+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: HELP. Failing flexi`s on Turbo downpipe.

Is now the time to buy extra V bands and have a spare flexi made up, identical to the one on the car?

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Is now the time to buy extra V bands and have a spare flexi made up, identical to the one on the car?
    That's exactly what I'm going to do. Leave the spare in the toolbox ready to fit if necessary

And hopefully having it means you'll never need it!

Good work, those welds are night and day Vs the ones on the old bit.
    Ermmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    That's exactly what I'm going to do. Leave the spare in the toolbox ready to fit if necessary
    Neil will have to update his footer, again.

That looks really professional Nige, to someone that canít weld, that new part looks like a bought, rather than shed-made part.

Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    Brace has rosejoints

Cut down high frequency vibrations by over half

Made the brace yesterday.

Started off by reinforcing the downpipe where the brace will be attached by welding a plate to the inside of the bend and then the tab to that. Less chance of it tearing off the downpipe that way

The brace is over-engineered. If I`ve learned one thing over the years is that if something can fail, it will. The weakpoints on something like this are the foot or the mount to the downpipe. I`ve made the foot from a bit of 5mm angle, welded to some box then a small piece of 4mm box and plate for the attachment point.

Final tacking was done in-situ to ensure there were no stresses introduced by the brace. Kinda misses the point if the brace itself is trying to bend the downpipe

All painted up and bolted in place.

Just have to fit the bung for the wideband sensor today and finish welding the V-band clamp to the flexi and it`s finished.

Looks good, Nige
    "Fortunately, I'd taken a spare Gearbox, Turbo, Actuator, Banjo Connector, Steering Rack, Driveshafts, ECU, Wideband sensor, 57-51mm silicone reducing elbow and a Copper Banjo Washer." - Nige

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Mac View Post
    Looks good, Nige
    So long as it works, I`ll be happy

The problem with this is I won`t know until the end of the year if it`s improved the life of the flexi or not.

I suppose if it fails by June, I`ll know it`s worse

+ Reply to Thread