+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Road trips

Road trips

After doing a few road trips in the past with a handful of mates to the Ring, Wales and Scotland we properly got into the touring thing with a tour of the Alps in June 2017. I was in the M140.

This was one of my favourite roads:

Trip video:

After this, the concept of “Grand Touring” was born; combining the best roads and the best hotels with people and cars who liked to make brisk (but safe) progress.

And in my quest to get a sunburnt forehead, the new steed was this:

First up was Scotland in May 2018; 20 cars and 5 days around the Highlands:

Including a half-day track experience at Knockhill:

As we had a drone with us, we couldn’t resist recreating our GT logo:

However, we soon realised that having a convoy of 20 cars presented its own problems:

Weather and scenery were fantastic though:

Here’s a short video of the trip:

Our second trip was to the Pyrenees in October 2018. We restricted this trip to 10 cars to alleviate the logistical problems experienced in Scotland. We drove down through France:

With an overnight at Le Mans:

We found a friendly go kart track (see video) and some great roads and views:

Some highlights of the trip:

We then undertook a joint venture with Classic Grand Touring via a 3 days tour of Wales in April 2019. It was a bit wet but we had a great time and there were some wonderful cars on the trip:

Video:

And just last week we toured around the Alps again:

Switzerland has the best scenery around almost every corner:

But also the odd Interpol checkpoint!

There were lots of bikes on the roads with us (and the odd one off the road):

We stopped to help and fortunately, he wasn’t injured and managed to ride home.

Apparently, “doggles” are a thing:

The Gross Glockner road in Austria is a must-do:

Returning to the UK via the German auto-bahn was a great way to eat up the mileage. Lane discipline on the continent was so much better than the UK:

[Highlights video to follow]
    Last edited by Steve C; 03-07-2019 at 02:08 PM.
    road: M140i
    track: 987.2 Boxster S
    weekends: Grand Touring

Regular
    Great trips. I did read with 'horror' the '20 cars' bit. 10 must be far more manageable but still a few too many ??
    Do you have a destination and meet there or all try to stay together through the day (That's sometimes hard enough with half a dozen bikes, let alone 10 cars)
    Be careful with what you have on video if stopped....oh, and sent you a PM
    If a man speaks his mind in a forest and no woman hears him...is he still wrong ?

Regular
    Very nice . Need to get a couple of trips under my belt in the Boxster. Taking Hannah over to Germany in August for 4 days to meet up with the Davidson’s, would love to do a Scottish trip sometime & a proper Euro tour.
    SteveM owes me £5
    I owe Dan £5
    Steve. Pay the man!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
    Great trips. I did read with 'horror' the '20 cars' bit. 10 must be far more manageable but still a few too many ??
    Do you have a destination and meet there or all try to stay together through the day (That's sometimes hard enough with half a dozen bikes, let alone 10 cars)
    Be careful with what you have on video if stopped....oh, and sent you a PM
    Keeping 10 cars together isn't too difficult as we all drive at a similar pace and are in radio contact. We do have to bunch up a bit in towns though.

We've been stopped a few times for routine checks and one time were asked to stop recording with dashcams (in Switzerland). We do generally stick to the speed limit on the straights, but I take your point about the possibility of the authorities viewing material on the cameras.

Regular
    Looks amazing! Would love to do a road trip one day.....

Some beautiful sights on these trips I bet
    Daily - Lean FR 1.4 (150) 5F
    Project - Astra Mk3 with Saab B204 engine (sitting in the garage)
    Track - Suzuki Swift ZC32 Ex Rent 4 Ring

Some great photos

Regular
    WINNING/WON

Any chance of sharing more details on routes and pics?

I've done and recognise a few of the passes. Totally agreed with Switzerland, I just shouldn't have averaged over 100 mph driving across it (we were running late). Akward 30 minute wait while they had our passports and a ticket with our entry and exit times on. Followed by a stern telling off and thankfully let on our way.
    About.me - Twitter: @iOlly - Laps: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post

Any chance of sharing more details on routes and pics?
    Yeah, sure. Give me few days to dig out the details and feel free to give me a nudge if I forget. :)

Thanks for taking the time to share those photos and reports. Looks like you found some cracking roads

I read that with horror, too TBH.

Green Lane Association recommendation (although it's for something slightly different) is for groups of a maximum of 4-5 vehicles.

How does public liability insurance work for running events of this nature?
    It's literally a Diamond shaped Hell at times
    Woodland camping with Forest Schools on the Isle of Wight: campwight.co.uk

Looks amazing.
    BMW E90 330i Sport / Kawasaki ZX6R.
    Custodian and seller of Northloop stickers.

Regular
    I’m also slightly uneasy with these (Scottish) road trips although it mainly stems from the ‘Steve Hyslop’ motorcycle motorcycle ride outs back in the day.
    Sadly there’s usually an element of recklessness involved as those involved fall foul of the temptation to operate beyond their ‘skillset’ as the roads are quiet & the dangers perhaps unseen or unfamiliar.
    I suppose it’s similar to those in Yorkshire with the ‘snake pass’.
    Our attitude was always ‘you’re not welcome’ & sadly that’s still the case. I mean we’ve enough of our own idiots without importing offences but I guess this is more aimed at ‘supercar idiots’.
    Sorry but probably worth saying.
    Scotland-it’s crap. Don’t bother.
    Last edited by Fitz711; 04-07-2019 at 07:17 PM.

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Hell View Post

How does public liability insurance work for running events of this nature?
    That’s for an event ? Something different I’d suggest.

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz711 View Post
    That’s for an event ? Something different I’d suggest.
    I'd not.
    Other gatherings would likely need a stated case when someone sues someone else as it's all gone tits up. Trips like these don't just organise themselves, generally someone does a fair bit of legwork to book digs and look at routes etc. I bet many are just groups of mates with a couple of mates of mates tagging along for good measure. People will vouch for others driving ability. I somehow doubt that many briefings take place. I doubt that there is someone nominally in charge but I can also foresee an occasion where an attendee doesn't come back. He stuffs his car off a cliff/into an oncoming logging truck etc...and his family demand answers. Fatal collision inquiry will uncover some stuff that folk wouldn't want airing. Silly speeds on roads subject to 60, 50 even 40 limits and lo and behold someone needs holding to account.
    *All just my own opinion but I am 99% sure I'll be pointing to this thread in the years to come...as someones world is turned upside down.

(Re this thread - 'Grand Touring' has a website and tours that people can pay to attend. Looking at Steves website, I am certain he has these bases covered, he has quite comprehensive
    T and Cs.)
    If a man speaks his mind in a forest and no woman hears him...is he still wrong ?

I see the usual doom mongers have arrived.

Regular
    La la la
    Last edited by Dave B; 04-07-2019 at 08:04 PM.

Timing.

My comment wasn't actually aimed at you Dave

Regular

Regular
    La la la
    http://www.counsel.direct/news/r-v-b...ewca-crim-1111

LOL LOL LOL, well I was glad I got to read what you put at least :D
    About.me - Twitter: @iOlly - Laps: 68

I’m also slightly uneasy with these (Scottish) road trips although it mainly stems from the ‘Steve Hyslop’ motorcycle motorcycle ride outs back in the day.
    Sadly there’s usually an element of recklessness involved as those involved fall foul of the temptation to operate beyond their ‘skillset’ as the roads are quiet & the dangers perhaps unseen or unfamiliar.
    I suppose it’s similar to those in Yorkshire with the ‘snake pass’.
    Our attitude was always ‘you’re not welcome’ & sadly that’s still the case. I mean we’ve enough of our own idiots without importing offences but I guess this is more aimed at ‘supercar idiots’.
    Sorry but probably worth saying.
    Scotland-it’s crap. Don’t bother.
    If independence ever arrives this will be actively encouraged as a revenue stream
    Northloop.co.uk - at the forefront of political debate since Tuesday.

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Benz View Post
    If independence ever arrives this will be actively encouraged as a revenue stream
    Groan re independence. It’s not going away & every opportunity is being made to keep it in the news but thankfully spending most of my time in Cumbria I don’t see it.

There’s not the infrastructure in place to deal with it-this was certainly my snapshot of it all on my recent (to Ullapool) tour of the NC500 & I think the SNP are in bed with the greens at the moment as there’s a hoo hah about a ‘pay for parking at work’ policy coming in- although there are ‘stakeholders’ who have cottoned onto it & are trying to make it a ‘thing’/structured.

Some good points guys, most of which we are aware of and feel we have covered. But always good to get feedback.

Regular
    http://www.grand-touring.co.uk/Scotland/

I like the look of this especially the effort made to go to Knockhill for the activities there
    There’s possibly a bit liability when you use the words ‘large helpings of adrenaline’ when talking about driving on public roads subject to the Road Traffic Act. As suggested Scotland’s got enough of their own idiots without needing to import anymore/not welcome is the message sadly.

DH-re your last post we may have found some common ground

Regular
    [url]
    There’s possibly a bit liability when you use the words ‘large helpings of adrenaline’ when talking about driving on public roads subject to the Road Traffic Act. As suggested Scotland’s got enough of their own idiots without needing to import anymore/not welcome is the message sadly.
    When you look at roads such as Bealach na Ba, Quairaing Pass in Scotland and pretty much any of the high passes in the Pyrenees, Alps and the Balcony roads in Southern France, the adrenaline part is covered easily within the speed limits.
    https://www.dangerousroads.org/europe/france/4467-balcony-roads-in-france.html

When I was last up North in May, I saw no ridiculous speeds by any of the few sports cars around. What we did hear, from a local at his cafe/campsite on North Skye, was to watch out for the unmarked Police Cars on Skye. There to try to curtail the morons who drive across from Inverness and try to break the sound barrier on the wide open sweeping roads of the Island. Bad driving has no place anywhere. Safe, progressive and well planned driving has. (Just don't get caught)

Regular
    Yes of course navigating the Bealach Na Ba does provide an adrenaline rush as you ‘push pull’ the steering round the hairpin bends but that ain’t within a 200 mile a day base out of Stirling so I’ll let you draw your own inferences as to how this is achieved.

As an aside I don’t know how much of it is true but PlodScotland have an unmarked Gt3 is what we were told.

It’s the old adage-speed doesn’t kill but inappropriate speed does.

Speed has nothing to do with it.

It's the sudden stop that'll finish you

Regular

As an aside I don’t know how much of it is true but PlodScotland have an unmarked Gt3 is what we were told.

Regular
    Jealous Dave ? 😉
    I’m guessing Yorkshire plod are as tight as those they protect.

Regular
    My chortling was just at the thought of a cash strapped Police Force running a GT3...unless it's a publicity vehicle in which case...where's the publicity ?

Regular
    There’s no better publicity than word of mouth ?
    We had a evo x down for a bit, was doing the rounds if I mind right. News spread like wildfire.

Regular
    Sorry, but I call bollox on it. Word of mouth? Where are the pics? where is the Pistonheads thread? Who told you about it ?
    What did an Evo cost £35k (so about £20k to the Polis) v a GT3 @ £120k plus (I doubt Porsche would discount as they know they aren't going to be selling hundreds to UK Forces)

Anyway, if they've got a GT3, hats off to them

Regular
    Well Dave that’s what we were told. Maybe it is bollox but with all due respect I’d guess you’re not an authority on all things Plod mate.

Well Dave that’s what we were told. Maybe it is bollox but with all due respect I’d guess you’re not an authority on all things Plod mate.
    I was at a Kent Police family and friends day last weekend. They had a BMW i8 jam sandwich there. Big sign on it - this is not a Kent Police vehicle.

I was sad that this was the case, but I guess in the current climate, they’d get more hate than love. Even from family and friends (but the regular punters were in the next day)

I think it was owned by 3M, showing off their latest reflective vinyls.
    BMW E90 330i Sport / Kawasaki ZX6R.
    Custodian and seller of Northloop stickers.

+ Reply to Thread