+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The US hire car thread.

Regular
    Cool Jeep, I like those things. We had this one when driving around that area, collected from Atlanta airport and we returned it in Memphis. Ours had Maryland plates on.

It was about the size of yours I think, and was quite dinky compared to some proper 'full sized' ones... this was us parked in Nashville

Too many cars...

Found myself back in the US. Was a bit underwhelmed by the choice when I got there, so took the Ford Escape (Kuga). I think it was 1.5 turbo - 170ish bhp.

It went from adequate to quite good in my opinion, all thanks to one road...

I had a bit of time to kill before flying out, so decided to go through the big hills (mountains is a bit strong) up the eastern side of the Bay Area and found a brilliant road.

As I turned onto it, it narrowed to the point where two UK cars would think twice about passing at speed, but it was quite well sighted and was just hairpin after hairpin.

Manual mode on the Escape was the most annoying. A little rocker switch (like a light switch) on the side of the lever itself. Useless. Sport mode will have to do.

Well, the hire car got driven like a hire car. Tip in on the brakes, feel the back end move, hard on the gas and fling out with all four wheels working hard. I left a bit more in reserve on the side with a sharp drop...

Repeat. Many times. Laugh lots.

The gearbox then started doing odd things, and manual mode didnít help much either. Oops.

Stopped to have a little look and to let it cool down...

No hardship really. The car was pinging and popping like a good one!

After 10 mins, continued to rag it until the road got less twisty...

Figure that the Kuga was about as much fun as a car of its type could be on a road like that. A small hit hatch would have been phenomenal.
    BMW E90 330i Sport / Kawasaki ZX6R.
    Custodian and seller of Northloop stickers.

Regular
    Looks fun!
    Too many cars...

Please keep updating this thread. Always makes for a great read

I was out in the US a couple of weeks again, on the outskirts of Detroit - Plymouth.

Had this beautiful! Steering system had some issue as it was vague and clunky!

Colleague had this and took us out and about in the evening.

A view of works car park.

VW Golf MK2 16v build here
    Audi A3 3.2L Scirocco MK2 GT2
    Skoda Kodiaq Sportline 4x4 190

Next US trip booked.

No wimping out this time. If the F150 is an option, Iím taking it.

Unless muscle car, of course.

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by simonsaunders View Post
    Next US trip booked.

No wimping out this time. If the F150 is an option, Iím taking it.

Unless muscle car, of course.
    Where are you heading, Simon?
    Too many cars...

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    Where are you heading, Simon?
    Just more work, mate. Raleigh, in North Carolina. 3 nights. It is my favourite part of the States so far, the only place that Iíd actually want to live over there. 2nd time there this year... Last visit was Feb and the weather was fierce. Should be hot and humid this trip...

The motor wonít get much use, but in that part of the world, walking is unheard of, Ubers are tiresome and our work rental car rates are so cheap / never challenged, may as well get one. The ever popular National Emerald Isle... hire a mid-size Hyundai, take whatever you fancy from the long line. If Iím chirpy enough, Iíll grab some snaps of what is on offer...

Regular
    Cool - I just looked up how far itíd be to drive to Asheville as thatís my favourite place in NC (itís a bit like Portland, Oregon - lots of craft breweries, music, good scenery and very liberal). 250 miles west so a bit of a detour!

Enjoy and do take pics of the hire car if possible
    Too many cars...

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    Cool - I just looked up how far itíd be to drive to Asheville as thatís my favourite place in NC (itís a bit like Portland, Oregon - lots of craft breweries, music, good scenery and very liberal). 250 miles west so a bit of a detour!

Enjoy and do take pics of the hire car if possible
    Research Triangle Park - RTP - is where our second largest US office is (the other is San Jose / Silicon Valley). In quite a dense - by NC standards - area there a few universities and loads of tech, bio and fin firms and it too is really liberal, young, vibrant. Not at all some Republican, Trump supporting, banjo playing hick town, which is what I expected of NC. The people are nice, the weather is interesting (15įC swings in a matter of days, but always temperate), itís really lush and green and not that far from much of the East Coast.

Iím not sure if I would recommend it to a tourist as a place to visit, but as a place to live and work... it is right up my street. Much better than San Jose, which is also turning into a bit of a home-from-home.

Absolute sea of beige on this trip.

This was the car at the end of the line.

It had CarPlay.

It was no better or worse than anything else on offer.

It was beige.

I was sad.

And don’t get me started on Delta... I should have been collecting in the dark, not the light. Wankers.

I currently have a Dodge caravan. It is shit but it has seven seats. This is making my friends Kia which is even more shit than mine redundant. It is however saving us 25 dollars a day on theme park car parking.
    I'm arresting you for murdering my car you dyke digging tosspot

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Kinghorn View Post
    I currently have a Dodge caravan. It is shit but it has seven seats. This is making my friends Kia which is even more shit than mine redundant. It is however saving us 25 dollars a day on theme park car parking.
    Iíll need 7 seats on my next trip. I think Iíll just book the biggest SUV that i can and avoid the Caravan...

Need a big car for the next trip... just trying to get a 7/8 seater monster SUV. That will be fun!

Regular
    Simon, you'll be needing a big car for 7 or 8 on your next trip apparently....don't let us down...get something stratospherically shite
    If a man speaks his mind in a forest and no woman hears him...is he still wrong ?

+ Reply to Thread