+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: A long term and complex building/business project

Island Roads are still trying to build their part back up again, after our planning officer knocked back their demands for us to pay for improved footway and a bus shelter on the other side of the road to our land because it was 'creeping urbanisation'.

At the end of the list of draft conditions provided today there was this, squatting at the end under 'informatives'

You are advised of the need to obtain a license in association with Section 171 of the Highways Act 1980 to remodel the existing vehicle crossing serving the site from the A3054, Ningwood Hill.

When this was queried through our planning consultant, the planning officer came back with

The proposed layout allows for the widening of the access track to a minimum metalled width of 4.50m and subject to the imposition of conditions the creation of 'X' = 2.4m by 'Y = 101.0m junction visibility splays. Should the LPA seek to approve this application it is also recommended that a condition be imposed obligating the applicant to widen and remodel the existing vehicle crossing that serve the access from the A3054 so that site users will be able to utilise the full width of the remodelled associated access track. A conventional dropped crossing has been deemed appropriate to serve the site due to the LPA confirming that the camping element will be restricted to a maximum of 13 pitches.

Took my tape measure and checked the width of the existing dropped section of kerb - it's 4.5m wide.

Get back in your box and get in the sea with your demands for obtaining licenses.

In other news, because they've dragged their feet so much, they're giving us four years to prove the business is viable, not three, which is nice.

Also, it seems even dyed concrete is too good for us - we're to have self-binding gravel for the first five meters, because it's better for the tree roots... the tree roots under the track in and out of the site, which has been in use by tractors and other farm machinery, for the last five decades, yeah?

I'm fairly sure I know what will happen to the self-binding gravel: it will self bind to the clay and chalk on vehicle tyres and f*ck off on to the road rather quickly, at which point it will be replaced with a much better gravel binding aka concrete.

SSE were on site last week, with a lorry (which they got stuck) and a Unimog (which they hit things with). I'd laid the duct for the new supply a couple of weeks ago. They came and hung the transformer on the pole on Wednesday and on Thursday morning I got an 'I'm afraid' email from the guy who runs the teams on the IW - I'm afraid you're going to have to dig up your duct as my team can't get the cable through, it must be kinked, or crushed.

H'mmm

They had also cut the duct off at the level of the chalk pad - I still have to lay the concrete base for the cabint.

They had also managed to lose the drawstring out of the duct, too.

Went outside, found a cable they'd left lying about, ran it through the duct in about 2 minutes.

It gave me significant delight to email him back saying I'd sorted the problem his team had created and they were fine to come and finish the job now. They turned up a couple of hours later and grumpily finished the prep work.... the prep work that those guys could do, because although they can joint cables in the air, they can't joint cables for underground, that needs another team, who will be on site on 22nd, when the connection is due to happen.... provided there's no rain, because they're connecting to the 11KV lines live.

Then we have to wait for Ecotricity to turn up and put in a meter and then I have to get an electrician to put in a consumer unit.

I'm sure we will get there in the end.
    It's literally a Diamond shaped Hell at times
    Woodland camping with Forest Schools on the Isle of Wight: campwight.co.uk

Regular
    Your visibility splay is taken at drivers eye height, 2.4m back from the edge of road & you must be able to see 101m in both directions. Have you got this ?

4.5m width is fairly std road width.

Probably worth satisfying the demands put upon you by the roads department. There can be right clever awkward twats that work in roads departments but you probably know this.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Hell View Post
    I could go in to why we haven't had planning signed off, but I don't think NL has that many insomniacs.
    While I appreciate that the central heating running from the car was "Peak Thread" I have to confess I'm finding all of it fascinating

Even if some of the thinking behind the planning permission stuff, and the amount of hoops through which you're having to jump, can be entirely baffling.

Letter from planning department:

Could you just sign this form to say you're good with the fact we should have made a decision by 12th April, but we might get to one by 7th June?

Not sure what my other options are at this point.

Cheeringly SSE did manage to finish the connection work earlier this week, so now we're in the phase of waiting for a meter.

Regular
    At least they asked you and followed their own legal/contractual process. We got told it was bad luck that our planner had a wedding... Which I pointed out wasn't bad luck, unless it was a surprise shotgun wedding, and then cited as evidence in the fact our case was mishandled and a shambles from start to finish (which it was regardless of if the planners in question were getting married or not). We never signed or saw the agreement despite it taking 3x longer than it was legally allowed to...
    About.me - Twitter: @iOlly - Laps: 68

eh, eh, eh (in a Craig Charles Funk & Soul Show kinda way.

Got the letter confirming we have planning permission approval through to my inbox this morning!

My planning consultant "they don't normally issue these until they've turned around the Section 106 notice, countersigned by them. Do you have that?"

Me "No, it's possible I may have kicked off at the IW Council at the tail end of last week, because of the delays we've had"

Now that is over, we enter the fresh hell of discharging our conditions, which includes me making a sample of dyed concrete, to try and get that element of this whole thing over the line, rather than self-sealing f*cking gravel.

When I was MOTing the Rotodama truck on Saturday, I happened to have a very useful chat to a chap who runs road planings, too. These are already in use on the bridleway on the border of our land, so it's going to be something it will be tough to turn down.

Feckin' 'ell though - it's ON!

Regular
    Great news Thomas & definitely 2 fingers up to all the planning idiots who can’t even plan their next tea break based on what you’ve had to deal with!
    SteveM owes me £5
    I owe Dan £5
    Steve. Pay the man!

In case anyone wishes to read the full list of conditions we have to meet and also the officer's justification, they are available at the bottom of this page

https://www.iow.gov.uk/planning/AppD...px?frmId=35545

OK, as eny fule kno, threads is worthless without pitchers.

Thanks to JJ for the steer on setting up an AWS bucket, I now have pitchers somewhere they can be displayed from reasonably easily and I have a few minutes to write up some guff around the pitchers, to narrate things.

So, let's rewind back to 13th April, when we started on site. I basically cut my way in with the chainsaw, to clear where we were going to run the track up from, away from the existing track along the field margin

Borrowed a chipper from a mate, but soon realised there was way too much to slowly feed into it

Ben arrived with a digger and levelled things off for where the track was going to go and he and I laid out the membrane to spread the load and avoid damaging tree roots under the track.

We cleared out the space where the chalk pad was going to go and had a small fire

Then 20 20t loads of crushed chalk arrived. Access was too tight and the ground too spongy to run the truck down the freshly laid track, so I hired in a 3t dumper and did a lot of to and fro, whilst Ben loaded and then spread

It took both Ben and I *slightly* by surprised at just how much of a hill the site is on. This is the pad for where a barn will go (eventually). To start it's where the temporary accommodation is going to be sited

Ah yes, accommodation. We already had one static, but it wasn't in that good a shape after 15 months of us living in it and then 8 months of being empty, in a field.... oh and a pair of water valves under the sink had blown off when someone drove over the supply pipe with a large truck - in the winter - I THOUGHT the water was off, but nope - turned up to a caravan that was completely flooded at one point.

Decided to use it as my office and storage - it's all dried out, but it was a bit of a challenge to pull it out of the field, as I only had the truck on that day (and a bit of assistance from my mate Mark - oh and Chuff, who came to stay for a few days.)

Needed something a bit more persuasive to drag the caravan on to the pad, so borrowed the old man's tractor

Yes, that brown line is a trench the wheel cut

This was the end of the easy transport for this - after this photo, I had to reverse it up on to the pad - about 50m. Took bloody hours.

And finally on the pad

*may* have rotated it with the loader on the tractor, in the end

Shortly after, the living quarters arrived.

That's never moderately intimidating, size-wise, is it?

Off the truck it comes

Hooked it on to the back of my truck. It went about 10 metres, before falling off the chalk track

You can see how much bigger than the other one it is here - it's 12' wide, not 10', which doesn't sound much, but it masses vs how wide our track is.

Some lovely people I know came and gave us a hand that night, with it hooked on the tractor. I basically had to cut trees up the track to the chalk pad, to get it in - our tracks aren't straight (actually planned) so swinging a 36' long, 12' wide static around them was a big ask!

The track's not too bad, but I think I've secured a dressing of 'not chalk' to go over the top of it

And this is basically home for the moment

Then we went and looked at one of the 'mobile homes' we're looking at buying, which confirmed we will be getting one

Apparently, if you're having your own transformer on a pole, you need a 25m long earthing strip from it. We also needed to put in a cabinet for power distribution around the site, so Ben and his 360 came back in for a day

Yes, you can see we're back on Peugeot power and here is the ducting for the elastrickery pipes

SSE came and hung our transformer on the pole a couple of weeks ago

Then we had our first paying big party of the year - three people celebrating their 40th birthdays. massive 18m x 9m marquee and a soundsystem about the size of the moon

Included one of them managing to convince the lads he did a covers band with at Uni to come down from Yorkshire and play, 15 years after they last played together. Save to say, they're all bloody good musicians and it was a right laugh

Whilst they were eating and chatting through the afternoon I got busy mixing up a concrete base for the electricty - needs to terminate in a cabinet, as in due course it will go to the permanent residence, the barn and possibly a couple of other locations on site.

Then I got Mrs Hell to assist with cutting and tamping, because you just can't do that on your own.

after a couple of days I took an angle grinder to the bottom of the £1,000 cabinet I'd bought.

and this is as far as the electricity has got so far.

June 6th for meter install.

We may also have an address around that date, including the name for the house.

Last edited by Diamond Hell; 31-05-2019 at 07:22 PM.

Regular
    For the house - ‘Relinquo’ ?

Good effort though.

The name we've applied for is way better than that.

Mrs Hell wants to use ground screws for the foundations.

Why? Because apprently both of the suggestions from the civil engineer, for piling, because we have soil prone to heaving, recommend a 3m void under the building.

I was a little confused by that, as I read the report and couldn't remember any 3m voids being requested.

In front of the report, just now, me pointing at the laptop screen: "how many metres is that?"

Mrs Hell: 30 centimetres

Met with Little Guy, sorry, Guy Little from this outfit today - they're going to be doing our build

http://habitatmobilehomes.com/

I'd like to say I'm excited, but at my age and default mental position, it's probably more accurate to say 'pensive', I think.

Last night a mate and I connected up the mains electric to the caravan and tested it out successfully.

I no longer have to commit to making a cup of tea - it happens quickly.

I can eat toast again.

We have warm, dry towels.

Happiness ensues.

Regular
    That has to be worth a lot of wife points :D.

Tonight's big reveal - the name of what will be our house.

And no, it's not Hell's End.

We've learned from my parents who, after 50+ years of living at Lee Farm were ambushed by the need to name their new barn conversion.

They chose Lee Barn.

*sigh*

Well done, top marks.

So, our land is 15 acres, on a hill.

Oxgang Holt it is, then.

In medieval English this means 15acre Hill.

There: nailed it in a sly, nominative determinism sort of way.
    Last edited by Diamond Hell; 10-06-2019 at 09:58 PM.

Regular
    Cool name!! Print and laminiate the reason :D. It will save you from hating choosing a name for your property... Ask me how I know... 44, formerly known as The Old Bus Depot...

We were hoping to use steel ground screws for the house from this outfit

http://www.ground-screws.co.uk/

But in order to ensure the property is mortgageable we commissioned a civil engineer to specify the best method for foundations (pop, there goes a grand).

This included a couple of blokes coming round and hand-augering a 6m deep sample, taking samples at 1m intervals. They were not impressed at having to wind a dutch auger (steady Weeman) 6m down through solid brick clay.

Anyway, surprise surprise we're on high, to very high shrinkage soil, which means we will need to be on piles about 4m deep, with 'anti-heave measures' on the foundations.

Still, at least the piles will only need to be about 200m in diameter.

Next step - the civil engineer needs to provide a detailed design for the foundations (pop, there goes another three and a half grand). He's said he'll work with us to secure a piling contractor to do the groundwork, so hopefully that'll be reasonably easy (here's hoping).

Because we're putting in piles, the good news is we won't need to remove all the trees around us, which means we can have a very cool house, right in the middle of the woods.

Guy Little (must not call him Little Guy) from Habitat Mobile Homes has visited and he and Mrs Hell are cooking up a roof terrace for one end of the accommodation and some cool shutters to keep our light emissions right down... neither of which will apparently impact on the cost of the build - as he said, there's no point putting in a massive, beautiful roof in here, as it won't be possible to see it. He also got excited about doing the roof terrace, so it's good to have buy-in from the little guy who will be doing the turn-key on the building (see how easy that is?).

Meanwhile I'm involved in a bit of a punch up over the track, as the planning consultant 'didn't think it would be so tall'... erm, so we're not allow to cut it into the ground because roots and it has to be capable of taking daily traffic through all weathers and the occasional truck up here... how tall didn't you think it would be, exactly? Oh you hadn't really though about it?

The second part of that punch up is with Mrs Hell, because the chalk absolutely will not work over-winter - with the heavy rain it's already tried going to sh*t a couple of times. I have secured a source of very cheap road planings, but Mrs Hell would like 'Type 1' (limestone), because the planings 'might smell'.

Against the Type 1 they're completely inert, so won't get sticky in very wet weather, they'll also glue themselves together over a summer, or two and cost thousands less. Also they're not imported from hundreds of miles away and they're recycled.

That's my pitch - I would welcome comments from anyone with any experience of the two surfaces.

I have road planking’s as a cheap way of extending my drive. The advice I seem to recall is that they need to be fresh planking’s in order for the stickyness to work. Mine aren’t, but work ok for a driveway extension

Really enjoy reading this, do keep the updates coming

Hello, is that the Council Tax Office?

Yes, I'd like to sign up and pay Council Tax.

No, we haven't built the house yet, but we're using local services and our kids go to school and I'd rather be contributing to our local authority, rather than finding out I'm due a load of money further down the line.

Apparently this is quite an unusual enquiry and they have no idea what the hell to do with it.

Basically we can't pay council tax until we've built the house (I can see it'll be awkward after that, as we only have temporary permission for the dwelling, too).

Talk about trying to do the right thing and everything going to pot!

I've been putting off contracting with a commercial waste company, but I'm going to have to go ahead, even if it's just for our domestic waste, as I simply CBA to run to the tip every bloody weekend. I also feel like a right b*stard tipping our rubbish, especially as I can't sort out recycling and compost waste, as it's sorted differently at the recycling centre (go figure).

Meanwhile, I should have foundation contractors coming out to price the foundations in the next week 1/2 responses so far gets marks for initiative in that they asked if we would like the sewage treatment plant buried at the same time - yes please.

Negative marks for the foundation design for the civil engineer who did the foundation design - I checked it by a mate, who recommended him and he's under-specced the anti-heave measures for the ground beams linking up the piles, so they're at risk of collapse under the weight of the poured, wet concrete. I went back and suggested it looked a bit under-specced, having done the calcs (honest, guv) and his response?

'oh we always just use that grade of Cellcore, it's always fine'

This is the product:

https://cordek.com/products/cellcore-hxb

Don't know about you, but given the technical and critical nature of what's being done, I'd rather rely on maths to provide the grade that should be in use, rather than anecdotal 'it'll be fiiiiiiiiine'.

Anyway, he's fine with us 'over-engineering' the grade in use and it'll give us confidence that we're not about to get into a bun-fight with him and the groundwork contractor, if a ground beam collapses when poured.

Meanwhile, we're close to discharging the conditions on our planning, so we can really lift our skirts and get a wriggle on.

We're also adding new products to the campsite, although only tiny increments. The latest offerings are 'Hire a Hammock' and 'Rent a Tent' - where you rock up and we provide either hammocks (yes, they're actual waterproof hammocks you string between trees) or you arrive and there is a tent with roll-mats, stove, cooking utensils, chairs and a firepit all set up, ready.

The latter offering seems to have caused significant confusion in people looking at the offer 'oooh, that's very expensive' and then when it's explained (in the words used in the original post), they suddenly realise they get pretty much everything they need to camp with us and suddenly it doesn't look expensive.

It's very nice being able to be open right through now and we're seeing 3-5 groups camping with us most weekends (and some through the week, too).

Once the conditions are signed off, I'll order new signage for the road, which should increase interest further, as at the moment the road sign says we're only open in school holidays.

Sometimes I think we've had a nightmare with planning, then occasionally a story comes along which makes me feel better about things

https://onthewight.com/57-home-devel...-island-roads/

Had Andrea from licensing here today looks like we should be licensed in the next week and apparently we need to mark out the overhead power lines to ensure yacht owners don't make contact with them (seriously).

Waiting on additional quotes back for the groundworks at the moment and still chewing through the financial dick-dance.

In the interim, it's summer holidays and people are going camping!!

We have added the new 'products' to the options for our customers, aspreviously flagged.

Rent-a-tent

http://campwight.co.uk/index.php/rent-a-tent

or Hire-a-Hammock

http://campwight.co.uk/index.php/hire-a-hammock

So obviously I spent a little time adding the webpages and we have also posted about these things on Facebook and spent a whopping £40 promoting the posts.

This has got us a little interest and a couple of bookings for both... maybe four tent bookings and a couple of hammockers.

I thought I'd pop the hammocks and tents on that Airbnb and see what happened.

That was today.

6 enquiries and already one booking.

I only decided to try them because my folks have recently started booking their holiday houses out through Airbnb and the cost Airbnb take out is much, much smaller than the likes of Homeaway.

£80 booking, £3 charge from it.

If that works, I'll keep doing that.

Regular
    Just caught up - great progress! Also, I love the SSE Unimog
    Too many cars...

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    Just caught up - great progress! Also, I love the SSE Unimog
    I also loved it (it was just outside the window from where I sit when working at home), although it did have a massive rear overhang for the cherry picker etc.

What I didn't look was the number of trees they ran over with it on the way in and out!

+ Reply to Thread