+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: F1 2019.

Great race.

Is it me or is everyone overlooking Sainz started P19 and finished P8. That's pretty good for McLaren these days.

Lando drove a fantastic race too. Managed to pass Kimi pretty sharpish which again I thought was good considering Gasly strung it out for about 40 laps in a car that won the race.

Fair play to Max. I'm not a fan but he drove a great race (apart from his bottled start). I also thought the overtake was fair. That was always going to happen if Charles showed him up the inside. Max doesn't tiptoe about, does he.

Looking forward to Silverstone now. Fingers crossed for some decent weather.

Silverstone this week!

Who's going?

I'll be there Sunday. Club A stand.

Weather looks decent.

Regular
    Won’t be going-should really one day though.

Hasn’t there been some development on the rear of the McLaren that benefits it on exiting fast corners. They’re looking for a strong Silverstone.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/4...n-2019-uptick/

Quote Originally Posted by stava View Post
    Silverstone this week!

Who's going?

I'll be there Sunday. Club A stand.

Weather looks decent.
    Matt and I are

Really looking forward to it too. Being close enough to watch a Modern F1 car through the Copse then into Maggots should give a pretty good appreciation of just how fast they are

We're only there Sunday too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    Matt and I are

Really looking forward to it too. Being close enough to watch a Modern F1 car through the Copse then into Maggots should give a pretty good appreciation of just how fast they are

We're only there Sunday too.
    See if you can pass on some aero tips to Williams.
    E30 325 shared ownership track car
    TT Roadster

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world."

So Rich Energy And Haas have split, funny that and Silverstone have signed for another five years

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rossm View Post
    So Rich Energy And Haas have split, funny that and Silverstone have signed for another five years
    I'm not sure that they have. The plot thickens...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/r...-deal/4492346/

Does anyone follow Rich Energy on Twitter? Absolute bunch of bell cranks.

Off you f**k, lads.

Regular
    I enjoyed that but safety car did play a part.
    Good to see some ‘argy bargy’.

Interesting comment that Schumacher at the end of his career starting banging into folk-similar to what Vettel is doing now one wonders.
    I hope the Pinders (Gingers) took their sun cream.

Great race today. Only listened to it on radio5 but wow.
    F80 M3. Missing a man up button and an M140i for good measure

Regular
    Really enjoyed that, great racing

& Seb. Oh dear oh dear
    SteveM owes me £5
    I owe Dan £5
    Steve. Pay the man!

Regular
    Brilliant early race battle between Bottas and the Hamster.

And the battle between Verstappen and Leclerc. !!!! Proper racing, no dodgy moves, no wussing, just proper.

Seb leaves Ferrari end of year?
    Must not finish 8th. Must not finish 8th. Must not finish 8th

No mention of the cricket anywhere....

REALLY?????

Only the best final in the history of the world!

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by leavingeasy View Post

REALLY?????

Watched the last hour of the cricket, agree, even I was hooked
    SteveM owes me £5
    I owe Dan £5
    Steve. Pay the man!

Just finished watching the race on sky+
    What a fantastic race and great result for Lewis!
    No fast forwarding at all lol

Awesome driving by a number of them, except Seb... again!
    Another mistake made while under pressure.

Loved the Leclerc vs Verstappen.
    Weekend/Track Car - Lotus Elise S3 220sc
    Daily drive - 420d Msport

REALLY?????

Well this is the F1 thread

REALLY?????

We won. Let's all move on
    Dunlop Direzzas. Officially better than aero.

Tennis, cricket and F1 - all pretty awesome today

REALLY?????

There might be in the cricket thread

Fantastic race and what a brilliant atmosphere

Quote Originally Posted by Stace View Post
    We won. Let's all move on
    Was in co-op and a bunch of excited 'foreigners' were in there buying booze. They told the cashier they were celebrating the cricket.
    I chirped up I thought it was England that won?

Watched highlights of the race, was first race I've watched this year I think. Great battles with Max and Leclerc and Hamilton/Bottas at the start.

What ever was Vettel doing??
    Last edited by GVK; 14-07-2019 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz711 View Post
    I enjoyed that but safety car did play a part.
    Safety car helped early on, but I don’t think it really mattered. As soon as Mercedes pitted Bottas first and put him on mediums again he was committed to stopping twice

Hamilton fitted hards and was only one stopping.

After that, with Hamiltons incredible pace it was his race. Even without the safety car.

But why didn't verstappen get an unsafe release penalty?
    Last edited by Nige; 15-07-2019 at 06:33 AM.

Safety car had an affect on the pit stop strategy but apart from a mechanical failure Merc were always going to finish 1st and 2nd.
    They dominated the race and you see that Hamilton wanted the win from the moment the lights went green.

But that's F1, many contributing factors, made no difference to Hamilton winning, or are you suggesting something else Iain?

We commented at the time about a possible unsafe release especially when you looked at the slo-mo and how close Verstappen got to the McLaren guys to ensure he nosed ahead.

Regular
    I had a pleasant day yesterday watching this & the incredible tennis final (plus well done on the cricket) & the c4 commentary said the safety car had an effect, bunching everyone up ? I’ve been careful to say that but of course it was only ever going to be between the two Mercs. Without it maybe Bottas could have got back in front but to do a one stop & then fastest lap by Hamilton is pretty much sublime.

The other comment if anything in Vettels defence is that a few corners before Max had run wide & that’s how Seb had ended up on his gearbox, you can see it if they show it. To me he looked as if he was moving slightly to the right but & I can’t make my mind up but was the tramp damp ? Difficult to tell from my position on the couch but all just an observation. As for Mark Weber sticking the knife in I just switched off & put no weight behind it. Yes it was Sebs fault but as always look what happened a few corners before & you’ll see why he thought I’ll have a go here. Done similar myself to which my response on the predictable confrontation was ‘why the f**k were you braking there’ lol.

Fab day yesterday for sport & I never even crossed the threshold.

Regular
    Feel for Vettel, looked a similar crash to the Redbulls in Baku last year. Vettel on the limit of his brakes and then as Verstappen comes across he loses downforce and ... Lots of chatter about his seat not being secure for next year!

Good time to be a Lewis Hamilton fan :D. The last two races have seen some great racing! More like this please F1.
    About.me - Twitter: @iOlly - Laps: 68

Cricket LOL.

Great race at Silverstone
    Thordur Magnusson
    Road - E39 M5 Twin SC
    Track - E30 M3 S85 - build in progress.....

This was the first British Grand Prix I've attended since 2005, where Montoya took the lead on the first lap with a great move around the outside at Copse and I got very sunburned cheering him on for a further 50-odd laps of largely processional racing.

This year I went on all three days, making the most of the weekend tickets. I was on my own on Friday/Saturday, and went with the family for race day on Sunday. I figured that Friday would be the best chance of seeing F1 cars performing up close without the crowds, and I was partially right. Friday was packed, but I still managed to watch the quick boys through Copse and Maggotts/Becketts.

Some thoughts from standing trackside on Friday and Saturday:
    • It's been said many times before, but the performance of the modern F1 cars is astonishing. Copse is easy-flat on a quali run and Maggotts appears to be very nearly flat with the drivers seemingly using only a downshift and/or a lift plus the loads on the car to slow for Becketts and Chapel. The speed on the Hangar Straight, especially when coupled with the relative lack of noise from the cars, takes your breath away, especially when you watch them pitch into Stowe seemingly without braking until the car is mid-corner.
    • The size and weight of these hybrid cars does show, though - the transition from left-to-right in Maggotts/Becketts is more of a lurch than in the old V10 featherweights; it's a tightly controlled lurch, sure, facilitated by massive downforce, clever suspension and fat rear tyres, but the cars don't dance any more.
    • You can smell the burnt aroma of the sparks from the undertray as the really fast boys go through: Merc, Red Bull, Ferrari and to my utter delight, McLaren too. The orange McL looked like a proper racing car all weekend, fast and balanced.
    • All of the cars sound rough as balls when off-throttle. It's mostly lost on the TV audio, but you can really hear when a driver has a confidence lift mid-corner or is lift-and-coasting on their way into a turn. I wonder if the engine manufacturers are running on three or even two cylinders when off-throttle as a means of saving fuel?
    • The matte red paint finish on the Ferrari is way more matte-looking and orange in person than it appears on TV. A small thing, but it's very noticeable.
    • When the cars are on a race simulation in practise, it's like someone's turned down a dimmer switch on their performance - they're like a shadow of their former selves, especially since FP2 generally starts with some quali sims before the teams all settle into race runs. It was a surprise to see the difference, as the cars all appeared to be on a shopping run with granny on board rather than a race track.

It was much colder than expected, which along with the brand-new track surface was the main factor in allowing the drivers to push one another hard for multiple laps. Certainly I was amazed at how hard everyone was able to race, and it's a shame that this is the exception rather than the norm. My wife noted that when we walked onto the track post-race, there were absolutely no marbles anywhere so the tyres were clearly performing and wearing in a completely different manner than normal.

Part of the reason I wanted to attend this year was that at the time I bought the tickets, it looked like this might be the last British GP to be held at Silverstone for a while, and given Mercedes and Hamilton's dominant form, it was fairly certain that he'd nab pole and the win, and I really wanted to be there to hear the crowd's reaction. The fans at the British GP are a tremendously tribal bunch and throughout the weekend only two F1 drivers elicited any kind of response from the crowd: Lewis Hamilton got a cheer and a round of applause every single lap, and Lando Norris got a rather smaller cheer and round of applause after his qualifying lap and at the end of the race.

Poor Valtteri Bottas. He got a rather grudging round of applause after nicking pole by .006s, and the roar from the crowd when Lewis got ahead of him for a few seconds during the early stages of the race must have been audible inside his helmet. I'm not sure how you can compete against a teammate who has virtually no weaknesses any more, has the best car and 141,000 people willing him onwards, but I have to give him maximum respect for not just giving up but immediately going on the attack and re-passing Hamilton through Copse. That's a ballsy move in race trim. Poor strategy and the SC spoiled his weekend, though Hamilton's race pace was such that I suspect he'd have won even if the SC hadn't been thrown.

The only other time the crowd reacted was any time a Red Bull overtook a Ferrari; no love for the Scuderia here. We were camped out at Vale on race day, so we had a front-row seat to the Vettel/Verstappen collision - big gasps from the crowd, and a quiet 'boo' from Red Bull fans, I guess, on the cooldown lap as Vettel pitted. I'm no Vettel fan, in racing terms at least, but I don't think he deserved booing. It was only Max, it wasn't anyone important.

I was fascinated to see the difference in merchandising from 2005 to 2019. In 2005, there were loads of independent merch sellers plus stalls for each team, but in 2019 that's all gone. Today, you buy merch from the official F1 stalls or not at all, and all stalls are the same and stock the same stuff. There were some team-specific stalls, also run by F1, but only for Mercedes (a few) and Ferrari (one). Nothing for any other teams, at least that I saw. There was a single 'F1 Legends' stall, but as far as that was concerned, there are only two legends: Senna and James Hunt.

All in all, it was a good weekend and a great race to have attended. If we go again, I might splash out and buy grandstand seats - the GA tickets are significantly cheaper but offer a significantly reduced experience on race day at least.
    Last edited by Marty; 16-07-2019 at 02:01 PM.

Regular
    Very interesting write up Marty.

Only a quick post. Marty has already addressed most things I`d have commented on and he did so in a lot of informative detail

My first visit to Silverstone to watch the F1 and it was a Hospitality package which was bloody amazing.

The breakfast / lunch / drinks were in the marquee alongside the track between Copse and Maggots. As much as you could eat / drink and it would have been very easy to get carried away.

Matt and I watched the whole race from the grandstand. The big screen in front of the stand and the Silverstone headset meant you could follow pretty much everything that was happening.

The Red Bull was the best livery for me, when it was slightly overcast it stood out far more than anything else, which was quite a surprise.

There was no love for Vettel but when LeClerc passed Max pretty much all the grandstand was cheering.

Sat Here :

Could see Beckets / Maggots and also Village / The loop and Aintree. (Although with the sun in our eyes we couldn`t see a bloody thing when he took this )

The cars were obviously a step up from the support races and the speed through Beckets was astonishing.

Sadly, I`m spoiled now. Just a `normal` ticket will seem a bit of a letdown after the way I did it this time What an experience it was.

Fantastic race. We were down at Club so we pretty much saw all the action.

Charles on Max was brilliant. The Dutch fans didn't approve of my shouting and cheering for Charles. Haha

Seb on Max was crazy, happened so fast. We got onto the track after the race. The damage to the curb that Max hit was crazy. It will need some filling!

Fantastic result for Lewis. He was going to be past Bottas, safety car or no safety car. He was on it. Setting fastest lap of the race on a set of abused hards was brilliant.

Pretty boring race today

Quote Originally Posted by Filthypig View Post
    Pretty boring race today
    Yeah, I know what you mean... hardly anything happened

Wow, what a race!!
    The weather certainly spiced things up.
    Some wrong decisions made both in the pits and on the track.

Regular
    Epic. Watched from start to finish.
    DTADroid - The Android app for DTA ECUs
    More info at www.dtadroid.com

2020 rules - all tracks to have high volume sprinklers around, which will create random weather conditions

The problem with F1 is it's too predictable

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Stace View Post
    The problem with F1 is it's too predictable

Was a little bit exciting in places
    SteveM owes me £5
    I owe Dan £5
    Steve. Pay the man!

That drag strip will be moved now as it caused all the cars to crash
    Daily - Lean FR 1.4 (150) 5F
    Project - Astra Mk3 with Saab B204 engine (sitting in the garage)
    Track - Suzuki Swift ZC32 Ex Rent 4 Ring

Late drama, Hamilton promoted to 9th and gains points!!

'Hamilton and Kubica promoted into the Hockenheim points after Alfa Romeo's Raikkonen and Giovinazzi given time penalties'
    Technical infringements with a mismatch on clutch torque demand vs input.
    In effect a version of traction control employed despite warnings to the teams.

Another great advertisement for F1. Great race. Hats off to Seb, that was pretty good. I know he was in the fastest car, but to go from 20th to 2nd in those conditions is quite impressive.

Williams get their first point too. It's sad that they are in the position they are in, but still, it was good going to be there at the end and get a point.

Great race to watch on TV I loved the bit where the whole pit crew for the Hamster were running around like headless chickens during his pitstop! 6 or 7 non finishers who managed to lose the plot due to driver error was an extra added attraction Mixed weather conditions: bring it on as a new rule
    Chris
    The older you get, the faster you used to be.....

Quote Originally Posted by orsonbuggy View Post
    Great race to watch on TV I loved the bit where the whole pit crew for the Hamster were running around like headless chickens during his pitstop! 6 or 7 non finishers who managed to lose the plot due to driver error was an extra added attraction Mixed weather conditions: bring it on as a new rule
    One guy just appeared to keep randomly running back in the garage and back to the car without anything

Can't believe the weather change from Thurs/Fri, stiflingly hot over there - 42degree in my car at the ring on Friday.

Regular
    ^^^
    Was funny as

That clip needs putting to the Benny Hill music if it’s not been done already.

A 125yr party Merc will be keen to never mention again!
    SteveM owes me £5
    I owe Dan £5
    Steve. Pay the man!

Hungarian GP

Good race, great result! Mercedes absolutely stuffed Red Bull on strategy, not to mention a great drive by Lewis
    TT Roadster

What a proper race that was differing strategies and Merc being brave enough to try something different. Lewis questioning it after the stop, the The team just saying push as hard as you can.

Lewis driving 20 absolutely flat out laps to catch and pass. Brilliant stuff

Bottas probably aggrieved at leclerc for hitting his front wing.

Brilliant strategy by Mercedes!
    Great drive by Lewis.

Max V seems to be maturing.

Enjoyed that

Quote Originally Posted by Ian H View Post
    Great drive by Lewis.
    Agreed,but a BIG mistake by RB not to cover Lewis' last stop.

Yes. He/his team recognised it wasn't worth losing 2nd place in order to stop Lewis winning.

Enjoyed that
    Me too. Just watching highlights on Ch4 now and it made me think that the difference between the previous boring processions and today was two-fold: (i) team strategy and (ii) two "racers" with the right attitude.

We've had some good races recently - for varying reasons too. Long may it continue!
    TT Roadster

Just saw Horner's interview. Sorry, but it wasn't the case if not pitting before Hamilton but doing so immediately after. RB have a very good record on quick stops. It could have worked. Staying out was less likely - especially had there been a SC.
    TT Roadster

Regular
    Great drive by Lewis.

Enjoyed that
    All this . Great to see teams racing each other on track & with different strategy’s. Recon Mercedes are breathing a sigh of relief after last weeks cock up.
    SteveM owes me £5
    I owe Dan £5
    Steve. Pay the man!

Quote Originally Posted by Screacher View Post
    Just saw Horner's interview. Sorry, but it wasn't the case if not pitting before Hamilton but doing so immediately after. RB have a very good record on quick stops. It could have worked. Staying out was less likely - especially had there been a SC.
    Lewis`s outlap was too fast. They would have lost track position if they stopped Max thenext lap, regardless of how fast the stop was.

I assume it was a case of definitely lose track position by stopping, or stay out and hope Lewis couldn`t catch and pass.

Interesting point by Brundle. If Lewis had got past on the first attempt, would it have cost him the race giving Redbull the opportunity to do what Mercedes did.

I’ve watched highlights of last couple and in spite of not expecting to, I’ve really enjoyed it.

+ Reply to Thread