+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What car should go?

What car should go?

Hi guys,
    I have two old cars the MK2 Golf and the MK2 Scirocco, both require a full rebuild and that has been the plan but as life goes on (and now two kinds) i am finding less and less time.

The idea was to make the Scirocco a road car and the Golf fully track focused. I donít need another road car so I want one track car - I have engines, gearboxes, exhausts etc etc for both cars - just need to decide on which one to keep working on.

Iím swaying towards the Scirocco because itís lighter weight (850kg vs 1000kg) and better aerodynamics.

Any thoughts appreciated (I donít want to keep both cars anymore because they are taking up space that could be better used).
    VW Golf MK2 16v build here
    Audi A3 3.2L Scirocco MK2 GT2
    Skoda Kodiaq Sportline 4x4 190

I think yours is the early Scirocco ? If so does it have a subframe or not. From an installation and modification point of view, the MK2 setup is easier to work on and modify imo.

That's a fair weight saving, but also look at what else you plan to do, wheels, suspension etc. Which is most readily available ?

Regular
    Scirocco if at all possible, because cool
    SteveM owes me £5
    I owe Dan £5
    Steve. Pay the man!

All scirocco (well, bar the modern crap one) run the mk1 golf style of front and rear end. There is no front subframe. That's why they are light. The Corrado was based on the mk2 golf platform.

I used to own a mk1 scirocco back in the day. It was a 1.6 gti. I fitted the later mk2 8v 1.8 engine to it, and it was a cool thing. Sadly virtually all mk1 have rusted away. Tom's is a mk2.
    Last edited by Uncle Benz; 27-06-2019 at 11:39 AM.
    Northloop.co.uk - at the forefront of political debate since Tuesday.

Which one do you personally feel most invested in, emotionally? Keep that one. You canít replace that affection.

Iím guessing that in 20 years, Golf shells will still be commonplace, the ĎRocco will be hens teeth. That said, given their relative popularity, it will probably only cost you time, not money, to dig out a ĎRocco shell, especially with your fabrication skills.
    BMW E90 330i Sport / Kawasaki ZX6R.
    Custodian and seller of Northloop stickers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    I think yours is the early Scirocco ? If so does it have a subframe or not. From an installation and modification point of view, the MK2 setup is easier to work on and modify imo.

That's a fair weight saving, but also look at what else you plan to do, wheels, suspension etc. Which is most readily available ?
    I don’t think the lack of subframe puts me off at all. I plan to modify the hubs, wishbones etc anyway. I quite like the fact the engine and gearbox mount off the body on the Scirocco. I am probably going to run 17inch wheels on either platform and I have suspension, brakes, engine mounts etc etc that will fit either platform - I collected pretty much everything to do both cars.

The fuel tanks more centrally located on the Scirocco - under the rear seats - which is better for overall weight distribution.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsaunders View Post
    Which one do you personally feel most invested in, emotionally? Keep that one. You can’t replace that affection.

I’m guessing that in 20 years, Golf shells will still be commonplace, the ‘Rocco will be hens teeth. That said, given their relative popularity, it will probably only cost you time, not money, to dig out a ‘Rocco shell, especially with your fabrication skills.
    I think the emotional attachment to the Golf (my brother owned it before me - it’s been in the family at least a decade now) is the only reason I still have it (and the condition of the body) but I don’t think the Golf will make the better track car.

Quote Originally Posted by thesmudge View Post
    I am probably going to run 17inch wheels on either platform
    In my experience, the older the car, the worse it looks on 17`s unless extensive body and arch modification is carried out.

The proportions look wrong.

I`m not saying it can't be done, I think my MK2 looks fine on 17`s but only because of the large arches and side skirts. Remove those and they look too big. In my opinion.

In my experience, the older the car, the worse it looks on 17`s unless extensive body and arch modification is carried out.

The proportions look wrong.

I`m not saying it can't be done, I think my MK2 looks fine on 17`s but only because of the large arches and side skirts. Remove those and they look too big. In my opinion.
    I would be adding berg cup style arches therefore can make them fit 17 or 15 if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by thesmudge View Post
    I think the emotional attachment to the Golf (my brother owned it before me - itís been in the family at least a decade now) is the only reason I still have it (and the condition of the body) but I donít think the Golf will make the better track car.
    If you want the best track car, sell both and buy a Caterfield...

For me, track cars are always a labour of love and a money pit. You need a little bit of love in there to get you going through the annoying bits.
    BMW E90 330i Sport / Kawasaki ZX6R.
    Custodian and seller of Northloop stickers.

Regular
    Scirocco, Berg cup style - yummy!
    Too many cars...

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    Scirocco, Berg cup style - yummy!
    Thatís what Iím thinking. Shame to say goodbye to the Golf but itís looking highly likely!

Do you have time to even start on this project

I suspect this will be a slow burner

Do you have time to even start on this project

I suspect this will be a slow burner
    Ha, I have small amounts of time (mostly spent on the house really - the Scirocco has been slow burner for the last three years - I’ve done a lot of the planning, wiring, smaller changes etc but there is a lot left to do!)

It would be good to make the decision and then strip the golf and sell off all the extras I have gathered for its renovation, that alone can be done around a newborn easily which means in the future I can then crack on with the Rocco (and there are some smaller jobs that can be broken down in to a few minutes here and there) - must start a build thread for it to show the progress so far.

Keep the Rocco
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Benz
    Nige would be turning in his shed
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige
    Have you seen my bottom nuts?

+ Reply to Thread