+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A long term and complex building/business project

We put it about 5 metres from the static, but at the opposite end of the static to the bedrooms.

Because it only idles, it's a low level of background noise and we only ran it over-night when it was *really* cold.

The low battery beeping in the middle of the night was far more tiresome.

We were in a pretty sheltered location - I just looked and you can actually see the pikey encampment here:

https://map.what3words.com/entrust.pegged.protrude

Switch to satellite view to see our 'residential paraphernalia'

Planning application went in yesterday.

Now we're really getting down to it.
    It's literally a Diamond shaped Hell at times
    Woodland camping with Forest Schools on the Isle of Wight: campwight.co.uk

Great work TC, are you expecting an apocalypse.

No, I'm expecting planning consent!

That might be more difficult 🤣

Local press having been reading the planning applications online, it would seem:

https://onthewight.com/glamping-pods...-difficulties/

https://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/17340779...-difficulties/

Carbon copy reporting. Didn't contact either of them.

We were on the agenda last night at the local Parish Council.

*gulp*

We went and quietly watched the meeting.

Thankfully there's a particularly contentious application in the parish at the moment, so most of the focus was on that, but our application got a chunk of attention because we were on the same agenda and instead of the normal 2-3 attendees beyond the council members, there were about 40 people there because of this other application.

In particular there was one guy, late 30s, with long hair and a large hipster beard and a 'box fresh' type cap. He was waving around our plans and going on about how there was nothing about how we were going to sort out our sewage and wasn't that a rather large unit for temporary accommodation and why did we need 365 day permission for camping (duh, it's glamping).

Turns out he owns a local self-catering accommodation nearby. He moved down here in 2016 and conveniently he's shown what he's really interested in by putting in an objection today, which makes a few inadmissable comments, but then gets into the meat of what he really wants.

...we have footpath S20 running through our property which links to the Hampstead trail which runs through this woodland where the application is being proposed. Our footpath has no real purpose as it runs parallel to the Hampstead trail and often causes confusion to the few walkers that use it. Our property was previously used as a vineyard and the previous owners removed the vines and posts leaving dangerous 2 ft deep holes across the fields which are also ridged due to the vines. The Footpath is clearly defined but we still have people trespassing across the fields with dogs etc and feel that if this application is approved it will increase traffic in an already dangerous area with potentially vulnerable children.

If this planning application is approved we strongly feel that it would be necessary to close the small section of footpath through our land. Walkers using the Hampstead trail would either continue through Wellow crossing at Coopers Lane or use the reopened old railway line running through Mr Cowley's property to Hill Place Lane. This would create a less confusing route and would eliminate any hazards and dangers to the potentially increased volume from the campsite, walkers and their dogs through our field.

Bloody long winded way to say I'd like to use this planning application to try to get the footpath in front of your house closed.

No dice, mofo.

The parish council commented positively, which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Hell View Post
    We were on the agenda last night at the local Parish Council.

*gulp*

We went and quietly watched the meeting.

Thankfully there's a particularly contentious application in the parish at the moment, so most of the focus was on that, but our application got a chunk of attention because we were on the same agenda and instead of the normal 2-3 attendees beyond the council members, there were about 40 people there because of this other application.

In particular there was one guy, late 30s, with long hair and a large hipster beard and a 'box fresh' type cap. He was waving around our plans and going on about how there was nothing about how we were going to sort out our sewage and wasn't that a rather large unit for temporary accommodation and why did we need 365 day permission for camping (duh, it's glamping).

Turns out he owns a local self-catering accommodation nearby. He moved down here in 2016 and conveniently he's shown what he's really interested in by putting in an objection today, which makes a few inadmissable comments, but then gets into the meat of what he really wants.

Bloody long winded way to say I'd like to use this planning application to try to get the footpath in front of your house closed.

No dice, mofo.

The parish council commented positively, which is nice.
    Thank you for bringing the dangerous state of your property to our attention. Please make it safe at your own expense. Thank you for your contribution.
    BMW E90 330i Sport / Kawasaki ZX6R.
    Custodian and seller of Northloop stickers.

Also: needs guidance on the use of the term 'trespass'.

Today's news.

We have to pay over £11k to the Solent Protection Area Mitigation fund as part of our planning permission.

This is forwarded to

http://www.birdaware.org/

Let me just see how happy I am about that...

Checked: not so happy about it.

Ouch.

Assume only liable once planning is complete? Screw that though.

Regular
    Thatís a legalised no choice on your part Ďbribeí & a pretty crap thing to enforce on you.
    SteveM owes me £5
    I owe Dan £5
    Steve. Pay the man!

£150 to be paid up-front to do the legal work of setting up a unilateral undertaking to pay the money and local searches to confirm ownership of the land etc.

Of course, if I don't commit to this, the authority won't give planning permission.

Apparently they will ask for payment of the full amount as soon as they grant permission (IF they grant permission), but you don't have to pay until you've actually moved in.

The whole thing is something of a web of murk. It seems the managing/creating body for this body is the Solent Local Enterprise Partnership. The Bird Aware website has no company number, or charity number on it, so now I'm going to set about identifying a bit more about who the hell they are and whether I legally have to pay (of course I will have to, or we won't get permission).

We're basically being asked to pay as much as we would have to, if we were building 20 houses, which seems..... f**king mental.

Still, at least this is good old being ripped off by a British quango, not one of those unelected EU bodies, eh?

http://www.birdaware.org/article/281...-contributions

Reads like you might be able to self-mitigate, avoiding the need to hand over cash? Also, the fees seem quite different to what you were quoted?

Iím sure the first thing you did was Google it, but just in case..

We had that, or something similar. Is this a s107 payment or SPA?

Long story short - new build, council totally useless, developer took the michael and didnít keep to their side of the planning document requirements and the council didnít enforce it

The area was covered by ďConservation of Habitats and Species Regulations 2010, Directive 2009/147/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 30 November 2009 on the conservation of wild birds (codified version).Ē

We (residents) were supposedly responsible for the upkeep of SANGS. The issue was the complexity of the SANGS - which were borderline on being a site of scientific interest, and the developers let them go to complete ruin

We moved but itís still not properly resolved and every time thereís a sale/purchase the legal teams raise it as the bill to rectify would be crippling, and thatís across 189 dwellings

Itís good that, supposedly, planning has means of protecting environment and so on. However the funds invariably get misused and just prop up councils.

Regular
    Just got onto reading this thread properly...very interesting.
    Im currently living on my mother in laws 60 acre farm, in East Sussex.
    The wife and I are thinking about going down the glamping route.
    We have lots of plantations (several thousand trees) with clearings and rides, a 9 acre ancient woodland and several acres of pasture.
    The local primary school has used it (foc) in recent years for a small forest school.
    Judging by the amount of punters you get, I guess we should get on with it.
    I will continue reading with interest!!
    Porsche 993 joy

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lord View Post
    Just got onto reading this thread properly...very interesting.
    Im currently living on my mother in laws 60 acre farm, in East Sussex.
    The wife and I are thinking about going down the glamping route.
    We have lots of plantations (several thousand trees) with clearings and rides, a 9 acre ancient woodland and several acres of pasture.
    The local primary school has used it (foc) in recent years for a small forest school.
    Judging by the amount of punters you get, I guess we should get on with it.
    I will continue reading with interest!!
    Shout me if you want to discuss it - we're obviously completely different areas, so happy to share business plans etc.

Mrs Hell has a Forest School Practitioner qualification and we've been doing the camping for the last five years, so the step to upgrade the facilities is a natural and sensible one.

In other news - things planners say 'it's only another 21 days, so it's not a problem at all'.

This has been said a lot over the past couple of years - planning doesn't work to timescales understandable to mere mortals.

We spent two hours on site with our planning officer and planning consultant and the draughtsman this morning. Plans need to be resubmitted, which means 21 day reconsultation period (ARGH!) but then it looks like we're in the space of having something that the planning officer and the tree officer she brought with her really like.

The officer said 'you haven't really had any objections, have you?'

Errr, no dear, it's like we've carefully planned this and talked to a lot of people about it.

She also wasn't aware that Bird Aware was neither a charity, or a Limited Company. I'm having a little poke about them at the moment, because I'm not giving the price of a secondhand 911 to a bunch of opaque shysters, so they can put a few information boards up and send out some wardens to ask people not to walk their dogs on wetlands.

Regular
    [QUOTE=Diamond Hell;1046785]Shout me if you want to discuss it - we're obviously completely different areas, so happy to share business plans etc.

Mrs Hell has a Forest School Practitioner qualification and we've been doing the camping for the last five years, so the step to upgrade the facilities is a natural and sensible one.

Cheers, may well do
    Porsche 993 joy

Had to re consult, which was painful. Necessary to clarify some things in such a large site.

10 more days of consult and then hopefully a decision.

Then we will be having a chat to the planners about another, much bigger site who has just announced they will have geodesic domes, the same as ours, from this May.... Not that they have any planning permission for such things.

Because this has all taken so long, there's going to be a scramble to get accommodation on site, if we get the nod.

I've been checking out new 'twin' units which look like about £50-60k and will sell for £30-40k in 4-5 years time.

The question is whether to do that and maybe expect to be in it for five years, or dip in around £20-30k and get something secondhand.

This may come down to 'happy wife, happy life'... Although TBH I'm quite keen to be in something nice - it is, after all, where we live!

Regular
    https://www.iow.gov.uk/planning/Plan...zzzzzzfjhrachi (Link corrupted)

Ten days to go - are you nervous ?

For what itís worth good luck/you seem to have some support.

She also wasn't aware that Bird Aware was neither a charity, or a Limited Company. I'm having a little poke about them at the moment, because I'm not giving the price of a secondhand 911 to a bunch of opaque shysters
    Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

Regular
    This may come down to 'happy wife, happy life'... Although TBH I'm quite keen to be in something nice - it is, after all, where we live!
    Underestimate this at your peril :D - Fingers crossed with the consultation :D.
    About.me - Twitter: @iOlly - Laps: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Langeveld View Post
    Did you ever get to the bottom of this?
    They're opaque shysters.

I'm currently trying to get induction occupancy percentage data to support a mitigation of our mitigation payment.

Unfortunately this is incredibly sensitive data, so even asking for aggregate, anonymised data from booking firms is kryptonite to them.

Thankfully I used to work for an IW based firm who provide such a tool (albeit on a small scale) so I fluttered my eyelashes at my ex boss this lunchtime. Hopefully she will come good with some stats for Natural England.

TBH this has been going on so long I don't have the energy on this subject to be nervous. I just want the outcome, so we can move on, or move in!

The planning consultant has made encouraging noises, but I really wouldn't put any faith in that at this time.

Today is the day I managed to roll Natural England over.

They wanted £11,725 for mitigation of our impact on the Solent SPA.

They've settled for £2,843 and some measures like briefing people on arrival about not walking off footpaths around the marshes at Newtown and Yarmouth.

It's an almighty relief and required a lot of negotiation - planning consultant is amazed at how I've managed to move them and I'm just bloody chuffed.

This was the final obstacle to our permission. We're now in the place to press go on a large number of things:

Utility supplies
    Another interim caravan
    Ground work
    Glamping units

All this and starting a new job on 4th March.

All hands to pumps now.

They've settled for £2,843 and some measures like briefing people on arrival about not walking off footpaths around the marshes at Newtown and Yarmouth.

It's an almighty relief and required a lot of negotiation - planning consultant is amazed at how I've managed to move them and I'm just bloody chuffed.

This was the final obstacle to our permission. We're now in the place to press go on a large number of things:

Utility supplies
    Another interim caravan
    Ground work
    Glamping units

All hands to pumps now.
    Amazing work. I would have expected zero movement on a matter like that.

Good news, well done chap!
    BMW 3.0 Z4 Roadster. Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI T2. Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000.

Utility supplies
    Another interim caravan
    Ground work
    Glamping units

All hands to pumps now.
    Good work Team Cowley!

Regular
    Great news, shows with a lot of hard work you can get these stupid added restrictions & inflated costs reduced to a semi reasonable level.
    SteveM owes me £5
    I owe Dan £5
    Steve. Pay the man!

Hold on.

*insert local planner here*

Yesterday everything was f*cked into a cocked hat.

Today my mission is to extract everything from said cocked hat.

Someone in Natural England had the substantial misfortune to call me about 10 minutes after the f*cking had occurred and was subjected to the full force of my wrath, by telephone.

I'll be speaking to his boss in about 14 minutes.

Situation extracted from cocked hat.

Solely financial contribution secured for mitigation, with no additional custom requirements. Increase of charge to £4,300, but the removal of the onerous requirements will be a huge relief.

Bloke we've escalated to at NE would like to have a detailed post-mortem on this. Oh that's going to be enjoyable for me.

Fresh in from the Isle of Wight Council today:

Proposed change of use of land to tourism/education to include siting of seven glamping pods, campsite, outdoor classroom, showers, toilets, storage, temporary wardens accommodation, alterations to vehicular access and car parking

Further to our recent correspondence I am writing to confirm that Natural England have now removed their objection to the planning application, following agreement for a reduced rate contribution towards the Bird Aware Solent Mitigation strategy, as set out within their consultation response dated 8th April 2019.

Your officer and I have discussed the case in detail and consider that the proposals are in accordance with relevant planning policies, taking into account material planning considerations and conditions recommended by statutory consultees. Therefore, the Planning Authority will be completing its report and Appropriate Assessment in the next two weeks and will be recommending that planning permission is granted, subject to conditions.
    Basically: it's chainsaw time.

Regular
    YAY!!!! Congratulations :D
    About.me - Twitter: @iOlly - Laps: 68

Well done
    "Fortunately, I'd taken a spare Gearbox, Turbo, Actuator, Banjo Connector, Steering Rack, Driveshafts, ECU, Wideband sensor, 57-51mm silicone reducing elbow and a Copper Banjo Washer." - Nige

Pioneer of the Northloop lunge
    Daily: Ford Kuga 2.0 tdci - Family wagon
    SteveM owes me £5.

Fresh in from the Isle of Wight Council today:

Basically: it's chainsaw time.
    Won't somebody think of the birds...
    Northloop.co.uk - at the forefront of political debate since Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Benz View Post
    Won't somebody think of the birds...
    I've been onto the RSPB already. Injunction inbound.
    Simon no longer owes me anything, Dave does though.
    Floyd probably owes me at least twenty with the interest rolling up...

Hey - I've paid for the sodding birds, particularly the migratory nesting ones.... which Natural England has just issued a license to allow the release of sea eagles down here.... raptors that do like a migratory nesting bird, the likes of which I've just paid a significant chunk of change to protect.

God-damn this is a time of conflicted, f*cked up sh*t, isn't it?

£12k paid to SSE for our electricity connection yesterday.

Ouch.

3 phase 100a supply though, which gives us great power for a wash room and any 3-phase equipment I might need to install in the storage barn.

It was another £3k to step up to 3-phase. Definitely will be worth it. Conveniently we're straight off a pole on our land, so we will do the work away from the pole etc, to keep costs down.

Having met a mate of mine who does 'field services' it looks like it'll be about £3200 for chalk for the 200m long track and a few days at £250 a day to lay it. This will include the chalk base for the barn, which will have a static on it for the first few months, whilst we get the plinth down for the longer term (temporary) accommodation.

Then I need to check the price for the sewage treatment plant and get on to Southern Water for a water connection (no frantic rush on that one though, as we had a 'field water' connection at the moment).

We have made an offer on a very small tractor.

Now waiting nervously to see if the seller accepts.

Possible new Member's cars/tractors thread incoming.

Obviously, it's a project and makes my Golf look showroom fresh.

Regular
    We have made an offer on a very small tractor.

Possible new Member's cars/tractors thread incoming.

Obviously, it's a project and makes my Golf look showroom fresh.
    Well this could be the common ground .....
    Iíve just this weekend got my Tef20 dug out ready for some love & first obstacle is, after taking off the slowly but working starter....it doesnít have a flywheel.....

So if you start the thread Iíll join in

MF or go home :)

Regular
    MFI - for the Coventry connection.
    the older I get, the faster I used to be.

Triumph ST1050
    northloop slag MX5

I'm more of a Fit Or Repair Daily kinda guy.

Sorry about that.

It does have comedy and completely inappropriate graphics on the side of it.

Collecting it later today, so pics then.

So, I spent a lot of time on the chainsaw at the weekend, clearing the clearing in which we're going to be living.

I think we took delivery of about 75M2 of crushed chalk yesterday.

A similar volume will arrive today.

I'm a bit sunburnt.

I've spent a lot of time riding the dumper rodeo to distribute the chalk, as the 20t truck won't fit down our little track.

I'll post up photos in due course.

From a couple of days ago

I should think we had an inch of rain last night and it's still going. Planning want us to only use chalk, for the tracks but not to drag anything on to the road. Judging by what happened as I drove on to the road this morning, that's going to need a dressing of limestone immediately our officer signs off our permission.... Which still hasn't happened, due to a variety of reasons.

We're also not allowed to have more than 5m of concrete back off the road, because she views it as 'urbanisation'.

Farm I grew up on has a 200m concrete drive, as do many other farms, as they need to be accessible throughout the year, as will we.

Our officer is - at the same time - asking for a 'sterile area' for wheel wash back from the road... Apparently concrete isn't allowed, but when asked what we should use she had no suggestions.

Although we obviously wouldn't, it would seem the answer is 'say yes and do what you want/need to'.

I could go in to why we haven't had planning signed off, but I don't think NL has that many insomniacs.

Meanwhile another glamping provider saw our plans - because your have to publish your planning publicly and has now put up five of the domes we have planning for.

They don't have planning for them, apparently enforcement is taking action, but meanwhile they're taking bookings and making good money from our idea. Will there be any penalties? Doubt it. Where they've put the domes is also a major eyesore. Bit trying when you're playing by the rules

Regular
    F### me there are some stupid decisions/thinking in this country. Good on you for keeping at it, many wouldn't have got 10% of the way you've come so far....
    If a man speaks his mind in a forest and no woman hears him...is he still wrong ?

I also hear that Youtube is complaining about copyright infringement on the chalk laying video. Will it never end?

Good on yer for grinding on chap.
    BMW 3.0 Z4 Roadster. Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI T2. Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
    I also hear that Youtube is complaining about copyright infringement on the chalk laying video. Will it never end?

Apparently Mrs Hell only just made it out in the A2 this morning.

Planning officer is known as a 'difficult woman' apparently - promoted from receptionist at the department to a planning officer - I have no idea how and I'm a little suspicious she has no idea what she's doing, aside from pandering to her particular prejudices. She seems obsessed with 'urbanisation' - spent ages mithering with my parents on their build, about the landscaping, because she didn't want it to look too urban - this is a barn conversion, in a farmyard.

To be fair, we're so far invested in this, it would be very difficult not to keep on going and when I've been outside the pikey encampment in the evening, it's felt very good.

+ Reply to Thread