+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bedford Mon 10th June.

Bedford Mon 10th June.

Just booked onto Bedford with MSV.

Haven`t done is for ages. The date was set aside for a Mission Motorsport day at Blyton but they had to cancel it.

Seeing as the day was free and I have a few things I need to check before Ringmeisters I thought I`d give it a go. Dyno booked for the 3rd so plenty of time to put the splitter etc back on

I know it`s not a well liked venue on here and with it being a Monday, not sure if anyone else fancied it but thought I`d mention it anyway.

If you do want to book, use code BEMZMSVT and it knocks 10% off any MSV day.

As I have had to do things on the 130i new brakes full suspension overhaul and LSD all my trackdays are booked September onwards spa, ring silverstone etc, so I booked a cheeky evening at Bedford in August as a test day, I like the place personally, lot of fun if a few of you. It is what it is, and usually cheap

If I can convince work to let me book my flight back to Afg a day later then I'll come along

You will need to let me onto the back straight first, so we can experience the full aural pleasure on your in-car footage as chavved up shopping car destroys a muscle car in a straight line

Quote Originally Posted by dex View Post
    as chavved up shopping car destroys a muscle car in a straight line

It'd be good to see you again Andy is yours quiet enough for Bedford?

Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post

It'd be good to see you again Andy is yours quiet enough for Bedford?
    Last time out at Mallory the loudest sound was the tyre wall going "OH F*CK!" when it saw it was about to get flattened by 2 tons of 'Murican Freedom

Good point though - I would definitely need to take it easy in the first few laps and give them a chance to warn me if I'm getting close to the limits. The problem is that the sound-proofing in the car is so good that you don't realise just how much noise you're making

Looks like I've had approval to slip my flight back to Afg by a day, so I should be able to attend! I'm unlikely to be doing endless laps like I used to in the Mazda but I'm definitely up for a pax ride in the Pinderwagen if one is available

Booked in - cheers for the discount code, it took 10% off the instruction too

I'm unlikely to be doing endless laps like I used to in the Mazda but I'm definitely up for a pax ride in the Pinderwagen if one is available
    It certainly is. I think you`ll like it

If you could take my mate Gav who is coming with me out for a session in return that`d be splendid

Just booked on this. Had the day off for the MM day so it would be rude not to get out.
    Simon no longer owes me anything, Dave does though.
    Floyd probably owes me at least twenty with the interest rolling up...

Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    It certainly is. I think you`ll like it

If you could take my mate Gav who is coming with me out for a session in return that`d be splendid
    Not a problem - he'll find the "sports armchairs" in the Dodge to be an entirely pleasant place to be thrown around out of due to excessive body roll

I am confident that the 5% difference in power/weight ratio will have far less of an impact on my outright speed than my lack of ability will...

I didn't see an option for booking garages - did you see anything?

Quote Originally Posted by stevem View Post
    Just booked on this. Had the day off for the MM day so it would be rude not to get out.

Since Nige and I seem to have covered off both The Sublime and The Ridiculous - will you be bringing a Happy Medium?

Since Nige and I seem to have covered off both The Sublime and The Ridiculous - will you be bringing a Happy Medium?
    I can guarantee it will have many less horsepowers than either.

Oh ace!

I can guarantee it will have many less horsepowers than either.
    It's ok - as long as I know it's you I'll pull right and lift

I don't mean to worry you Nige - but the car is having uprated, adjustable, anti-roll bars fitted as we speak - and I've even treated myself to a new set of brake pads!

So I think it's fair to say you'll find me riding your back bumper wanting you to get out of the way through the corners at Bedford*

(*this will only happen in the event of brake failure, and only once )

Well today was awesome. Wet enough that they had to stop for lunch early to remove the lake on one corner and they cancelled the evening session completely.

Did a bucket load of laps and only came in when it was raining so hard I couldn't see anymore, or I was about to run out of petrol. Didn't count but there was two full tanks of JP's finest ..

One of those days where the direction of the wheel bears very little resemblance to that of travel.

What a really splendid day!

Admittedly, 9c and constant rain wasn't exactly my plan for my June R&R Trackday, but it certainly felt more like home than constant sunshine would...

Luckily I'd decided to fit the new rear Michelin PSS rather than risk the part-worn (burn out ) set - I doubt I'd have even made it round the first corner otherwise.

Needless to say my car was absolutely fine at the static noise test, and then got Noise boards on the out lap from every Marshal post for the driveby. Thus started the game of WOT-Coast-WOT every time I came to a sound meter

I resisted the urge to jump in for a pax lap with Steve (I hadn't brought my SCUBA with me) but it was great fun following him for a couple of laps and watching just how much work was going into the steering - it seemed that most of the time the car pointed one way, the front wheels another and neither seems to match the direction of travel. Exactly how a Caterfield should be driven!

I also (finally) managed to get in for a pax lap in the Pinderwagen, after only 20 years or so of trying to make it happen and other things getting in the way. I might be slightly exagerating, but the car was normally aspirated when I first wanted a go - by the time I got out in it there was 440bhp.
    In the wet.
    Really, very wet.

Basically, it's every bit as epic as it always was - but turned up to 11 and with Toyo wet weather tyres. It truly is ridiculously good.
    (Nige is alright too, I suppose. When he's not getting carried away with showing off and just drives the thing really bloody fast )

As for my car - with the amount of water around people would have been forgiven for thinking a cross channel ferry had taken a wrong turn at the Isle of Wight and ended up berthing at Bedford.
    One of the most fun things at the previous trackday (Mallory) was just how entirely incongruous the Dodge looks in a trackday paddock. The exact same thing applied at Bedford, even more so with the weather being a bit grey and rainy and the Dodge being vast, white and shiny.
    On track it was just as vast, and somewhat neutered on the straights by the noise meters and in the corners by being two tons of muscle car. However, I will still argue that it's outrageously competent, even on a wet track on road tyres, for something that big/heavy/comfy. Apparently it still sounded pretty great too

Cheers for posting up the date Nige - it was definitely worth me slipping my return flight by 24 hours so I could attend.

(PS - Snetterton 300 in the dry next time please!)

+ Reply to Thread