+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Auto Addiction banned from filming the 'ring

Auto Addiction banned from filming the 'ring

Quote Originally Posted by Facebook
    Yes, it's true... Some of you might have witnessed it themself, but the Nürburgring GmbH called the POLICE to stop me from filming at the Nordschleife!
    Their motivation is that our videos are bad publicity for the Nürburgring and they claim I am filming on private property, which is only allowed if you have, you guessed it, a media license.
    Unfortunately we are not eligible to get a media license, since we like to show you guys all the stuff that happens on the Nürburgring, instead of kissing their ass and showing only what they (Nürburgring GmbH) want other people to see (i.e. not showing any crashes, drifts and all other exciting things that, in my opinion, are part of racing and is what made the Nürburgring famous in the first place...

Anyway, for now this means that I (Nick) will no longer be allowed to be at the Nordschleife. Luckely I am not the only cameraman for Auto Addiction 😉

Sorry for the long post, please don't ask for details as for the moment we're working on "things".
    We will keep you updated as soon as we can tell you more!
    And ofcourse thank you all for your support over the years :)

(ps: new non-nurburgring related content is coming soon!)

Booooooooooo.

These are the only vids I really watch.

They do safety videos also and show the dangers of the place at times.

Silly from the Nurburgring IMO. They also help in crashes to show as evidence & offenders of rule breakers. They will van photographers next
    Daily - i30N Performance
    Project - Astra Mk3 with Saab B204 engine (sitting in the garage)
    Track - Suzuki Swift ZC32 Ex Rent 4 Ring

Who?
    Dunlop Direzzas. Officially better than aero.

Having watched Misha's video about media licensing, I'm not surprised.

It's almost like Nurburgring GmbH want to safeguard their brand and also want a slice of the income from those operating on their premises.
    It's literally a Diamond shaped Hell at times
    Woodland camping with Forest Schools on the Isle of Wight: campwight.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Stace View Post
    Who?
    https://youtu.be/xPGo1i2lUrU

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Hell View Post
    Having watched Misha's video about media licensing, I'm not surprised.

It's almost like Nurburgring GmbH want to safeguard their brand and also want a slice of the income from those operating on their premises.
    He has been banging on about it for long enough its almost as if something fishy is going on behind the scenes
    Daily - i30N Performance

I bet the gmbh have had some laughs over the years after hearing some of the rumour mill stuff that goes on about the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev_G View Post
    He has been banging on about it for long enough its almost as if something fishy is going on behind the scenes
    Yeah, it's almost like GmbH are delighted to have someone promote the fact that it's possible to get a license and put approved content out there, instead of have anyone and everyone filming and posting whatever they want, right?

I'm not seeing any conspiracy, I'm seeing a corporate engine protecting its brand, with support from those who it licenses.

But it's "open" to the public to film TF and trackdays all year? I filmed myself form the same corner last month.

Quote Originally Posted by c_w View Post
    But it's "open" to the public to film TF and trackdays all year? I filmed myself form the same corner last month.
    How did you do that? Leave a go-pro there or something?

You weren't making money from it. Go watch Misha's video on media licenses.

What’s the point in having a media licence if anyone can pitch up?

Quote Originally Posted by hobbit View Post

You weren't making money from it. Go watch Misha's video on media licenses.
    But I could be supplying auto addition with footage, and the place is open to public viewing even for closed trackdays. They're just filming the general public driving round in road cars, not races etc - problem with the Ring is they have always wanted the cake and eat it. I'm sure Misha will be trying to back it and try and deter other bloggers, it's in his interest.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbit View Post

I couldn't decide if this was a legit tech question...

Or some high quality Grammar Nazi work.

Sad day that Auto Addiction have now moved to filming bellends exiting ED
    Daily - i30N Performance

But I could be supplying auto addition with footage, and the place is open to public viewing even for closed trackdays.
    Then you'll need a media license, if there is any money changing hands, which there obviously was, given their videos all have +100k views and many of them are well into seven figures.

If you search 'nurburgring' on Youtube they appear at #2 in the results. If it was my brand, I might want to take them down a peg, or three, as they're doing a top job of promoting the Nurburgring as somewhere people go to crash, not drive.

Then you'll need a media license, if there is any money changing hands, which there obviously was, given their videos all have +100k views and many of them are well into seven figures.

If you search 'nurburgring' on Youtube they appear at #2 in the results. If it was my brand, I might want to take them down a peg, or three, as they're doing a top job of promoting the Nurburgring as somewhere people go to crash, not drive.
    So they could get a media license and then it's ok to show the crashes?

It's a difficult one, as you just said they are prominent on Youtube - an internet platform - as anyone can be these days with the right content. They're not using copyright material; filming mainly members of the public who have paid for a lap driving on tourist days. Ordinarily there's no money in that but Youtube offers scope to make some through advertising (could be unrelated products), and youtube want good content for audiences. Maybe there's an argument that Youtube is actually a publisher, and that it should be involved in stumping for license costs.

So they could get a media license and then it's ok to show the crashes?
    Sadly no as the Ring don't want the crashes to be shown.
    Daily - i30N Performance

They're not using copyright material; filming on private land mainly members of the public who have paid for a lap driving on tourist days.

EFA

and that's the crux of it and the end of it TBH.

I don't recall any signage to that effect, or warnings against recording when going to the obligatory viewing points.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev_G View Post
    Sadly no as the Ring don't want the crashes to be shown.
    So I bet the media pass agreement is likely to come with some censorship. I think one of the main issues is AA and others putting mainly crash compilations on whilst the ring want to hide the reality that TF can frankly be carnage. but this has been going on for decades, such as the vintage footage from the 70s(?).

but this has been going on for decades, such as the vintage footage from the 70s(?).
    It wasn`t privately owned then though.

As a business, I can totally see why they`d want to stop videos like the AA ones with over 1M views that have crashes as the thumbnail.

Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    It wasn`t privately owned then though.

As a business, I can totally see why they`d want to stop videos like the AA ones with over 1M views that have crashes as the thumbnail.
    Of course I get that but those crashes are happening regularly, if their aim is to kerb that then it’s potentially a censorship exercise to protect the glossy image they portray of the place. They advertise and promote tf for example but there is very little prominence given to insurance, especially the large chunk of uk drivers who are in effect driving uninsured and could suffer severe financial consequences. I just cant help but think they want it all ways. There is no place on earth like it, a uk circuit for example could not operate this way for example.

+ Reply to Thread