+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mon 20th May "DN21"

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Yup just passed it too - Ring Freaks 3series - I suspect they are now considering the impact of the Ä10k excess......
    Ouch
    BMW 3.0 Z4 Roadster. Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI T2. Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
    That's the luck of the draw. Rain on the second day, in the afternoon last time I was there. The morning was dogged with stoppages and twattages, like a lot of the first day. I'm just not comfortable with pushing hard in the rain, especially if it's just damp!
    You have 4WD, MTFU
    Ermmmmm

Not sure how but a PH buddy has already sent me a pic from this morning

Despite there being only one very brief track closure, there were a number of incidents

This is one of the weirdest - a driveshaft from a Megane, fortunately not on the racing line

Quote Originally Posted by UKKid35 View Post

It`s on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
    That's the luck of the draw. Rain on the second day, in the afternoon last time I was there. The morning was dogged with stoppages and twattages, like a lot of the first day. I'm just not comfortable with pushing hard in the rain, especially if it's just damp!
    Quote Originally Posted by Weeman View Post
    You have 4WD, MTFU
    This.

It`s on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/Destination...56345844086824

Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    This.
    Nige agreeing with Weeman!!! We'll overturn Brexit next

To be fair, Floyd, you do have 4WD and a rotary silencer, you just need slicks and aero and you'd have the full cheater's package.

Never done the 'ring in the wet, it's something I'd desperately love to do (cue Nige posting the Rockingham video).... to be honest, being in a position to do any track day at the moment would be a feature.
    Diamond Hell
    Holiday cottages: coastandcountry.eu
    Woodland camping with Forest Schools: campwight.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Hell View Post
    Never done the 'ring in the wet, it's something I'd desperately love to do (cue Nige posting the Rockingham video).... to be honest, being in a position to do any track day at the moment would be a feature.
    Not at all. You were out and driving, learning the levels of grip not sitting in the garage complaining it was raining.

The ring in the wet is just that. A wet circuit. Take your time, drive within your ability and experiment with `unusual`lines to find what works and what doesn`t.

I`d always prefer a dry day but I take the necessary tyres to ensure the rain doesn`t stop me lapping

The ring in the wet is just that. A wet circuit. Take your time, drive within your ability and experiment with `unusual`lines to find what works and what doesn`t.
    If I tried that I think the speed differential would make me a danger to other drivers

Everyone else is going slow too

I know you don't like the wet at all Paul, we've discussed this before . My view is, if you never drive in the wet, you'll never get used to it.

Regular
    Sort of on topic....I did a bike track day at Cadwell 15 years ago. It rained all morning. So bad for the first two hours that the track was closed. Half the guys went home. Opened the track at about 11 but it drizzled all day. By lunch 75% had gone home. The few that remained and rode had a great time and personally, I learnt way more on that wet day than several dry days put together. Stuff I still use in wet weather road riding now.
    If a man speaks his mind in a forest and no woman hears him...is he still wrong ?

I love a wet day, they remind me of happy times of driving slow paced cars with very little mechanical grip.
    Takes a lot of skill to look this bad you know...

Everyone else is going slow too

I know you don't like the wet at all Paul, we've discussed this before . My view is, if you never drive in the wet, you'll never get used to it.
    This is true. I had great fun at Blyton when it bucketed it down.

I won't actively do a wet one now, more for the misery of the actual drive there
    Ermmmmm

I like a wet course. When its a forgiving course in an MX5. The 'ring in a 3RS with a 27k excess on insurance, no thanks.

Neil and I had a hoot at spa in the pissing rain (always at spa). Playing games like "fastest lap without incurring traction control" or "most silliest drift" etc :D

I know it's not for everyone.

I managed a ten lap stint - it was very exciting but completely safe once I'd figured out the line. Had to stop - needed a wee.

The opportunity to drive the place in the wet hasn't really presented itself that often in the 15yrs or so I've been visiting, much less in nine years of DN's - so when it does I make the most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by titan View Post
    I like a wet course. When its a forgiving course in an MX5. The 'ring in a 3RS with a 27k excess on insurance, no thanks.

Neil and I had a hoot at spa in the pissing rain (always at spa). Playing games like "fastest lap without incurring traction control" or "most silliest drift" etc :D
    Yup, I completely get that! With Cup's on too!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Langeveld View Post
    I know it's not for everyone.

I managed a ten lap stint - it was very exciting but completely safe once I'd figured out the line. Had to stop - needed a wee.
    If you think that's exciting, try wet laps on a bike. Only other times your sphincter get a work out like that is food poisoning or prison.
    -----------------------
    Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
    - Robert Heinlein

Regular
    Managed 8 wet laps but had to share the car with Tony and Harry so that was split in two goes :D (not a complaint, grateful to them for the opportunity to go and share in Harry's first 'Ring trip!). Liked to do a bigger stint but would have felt even more of a git. Felt enough of a git on the 4th time round but it was just too much fun and nothing was out. As a bonus, they weren't back from lunch so I got away with it. Totally agreed, enjoyed experimenting in the wet and learnt a lot! We definitely had the best worst car for it.

Ringmiestiers out of my budget, working hard to see how I can make DN22 work.
    Last edited by Brando; 22-05-2019 at 08:27 PM.
    About.me - Twitter: @iOlly - Laps: 68

Any track is a piece of piss with wet tyres. I've done the Ring on wets and I feel confident. I've done the ring on semi slicks and I'm not confident. The car just does 4 wheel drifts, doesn't stop and generally behaves like it's on ice. The 4wd doesn't help me but I'm probably just rubbish at driving. I'm put off by how many cars I've seen in the armco in the wet at relatively low speeds.

Normal quality road tyres work well on wet tracks IMHO.
    The 996 is on Pilot Sports, and I know racers whos 1a/1b wet wet race tyre of choice is the humble Uniroyal Rainsport 3.

It's whatever you feel most confident with I guess.

One thing's for sure - if you never drive in the rain, you'll never drive in the rain.

For me, ring in the wet is either boring as feck or stressful as feck. Thereís nothing in between... the VLN drivers that arenít yet on wets must absolutely hate having to push on while being on totally wrong tyres. Every time you cross the rubber is an arse clenching moment as you pray it grips again, being as smooth as possible....

Urgh. Stressed just thinking about it.

An MX5 in the wet at Spa, however.... a minute. Wetter then better

Despite there being only one very brief track closure, there were a number of incidents

This is one of the weirdest - a driveshaft from a Megane, fortunately not on the racing line

That megane is a strange one. Hit a kerb at Wehrseifen and broke the drive shaft. It also broke a engine mount in half and then with that the air con pump rubbed against the chassis and broke the other shaft............. Then engine went.
    Daily - Lean FR 1.4 (150) 5F
    Project - Astra Mk3 with Saab B204 engine (sitting in the garage)
    Track - Suzuki Swift ZC32 Ex Rent 4 Ring

Finally after years of wanting to participate in a DN event I’ve been able to do one. I’d be telling fibs if I wasn’t gutted about the thought of rain and when it started to pour down my heart sank.

I did 3 sighting laps and on the 3rd the track went live half way round so I got to give it some and test out some lines but after about 3 more laps I came in the ask nicely for a bit of tuition to fine tune my lines. They had no space but I managed to get them to do just 1 lap for me. I was expecting him to get in the car but you follow them which i found strange as you have a walkie talkie on you. I couldn't hear a thing, only the odd thing so I just did my best to follow his lines. Part way round the lap it started to hammer down so i was following a wet line. Helped alot as I had done a few wet passenger laps the month before with a friend.

I came in to say thanks and give the walkie back and decided to just head back out. I wasn’t going to let it defeat me as I’d spent a fortune on getting the car ready and doing the event, within 1 lap the sad thoughts where gone I was having a absolute blast and learning a hell of a lot about the car and Nurburgring in the wet. In the UK I have done a few wet days and knew the car stuck like crap to a blanket but I was just scared of the Nurburgring. Apart from my friend Dale over taking me in his e90 m3 I only had to worry about a ring taxi on wets nothing else came near. Over took a lot of cars and even got congratulated by someone who couldn’t keep up Olly was flying when I went to follow him but I just let him go!

I enjoyed it so much I did more laps in TF in the bad weather and no one was on track apart from the odd taxi and a Citroen AX!! I think over the few days DN and TF I did about 35 laps in the end I lost track as I didnt really stop in TF as it was empty

In the wet it has so much grip apart from about 4 places which I had to be cautious of but otherwise its brilliant. Rain wont ever put me off again.

Car wise - perfect no issues and cant wait to go back in July now

Regular
    Sooo glad you got that last pic! Sorry again for not waiting, I've got the bug bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post
    Sooo glad you got that last pic! Sorry again for not waiting, I've got the bug bad.
    So am i, Wanted a shot like this for years Dont apologise I was struggling lol

The Black megane that went off also -

Last edited by Nige; 25-05-2019 at 05:36 PM.

Regular
    They and that pink Golf werenít best pleased at letting a Swift through :-(

They and that pink Golf werenít best pleased at letting a Swift through :-(
    A fair few people didnt like letting swifts past but it was comical passing them

Regular
    Thatís not a dis on driving standards of the day. I thought the whole day was seriously impressive. Reflected in the lack of incidents and total time the track was open.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev_G View Post
    The Black megane that went off also -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5viNjwxu1Ko
    Save me 25 minutes, where is it he goes off?

Also WTF was that stop at Flugplatz?!
    Diamond Hell
    Holiday cottages: coastandcountry.eu
    Woodland camping with Forest Schools: campwight.co.uk

Rewind a bit from the stop at FP, he loses the back in Hatzenbach and bumps into the armco. About 11mins ish

Thatís not a dis on driving standards of the day. I thought the whole day was seriously impressive. Reflected in the lack of incidents and total time the track was open.
    totally agree

The timestamp on the Megane video is misleading

It must have been sometime in the afternoon rather than 10am

Thats a guy i know, Ian. Definitely a character but really nice guy and does a LOT of TD's.

Had a MK2 Megane before that blew up multiple times before giving up on it and getting the 265
    RS250 Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by -Jamie- View Post
    Thats a guy i know, Ian. Definitely a character but really nice guy and does a LOT of TD's.

Had a MK2 Megane before that blew up multiple times before giving up on it and getting the 265
    Yeah seemed a really nice guy, He was gutted when I said it was shut for the day as he was changing his pads as didn't realise the time.

+ Reply to Thread