+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: £4K for a 2 seat roadster

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Roberts View Post
    Has he bought Kurt's car yet?
    No, because this is a HYPOTHETICAL thread.

Probably.

And, anyway, solicitors have made a royal f**k up of Dad's estate return to the revenue but we're booking a holiday in October first as we've saved for that already.

As for MR2, that's still a Hmmm. 190bhp sounds like a lot of fun but it's not as well packaged, and even less practical then an NC. I actually REALLY want a AE30 MX5, think it looks fantastic. But then an S1 Elise would be even betterer, even with the loss of much more practicality. Gutted to miss Ian's - the solicitors told me they were sending the paperwork the day before Ian headed off to Germany with it, then I discovered the cock-up they'd made.

So window shopping it is for just now. The old MG is still lying dormant as I don't have a clue whats happening yet. That's over a year since it was last driven.
    @ThrottleSteerer - Ex-Official Northloop Brat Custodian

Forever in debt to the famous NL Brat relay Team.
    Kent to Aberdeen (the scenic route) - December 2016

my 2p..

Get everything sorted , including the MG ( the owners club might be a place to find he 'right' custodian for it ) .

Then start thinking once the dust has settled.
    Simon no longer owes me anything, Dave does though.
    Floyd probably owes me at least twenty with the interest rolling up...

Quote Originally Posted by stevem View Post
    my 2p..

Get everything sorted , including the MG ( the owners club might be a place to find he 'right' custodian for it ) .

Iíd go with that.

Back to the cars, however...

1) Just get something that you really want. Even if it ****s the budget. Iíve owned things that the wider world recommends that you own, and things that I really want, and I know which are more satisfying (e.g. my Honda Blackbird is what many would have recommended for my kind of use, but I never felt the love).
    2) Do you want a car that you have to find a reason to use, or something that you have to have a reason not to use? My Caterham, and probably an Elise, are in that camp of finding a reason to use it - normally a very selfish one. Going to a meeting, popping to B&Q, nipping to see friends all sounds nice in principle, but on a wet Tuesday you just canít be ****ed. Which is fine if you can carve out 8 selfish sunny Sundays a year and drive the wheels off it. Something like my Z4, it was only many passengers or a big load that stopped me using it. There was rarely a thing that I couldnít or wouldnít do in that car. At least 10x more use as a result.
    BMW E90 330i Sport / Kawasaki ZX6R.
    Custodian and seller of Northloop stickers.

Quote Originally Posted by stevem View Post
    my 2p..

Indeed, which is why the thread was hypothetical. But I freely admit my head is up my arse with this whole situation and I'm not rushing into anything.

MG was always meant to stay with me but the value of it is a bit mad, if I'm honest. Top that off with this year being proof that, not having driven it, it hasn't been missed, unfortunately. It really is a car that you need to find a reason to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsaunders View Post
    Iíd go with that.

Back to the cars, however...

1) Just get something that you really want. Even if it ****s the budget. Iíve owned things that the wider world recommends that you own, and things that I really want, and I know which are more satisfying (e.g. my Honda Blackbird is what many would have recommended for my kind of use, but I never felt the love).
    2) Do you want a car that you have to find a reason to use, or something that you have to have a reason not to use? My Caterham, and probably an Elise, are in that camp of finding a reason to use it - normally a very selfish one. Going to a meeting, popping to B&Q, nipping to see friends all sounds nice in principle, but on a wet Tuesday you just canít be ****ed. Which is fine if you can carve out 8 selfish sunny Sundays a year and drive the wheels off it. Something like my Z4, it was only many passengers or a big load that stopped me using it. There was rarely a thing that I couldnít or wouldnít do in that car. At least 10x more use as a result.

Yeah, a bit of that TBH. A 7 would fall into the reason to use category, but I think an Elise wouldn't necessarily. The MG is a car that you drive to/from work occasionally, maybe to/from a field of bearded men talking about SU carbs (not my thing at all) but I can't even take the kids out in it, there are no seatbelts. At least I can probably find a high-backed booster seat to fit an offspring into an Elise seat. Surely.
    @ThrottleSteerer - Ex-Official Northloop Brat Custodian

Forever in debt to the famous NL Brat relay Team.
    Kent to Aberdeen (the scenic route) - December 2016

Quote Originally Posted by findlay View Post
    At least I can probably find a high-backed booster seat to fit an offspring into an Elise seat. Surely.
    Volvo booster seat fits a tillet perfectly. Walker has one for when he goes out with the small boy.

I have this issue with the XK150, it’s beautiful, but it’d be an ornamental addition and wasted on me. Hypothetically of course.

There’s no harm in replacing something your Dad dearly loved with something you’ll do likewise - he’s passed on the ability of treasuring of something and sharing that with your kids, as he did with you, rather than the metal itself.
    Takes a lot of skill to look this bad you know...

+ Reply to Thread