a load of nonsense about an exchange fault, which isnít even a thing. Then apparently he can do what I suggested

Itís pretty simple. Look at whatís acceptable for TT, use a tracert to show theyíre useless, move direct to BT who run better kit and lower contention ratios

Itís almost like the companies I run do this and that we have direct accounts with multiple ISPs

+ Reply to Thread