+ Reply to Thread

Thread: autohabit's Nürburgring trip June 2018

Hybrid View

autohabit's Nürburgring trip June 2018

Well, the first half of this year has been pretty miserable for me, I had a back operation and was unable to drive for two months. Thankfully the op was a success and I am getting back to full strength. Still under doctor's orders to avoid long distance driving, I had no choice but to fly out to Germany this year and take in an event.

The event we picked off was the Nürburgring Classic.

Kurt and myself flew into Cologne Bonn Airport on Thursday and drove the hire car to the Ring.

We had booked a lap with Dale Lomas in the Jaguar Ring Taxi. The car was a Jaguar XJR 575, a V8 Supercharged, long wheelbase, 2 Tonne performance luxury barge. As the name hints, it has 575bhp.

The Ring Taxi business is now a competitive game, although BMW officially withdrew their taxi service in 2016, there is no shortage of choice.

Choose your poison!

I took the back seat, absolute luxury back here!

Dale is now a full time Jaguar employee, also doing test work for them at the Ring.

Do you know the one by Talking Heads "And you may find yourself, behind the wheel of a large automobile"

I cannot recommend a ride in this car highly enough, it was awesome, we were doing over 160mph at Schwedenkreuz, this huge car just brakes and turns in like it's a GT car! Thanks for the ride Dale, was a pleasesure meeting you.

If you fancy booking a ride yourself, here is a link, very good value if split between 3 people.

https://www.bridgetogantry.com/racetaxi/

Last edited by autohabit; 23-06-2018 at 09:19 AM.

A quick look round the tourist car park, good to see the old BMWs still out there lapping

Ford Taunus GT

A GT3RSC (Royal Shakespeare Company?)

Martin was out helping a newbie learn the track (Hope it went ok Martin)

Time for a drink of the local brew

Friday, we headed off to see what the Nürburgring Classic had to offer.

Aston Martin

One of my Pre War favourites, an ERA

My usual "I like trucks" pics

Back to my overall favourites, the classic touring cars

I still have no answer as to why the entire grid in the Tourenwagen Classics display a Bradford City Football Club decal - Anybody?

Vink Motorsport in the Netherlands will build you a very nice replica Group A M3

Rover - DTM Championship winning car from 1986

A few famous names from the past

And one of those famous names was back behind the wheel

Gianfranco Brancatelli, up until last year he had not raced since 2000, but the New Zealand based owner of this car asked him if he would like to race it again

Now 68 years old, the 1985 European Touring Car Champion seems to have lost none of his flair for racing!

(Photo credit to Tourenwagen Classics - Was too good not to post).

Awesome write up and pictures as always. Thanks for sharing

To my eyes that Jag looks blooming horrible by the way
    I'm arresting you for murdering my car you dyke digging tosspot

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Kinghorn View Post
    Awesome write up and pictures as always. Thanks for sharing

To my eyes that Jag looks blooming horrible by the way
    I have to agree with you Gary, I am not a big fan of the current XJ's looks (Being a former owner of a classic XJ8 myself), the XF and XE are much nicer looking cars, but it's great that Jaguar are producing some decent performance cars again under their new Indian owners. It's a nice car from the inside, and that's all I saw on our lap!

More pics to follow.

+ Reply to Thread