+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A long term and complex building/business project

A long term and complex building/business project

June 19th 2017 we moved out of our house.

Since then we've been living off grid, in a field.

I'm just breaking down what someone described as a 'posh pikey encampment'. This has been home for me and my family for the last fifteen months whilst we've been mired in planning... Which isn't finished yet!

Great year to choose, eh? Coldest winter in years and then the hottest summer in 40 years!
    It's literally a Diamond shaped Hell at times
    Woodland camping with Forest Schools on the Isle of Wight: campwight.co.uk

Well I wouldn't say posh...
    Simon no longer owes me anything, Dave does though.
    Floyd probably owes me at least twenty with the interest rolling up...

Good luck, you will look back at this period with fond and cringing memories when your encamped in nice new house! I built three years ago now, your life really does get put on hold. I recall our 'rental' shack of a house while we were building. It worked out as a bonus as it kept us on our toes with regards to keeping the building going and on track. Couldnt wait to get out so spent more time on site. It also conditions you to really appreciate the new build!

Whats the plans for the new house like? Low energy or passive house?
    Track: 1992 Mitsubishi Evolution 1 RS 1002kilos @ 300Bhp
    Classic: 1985 BMW E28 M535i
    Daily: Skoda Octavia Combi vRS

Regular
    You have a very understanding family :D. Planners are one of the worst kinds of human being, one-off clampers and traffic wardens.
    About.me - Twitter: @iOlly - Laps: 68

Regular
    It’s like a Grand Designs episode, where’s Kevin?
    Too many cars...

Regular
    I can now see why you stay on the mainland with work as much as possible, Thomas

Good luck with this, look forward to seeing what plans you have & how it unfolds
    SteveM owes me £5
    I owe Dan £5
    Steve. Pay the man!

Regular
    The ratio of caravans to track cars on this website is too damn high.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post

Do you like dags?

Best of luck with your ongoing project D.H.

Now I'm not standing in a field, a little more background.... for your enjoyment (there's lots, I've been saving this up!)

October 2016, after running our fourth successful camping season on what was my folk's land, we were offered the land. It is incredibly poor agricultural land, ironically the most of it was a field called Cleared Field, as it was cleared in 1977 when my old man bought that piece of land. In the early noughties, it was planted up with mixed deciduous woodland, under the Jigsaw Scheme, which was designed to link up isolated woodland, to create new wildlife corridors and habitats, to replace those which had been lost over the years. You might see areas alongside roads like the A34, where there are wide bands of juvenile woodland - this is part of this scheme.

You can tell how poor the land is, as some of the trees haven't made 6' high yet! Others are much, much taller.

Anyway, the camping has been in my signature for years - we mowed out clearings off a couple of tracks, where areas of trees had failed, so we have about 15 well-separated pitches. People love camping there, because you're basically in a secluded pitch, away from everyone else, rather than being in a field, staring at all of your neighbours.

We have a couple of 6x4 sheds, on pallets, which have composting toilets, which gets recycled after cooking down for 12-18 months on to nearby fields, which grow crops for one of the anaerobic digester plants on the IW - all nice and out of the human food chain.

One of the sheds has a solar panel on it and both have sensor-based LED lights on the front and inside. Off the battery there is also a 12v and a couple of USB ports, which people use - we get quite a lot of cycle and hiking campers who need this sort of thing.

We also have a couple of pallet-based sink units, for people to wash up at and two solar showers. Thankfully the site has a mains water supply, so this makes all of this easy.

For the past now six years we've been doing this for 28 days a year: no planning needed and no permanent structures. It's a very light touch.

We also have schools, the local college and the NHS who use the site for Forest Schools activities, which kids love and gets them away from screens. It's also really positive development, or recovery-wise.

Now we've established the bones of a business and proved we weren't just mucking about, we had this offer of the land being transferred, which is really kind of my folks (and no doubt will be reflected in reduction in anything coming across on their deaths!).

I spend a lot of time whining about my old man being a dick about all sorts of things (like promising 30ac and only passing us 15ac in the end and taking 18months to actually come good on his original promise, for rather nefarious reasons) but to most people it sounds like sour grapes and ungratefulness, because we're 'getting something for free' (believe me it ain't free!).

Anyway, after we had some firm promises about the land being transferred, we/my wife (just bear in mind she led this thing, not me!) decided to put our house on the market - these things take time, right?

Nope, sold in three months.

So we needed somewhere to live. Rental properties are out because we have two cats and a dog. We were originally hoping to spend a maximum of 12 months in this caravan, but - as Olly has pointed out: planning - it's been significantly longer.

Because of the sensitive environmental nature of the site we have had to do tree surveys, reptile surveys, dormouse surveys, Great Crested Newt surveys and a lot of planning. All of these things have to be done at specific times of the year and take MONTHS to do. We're nearly at the end of all this guff, but in a recent email the reptile surveyor suddenly said they needed access to put down covers to survey the reptiles and they hadn't been able to do this until now because it's been too hot.

What do reptiles do when it's 'too hot'? Go on f*cking holiday? Who knows, eh?

None of this could happen until we had completed a pre-planning application. I wasn't going to do this until we owned the land because 1. until I owned the land I wasn't spending my money on it 2. for inheritance tax reasons we couldn't leave a trail of paperwork showing change of use for the land in advance of the transfer. Naturally the local authority took twice as long as they give themselves to actually return their pre-planning advice to us.

There's a lot to this, so I'll keep coming back and updating the thread over the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I'd like to point out our caravan is static and is not of the traffic-bothering shed-dragging type.

Regular
    Swap your Dad for my Nan and that reads hauntingly familiarly. IHT issues and all. By the time we got to planning, we were into the idea of building for 4 years and £40k out of pocket. Looking back, it was madness. Keep at it, you'll get there and it will be worth it :D. Looking forward to seeing the build progress and end result :D.
    About.me - Twitter: @iOlly - Laps: 68

And you were 'just' building a house.

What we're gunning for here is as follows:

Longer license for camping
    Planning for 10 glamping units in clearings
    Outdoor classroom for more Forest Schools activities
    Facilities block for camping/glamping
    Accommodation
    Storage for glamping units out of season

Those last two are the tough ones. We're outside any development envelope and were broken when we got the pre-app advice back, which said they would not support permanent accommodation on the site at the moment. This is where the planning consultant swung into action. Wording is all about semantics here. They won't support permanent accommodation, as it looks like we're asking for too much: they want to see a successful business to start with, so they *should* support temporary accommodation initially and once the business has proven it's viable (minimum £16k profit per year apparently) then they will approve permanent accommodation.

Oh no, we thought - more living in a caravan.

Turns out there are caravans and then there are caravans. We're going to apply to have a unit from Value Mobile Homes on the site. This is not value as in Tesco Value:

http://www.valuemobilehomes.com/

One of their bigger units has more floor space than our previous 3-bed semi. Six month lead time, but there's not likely to be much rush to move up to permanent accommodation once we're in.

And the last thing: storage for and a unit in which to build glamping units. That would be a 30'x40' 'rustic finish' barn. It's just for storage, OK. No one mention the 'w' word.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Hell View Post
    And the last thing: storage for and a unit in which to build glamping units. That would be a 30'x40' 'rustic finish' barn. It's just for storage, OK. No one mention the 'w' word.
    Storage, with 3 phase , a couple of lifts for building units, water supply etc etc.

I hate dealing with the authorities on things like this.

We’re still on the fence about doing a building project or just moving. However, there isn’t much around here that we would move too.

Saw a house recently:

They’ve managed to grade 2 list the pole barn (yep that shitty thing with no walls and a corrugated roof) and the stables (the little row that holds the mower). The main house isn’t listed, apparently.

Mainhouse mostly meets our needs, short of reintegrating the annex and an extra stairway, but very uncertain about taking on responsibility for those two near derelict listed buildings... I did, however, think about putting a massive shed inside the pole barn.

It would be lovely to do something nice with those outbuildings, but the thought of the time and aggravation makes me feel a bit sick, as does the thought of having to spend money stopping these ‘important’ things falling down (and I think this is reflecting in the very fair asking price). .

You have my sympathies Thomas and are way more patient than me!
    BMW E90 330i Sport / Kawasaki ZX6R.
    Custodian and seller of Northloop stickers.

Tell them about the heating!
    Tell them all about the heating!

Quote Originally Posted by stevem View Post
    Storage, with 3 phase , a couple of lifts for building units, water supply etc etc.
    Yes, the best glamping construction and maintenance tools are 3-phase and it's important that to make the most use of the space we are able to double-stack the units and treat the underside of them, with preservative by them up. This will also ensure a second one can go under it, to make the most of the storage.

We are also likely to need a lathe and other tools to make our own glamping units.

The floor will be power-floated concrete, so glamping units can be moved around in the barn easily, too.

So, a bit more about living in a caravan, with no mains electricity.

We had mains water most of the time. If we didn't have that, we wouldn't have been able to do this, end of story.

To put mains electricity in would have been over £10k, so that wasn't on the agenda, but conveniently we had some 'seconds' of solar panels lying about. Six of these 235W panels were gathered up and put on frames. To manage the power we bought a solar charge controller. Specifically we bought a Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) unit, as these are significantly more efficient than the cheaper ones.

What does the MPPT controller do? photovoltaic outputs a range of voltage, from 0-55v on these panels, the controller converts that to ~12v and scales the output amps to suit, so you're charging the batteries, not boiling them.

Obviously we're not going to be running on solar 24hrs a day, as it's just not that sunny, not even on the Isle of Wight, so the charge controller was hooked up to a battery bank. This started as the leisure battery out of the van, which was then joined by a pair of bigger leisure batteries, which then proved to be, well, a bit sh*t. Did you know there are three well-defined classes of leisure battery?

Nope? Me neither, until last summer.

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/mo...rified-battery

I looked into the high-class-rated ones and 1. you can't mix with standard lead-acid batteries, as the chemistry is different (need a higher voltage to charge properly, so the conventional ones would boil) and 2. f*ck me, are they dear.

My folks have an occasional gardener whose main work is golf course maintenance - did they have any scrap golf cart traction batteries lying about? I asked: Oh yes, dragged a couple round the back the other week. Could I come grab the batteries? Yeah, no problems. So, I got a filthy pair of these:

https://www.trojanbattery.com/product/t-1275/

for a crate of beers.

Would they be OK?

Yeah, they'll be fine: they're designed to be deep-cycled and they have a LOT of capacity. We ran on these from last autumn until now.

But what were we running from them?

I cracked open the RCD box in the caravan and tossed it out. The lighting circuit went straight on to a 12v feed from the solar controller and I went round and replaced all of the bulbs and the holders in the lights with domestic 12v LED lamp fittings. Honestly you wouldn't know the difference - it was ace. I also set up a panel in the caravan with six 12v to USB outlets for phone etc charging. This worked like a charm, too - no wall warts.

However, there's no easy way to get away from 240AC power entirely. Most people will be familiar with 12v inverters, which convert 12v DC to 240v AC. I went and grabbed one from Maplins (remember them?), took a battery and the inverter to the house and plugged the fridge into it. The fridge worked, but made some unusual noises, so I took it to the TV and plugged that in to see if that would work. Yes, that worked too, but bloody hell did it buzz!

through most of this I've been relying on my very good friend DannyP for technical advice. Danny had said "buy a 'pure-sine-wave' inverter" but this was a rare occasion when I'd shrugged and figured 'meh, how different can it be?'

Oh yeah, it can be a lot different. Without delving too deep into this, *alternating* current has a smooth sine wave curve that goes up and down at a nice, steady rate. Turns out this is quite expensive to replicate in a device converting DC to AC. 'modified sine wave' inverters basically turn that lovely smooth sine wave electrical devices are expecting into a staircase up and down. Electrical kit doesn't like staircases, it likes a slide.

So, pure sine wave inverter purchased, we're good to hook the caravan ring up to that, for power. Solar in the day, batteries at night. All I did was put a standard 3-pin plug on a heavy duty lead from the ring, to the inverter.

Heavy duty?

How much power are we going to be able to use here?

reasonably priced *pure sine wave* inverters start with an output of about 1000W, so that was our energy budget: peak 1KW use.

For 15 months we have not used more than 1000W in the caravan, except when I got a generator in to use a hairdryer on the secondary double glazing film. Try finding a hairdryer under 1000W. They don't exist.

What was on the 240AC.

The fridge 24/7. That has been the only bit of constantly running kit in the caravan.

Also we have had a TV (80W) and DVD player (30W) which we've used sometimes. Also I work from home, so a laptop (80W charger) and second monitor (160W!) and that's about it.

You have no idea how much I've missed toast (2000w).

Thankfully my barn isn't far from the caravan location and has power and water, so clothes washing, drying and any ironing has all been done there.

One of the things I REALLY will not miss from the last 15 months is the regular 'you've run out of juice' alarm from the inverter, which kicks off normally in the middle of your deepest sleep cycle (3-5AM) when it does.

We'll talk about backup power in due course.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Langeveld View Post

Yes, yes! It's my favourite bit. It's ingenious and unbelievable.
    @ThrottleSteerer - Ex-Official Northloop Brat Custodian

Forever in debt to the famous NL Brat relay Team.
    Kent to Aberdeen (the scenic route) - December 2016

Quote Originally Posted by findlay View Post
    Yes, yes! It's my favourite bit. It's ingenious and unbelievable.
    It seems anyone in the clique already knows.

I've shared bits and bobs with people. There's a Peugeot involved, hence Darren likes it.

Floyd-style click-bait headline:

You won't believe the ingenious and unbelievable way this off-grid home is heated!

Let me just upload some photos to go with this bit....

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    It’s like a Grand Designs episode, where’s Kevin?
    I'm here
    I'm arresting you for murdering my car you dyke digging tosspot

Before we get on to the heating, a little more about the caravan itself. We paid £1k for it and then £350 to get it delivered, as you can't just tow these pieces of sh*t around behind your car, apparently.

I'll be honest, fishing it out of its previous lodgings didn't look like much fun:

The new location was much more open:

We hoofed all the crap out of it and put in some carpet off-cuts etc to make it a bit more pleasant.

At this point, it had been levelled up and was supported all the way across, both ends, with a full-width I-beam, to ensure it didn't sink in the winter.

First time it rained heavily we had a nasty shock - turns out the roof had a big gash in it, so water running down the wall:

This was cleaned right up and had heavy-duty tank tape put over it and didn't leak again.

Now, anyone who's spent time in one of these awful devices will know that they have, as described by Danny 'all the thermal weight of a feather and the insulation value of an open door'.

Couldn't be more right.

I suggested to Mrs Hell, when we got it, that we should strip off the sides and insulate, she said no - too much work. I did spend a couple of 'happy' days underneath it, cutting down and shoving up Kingspan between the joists, which cut the heat loss a little, but things got quite tense at the start of October, when the temperature suddenly fell to 3 deg C overnight.

Naturally I was in a hotel, in Oxfordshire, for work that night, so I got a screaching phone call in the morning 'DO YOU KNOW HOW COLD IT IS?!'.

Wasn't really the time to pull out 'told you so', so I didn't.

Problem is, how do you heat a caravan with no electricity, especially when Calor Propane is so damned expensive?

You phone Danny and talk it through, that's what you do.

Then you get on Wightbay and look for a dirt cheap NA diesel car. Why NA? Because this thing is going to sit at idle for days and you don't want to fill up the turbine of a turbo with soot.

It wanted to be as simple as possible. A 1.4/1.5 Pug 106/Saxo would have been ideal: none available anywhere at the time.

So I had a look for a Peugeot 306 - bingo: L-plater, scruffy, but supposed to be running well, still had MOT, bloke wanted £300 for it.

I went and checked it over, lowballed him and we settled on £180 and I'd take it away right then. We shook on it and I pulled the A-frame out of the back of the van. I don't think he was expecting that.

Come 'ere, you:

I spent a couple of hundred quid on a roll of 15mm pipe, various joints, four radiators and a central heating pump, then gobbed it together as quickly as possible - manifolded pipes under the caravan.

How to get the heat out of the engine and into the heating system, though?

We thought an unpressurised system might work, so I grabbed a spare Disco heater matrix I had lying around, hacked off the Pug heater matrix, introduced some 19mm pipe and dropped the ends of the heating loop into a barrel with this:

It shat the power steering pump a few days in and the belt tensioner was screaming its head off, so I found a replacement belt that would run without the pump and we were glorious. Even though it had thrown the alternator belt off, it hadn't cooked itself, because the XUD runs the waterpump off the cambelt.

It was OK, but there was a lot of steam in the tub in the car (even with a bit of material draped over it) and not really that much heat in the radiators. We ran like that for a couple of weeks and decided to go pressurised, which would mean we needed an expansion vessel (£8 on Amazon) and a direct heat exchanger. I found one on Amazon for £40. It said it would do 22KW, which is a fair chunk of heat to take out of an idling Peugeot engine, so I ordered it.

I honestly had no idea what size it would be, or anything about it, but I didn't think this would work:

But hey, let's trust in technology and install it:

Just wow.

Within 10 minutes there was heat in the radiators and not long after that, the ~70 deg C in the motor was reflected in the temp on the radiators.

Oh and being pressurised, it bled up really easily.

A few weeks later, we added a plate-based heat exchanger into the exhaust, so things came up even faster and we got more energy out of the thing - that was a home-built job.

The green thing in the photo? That's a second inverter, hooked up to the battery on the Pug - after all, now it's a stationary engine, we need to give it jobs to do, to keep it busy.

I'll be honest, I view this as the best possible use for an NA diesel Peugeot.

Oh, you probably want to know how much fuel it uses. We run on cherryade, at 50p per litre and it uses £10 a week in the winter, way less as it warms up - in the summer it was mostly running to provide night electricity for the TV.
    Last edited by Diamond Hell; 19-09-2018 at 05:14 PM. Reason: making photos right

Regular
    That Sir is brilliant & 1 less Pug on the road so winning all round
    SteveM owes me £5
    I owe Dan £5
    Steve. Pay the man!

And I thought living in my garage for a year was daft.

You're a ****ing mentalist.

Quote Originally Posted by Peach-uk View Post
    And I thought living in my garage for a year was daft.

You're a ****ing mentalist.
    I did see your post recently about it being a year living in your 'garage' (let's be honest, to anyone living in central London, it's a generously sized apartment) and though 'meh, he's not even trying to rough it'.

Thomas Cowley you are forever in my heart a genius man.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Langeveld View Post
    Thomas Cowley you are forever in my heart a genius man.
    Have you not read the thread? Danny is the brains behind this operation.
    BMW E90 330i Sport / Kawasaki ZX6R.
    Custodian and seller of Northloop stickers.

Ingenious solution, how come you didn't do diesel air heating?
    -----------------------
    Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
    - Robert Heinlein

Regular
    Great thread Tom.
    If a man speaks his mind in a forest and no woman hears him...is he still wrong ?

Quote Originally Posted by jjturner View Post
    Ingenious solution, how come you didn't do diesel air heating?

Large caravan and burning diesel just to produce hot air?

Nah, wouldn't work nearly as well, plus I like things like a warm, dry towel, which a heated towel rail delivers. Also doing it this way we get a LOT of electricity at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsaunders View Post
    Have you not read the thread? Danny is the brains behind this operation.

True dat. He is a legend.

I did see your post recently about it being a year living in your 'garage' (let's be honest, to anyone living in central London, it's a generously sized apartment) and though 'meh, he's not even trying to rough it'.
    True dat.

It's the project that keeps on giving though. ****ing bills!!!!!!!!!!

#moneypit

Ps I totally feel you're pain about conservation hoops and ludicrous timing issues etc. We've got the same re bats and conservation area. Bloody expensive nightmare throughout

Well, there it is.

The greatest thing I shall ever read on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by dex View Post
    Well, there it is.

The greatest thing I shall ever read on the internet.
    Tru dat. You sir, are one bat shit crazy lunatic genius. Very good!
    Northloop.co.uk - at the forefront of political debate since Tuesday.

The internet must suck these days!

Let's talk about another couple of bits around this, shall we?

I work from home. I needed a home office. Some bus enthusiasts had stored their buses at my old man's place a few years ago, when they were demobbed from the local bus company.

Being the sort of rubbish that those of a certain perversion can pick up for a quid, or so, as a project, these people had done that.

Then after a couple of years of not doing anything with these projects, they had lost interest in paying the £50 a month to store these turds and simply stopped paying.

I pulled one of these pieces of sh*t out of where it had been left, by applying a battery to it, inflating the tyres and drove it down to the barn

Where we got out the angle grinder and cut the bolts holding the seats in it, tossed them out, bolted a bit of worktop down one side and voila! a home office!

Minor issue - daughter is learning piano and doesn't want to stop.

So add trailer and ratchet strap to hydraulic helper and in it goes

Turns out the vent at the back of it had only bloody rotted out. A temporary fix until the weather stopped pelting down on us:

What am I talking about - it wasn't just the vent that had rotted out, most of the driver's footwell had gone and the accelerator pedal was completely missing, so I pulled the accelerator cable out, took a holesaw to the dashboard and we had a hand throttle.

Yes, yes we did drive it up to the encampment like that, with a piano in the back of it.

I was actually a reasonable place from which to work - plenty of light and many conference calls were done wandering about outside in the field. Not half bad.

Speaking of pieces of sh*t, some of you might be thinking 'but what did you do about toilet facilities?'

Well Gary, one has to take this sort of thing very seriously. We spent the most of any single item on sorting this sh*tty issue out. £1250 on a 2250 litre sh*t tank.

Now obviously I'm not about to pay another £500 to get it delivered to the Isle of Wight, am I? Hell no, I'm in Banbury for work most weeks - it can be delivered to work.

On the hottest day of the year.

I quizzed the bloke about the size - would it fit end-on in an 8x4 trailer 'oh yeah, that should be fine'. He must have been p*ssing himself.

Thankfully, with the headboard removed it DID fit and it was surprisingly not death-trap-like for the 100 miles back to the IW.

So that's where the toilet waste went. I got it emptied once every 4 months-ish at a cost of £130 a go. Not terrible.

I'll be honest, I only ever gifted it with solids and it's taken a little while to get my mind back to p*ssing in a toilet, rather than just going outside when I need a p*ss. Nice thing is, it gives you time for star gazing, which given how dark the skies on the IW are was pretty damned fine.

Grey waste.... well many drainage systems have soak-aways and that was the solution we went for, into the hedge line and that seemed to work out just fine.

On matters bus, we needed somewhere to store much of our stuff, which didn't fit in a tiny caravan.

Another of the orphaned buses came to our aid - well it was a lot free-er than buying a shipping container

Yes, that's a 1977 quality item.

I went on school trips in that!

Starting it took a bit of effort, bloody thing's 24v. It only melted a terminal off one battery trying to start it, but then it went and it ran very happily, although the air took a long time to come up.

It actually has a Ford NA diesel straight six in it, which sounds lovely and it a common transplant into Fordson Majors, by classic tractor enthusiasts.

Obviously we drove it about a bit before cutting the seats out of it.

Regular
    The thread that keeps on giving. Brilliant
    SteveM owes me £5
    I owe Dan £5
    Steve. Pay the man!

Magnificent
    The Forces' Motorsport Charity
    www.missionmotorsport.org

Regular
    We lived in a static whilst waiting for our house to be built. I think it was the frozen over toilet bowl that is my overriding memory.
    Mark

Yeah, we had that last winter, it was more the heating system freezing *during the day* that was the real shocker!

This is brilliant.

That's why mankind invented houses.
    Ermmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Weeman View Post
    That's why mankind invented houses.
    True story.

Then they put people like you in them.

This is brilliant lol
    Daily - Lean FR 1.4 (150) 5F
    Project - Astra Mk3 with Saab B204 engine (sitting in the garage)
    Track - Suzuki Swift ZC32 Ex Rent 4 Ring

True story.

Then they put people like you in them.
    You're getting confused with Prison.
    Ermmmmm

Didn't realise you're spent time 'inside'.

Not surprising, but you know....

Regular
    Inspirational!
    Too many cars...

Hadn`t clicked on this thread before.

Glad I did

How far away from the caravan did you park the Peugeot ? A diesel engine sitting there idling for days at a time probably becomes background noise after a while, but even so, you`d want it a fair distance away I guess ?

As someone who has built a system with a woodburning stove to heat the water in my house UFH system, I tip my hat to you sir

We lived in a static for 10 months when my parents built their house. I still remember hammering 4ft scaffold posts into the ground with a sledge hammer one night whilst helping my dad to throw ropes over the static from one side to the other and tie it down in a particularly nasty autumn storm. It was like gullivers travels, but with a caravan

Never again.

I'd have moved into the Peugeot instead.

+ Reply to Thread