+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: BMW M2 Competition

I have a DCT M2, very nice road car. A 140i is probably faster but the m2 has real presence on the road that photos do not do it justice imo.

Competition has a lot more tuning potential.

Not sure if the competition is the same but the throttle mapping is really lazy, makes the car feel sluggish and requires a lot more throttle input than expected.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by c_w; 28-06-2019 at 07:59 PM.

Nice. My mate tells me that this is the same engine as the M4. Just de-tuned. Get it mapped!
    Sponsored by Floyd.

987.1 Boxster S
    F21 120d Msport

Quote Originally Posted by Chris D View Post
    Nice. My mate tells me that this is the same engine as the M4. Just de-tuned. Get it mapped!
    I'd leave it standard if I were you. Have a read about slipping crank pulleys. Only happens on tuned cars afaik.
    Northloop.co.uk - at the forefront of political debate since Tuesday.

Cool car GK congrats.

Pioneer of the Northloop lunge
    Daily: Ford Kuga 2.0 tdci - Family wagon
    SteveM owes me £5.

Decide now if you want a service pack as BMW have decided to stop selling them as of 30th June.
    F80 M3. Missing a man up button and an M140i for good measure

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Benz View Post
    I'd leave it standard if I were you. Have a read about slipping crank pulleys. Only happens on tuned cars afaik.
    I read a Litchfield blog post saying it can affect stock engines too. Isn't there a cheap fix in any case?

https://www.litchfieldmotors.com/blo...rank-hub-issue
    road: M140i
    track: 987.2 Boxster S
    weekends: Grand Touring

I personally have no first hand knowledge of this failure on a stock engine, but that isn't to say it hasn't happened. I know of some modified cars that have slipped, the mods removed back to stock and then going to BMW and claiming under warranty. That isn't quite the same thing. I'd like to say it isn't common, but actually it seems it rather is.

Cranking a quarter turn on the bolt and fitting a capture plate is a bodge to anyone with an engineering background, but when the design is flawed in the first place what's the harm in a pikey fix?
    Last edited by Uncle Benz; 29-06-2019 at 01:29 PM.

It can happen on stock engines too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    It can happen on stock engines too.
    Have you seen one?

Does anyone remember a chap on here moaning there wasn't going to be enough in his pension fund? His name escapes me

Nice buy
    Dunlop Direzzas. Officially better than aero.

Have you seen one?

There are 100's of failures on cars I haven't seen, but have read enough by people who have to know about stuff like the Porsche ims bearing or Focus RS head gasket.

There seem to be more than a couple of examples of issues on stock engines to write off as just a one off failure.

I agree, the splined replacement just seems a bit of a bodge

There are 100's of failures on cars I haven't seen, but have read enough by people who have to know about stuff like the Porsche ims bearing or Focus RS head gasket.

There seem to be more than a couple of examples of issues on stock engines to write off as just a one off failure.

I agree, the splined replacement just seems a bit of a bodge

If you read my post #58, i have seen half a dozen at least of these failures. Bootmod3 is a common theme. These are modified via your phone, and reversed just as quick. Its 100 bhp for a very small investment. I have personally seen cars returned to stock and pushed to the dealer for repair under warranty. It is in their own interest to declare the car was stock. BMW would refuse to fix it for free if it wasn't. Are these people going to say publically the car was stock? Of course they are.

Like I say, I haven't seen a GENUINELY stock car have this problem. I'm not denying it can happen, but I haven't seen it yet. I would take things you read on the internet with a pinch of salt. :-)

I would take things you read on the internet with a pinch of salt. :-)
    Wait, what

You mean not everything on the Internet is true?

Wait, what
    Wow. Surprising to hear a Brit (and a Northern one at that!) using a phrase pretty much coined by Paris Hilton
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Benz
    Nige would be turning in his shed
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige
    Have you seen my bottom nuts?

Quote Originally Posted by Stace View Post
    Does anyone remember a chap on here moaning there wasn't going to be enough in his pension fund? His name escapes me

Nice buy
    I might be dead by the time I get to 66
    I'm arresting you for murdering my car you dyke digging tosspot

. Have a read about slipping crank pulleys. .
    Why do the germans keep re-inventing the wheel ? Woodruff keys never failed.

Has anyone seen the wonderfull plastic sump complete with plastic sump plug on the Audi's now.

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrim View Post
    Well, there was that one time with the MK1 MX5...
    "Fortunately, I'd taken a spare Gearbox, Turbo, Actuator, Banjo Connector, Steering Rack, Driveshafts, ECU, Wideband sensor, 57-51mm silicone reducing elbow and a Copper Banjo Washer." - Nige

Has anyone seen the wonderfull plastic sump complete with plastic sump plug on the Audi's now.
    Been doing them for ages. Plastic sump on mercedes om651 since 2009. Ten years!
    Last edited by Uncle Benz; 30-06-2019 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewt View Post
    Decide now if you want a service pack as BMW have decided to stop selling them as of 30th June.
    Took the decision to go with the pack for piece of mind. RIS is £333 so that's a chunk of the money within the first couple of weeks anyway. Rang them to organise but nobody in to sort it, but pushed and have it on writing from BMW UK that they will honour it tomorrow come what may.

Thanks for pointing the deadline out

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Kinghorn View Post
    Took the decision to go with the pack for piece of mind. RIS is £333 so that's a chunk of the money within the first couple of weeks anyway. Rang them to organise but nobody in to sort it, but pushed and have it on writing from BMW UK that they will honour it tomorrow come what may.

Thanks for pointing the deadline out
    I think itís the right choice. Bmw are pretty good at honouring these things. Mine is the full fat 5 year pack that was discontinued in Jan 17, however as mine was delayed due to the production pause and it was delivered in March they honoured it.

You should need both the RIS, two year service and brake fluid assuming you donít do many miles. If you do more miles you obviously need more. My 2 year service was only 18 months after the RIS as it took me a while to do the 1200 miles. Youíll probably break even with the pack.

When do you collect it?
    F80 M3. Missing a man up button and an M140i for good measure

Not sure yet. That's the job for tomorrow. Been at centre Parcs for the weekend, so no chance to badger them about it. They do however know I want it for FOS friday, so that's the target.

Donít forget to run it in!

Do BMW give you a written statement to prove it's not voided its running in procedure yet, given its used???
    Takes a lot of skill to look this bad you know...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Roberts View Post
    Do BMW give you a written statement to prove it's not voided its running in procedure yet, given its used???
    Not sure what you mean. It's on 120 miles and I've put a good few of them on. I assume a bit of too and fro, plus maybe a demo or two. The sales team were very strict with me with how I drove it, so I can only assume the same is true with others. Still only 10% of its running in miles complete to date.

Spoke to them today as their web site still shows it for sale and my
    deposit hasn't come out yet. All good though, nothing has changed.

Really looking forward to taking delivery though. I think the last car I was this seriously excited about was my TVR. A bit like going on holiday though, you're never truly settled until you're past passport control, everything checked and actually sitting on the plane ready to take off.... Unless Oakie is driving of course, because he bounces them on landing

I guess if there was a rule ‘don’t rev it past 5000 rpm’ until 1200 miles, otherwise the ECU will snitch on you, then do they check that’s not actually happened before handing it over?

We’ve proven we’ve done 120 miles as per the book, the rest is on you to follow the rules style.

Moot point, as like you said it’ll have been cosseted on pain of death. :)

I’d be climbing the walls waiting for that, it’ll be a fun day for sure.
    Last edited by Mike Roberts; 30-06-2019 at 10:25 PM.
    Takes a lot of skill to look this bad you know...

Proper car
    The Forces' Motorsport Charity
    www.missionmotorsport.org

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Roberts View Post
    I guess if there was a rule Ďdonít rev it past 5000 rpmí until 1200 miles, otherwise the ECU will snitch on you, then do they check thatís not actually happened before handing it over?

Weíve proven weíve done 120 miles as per the book, the rest is on you to follow the rules style.

Moot point, as like you said itíll have been cosseted on pain of death. :)

Iíd be climbing the walls waiting for that, itíll be a fun day for sure.
    It all sounds a bit difficult and fragile, along with the crank issue. Can the general public really be trusted not to thrash it in?
    BMW 3.0 Z4 Roadster. Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI T2. Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000.

I pick it up on Wednesday and it will be driven carefully as recommended by BMW

Nice car, hope you enjoy it Gary :D

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Kinghorn View Post
    I pick it up on Wednesday and it will be driven carefully as recommended by BMW

If I bought one Iíd leave the showroom like this.

Any reason the engine isn't run in on a dyno to create a ready-to-use product?
    Last edited by N/B; 01-07-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Regular
    Cost Iíd guess, full fat M cars have always been this way & if the running in service is missed or outside the recommend window then bye bye any warranty claim.
    SteveM owes me £5
    I owe Dan £5
    Steve. Pay the man!

Quote Originally Posted by N/B View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
    Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by N/B View Post
    Any reason the engine isn't run in on a dyno to create a ready-to-use product?
    Time / money

Time / money
    It is also a bit of M legend, and extra servicing money; I wonder how relevant it is these days?
    BMW E90 330i Sport / Kawasaki ZX6R.
    Custodian and seller of Northloop stickers.

So BMW can save a heap of money by sending cars out the door with cheap shite oil in them, then make the customer pay for the good stuff a few weeks down the line. M is for Mug. ;-)

No ****ing clue

So BMW can save a heap of money by sending cars out the door with cheap shite oil in them, then make the customer pay for the good stuff a few weeks down the line. M is for Mug. ;-)
    M is for money-spinner

M is for my want one

From an engineering pov I bet car manufacturers *could* be at a point where a car could last pretty much forever, but planned obsolescence means they design in stupid things enough to get them mostly through warranty periods without issues and sell more new cars. Like VAG cars with an oil drive that rounds off because it didnt fit properly with a tiny amount of engagement .

If I bought one Iíd leave the showroom like this.

When I used to take my Dodge for a service at the dealership in Saudi I'd insist on only handing the keys over to the service manager, and he'd go and brief the "technician" that I was a special VIP customer so he had to take extra care because the car was immaculate.

Once the oil change was done I'd invariably leave the forecourt sideways in a cloud of smoke. Normally my tyre marks from the previous visit would still be visible on my next

Congrats Gazza - you're the man now

Trackday sir?

Regular
    DN22????? Looking forward to pics on Wednesday/tomorrow :D. EPIC purchase!!!!!!!!
    About.me - Twitter: @iOlly - Laps: 68

Friend has a car detailing company, so next weekend it's off there for a couple of days for single stage machine polish, coating etc etc. I might as well get it protected properly from the start and have a fighting chance of keeping it nice through my ownership. But in advance of that I've got two trips to the FOS planned.

Did the dreaded insurance earlier. My policy runs out at the end of August, so a couple of months worth.

"There's going to be a charge for this sir"
    "Hmmmm, I bet there is"
    "That will be £8.40 to get you to your renewal date"
    "Errrr ok then"

One of the benefits of being old

Quote Originally Posted by c_w View Post
    From an engineering pov I bet car manufacturers *could* be at a point where a car could last pretty much forever, but planned obsolescence means they design in stupid things enough to get them mostly through warranty periods without issues and sell more new cars. Like VAG cars with an oil drive that rounds off because it didnt fit properly with a tiny amount of engagement .
    The 90's jap cars were at this point. They only ever come off the road when they are so dented the owners are embarresed to drive them .

Congrats on the car BTW. These are a very tempting proposition on a lease, just I dont think id see out the 3 years with it in one peice.
    Last edited by pilgrim; 02-07-2019 at 05:48 PM.

Regular
    Bet he's already gone to bed, like a kid on Christmas Eve, the earlier in bed, the quicker tomorrow comes...

And I bet he doesn't sleep, (I'm excited for you Gary. )
    If a man speaks his mind in a forest and no woman hears him...is he still wrong ?

Whisky has helped me sleep Dave

+ Reply to Thread