+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WRC 2019 Photos and discussion

WRC 2019 Photos and discussion

In just a few weeks time, the 2019 World Rally Championship will begin. The 14-round calendar will feature a brand new event in Chile.

Factory WRC drivers will be able to select their own permanent competition numbers for the new season.

2019 WRC calendar

Monte Carlo Rally January 24-27
    Rally Sweden February 14-17
    Rally Mexico March 7-10
    Tour de Corse March 28-31
    Rally Argentina April 25-28
    Rally Chile May 9-12
    Rally Portugal May 30-June 2
    Rally Italy June 13-16
    Rally Finland August 1-4
    Rally Germany August 22-25
    Rally Turkey September 12-15
    Rally GB October 3-6
    Rally Spain October 24-27
    Rally Australia November 14-17

The big news of the last few days is that 9 times world rally champion Sébastien Loeb has signed a 2 year contract with Hyundai to compete in the WRC.

Just last week, Hyundai named their starting line up for the 2019 Monte Carlo Rally as Neuville, Mikkelsen and Sordo. They have since announced that Loeb will be replacing Sordo in its Monte line up. Loeb is also looking likely to start round 2 in Sweden. Hyundai and Loeb are talking of a limited campaign for 2019, but I would guess if Loeb gets a strong start from the first two rounds, he will fancy a crack at title number 10.

Loeb has quite a schedule ahead of him, he is doing the Dakar from Jan 6th - 17th, then he will roll off the start ramp in Monaco on Jan 24th for the Monte Carlo Rally.

After driving exclusively for Citroen for the last 18 years, Loeb will finally attempt to win in a non French car!

M-Sport have revealed their 2019 livery, similar to their 2016 colour scheme, following 2 years with Red Bull.

The track outline of M-Sport's new Evaluation Centre is included into the new paint scheme. Elfyn Evans will be co driven this year by Scott Martin, Dan Barritt has gone back to Toyota to partner Japan's promising talent Takamoto Katsuta.

Just a few days to go before the start of the 2019 season. Loeb has just flown back from South America after finishing 3rd overall on the Dakar.

He will complete 2 days testing in the Hyundai, this will be his first time in the new car.

20 years ago today, one of Sweden's top rally stars was killed during the Monte Carlo Rally. But he wasn't at the wheel of a car, he was simply an unlucky spectator.

Lars-Erik Torph had been a member of the Swedish Junior Rally Team, here is a team photo from 1983, if you are a rally nut like me, you may recognise some of the drivers in this photo, Lars-Erik is kneeled down on the right, wearing the red jumper.

Finishing 2nd overall on the '86 Safari

The bizarre accident that took Torph's life happened when the Lancia of Alex Fiorio left the road, Torph had been taking time out from ice note duties to watch the rally.

Is this being televised anywhere this year? I can't see anything in the listings.
    If the whole world was filled with just animals and David Attenborough, it would be a beautiful place. Unfortunately, it's been overrun by 7.7-billion assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Is this being televised anywhere this year? I can't see anything in the listings.
    If you've got an Amazon Firestick, you can watch on your tv by searching Red Bull TV. Otherwise I think it's gone to BT Sport. I can't see any regular free to air coverage.

Hadn't realised it was on redbull TV. I've subscribed to the all live footage on their page. It's pretty good to be fair
    Dunlop Direzzas. Officially better than aero.

Round 1 - Monte Carlo

A media scrum had gathered to see Sébastien Loeb, as the 9 time world champion was seen in non-PSA attire for the fist time since anybody could remember.

Citroën's new signing, Sébastien Ogier was visited by his bosses! Linda Jackson (Citroën CEO) and Carlos Tavares (CEO and Chairman of the Managing Board of PSA). No doubt both asking "Why are we paying this guy so much money!"

Toyota ended 2018 as the fastest car, would that still be the case in 2019?

Ogier had been followed to Citroën by Red Bull

The only woman ever to win a WRC round, Michèle Mouton is now working with the FIA

Tanak was fastest through stage 1, and led the rally at the end of the first leg

But he was soon under pressure from the two drivers who had beaten him to the title in 2018...

Thierry Neuville

& Sébastien Ogier

A new for 2019 class is WRC2 Pro, open to manufacturer entries competing in cars built to R5 specifications.

The two drivers who were battling hardest in this new class were Gus Greensmith in the M-Sport car

and Kalle Rovanperä in the factory Škoda

Loeb had done very little testing in the Hyundai, his comments during the rally were that the car moves around under him more than last year's Citroën. I'm sure he'll be working hard to set it up to his liking.

It was a bad start for M-Sport in the main WRC category, Teemu Suninen went off on the first stage

M-Sport new boy Pontus Tidemand had a mechanical problem and dropped 7 minutes. Elfyn Evans went off on black ice and retired.

1981 Monte Carlo winner Jean Ragnotti with Ogier

Tyres are always a big part of Monte Carlo strategy, Thierry Neuville making a last minute check

The ice note crews provide valuable information to the drivers, Neuville's fellow countryman and former factory driver Bruno Thiry was on hand to help out

Latvala

Meeke was on the pace in his first drive for Toyota, but an early puncture ruined his chances

Fastest on more stages than any other driver was Tanak

Loeb

Gus Greensmith won WRC2 Pro and finished a brilliant 7th overall, he is due to get his hands on a full WRC car this year at some point

Yoann Bonato was second WRC2 home

The overall battle for victory went down to the last stage, Ogier held a tiny 0.4 second lead over Neuville.

Ogier does have a habit of coming out on top in these situations, this was to be no exception!

Six Monte wins in a row, and seven in total!! No doubt his bosses now understand why he is so special.

Regular
    Great words and pics.
    If a man speaks his mind in a forest and no woman hears him...is he still wrong ?

Thank you Alan
    "Fortunately, I'd taken a spare Gearbox, Turbo, Actuator, Banjo Connector, Steering Rack, Driveshafts, ECU, Wideband sensor, 57-51mm silicone reducing elbow and a Copper Banjo Washer." - Nige

Fab report, many thanks for putting it up.
    It's literally a Diamond shaped Hell at times
    Woodland camping with Forest Schools on the Isle of Wight: campwight.co.uk

Speedy summary:

"Fortunately, I'd taken a spare Gearbox, Turbo, Actuator, Banjo Connector, Steering Rack, Driveshafts, ECU, Wideband sensor, 57-51mm silicone reducing elbow and a Copper Banjo Washer." - Nige

Thanks for the report, what an excellent roundup!

I haven't really folowed the buildup, so quick question if I may? Is the Citroen car much improved, or has Ogier made all the difference? It looked hard work at times last year.

Also, great to see Meeke showing pace and getting to the finish!

Quote Originally Posted by jon_r View Post
    Thanks for the report, what an excellent roundup!

I haven't really folowed the buildup, so quick question if I may? Is the Citroen car much improved, or has Ogier made all the difference? It looked hard work at times last year.

Also, great to see Meeke showing pace and getting to the finish!
    It remains to be seen if the Citroen is an all round performer, will it work in Sweden? We will see. Loeb did win for Citroen in Spain last year, so it can't have been too bad. It was a bit of a pig early on last year though, hence Meeke's fallout and exit from the team. Drivers like Ogier do make a difference.

Valtteri Bottas was competing on his first ever rally last weekend, when he tackled the Arctic Rally in Lapland in an M-Sport Fiesta WRC. He finished an impressive 5th overall and managed a fastest stage time.

Not sure what the temperature was, but I don't think it's ever less than double digit minus temps in that part of the world!

I've subscribed to the all live footage and it didn't disappoint.

Tanak is my favourite of the current breed
    Dunlop Direzzas. Officially better than aero.

Testing has begun immediately for Rally Sweden, Meeke and the Toyota team are doing their prep in Finland:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtWLdhDB...=1sfny1xipetla

Regular
    Brilliant write up Alan, thanks for taking the time to post it up
    SteveM owes me £5
    I owe Dan £5
    Steve. Pay the man!

Nice report as usual, Alan. I'd been avoiding this thread for a few days until I'd had a chance to watch the Red Bull highlights shows. It's looking like it should be another good season.
    If the whole world was filled with just animals and David Attenborough, it would be a beautiful place. Unfortunately, it's been overrun by 7.7-billion assholes.

This weekend's Swedish Rally marks a historic moment for Toyota driver Jari-Matti Latvala, he makes his 197th WRC start, more than any other driver, still only 33 years old, he has the potential to add to that tally considerably. Sweden is a special place for Latvala, in 2008 he won the rally to become the youngest ever WRC winner at 22 years old, a record he still holds.

I think he needs another award for that photo: Most awkward stance whilst receiving an award.
    Back in clutter

Quote Originally Posted by pye21 View Post
    I think he needs another award for that photo: Most awkward stance whilst receiving an award.
    Maybe the award is made out of ice, and he's concerned it's going to melt!

Tonight, an old stager will make a one off return to the WRC. Marcus Grönholm is joining the likes of fellow Finns Vatanen, Salonen and Alen, in starting a WRC event in his 50s for fun. The other three Finns chose Rally Finland as their 'Senior' event, they finished 11th, 14th and 16th respectively. Grönholm is hoping for a top 10 finish, Sweden was always a good event for him. He will start at the wheel of a WRC Toyota, supplied by his friend Tommi Mäkinen.

He took to the ice prior to the rally weekend

WRC Round 2 - Sweden

Neuville was fastest on the first super special stage at Karlstad

The old boys, Loeb and Grönholm, with a combined age of 95. Loeb predicted that Grönholm would find it difficult to get back into a modern WRC car

Grönholm actually beat Loeb at the Karlstad super special, finishing a very impressive 8th fastest, but it all went a bit wrong as soon as he got into the real stages!

Teemu Suninen took the lead early on, good to see M-Sport may have a competitive car this year

Suninen took a very small lead into the second day, but perhaps the pressure got to him

He got going again, and the team repaired the car, but any chance of a first WRC win was gone

I am told by man on the ground in Sweden, that it was closer to a water rally in places than a snow rally

Mads Ostberg was representing Citroën in the WRC2 Pro class

Kalle Rovanperä was flying high, but an early trip into a snowbank cost him his chance of winning WRC2

It was Norway's Ole Christian Veiby who would take WRC2 honours

Another driver who got stuck on a snowbank was Monte winner Ogier

Meeke won the Colin's Crest award for the longest jump

Evans set three fastest stage times on his way to fifth place

Latvala retired after leaving the road

Lappi

Tiedmand had car trouble for the second rally in a row

Aero!

So, that's how they avoid dancing on ice!

Another solid finish for Meeke

At the finish, it was Ott Tänak who proved he and Toyota are the fastest package currently out there, a fine performance

Final positions

1 Ott Tanak Toyota 2h47m30.0s
    2 Esapekka Lappi Citroen 53.7s
    3 Thierry Neuville Hyundai 56.7s
    4 Andreas Mikkelsen Hyundai 1m05.4s
    5 Elfyn Evans M-Sport Ford 1m08.2s
    6 Kris Meeke Toyota 1m38.8s
    7 Sebastien Loeb Hyundai 1m49.7s
    8 Pontus Tidemand M-Sport Ford 3m37.7s
    9 Ole-Christian Veiby Volkswagen WRC2 6m34.0s
    10 Janne Tuohino Ford 8m21.4s
    Last edited by autohabit; 19-02-2019 at 07:36 PM.

Round 3 - Mexico

Meeke briefly held the lead but a puncture and suspension damage spoiled his rally

The now obligatory Citroen Cactus photo!

Evans and M-Sport were having a good rally

Ogier, making it look easy, it wasn't.

Final results:

Championship stnadings

Regular
    Rally Sweden v Rally Mexico.....properly chalk and cheese.

Thanks as always Alan.
    If a man speaks his mind in a forest and no woman hears him...is he still wrong ?

WRC Round 4 - Tour de Corse

The recce at the end of March gave the drivers something they are not used to seeing on the Mediterranean island of Corsica!

Thankfully the snow melted away to reveal some truly great rallying roads

A reminder that these roads have taken some great drivers from us in years gone by

Bastia service park

Meeke

Evans

Last edited by autohabit; 08-04-2019 at 08:08 PM.

Ogier

Neuville was back on form

Despite this photo, it wasn't all clear water for Tanak

He lost 2 minutes with a puncture when fighting for the lead

Suninen was under strict instructions to finish

Teammate Evans was the surprise pace setter, taking the lead

Loeb making adjustments, he has yet to get to grips with the Hyundai

Rovanperä was running away with WRC2, until an accident on stage 9

Winner of WRC2 was Fabio Andolfi

Evans went into the final stage with an 11 second lead, what could possibly go wrong

Cruelly, a puncture took away what would have been a great win for M-Sport

Ogier thought he was going to finish a distant third, but jumped up to second, bonus for his title hopes

Taking his first win of 2019, Neuville

10th career win in the WRC and taking the championship lead

Results:

1. Thierry Neuville BEL Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC 3hr 22m 59.0s
    2. Sebastien Ogier FRA Citroen C3 WRC +40.3s
    3. Elfyn Evans GBR M-Sport Ford Fiesta WRC +1m 06.6s
    4. Dani Sordo ESP Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC +1m 18.4s
    5. Teemu Suninen FIN M-Sport Ford Fiesta WRC +1m 24.6s
    6. Ott Tanak EST Toyota Yaris Gazoo Racing +1m 40.0s
    7. Esapekka Lappi FIN Citroen C3 WRC +2m 09.1s
    8. Sebastien Loeb FRA Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC +3m 39.2s
    9. Kris Meeke GBR Toyota Yaris Gazoo Racing +5m 06.3s
    10. Jari-Matti Latvala FIN Toyota Yaris Gazoo Racing +6m 44.6s
    11. Fabio Andolfi ITA Skoda Fabia R5 +11m 09.6s

Driver standings:

1 Thierry Neuville 82
    2 Sebastien Ogier 80
    3 Ott Tanak 77
    4 Elfyn Evans 43
    5 Kris Meeke 42
    6 Esapekka Lappi 26
    7 Sebastien Loeb 22
    8 Dani Sordo 16
    9 Jari-Matti Latvala 15
    10 Teemu Suninen 14
    Last edited by autohabit; 11-04-2019 at 05:25 PM.

Good write-up Alan

Imagery for WRC is mega, back drops are amazing.

Real shame for Evans
    Back in clutter

Yesterday the movie was released about Ott Tänak, You can imagine that in country of 1,4 M people he receives lots of attention, especially considering that rally and circuit racing has always been very popular here.

Below are trailers, not sure how is possible to see full film in internet ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UPhX57OgR4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z5mwq1NwDY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LLbOU4lkl4

A quick WRC catch up.

Round 5

Latvala started his 200th WRC event, the first driver in history to hit a double century of starts

Up in the clouds

Ogier thought he was in Finland!

Final results:

1.Thierry Neuville BEL Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC 3hr 20m 54.6s
    2.Andreas Mikkelsen NOR Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC +48.4s
    3.Sebastien Ogier FRA Citroen C3 WRC +1m 04.8s
    4.Kris Meeke GBR Toyota Yaris Gazoo Racing +1m 06.2s
    5.Dani Sordo ESP Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC +1m 21.1s
    6.Jari-Matti Latvala FIN Toyota Yaris Gazoo Racing +1m 27s
    7.Teemu Suninen FIN M-Sport Ford Fiesta WRC +4m 53s
    8.Ott Tanak EST Toyota Yaris Gazoo Racing +14m 24.8s
    9.Mads Ostberg NOR Citroen C3 R5 +14m 28.5s
    10.Pedro Heller CHI Ford Fiesta R5 +20m 14.5s

Round 6. A brand new event to the WRC

1919 meets 2019 - 100 years of Citroën vs. year 1 of Rally Chile WRC

Meeke entertaining the crowrds

A slow roll hampered his progress, Meeke really needs a clean run

Meeke's roll was a minor issue compared to the accident of Neuville, check this out, the crew were taken to hospital, but thankfully they were ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUFX3dLDcv0

Loeb got his first podium for Hyundai

Winner in WRC2 was Kalle Rovanpera

Tanak had clean run to victory

Podium celebrations with Tommi the boss!

Final results:

1.Ott Tanak EST Toyota Yaris Gazoo Racing 3hr 15m 53.8s
    2.Sebastien Ogier FRA Citroen C3 WRC +23.1s
    3.Sebastien Loeb FRA Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC +30.2s
    4.Elfyn Evans GBR M-Sport Ford Fiesta WRC +1m 36.7s
    5.Teemu Suninen FIN M-Sport Ford Fiesta WRC +3m 16s
    6.Esapekka Lappi FIN Citroen C3 WRC +3m 45.4s
    7.Andreas Mikkelsen NOR Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC +4m 39.0s
    8.Kalle Rovanpera FIN Skoda Fabia R5 +7m 52.5s
    9.Mads Ostberg NOR Citroen C3 R5 +8m 16.1s
    10.Kris Meeke GBR Toyota Yaris Gazoo Racing +8m 33.4s
    11.Jari-Matti Latvala FIN Toyota Yaris Gazoo Racing +10m 59.2s
    12.Gus Greensmith GBR Ford Fiesta R5 +11m 41.5s

WRC Portugal

The crowds used to be like this when cars ran at full speed in Portugal, but nowadays it's confined to low speed encounters

Gus Greensmith was having his first outing in a WRC car, his pace was impressive

Skoda were debuting their new R5 car, Kopecky made his first appearance of 2019, although he was a little hindered

Rovanpera took an brilliant 6th overall in the sister car, can't be long before he finds himself in a WRC car

VW's R5 car was also on the pace

Final results:

1.Ott Tanak EST Toyota Yaris Gazoo Racing 3hr 20m 22.8s
    2.Thierry Neuville BEL Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC +15.9s
    3.Sebastien Ogier FRA Citroen C3 WRC +57.1s
    4.Teemu Suninen FIN M-Sport Ford Fiesta WRC +2m 41.5s
    5.Elfyn Evans GBR M-Sport Ford Fiesta WRC +7m 08.3s
    6.Kalle Rovanpera FIN Skoda Fabia R5 +10m 34.8s
    7.Jari-Matti Latvala FIN Toyota Yaris Gazoo Racing +10m 52.5
    8.Jan Kopecky CZE Skoda Fabia R5 +11m 41.9s
    9.Pierre-Louis Loubet FIN Ford Fiesta R5 +12m 46.3s
    10.Emil Bergkvist SWE Ford Fiesta R5 +14m 28.4s
    11.Henning Solberg NOR Skoda Fabia R5 +14m 54.5s
    Last edited by autohabit; 05-07-2019 at 05:58 PM.

Regular
    Update.

Polo R5’s were literally on fire but a solution found now seemingly.
    https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/1...-of-polo-fires

Kale Rovanpera is in at Toyota.

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/1...oyota-wrc-seat

If you want some amusement ex Hyundai Wrc driver Paddon (who has been patiently waiting on any sort of recall) tweeted ‘is it April fools’ to the news ex Citroen driver Craig Breen has been given a Hyundai drive for Finland.

Paddon does a lot with Hyundai Nz as an ambassador but after the Hyundai Wrc snub for Finland he’s signed up for it himself now with a M-Sport Ford , sponsored by and with the blessing of Hyundai Nz !
    https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/1...-rally-finland

Where’s my beer ? �� Fantastic.
    Last edited by Fitz711; 06-07-2019 at 09:29 AM.

^^ Thanks for the updates Fitz.

My friend Dan has been a bit low profile this season, after sitting with Elfyn for a few seasons, a time which included his Rally GB win. He has been working for Toyota this season, co driving for their Japanese protégé Takamoto Katsuta, the pair have been driving a Fiesta R5 on various WRC events this year, but Toyota put them out on 2 rounds of the Finnish Rally Championship recently, which they won both of.

Tommi the boss is now letting them run a WRC Toyota on some WRC events this season, starting with Germany.

Rally Italia Sardegna

Cars made a slow tour through the streets of Alghero

And, action!!

Another WRC2 win for Rovanpera, there's no stopping this guy

Hyundai had a special guest in the service area, it is 25 years since Gabriele Tarquini won the British Touring Car Championship, but he is still on top of his game, he is the current World Touring Car Champion for Hyundai

Green energy!

A bit dusty

Drama at the end of the event, Tanak's steering appeared to jam almost solid, giving Spain's Dani Sordo only his second WRC win, and his first since Germany 2013

Celebration time at Hyundai

Final results:

1 Dani Sordo Hyundai 3:32:27.2
    2 Teemu Suninen M-Sport Ford +13.7
    3 Andreas Mikkelsen Hyundai +32.6
    4 Elfyn Evans M-Sport Ford +40.5
    5 Ott Tanak Toyota +1:30.1
    6 Thierry Neuville Hyundai +2:16.7
    7 Esapekka Lappi Citroen +2:59.6
    8 Kris Meeke Toyota +4:40.1
    9 Kalle Rovanpera Skoda Motorsport +8:24.6
    10 Jan Kopecky +8:49.2

Driver Championship:

1. Ott TÄNAK 150
    2. Sébastien OGIER 146
    3. Thierry NEUVILLE 143
    4. Elfyn EVANS 78
    5. Teemu SUNINEN 62
    6. Kris MEEKE 60
    7. Andreas MIKKELSEN 56
    8. Dani SORDO 52
    9. Esapekka LAPPI 40
    10. Jari-Matti LATVALA 40

Manufacturers Championship:

1. Hyundai 242
    2. Toyota 198
    3. Citroen 170
    4. M-Soprt Ford 152

Some sad news from the rally world today, the death of Jen-Luc Therier has been reported.

Although he may not be as well known as some of his fellow French compatriots, such as Ragnotti or Mouton, he actually took 5 WRC wins, more than either of the aforementioned drivers.

He was the last (and one of only two drivers ever) to win a WRC event in a Porsche 911

RIP JLT

WRC win number 1 was on the 1973 Rally of Portugal

1973 Tour de Corse

Porsche's last WRC victory - 1980 Tour de Corse

His final WRC appearance came on the 1984 Monte Carlo, when he finished 4th overall, behind a trio of Audis driven by Röhrl, Blomqvist and Mikkola

Hayden Paddon's WRC return was over before it started, after a huge accident in testing for Rally Finland, the car was beyond repair to a timescale. He hit a rock in the road and it was game over, bad luck.

Poor sods, at least they're okay though.
    FRP & A2

Rally Finland

Starting a WRC event for the first time this year was Craig Breen with new co driver Paul Nagle (Nagle has previously sat with Kris Meeke)

Ogier!

Hot favourite, and last year's winner, Ott Tanak.

Lappi was hoping for a decent result, it has not been a good season for him so far

Meeke was flying! He was lying second after the first leg, with a 1-2-3 for Toyota, Tanak in front.

Kalle Rovanperä was in charge in the WRC2 class, he is really maturing as a driver. He is to rallying, what Verstappen is to F1

Greensmith was having another run in a WRC car

"Could you sign my hat young man!" 4 times world rally champion Juha Kankkunen with Kalle Rovanperä

Fly Finnair!!

Latvala was in trouble with Tommi the boss, for not listening to team instructions, he went off, but luckily got going again to finish 3rd overall

Things were much worse for Meeke, same complaint from the boss, but Meeke retired, his chances of a drive for 2020 are not looking good

Ott Tänak was again the man in charge, taking a healthy lead in the championship

Final results:

Championship standings after Rally Finland

Last edited by autohabit; 06-08-2019 at 08:23 PM.

Some of those photos are insane...

And the air on those jumps

Gus Greensmith took Elfyn Evans drive on Rally Finland, due to a back injury Evans sustained during Rally Estonia after a heavy landing. Greensmith will again take over from Evans on the upcoming Rally Germany while Evans continues to recover.

It has become apparent why Thierry Neuville was seen with Gabriele Tarquini recently, Neuville made his racing debut at the Nürburgring over the weekend, scoring a pole and a win in his first ever race!

Learning from the master!

Last edited by autohabit; 19-08-2019 at 06:31 PM.

M-Sport has expanded somewhat since Malcolm moved into Dovenby Hall

+ Reply to Thread