+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What go-pro type camera?

What go-pro type camera?

I have an old one. Probably a mk1 or maybe 2. I know the game has moved on a fair bit since. I want something for the rally car. It needs to work off a remote control. It's hard setting the old one running and everything is a bit of a blur when we get to the line. So loosening belts to lean back, turn the camera on and check if it's running with the Hans on, is not easy. So a remote control. It needs to have spot metering, so I can get it to meter outside of the car, rather than in the car and externally everything is burnt out. It needs to have a mic I can plug in to the Nav system. We want to start hearing the notes etc on vids.

So what's out there? Without much looking I would go for a go-pro again and find a remote (not off my phone), I can strap to my arm, or some such thing.

Recommendations?
    I'm arresting you for murdering my car you dyke digging tosspot

Regular
    i have just been gifted a no-pro

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JEEMAK-Unde...+action+camera

I used for two weeks of sowboarding and its been ace.

Came with a complete raft of accessories and mounts, waterproof case, spare battery and a remote control, the lot.

The picture quality is indeed inferior to that of a go pro hero 5 but not by an awful amount, and its price is probably not much more than a tenth of the gopro's
    the older I get, the faster I used to be.

Triumph ST1050
    northloop slag MX5

^^^^ looks good
    BMW 3.0 Z4 Roadster. Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI T2. Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000.

I have the Crosstour equivalent to djuwenda's one, although it doesn't have a physical remote (mobile phone app does that job). It cost me 28, and it's good enough for me. I don't use it often or intensively enough to justify a larger investment.
    "Fortunately, I'd taken a spare Gearbox, Turbo, Actuator, Banjo Connector, Steering Rack, Driveshafts, ECU, Wideband sensor, 57-51mm silicone reducing elbow and a Copper Banjo Washer." - Nige

Get a virb360 camera

I would *LOVE* to be able to see the inside as well as the outside

Remote control via phone and can be controlled by multiple, so you could get an old shit one that you use solely for turning it on

I've just bought a pair of Hawkeye Firefly 8SE cameras.

1 with a 90 degreee FOV and one with a 170 FOV.

Largely speaking, of all the cameras for sale they all do 1080p with decent image stabilisation, and many will do 4k (as does the Firefly)

Reading the reviews, It seems like the 8se has one of the best onboard audio arrangements of all the cheaper cameras, and also comes with an external mic which made it doubly attractive to me.

I've gone with a 90 degree FOV for the main forward facing camera which just captures from A-pillar to A-pillar, and a 170 degree cam to sit in the corner of the windscreen looking back at driver and passenger together.

https://www.banggood.com/Hawkeye-Fir...r_warehouse=CN
    Wrong-wheel Drive, Turbocharged, and proud!

A3 track car

Will have a look at your suggestions

I don't want something that uses a phone, I need it to be on a remote that I can wear on a sleeve, attach to the cage or some such thing.

With a Florida holiday coming up in a couple of months I decided to bite the bullet and bought a hero 7 black, and a couple of bits and bobs like a remote control. When the holiday is done it will be used in the rally car. At least that's the plan, although if I enjoy using it I have a feeling it will get plenty of other outings too. Maybe Goodwood FOS will be a good starting place actually

I went to DN21 and took my go pro as i do to every track day / travel destination.

Put it on for a lap and that was it. Soon as I got home banged it for sale and sold it within a hour with all the bits. Week later I thought "oh ill get the go pro and try something" then realised i'd sold it.

So once in 5 years I actually went to use it Think in total used it 4 times. IF I need or want one ill buy a cheap one next time.
    Daily - i30N Performance
    Project - Astra Mk3 with Saab B204 engine (sitting in the garage)
    Track - Suzuki Swift ZC32 Ex Rent 4 Ring

Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    I've just bought a pair of Hawkeye Firefly 8SE cameras.

1 with a 90 degreee FOV and one with a 170 FOV.

Largely speaking, of all the cameras for sale they all do 1080p with decent image stabilisation, and many will do 4k (as does the Firefly)

Reading the reviews, It seems like the 8se has one of the best onboard audio arrangements of all the cheaper cameras, and also comes with an external mic which made it doubly attractive to me.

I've gone with a 90 degree FOV for the main forward facing camera which just captures from A-pillar to A-pillar, and a 170 degree cam to sit in the corner of the windscreen looking back at driver and passenger together.

https://www.banggood.com/Hawkeye-Fir...r_warehouse=CN
    Ok so with going to a few water parks etc soon looking at these again and well I'd like to video spa when I go. I love the one Prawn has listed seems to fit it all and it would be the 170 degree one looks ideal.

HOWEVER

the one djuwenda posted has been updated here -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jeemak-Wate...dp_ob_title_ce

I am just unsure on the low light as being in a car will it be really grainy - I don't know.
    Daily - i30N Performance
    Project - Astra Mk3 with Saab B204 engine (sitting in the garage)
    Track - Suzuki Swift ZC32 Ex Rent 4 Ring

+ Reply to Thread