+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flickr moving to smugmug

Flickr moving to smugmug

Had an email today saying Flickr has been bought out by smugmug. I have no idea who they are, or what the long term changes will be. If it's anything like the normal things that happen, prices will increase.

We shall see
    I'm arresting you for murdering my car you dyke digging tosspot

Hmm, lets hope they still allow hosting photos for linking!

Quote Originally Posted by Email from Flickr
    We’re excited to announce that Flickr has agreed to be acquired by SmugMug, the photography platform dedicated to visual storytellers.

SmugMug has a long history of empowering people who love photography and who want to improve their craft, making them a perfect fit for Flickr and our creative community. With SmugMug, we’ll continue to focus on you, the Flickr members who inspire us all with your work.

Nothing will change immediately with regard to your Flickr account. You will still access Flickr with your current login credentials and you will have the same Flickr experience as you do now. We will continue to work to make your Flickr experience even better.

We think you are going to love Flickr under SmugMug ownership, but you can choose to not have your Flickr account and data transferred to SmugMug until May 25, 2018. If you want to keep your Flickr account and data from being transferred, you must go to your Flickr account to download the photos and videos you want to keep, then delete your account from your Account Settings by May 25, 2018.

If you do not delete your account by May 25, 2018, your Flickr account and data will transfer to SmugMug and will be governed by SmugMug’s Terms and Privacy Policy.

Read more detailed FAQs about this transition on the Flickr Blog.

We’re happy that Flickr is your home for photography and we look forward to the next chapter in our adventure together as we join the SmugMug family.
    Thanks,
    The Flickr Team

What a bloody awful name for a company.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Benz
    Nige would be turning in his shed
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige
    Have you seen my bottom nuts?

I got the same email 7 times yesterday. This is not a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by N/B View Post
    What a bloody awful name for a company.
    The parent company is called Fantastic Fox Inc., which is clearly stolen from Roald Dahl. I hope they respected his copyright...

It looks like it will shift to a subscription service, although they've been coy about exactly what form it will take, only informing us that we can choose to delete our accounts.

https://www.smugmug.com/plans
    "Fortunately, I'd taken a spare Gearbox, Turbo, Actuator, Banjo Connector, Steering Rack, Driveshafts, ECU, Wideband sensor, 57-51mm silicone reducing elbow and a Copper Banjo Washer." - Nige

Bugger.

The time and effort it takes to upload, name and file all my photo's and then they change the owners. I may just go back to a hard drive system, which is also a ball ache.
    BMW 3.0 Z4 Roadster. Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI T2. Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000.

There are thousands if not millions of people using Flickr, surely your existing photos will be safe, even if you have to pay a small subscription.

That's what I'm hoping anyhoo.

Quote Originally Posted by GVK View Post
    There are thousands if not millions of people using Flickr, surely your existing photos will be safe, even if you have to pay a small subscription.
    Yeah, just like photobucket did!

They can charge whatever they want. Photo bucket did.

I don't think I will pay very much before I remove my photo's and host elsewhere.
    BMW 3.0 Z4 Roadster. Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI T2. Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
    Bugger.

The time and effort it takes to upload, name and file all my photo's and then they change the owners. I may just go back to a hard drive system, which is also a ball ache.
    ^ This!

They all seem to now be going the same route.
    All my photos online are hosted by Photobucket,
    yet they still seem to be unaffected by the recent changes... Despite that, I reckon it's only a matter of time... so I think I'm going to delete everything I have hosted there and cancel my account.

I just couldn't be arsed uploading all those photos with another host,
    so I guess I'm done posting photos on here or elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by autohabit View Post
    Yeah, just like photobucket did!
    True.

I've had a paid subscription on Flickr for a good few years and hope to continue with it. It's where I store a number of my better images. Fingers crossed changes won't be too extensive.

Lightroom I used to buy the software, now you rent a subscription monthly. If this goes the same way I will continue if it is reasonably priced, as it's a great resource.

Time will tell I guess.
    I'm arresting you for murdering my car you dyke digging tosspot

Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post

I just couldn't be arsed uploading all those photos with another host,
    so I guess I'm done posting photos on here or elsewhere.
    Liking your positivity

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Kinghorn View Post
    I've had a paid subscription on Flickr for a good few years and hope to continue with it. It's where I store a number of my better images. Fingers crossed changes won't be too extensive.
    Same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Benz
    Nige would be turning in his shed
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige
    Have you seen my bottom nuts?

I store whatever junk falls out of my camera on Flickr, so it's only reasonably that I provide some payment in partial restitution.
    "Fortunately, I'd taken a spare Gearbox, Turbo, Actuator, Banjo Connector, Steering Rack, Driveshafts, ECU, Wideband sensor, 57-51mm silicone reducing elbow and a Copper Banjo Washer." - Nige

I've also paid for my account there for a number of years.

Hopefully that there are many people paying a smaller amount than the many people paying nothing on Photobucket means that there won't be quite the same smashing in of massive charges on Flickr.

Let's hope, eh?
    It's literally a Diamond shaped Hell at times
    Woodland camping with Forest Schools on the Isle of Wight: campwight.co.uk

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    Liking your positivity
    I'm the same. I've given up posting photos to NL because it's too much of a faff.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    Liking your positivity
    Fair point Nige!

Surprisingly, my photos posted on here are as yet unaffected...
    But if/when Photobucket gets around to blocking the posting of them, as they have done with others, I'll wipe the lot and cut & run. My position remains the same as that which I stated above.

I'm not being a tight-arse, but I refuse (on principle) to pay for a service which was expressly presented to me as Free and claimed it would remain so. Plus, I don't use it much anyway, so signing up to a financial subscription isn't warranted or needed in my eyes.

I still have a free FlickR account and recently it asked me to change my login instead of using the usual Yahoo! log in whatsit

New phone ,tried to log in with usual email address but it won't have it. Tried logging out on desktop/lap top now can't log in on there either.

Anyone else had issues or is it me being a spaz?

Ignore me ,got it working on phone

That's a Yahoo issue, I think it is stopping altogether soon.

Flickr stopping or the Yahoo log in stopping?

Yahoo stopping and transferring over to BT

Hadn't heard that one dude!

Quote Originally Posted by Sim View Post
    Yahoo stopping and transferring over to BT
    Not quite Yahoo sold off Flickr to Smugmug as per this thread, this then bought about the change of login IDs to Flickr.

Yahoo used to provide the email function to BT internet users and that enabled them to have a Flickr account, BT have been moving away from Yahoo mail.

Yahoo was bought by Verizon a couple of years ago.

I use shitey BT mail and sometimes it decides to switch to yahoo.

I had a couple of pop ups saying it was stopping the service but can't find anything now, so quite probably talking crap

I'm astonished people still use BT/Yahoo Mail. You'll say next you're downloading the emails on to your PC....
    It's literally a Diamond shaped Hell at times
    Woodland camping with Forest Schools on the Isle of Wight: campwight.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Hell View Post
    I'm astonished people still use BT/Yahoo Mail. You'll say next you're downloading the emails on to your PC....
    To be fair for personal use I still use my BT email account it does what I need from it.

+ Reply to Thread