+ Reply to Thread

Thread: caterham

Regular

caterham

having left the UK to settle in cheese land, I am selling a narrowboat in Warwickshire and wondering what to spunk the money on.

Hoping for 20k, will likely be less as is often the case with projected windfalls.

anyways.

Thought I would look at XKR cabs as they are just so achingly gorgeous and quite nice to drive + I fancied the Britishness of it now I live in Paris.

But on hindsight, I can imagine I would be scared of using it, kerbing alloys, managing maintenance etc when I have a company car with free fuel and motorway badge in it.

a caterham on the other hand might make more sense?

is there a good free forum to glean info on what to buy and look for?

I like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caterham-...4AAOSwtYddRBSU
    the older I get, the faster I used to be.

Triumph ST1050
    northloop slag MX5

https://www.lotus7.club/

You can browse the forums for free.

Will it need to be registered on the continent , or are you keeping GB plates ?

You may need a CoC from caterham to get it registered , so that means factory build cars only.

This site has a thread on registering them apparently.
    https://www.sevener.fr/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=419
    Last edited by stevem; 07-08-2019 at 10:03 AM.
    Simon no longer owes me anything, Dave does though.
    Floyd probably owes me at least twenty with the interest rolling up...

Considering that every car in gay Paree has one or more dents in it, the Jaaaag might be a little OTT. A Caterham would fun as hell though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Benz
    Nige would be turning in his shed
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige
    Have you seen my bottom nuts?

Regular
    I still have an address in the UK, where I still spend a fair amount of time, so I am quite happy to keep UK plates for some time.

I'd like to register in France at some point though... but that looks like a dark dystopian kafkaesque bare handed brawl with the french bureaucrooksy.

as far as I can tell the only no-no for that is owner built cars. Factory built cars on the other hand do go through an appropriate manufacturer homologation channel which should be accepted by a fonctionnaire between his lunch break, fag break, coffee break etc...

anyways thanks for the lotus7 link. I'd come across it and mistakenly assumed I had to get a membership to browse.

Triumph ST1050
    northloop slag MX5

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by N/B View Post
    Considering that every car in gay Paree has one or more dents in it, the Jaaaag might be a little OTT. A Caterham would fun as hell though.
    I experienced that with my UK plated XF... I only used it once to go into Paris, parked it, came back to it with the bumper smashed.

cue broken headlight brackets, error message on the dash relating to the pedestrian system etc.

Fuming.

which is why I think, pretty and pleasant as the XKR may be, I would not really have a use for it. Taking it out to go somewhere would literately cost me hundreds.

Whereas with the caterham, the drive itself would be the destination , if that makes any sense.

Triumph ST1050
    northloop slag MX5

The ebay one is a VX engine btw.. so about 115hp probably.

I haven't driven a live axle so can't comment on the handling.

Would the plan be to have a city beater and then keep this tucked up for special occasions?

People do daily Caterhams, but they donít much like salt, are all kinds of compromised and they are really easy to miss when parking a monstrosity like an X7. Hence the question above - I suspect a Caterham would suffer 10x worse than a Jag...

If you fancy one, you definitely should go look at one (take a gander at whatever is close, hone in on spec after). Iím pleased that I had the opportunity to own one.
    BMW E90 330i Sport / Kawasaki ZX6R.
    Custodian and seller of Northloop stickers.

Regular
    I have a daily golf, just ordered its Octavia replacement in fact.

That car is entirely paid for by work including personal fuel and personal use of toll motorways (a big cost in France)

at the moment I have the northloop track slag MX5 for general arsing about
    the caterham would fill up that role, albeit in a more focused manner.

Triumph ST1050
    northloop slag MX5

You are missing the fact you'll look like a ****ing hero driving one around Paris.

As for it getting damaged , a lot of that depends on where you park it i'm sure , and most bits for them seem to be silly cheap and readily available anyway. I'd bet its cheaper to replace a nose cone on one vs the bumper on most other cars. I watched a guy back his car into my mums outside my house this weekend and he had 6 foot backing up room and hit it pretty much without braking, he wasn't French.
    Ermmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by djuwenda View Post
    I have a daily golf, just ordered its Octavia replacement in fact.

That car is entirely paid for by work including personal fuel and personal use of toll motorways (a big cost in France)

at the moment I have the northloop track slag MX5 for general arsing about
    the caterham would fill up that role, albeit in a more focused manner.
    Makes sense!

If I were in the position for an expensive track toy again, Iíd definitely take a look at an Elise with AC and as many comfort factors as possible! Iím not sure if I would actually buy one, but Iíd look, purely because I suspect it would be that much more usable.
    BMW E90 330i Sport / Kawasaki ZX6R.
    Custodian and seller of Northloop stickers.

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Weeman View Post
    You are missing the fact you'll look like a ****ing hero driving one around Paris.
    one man's hero is another man's spunk socket.

we had our first rain in what felt like months here yesterday, I rushed home to get in to the mx and get it as sideways as I could on each and every roundabout I could find.

I felt like a hero, pretty sure everyone else thought I was a right twat

Triumph ST1050
    northloop slag MX5

If you are passing between frogland and oxford you can try my one on for size.

You'll need the cite air thing for it wont you with it being in Paris and good life insurance for the shit driving in the town.

Brave man lol
    Daily - i30N Performance
    Project - Astra Mk3 with Saab B204 engine (sitting in the garage)
    Track - Suzuki Swift ZC32 Ex Rent 4 Ring

Quote Originally Posted by Weeman View Post

As for it getting damaged , a lot of that depends on where you park it i'm sure , and most bits for them seem to be silly cheap and readily available anyway. I'd bet its cheaper to replace a nose cone on one vs the bumper on most other cars.

They have no impact protection, no bumpers etc. Most impacts on one will be a huge pain in the dick and v. exensive as you need to get the skin removed, replaced and repainted. You can't just swap a wing or a bumper.

I backed my Caterham into the front of my Polo at 5mph max and smashed a rear arch and dented the rear panel. It needed a new arch and had to have the whole rear panel cut off in the factory at Arch, a new one fitted and then all repainted to match. Any modern car wouldn't have been marked as per the Polo I hit whose plastic bumper was unmarked.

Any harder and they tend to bend the rear basket too and then you also have to start chopping tubes out of the spaceframe and replacing them. Even at the v. low speed mine was the outer bodywork skin hit the fuel tank. A fraction quicker and I imagine the tank would have bent and possibly compromised too. The arch shattered but not before it had tore the rivnuts out of the side skin and damaged that too. The racers fit the arches with plastic bolts for this reason so that they shear off and don't tear the alu sideskin.

Hit one on the side and it's the same story.

The front, sure you can replace the nosecone at low speed. Any higher and you're cutting the front spaceframe off and getting a front end welded back on and then the body reskinned.

Don't let it stop you getting one, would be a riot driving one around Paris. I just wouldn't assume that it won't get written off or smashed up v. quickly if you ever park it on the street there.

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev_G View Post
    You'll need the cite air thing for it wont you with it being in Paris and good life insurance for the shit driving in the town.

Brave man lol
    I am not technically in Paris , I am on the other side of Versailles, no need for me to take a good car to Paris when I have a motorcycle.

The shit driving here is a game, I take part in it and my mind is blown every time I get on the bike and play with the other bikers. its like no one cares whether they get home at night...

Triumph ST1050
    northloop slag MX5

Quote Originally Posted by djuwenda View Post
    I am not technically in Paris , I am on the other side of Versailles, no need for me to take a good car to Paris when I have a motorcycle.

The shit driving here is a game, I take part in it and my mind is blown every time I get on the bike and play with the other bikers. its like no one cares whether they get home at night...
    Sounds reasonable. I was going to suggest swapping out the momentary horn switch for a regular on/off type, and switching it on when you start your journey and off on arrival. I have a Mercedes customer who lives in Kensington who has asked for similar. Apparently his hand gets tired holding it on...
    Northloop.co.uk - at the forefront of political debate since Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by ste View Post
    They have no impact protection, no bumpers etc. Most impacts on one will be a huge pain in the dick and v. exensive as you need to get the skin removed, replaced and repainted. You can't just swap a wing or a bumper.

I backed my Caterham into the front of my Polo at 5mph max and smashed a rear arch and dented the rear panel. It needed a new arch and had to have the whole rear panel cut off in the factory at Arch, a new one fitted and then all repainted to match. Any modern car wouldn't have been marked as per the Polo I hit whose plastic bumper was unmarked.

Any harder and they tend to bend the rear basket too and then you also have to start chopping tubes out of the spaceframe and replacing them. Even at the v. low speed mine was the outer bodywork skin hit the fuel tank. A fraction quicker and I imagine the tank would have bent and possibly compromised too. The arch shattered but not before it had tore the rivnuts out of the side skin and damaged that too. The racers fit the arches with plastic bolts for this reason so that they shear off and don't tear the alu sideskin.

Hit one on the side and it's the same story.

The front, sure you can replace the nosecone at low speed. Any higher and you're cutting the front spaceframe off and getting a front end welded back on and then the body reskinned.

Don't let it stop you getting one, would be a riot driving one around Paris. I just wouldn't assume that it won't get written off or smashed up v. quickly if you ever park it on the street there.
    With your car based OCD you'd have it re-skinned for a stone chip
    Ermmmmm

Ha, fair.

+ Reply to Thread