+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Riding Gear (for TF and GP circuit)

Riding Gear (for TF and GP circuit)

I will be going over first week of July for my annual few laps, around sixteen of us going 50% of which are newbies.
    My question is as the title says are there any regulations on the type of riding gear required ie leathers, zip together leathers, full leathers or textiles, TF can be quite relaxed but the website shows the GP circuit open for TF on Tuesday 3rd and could be a good opportunity for scrubbing tyres and sliders, is the GP circuit policed differently than the Nordschleife.

Thanks in advance for any information, Brads.

PS. just been asked about pillion passengers
    Last edited by GIXXER BRADS; 21-06-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Regular
    Usual stuff. If it looks like bike stuff it gets on. Never known anyone eer check the state of riding kit - bar no trainers, and sometimes kevlar jeans attract the NIH interest.

Pillions no problem, just same kit as rider.

Advised to arrive very early. GPTF is undermanned, the entry electronics are woefully slow. Medical cover is minimal. Thus as soon as one person fluffs a corner... we get stuck with waiting ages for a truck...stationed nowhere near \the GP track, the doc is trundling to Adenau hospital, and there are 250 eager participants waiting out on the main road... it can turn into a total cluster**** more often than not. If you think you could do alternate sessions.... rofflecoptor, it never runs like that.

Watch for spills. And newbies who underestimate just how slow the first hairpin is. Aside form that, its top fun.
    "Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal". Henry Ford.

I'm the king of the swingers.
    The jungle vip
    I've reached the top
    And had to stop
    And thats whats bothering me woooah
    Shoop-bee-do dum de dum
    Hang on a mo. Who said anything about stoppping?

Thank you for your reply Andy, I look back fondly on my one and only session on the GP circuit chasing you, Dale and Roy back in 2015.
    I will pass this information on to the rest of the group, and should any decide to try the GP circuit there aren't any additional huddles.
    Thanks again, hope to see you in a couple of weeks. Brads.

Also,turning up VERY early for a few laps or the last hour or so on a late sunny evening can see the quietest laps with very little traffic if any! far safer.

Thanks Tommy, I agree, ill give them the information and let them decide.
    Over the years the demographic has changed, twenty years ago it was all head down arse up race reps, now we have everything from bobbers to supermotos. the thing I like most about newbies is that on the removal of their helmet you can tell instantly whether they are going to buy the "done that been there" sticker or run to the kiosk for some more laps .

Regular
    GPTF.

Don't get your hopes up...

Tuesday gone. Arrive early. Ready for first session, held in outer paddock. We usually trundle through to inner paddock where there is lots of space... got shouted at for trying this. N had changed system due to Truck GP set up. I think N like yelling at people, they certainly don't like helping, engaging or looking after customers...

There are lots of people. More than enough to split the sessions into 2 and 4 wheels alternating sessions if anyone was awake...

So there is a tangle up in session 2. We leave bike on its side where it comes to rest. The Mercedes stops on the inside of the track. No one is even slightly injured. So, next... bring on the stupid!

The bike is left on its side. It leaks fuel from the overflow for the 18 or so minutes that gravity see's fit. N plonk lots of sand down. Sand is chargeable! And use a car and cones to block the exit of the F1 chicane bit. No one picks the bike up until...

The Merc big thing stopped immediately. And is either left running, or overheats from having no cool down time. So it pops a coolant hose or something whilst stood stationary in the exit lane for the pits...except GPTF does not use this exit lane, it uses the parc ferme entrance. Track was completely dry for several minutes after the minor bump.

So we self inflict ourselves with two spills.

We than call the police from Adenau to come and look at the spill which didn't cause the problem. And then declare it too dangerous to ride or drive on the spills... and cancel the whole remainder of the sessions. By the time the police have finished their coffee and wandered up from Adenau with some forms... gone 19.30. And too dangerous to boot.

Cue approx 200 pissed off people. How the propaganda of german efficiency spread is a complete mystery to me... and the collective of german friends in the pits who also can't understand how something that ought to be easy is a totally frustrating joke everytime. (if this is read by anyone who thinks I am insulting their work...ask your own marshalls, everyone has noticed its time for a big rethink)

So Brad, be even earlier than early... you might get one session in. Don't buy lots of tickets, spread a bigger ticket out between your group if need be. (Queue together; the ticket reading machines are unbelievably clunky and slow) The credits are valid for Nordschliefe laps, so any excess gets used up there. The ticket office for GPTF... is nowhere near the GPTF entrance, you can't buy GP tickets in the GP pits, and there are no signs. The staff probably won't explain where the ticket office is either, it'll be implied your dim for not using telepathy or osmosis to know the tickets are bought at 1) the blue hut near the Nordschleife car park 2) the info centre desk near the underground car park... stupid boy!

You'll realise that if you do not have a ticket at the ready... by the time you have found, purchased and returned with a ticket... the entire evening's sessions have, statistically, more often than not, been given up upon due to woeful planning. You'll not be getting a refund.

Good luck. You'll need it. Which is a shame as GPTF is both fun, far easier to exploit machine capabilities, allows the venue to be inclusive to a far wider skill range.... obv's the solution here is to increase the price to a point where no one can participate, then the lack of systems, planning and experience can then cope just fine. There might be knock on consequences for peripheral business' in the region... but **** them.

Breathe :-)
    "Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal". Henry Ford.

The jungle vip
    I've reached the top
    And had to stop
    Shoop-bee-do dum de dum

Regular
    Pillions. Your not allowed to stop and let a passenger off, or change a driver in a car. So unless you ditch them physically :-) or break the rules and the pillion hops over a barrier somewhere... not recommended, this will cause apoplectic rage and system meltdown, your stuck with the pillion for the whole session.

Now this is fine in theory. If you choose to ride with a passenger both rider and passenger ought to know what they are letting themselves in for...

... there is one small hiccup here. There is no way to tell where the exit is until the timed end of the session. The normal exit is blocked, and not signed as such due to being blocked. A man with a red flag will normally leap out of the side ensuring there is no cool down lap and we all suffer an increased vehicle overheating problem... maybe if we used a chequered flag from one lap to go.... no; too sensible.

Inthe interests of constructive help.

Exits if there was a problem. Just after the main hairpin there is a gate to the right. Its pretty tight, and track speed into the hairpin will make this a tricky place to get to.

The 'normal' GPTF exit is the parc ferme lane just after the F1 chicane. Its not signed as an exit. Its just after the start of the exit lane for the blocked off main track pit exit.

There are internal lanes around the GP track on the inside of the track - the marshall refuges lead onto these access lanes, so you could exit the track and find shelter by this route in the event of a problem.

NB... and this is another thing that will be read out in coroners court eventually. N don't actually say which track layout GPTF is held on prior to you setting off. In fact the marshalls seem wholly confused that we would even want to know. Even the pitlane marhall didn't know on Tuesday!!!! Make sure your speed is set to allow for full GP or Sprintstrecke variant chaos just after the Merc arena. If you don't know what this means, do not be first man out.

If its full GP layout, Sprintstrecke layout cut through can be used in the event of problems. Be careful rejoining into fast section. GP ought not to be used if problems on Sprintstrecke - you might find gumby-experience-day being run by the academy ( on what is called the Mullenbachschleife (a makeshift loop, using what is below the bridges over the 258 and a link road thrown in to make it a circuit)).

The jungle vip
    I've reached the top
    And had to stop
    Shoop-bee-do dum de dum

^^ Wow!
    Interesting read there Andy!
    Severe idiocy from several parties on several levels...
    What the hell are the N'Ring Management and Organisers doing (and thinking)..?!
    Perplexing and disappointing!

E.T.A. - Are you and your lot ok after the spills??
    Last edited by Rory; 28-06-2018 at 05:38 PM.

Interesting reading indeed Andy.
    One of my many failings is that I don't cope well with incompetency, I can't guess what my reaction would be if confronted with this on a regular basis, I have never understood how a business with a turnover of the Nürburgring can be run in such a unprofessional manner, but its been like this for many years in one guise or another and won't change any time soon.
    So my best plan of attack is to turn up early, serenely calm with ticket in hand, exuding copious amounts of positive energy, and just hope for the best .

Thank gawd the only time I rode on the GP track was when they opened it to marshals exclusively for an hour or two one evening back in 2006? (can't remember exactly...) and they all went bat shit quick and were knackered after 20 minute, so took a breather in the pits for ... 20 minutes ....

Not me - I went out, rode at 90% and stayed out 'till they put the red lights on at the end of the session It was a GREAT evening
    Chris
    The older you get, the faster you used to be.....

^ That sounds like a great evening of fun Chris.

Btw (and apologies if this is a stupid question..), are you doing any 'Ring Marshalling these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    Btw (and apologies if this is a stupid question..), are you doing any 'Ring Marshalling these days?
    It was indeed a fun evening for me, Rory

We stopped riding the 'ring sometime in the summer of 2011 because, being regulars over the years, we noticed that the crash rate had markedly increased and that the car drivers were getting less considerate of others In any case, Gesa had by then done 500 laps as a marshal, riding on the back of my bike, without coming off. We had a chat and decided that it was only a matter of time . . . . so threw it in there and then
    Chris

^ Interesting insight!
    I reckon you made the correct decision then Chris.

Keep smiling, best wishes to you & Gesa.

Thanks, Rory, and best wishes to you too with your rallying shenanigans
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread