+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Battery advice

Battery advice

Gents, the VX has been in storage since August of last year, sat on a Ctek charger. Iíve gone to start the car today and it threw a wobbler. The battery is showing 3.4v.

The ctek has been turned off and on a handful of times over the last 11 months, but otherwise itís been on all the time. Iíve ordered a new battery, but it seems odd the old one has gone flat. I thought trickle chargers were meant to stop that happening?

Any thoughts? Thanks

Do you think it could be a faulty charger...?

The place I use to store my cars has had numerous issues with their CTEK's, apparently the later versions are more reliable.
    FRP & A2

I've always found that batteries left connected die if left too long.

Disconnecting them completely can keep them going indefinitely.

How old was the battery?

Lead acid batteries have a finite life. In my experience it's normally about 10 years in day to day use.

When the battery discharges, in life, bits of lead fall off the plates and eventually short out a cell, which drains and kills the battery.

Battery conditioners/trickle chargers do not stop this happening: batteries are a consumable.
    It's literally a Diamond shaped Hell at times
    Woodland camping with Forest Schools on the Isle of Wight: campwight.co.uk

I’m not sure on the age of the battery, but it’s not the original the car came with.

I’ve had it on a reconditioning charge for 24hrs or so and it’s only showing 12v, so it’s no good! The eml light is flashing and it won’t start. My next issue is the car is parked against a wall and you’ll never guess what side the battery is on...

I also wondered if the ctek was dodgy, but it’s not that old, perhaps 2 years. I’ve got another charger, but it’ll require me to get the battery out the car, so it’s probably just as easy to change it for a new one. A Bosch is only £50.

I'd wait for another couple of years before buying a new battery. It's not like the VX gets used.....
    Simon no longer owes me anything, Dave does though.
    Floyd probably owes me at least twenty with the interest rolling up...

Regular
    I had similar with the Cosworth. Parked up for yonks (few years) with one of these things which didnít actually seem to do the battery any good & then the stupid Ctek packed in. Enough of this was my attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_r View Post
    A Bosch is only £50.
    Go Yuasa, would be my steer. My experiences with Bosch batteries lately have not been positive (see what I did there?)
    It's literally a Diamond shaped Hell at times
    Woodland camping with Forest Schools on the Isle of Wight: campwight.co.uk

So negative then?

Your battery sounds terminal Jon, probably not your volt though, they just die after a while. See if someone will cell you a new one amp not charge too much.

They had an Varta Silver in stock for delivery today (5 year guarantee) which had better numbers than the Bosch, so Iíve gone for that. Not actually sure when itíll get fitted though!

I know Steve, sadly lifeís got in the way this year and Iíve just had no opportunity to even look at it recently. Not ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by ste View Post
    So negative then?

Your battery sounds terminal Jon, probably not your volt though, they just die after a while. See if someone will cell you a new one amp not charge too much.

Regular
    On a whole arenít Yuassaís generally heavier ?
    Must be a good sign unless itís the casing.

Had no issues with my CTEK - Have left on batteries that looked dead (and removed from car) and after a few days on they are fully charged / regen'd (whatever the term is for the cycle to keep battery life up once charged)
    Jason - Oil burner
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOE4nbT5NGY 315bhp dyno run. Finally, 300+
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDUMEte1t50 13.4 second 1/4 @ The Pod

Regular
    Jon. Try charging the battery disconnected from the car, it might come back still.

Iíve used the same Accumate charger on my cars since 2003 & never had issues.
    SteveM owes me £5
    I owe Dan £5
    Steve. Pay the man!

GSF have a sale on, with big savings on... batteries...

https://www.gsfcarparts.com/virtualc...%20Car%20Parts
    "Fortunately, I'd taken a spare Gearbox, Turbo, Actuator, Banjo Connector, Steering Rack, Driveshafts, ECU, Wideband sensor, 57-51mm silicone reducing elbow and a Copper Banjo Washer." - Nige

As per Simon, I've used Accumate for years on my Oddessy PC680. Worked perfectly.
    BMW 3.0 Z4 Roadster. Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI T2. Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000.

+ Reply to Thread