+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cars you're curious about.... but not curious enough to buy

Cars you're curious about.... but not curious enough to buy

Car

Why you like them.

Why you won't have one.

Volvo XC70.

I do like the look of them, especially post 2009, but just like their forebearers when you sit in them you wonder where all the room ISN'T.

That's a lot of car, without a lot of interior space, although, is it all boot? I don't know, but it feels like it should be less claustrophobic in there.

Oh and they're Haldex, so that's a nope.

BMW 3-series

People rave about them.

Some of the people who rave about them

The E36 on gravel was enough to basically get that out of my system, I think, without running one on the road.
    Diamond Hell
    Holiday cottages: coastandcountry.eu
    Woodland camping with Forest Schools: campwight.co.uk

Caterham 7 - Love the idea of driving one, but somehow wouldn't want to own one.

Mazda RX7 - Look good, sound good, but a bit of a time bomb.
    "I'm told there are 172 corners. I didn't stop to count them" - Mike Hawthorn

Same thought for me about the range rover sport Thomas. Big truck, but with little space.
    I'm arresting you for murdering my car you dyke digging tosspot

So many to choose from...

Alfa's - just know it will cost time and money just to run it.

Mercedes V8 - I'd love the sound and performance, but hate the cost that goes with it.
    BMW 123D M Sport. Blacked out windows, leaning baaack...

The good thing I found having had an Alfa 166 was that it was so cheap to buy I didn't mind dropping a few hundred into it over the period of a year.

One of my ex-colleagues had a RR Sport. Nice place to be, but I agree on the lack of space. Not claustrophobic like the V70 though.
    Diamond Hell

VW Phaeton.
    Back in clutter

Colleague does 20k p/a commuting in a V10 Phaeton - seems pretty bomb proof.
    Takes a lot of skill to look this bad you know...

RR Evoque.

Kind of like how they look in some colours / specs.

But reek of cheshire and feel like there would be an astronomical bill just waiting around the corner.
    Simon no longer owes me anything, Dave does though.
    Floyd probably owes me at least twenty with the interest rolling up...

Regular
    RS Megane. Great cars to have on the ring. Just can't quite bring myself to own one.
    Mark

Front-engined Porsches (928, 944...)

Would love to have one, but I just know that anything affordable of that age will need a tonne of expensive work to be anything other than an old shitbox.
    If the whole world was filled with just animals and David Attenborough, it would be a beautiful place. Unfortunately, it's been overrun by 7.6-billion assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Front-engined Porsches (928, 944...)

Would love to have one, but I just know that anything affordable of that age will need a tonne of expensive work to be anything other than an old shitbox.
    There was an early 80s era where the galvanising was really good. Before that they had none, after that it was crap. However, there is a fair chance of finding a decent shell. The rest of it will be tired, mind.

For me, it has long been M3s and Porsches.

Probably for 10-15 years, I’ve been in a position to buy a Porsche, but the air cooled stuff always looked too old for a daily and I was scared off by more than a decade of shit water cooled engines in Carreras. The DFI looks decent, prices are dropping, so I’ll probably jump onboard at some stage.

M3s, similar to the above... Vanos blah, bearings blah, rod bolts blah, cracking subframes blah. I’m sure they’ll manage to build one that just works one day. Oh, and with brakes that are up to the job.

I’ve scratched other itches. Glad I did the Caterham. Glad I did the ‘new era’ FWD mega hatch thing.

Money is one thing, but I also can’t abide cars with major, common weaknesses.

I loved my 944.

There are LOADS of cars I’d like. Loads.

Just imagine reminiscing in 10-20 years time.

"I wish I'd bought X,Y,Z"

Or

"I remember when I bought X,Y,Z"

Never owned a proper barge.
    Dunlop Direzzas. Officially better than aero.

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim View Post

Or

Won't yours simply be
    "I bought A, B, thru to Z. "
    If a man speaks his mind in a forest and no woman hears him...is he still wrong ?

Or

I guess it depends on how good J, K, L were! It is not like most people on here want a 911, can afford a 911 and buy a Focus 1.6 instead. People just buy something else that they fancy or find a compromise that affords them a cracking motor that fits their lifestyle.

I'd like to be able to work through all of the cylinder counts.

4, 5, 6, 8 now done. (not taking into configurations)

2, 3, 10 and 12 achievable easily enough.

Struggling with 1, and 16 upwards.
    Get involved!
    Destination-Nurburgring
    Nürburgring Track Days for those in the know....

Northern end of the North Yorkshire Coast
    My biggest issue is working out what I think I want, vs what I need vs researching for weeks/months on the internet, finding some issues with a typical model and/or changing my want resulting in a perpetual cycle of inaction. Combined with being bad at selling vehicles my real downfall is a stagnant state of affairs. I'm still trying to work out what to do with the current fleet

All I know is that I'm finding the old van a little tiresome at times, yet I seem to be always driving it. Perhaps time to spend some money on the Mazda before reconsidering Legacy 3.0R Spec Bs, Volvo D5 estates, Merc CLKs in petrol/diesel/hard/soft top and AMG varieties. Oh, plus 350Z, BMWZ4c, e320 cdi estates and soft top Series Landies or an early 110 with 200TDi transplant, may be a BMW650i, can't decide between hard and softtop in that either. As you can see I'm crystal clear in where I'm going...
    Bikes are Best on the 'Ring. I no longer own one

VW T4 2.5 TDI/Mazda J2-Ltd/Ferguson TEF20/Disco 2 TD5
    1x 4m RIB with 50hp 2stroke outboard, 3x SOT fishing Kayaks, 4 x surf boards

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Langeveld View Post

1 = https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/produ...on/wr250f.aspx
    Volvo V60 D5 R Design
    Nick Oak road tested Mk 2 ABF Golf Gti 16v

Veyron. It's the logical choice.

Jaguar XJS
    Maserati BiTurbo
    Mazda RX7 (last gen)
    Lotus Esprit Turbo
    Lancia Thema 8.32

Generally most things where the potential for bork is greater than the initial entry cost.
    If the whole world was filled with just animals and David Attenborough, it would be a beautiful place. Unfortunately, it's been overrun by 7.6-billion assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by stevem View Post
    Veyron. It's the logical choice.
    I was thinking more this;
    Get involved!
    Destination-Nurburgring

Jaguar XJS
    Maserati BiTurbo
    Mazda RX7 (last gen)
    Lotus Esprit Turbo
    Lancia Thema 8.32

Generally most things where the potential for bork is greater than the initial entry cost.
    Shit!
    I forgot about wankels!
    Get involved!
    Destination-Nurburgring

There are some tractors available with an i7 engine

Land Rover Defender.

What's not to like? Quintessential British off-roader. Land Rover's genesis. I like how it looks, I always have. I admire what it can do. It's a cool car that can double as a proper workhorse.

I don't think I could live with its on-road dynamics. I don't think I could live with the performance or turning circle. I don't think I can live with the cabin and the proximity of wheel:door. They're thief bait.

I remember many year ago being on a caravan holiday and a SIII 109 station wagon pulled in hauling a caravan onto the site. I told dad how I thought it looked really cool and I'd like to have one, he very quickly replied that it would be a difficult car to live with. I've revisited this again recently. I looked at 110 SWs with paneled rears instead of the Transit custom I ordered. We looked at a couple when we were shopping for a Disco. Gemma would have one but I think, sadly, the practicalities of living with such a cool, if compromised, car would taint the experience. Parking in the school car park, for example, would be nightmarish.
    @ThrottleSteerer - Ex-Official Northloop Brat Custodian

Forever in debt to the famous NL Brat relay Team.
    Kent to Aberdeen (the scenic route) - December 2016

I really want a f80 M3 as a daily driver but refuse to buy one as I reckon I’d just be disappointed by the refinement and end up spending loads modifying it into a racecar...

I really want a new shape full fat Range Rover but again refuse to buy one as the interior quality leaves a lot to be desired, and do I really need it?? No.....

I am very curious about some of the modern American muscle....
    SILVIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHHH S14!!!!!!

I was thinking more this;
    Sr Zampolli will apparently still build you a Cizeta V16T if you ask nicely. I'm considering it...
    "Fortunately, I'd taken a spare Gearbox, Turbo, Actuator, Banjo Connector, Steering Rack, Driveshafts, ECU, Wideband sensor, 57-51mm silicone reducing elbow and a Copper Banjo Washer." - Nige

Or

This.

If i have the money, i buy something i want. Better that than some boring shit box that pisses you off, but is cheap to run.
    Back in clutter

C63 AMG, V8 M3 or Ideally an F10 M5. One of those that I could afford to buy a half decent one, but I couldn't afford to run it, or look after it. And if something went wrong.... Boom.

Would love to have one for a year or so, but don't think I'd have the bottle to do it. And if I did I'd probably spend most of my time cleaning it and looking at it on my drive..... Sad I know
    I'm arresting you for murdering my car you dyke digging tosspot

Regular
    For me, generally anything under about 15 years old or with more than one ECU

Specifically:
    1. Volvo XC90 V8 (I want one, but have no need and too electrically complicated / unreliable compared to 'proper' old Volvos)
    2. Audi AllRoad V8 (air suspension bork puts me off)
    3. Land Rover Defender (I have no need for one, can't be arsed with lack of comfort or fact people seem to want to nick them)
    4. Weird Renaults - Avantime, C6 etc. (Bork potential puts me off)
    5. Saabs - any pre GM model really, no specific reason though these are on the cusp, I'll probably buy one at some point as I do like them
    6. VW T5 - also on the cusp, I'd probably 'upgrade' my T4 if I saw the right one, maybe. Again, complexity for DIY mechanic puts me off
    7. Porsche 944 - if I had the space to park it I'd probably buy it, though it wouldn't get used really so no point

Maybe I just need a fleet clearout and buy some new stuff
    Last edited by Stu; 15-03-2018 at 10:30 AM.
    Too many cars...

Quote Originally Posted by findlay View Post
    Land Rover Defender.

What's not to like? Quintessential British off-roader. Land Rover's genesis. I like how it looks, I always have. I admire what it can do. It's a cool car that can double as a proper workhorse.

I don't think I could live with its on-road dynamics. I don't think I could live with the performance or turning circle. I don't think I can live with the cabin and the proximity of wheel:door. They're thief bait.

I remember many year ago being on a caravan holiday and a SIII 109 station wagon pulled in hauling a caravan onto the site. I told dad how I thought it looked really cool and I'd like to have one, he very quickly replied that it would be a difficult car to live with. I've revisited this again recently. I looked at 110 SWs with paneled rears instead of the Transit custom I ordered. We looked at a couple when we were shopping for a Disco. Gemma would have one but I think, sadly, the practicalities of living with such a cool, if compromised, car would taint the experience. Parking in the school car park, for example, would be nightmarish.
    I buy a Land Rover magazine about twice a year and generally torment myself. There is also a 4x4 pay and play site a couple of miles down the road and the traffic for that always looks interesting.

I was reading about a couple of conversions which entailed a Discovery 2 body being plopped on to a Discovery 1 chassis. The 300TDI being probably the most robust LR lump of the era, the D1 chassis being considered fairly rust resistant (unlike its body...), whereas the D2 body actually lasts but the chassis rots out from under it. Apparently a handful of bolts and a couple of custom plates. That would do me to plod about in, get muddy in and not leave piles of brown flaky rust on the driveway. Pure fantasy though.

There's a 110 defender round the corner from me in util grey with the UJ roof decal.

Looks ace. Never gets dirty, or used though. Probably as it's horrible to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsaunders View Post
    That would do me to plod about in, get muddy in and not leave piles of brown flaky rust on the driveway. Pure fantasy though.
    You need to get a dedicated non-road-legal modified trialer and go do tea-and-a-bun-price motorsport - trialing with SCOR, or CORSE who will hold events not too far away from you.

Shame I ran out of time when you were down here - you could have had a demo.
    Diamond Hell

If I'd have known everyone was so obsessed about Defenders i'd have advertised this here

To all the people bottling buying one, don't.

The prices are only going one way at the moment.

Buy the right one at the right price, make sure it is properly insured in case of theft.

Have fun in it, get it out of your system and then sell it.

You should cover your costs and might turn a little profit.

Or, in X years time think back to when you could have had one and say to yourself "if only......"

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Hell View Post
    You need to get a dedicated non-road-legal modified trialer and go do tea-and-a-bun-price motorsport - trialing with SCOR, or CORSE who will hold events not too far away from you.

Shame I ran out of time when you were down here - you could have had a demo.
    Aye. They do look a lot of fun!

If I'd have known everyone was so obsessed about Defenders i'd have advertised this here

To all the people bottling buying one, don't.

The prices are only going one way at the moment.

Buy the right one at the right price, make sure it is properly insured in case of theft.

Have fun in it, get it out of your system and then sell it.

You should cover your costs and might turn a little profit.

Or, in X years time think back to when you could have had one and say to yourself "if only......"
    I like both vehicles in that photo.

That'll be a straight n/a derv in the 110 though?

Regular
    L322 Range Rover 5.0 SC FF
    Series 1,2 or 3 Landie
    XFR Wagon (in French Racing Blue)

Two themes: JLR and that 5.0v8 mated to a ZF8 :D.
    About.me - Twitter: @iOlly - Laps: 56

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    For me, generally anything under about 15 years old or with more than one ECU

4. Weird Renaults - Avantime, C6 etc. (Bork potential puts me off)
    Oh yes, weird French clutter, especially Citroens and older Renaults.

Also, I kind of want a DeLorean, even though I think it may be a massive smelly turd.

Regular
    Oh yes, weird French clutter, especially Citroens and older Renaults.

Also, I kind of want a DeLorean, even though I think it may be a massive smelly turd.
    Same here on the DeLorean, and just realised I meant 'weird French stuff' to include Renaults and Citroens.

I should have also added on my list:
    8. BMW 1 series hatch with decent petrol engine. Look at them every so often, but still can't be arsed buying one as I can't see what it'll do that my Volvo doesn't aside from look newer / be less comfortable / more expensive to fix / more likely to get nicked.
    Too many cars...

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    Same here on the DeLorean, and just realised I meant 'weird French stuff' to include Renaults and Citroens.

I should have also added on my list:
    8. BMW 1 series hatch with decent petrol engine. Look at them every so often, but still can't be arsed buying one as I can't see what it'll do that my Volvo doesn't aside from look newer / be less comfortable / more expensive to fix / more likely to get nicked.
    Our 130i was properly nice. Stace looked after it for a while too. Then Alistair bought it.

I can add to mine, something I've looked at time and time again and never bought...

190E Mercedes. Not an evo or anything, just a cooking one.

Why do I want one? Timeless thing again. Properly built Merc. Always seemed indestructable. Certainly better at not rotting compared to an equivalent 3-series. There's still a good few of them about and many of them still look box-fresh. I loved the look of Mr. Bridge's one.

Why not? We'll they're almost all small capcity 4pots and most are autos. Performance (I know it's not meant to be important) will be relaxed. The 6 cylinder cars, while more sporty, are meant to be pigs of things to drive (and there's a big thing about the conversion to RHD that I'm sure Neil can explain).

They're being imported from Japan now. Just look at how lovely this looks:
    https://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...tional/7439780

Also falling into the same boat is W123 Mercs. I think they look lovely but...
    https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C949138

I’d like Sim to pay for the car he ‘bought’ from me.
    The Forces' Motorsport Charity
    www.missionmotorsport.org

Jaguar XJ40/ Supercharged XJ

Why? Old money charm.

Why not? 80/90s era jag electronics.

Liz's old man had a H plate XJ40 Sport from new, manual to boot.

It'd only run with 1/2 tanks or more, because the pumps would overheat and stop (iirc). The air suspension shit its pants, the electrics were gremlined to buggery and he finally gave up and weighed it in at around 200k (having been all over Europe) @ 20 years old when it refused to start one morning.
    Last edited by Mike Roberts; 16-03-2018 at 09:28 PM.

Lancia Beta Montecarlo

S1 Lotus Esprit

New Bullitt Mustang

Citroën DS - lovely things, but ownership's probably a life lived on the internet scouring the world for a dwindling supply of spares.
    Mercedes-Benz C126 - My chest has some hair on it, but it's not quite hairy enough. I'd love to borrow one, but suspect I'd look like I'm valet-parking it.
    Any modern Aston/Bentley - Again, a long weekend in any of them would be a blast but the image is just awful. Cars for the modern career sociopath.
    Last edited by N/B; 17-03-2018 at 12:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Benz
    Nige would be turning in his shed
    Quote Originally Posted by Weeman
    I know **** all about slicks, apart from that they are cheating like turbos.

70's/80's Rolls/Bentley Shadow/Spirit/Turbo R.

I'm just not brave enough.

Oh my list could go on and on, and on...
    but here's a few that spring to mind -

Series 3 Landie SWB -
    I think they're full of character and heritage, but I know they're a frustrating pig to drive...
    I still will own one at some point!

Range Rover 'Classic' 4.2 V8 -
    Also full of character, but I couldn't justify the fuel bill for so little grunt.

Saab 9000 Anniversary 2.3t -
    I have driven many of them. They are damn fast, but I know the ferocious torque-steer would end up p!ssing me right off. Though I do have an unashamed penchant for Swedish cars, so who knows down the line...

Mercedes 500SL (either R107 or R129) -
    I have also driven many of these, and love their look and build-quality... but I know that maintenance costs would probably empty my pockets.

Porsche 911 (964) Turbo -
    Love them, absolutely love them, but again it's down to maintenance and running costs...

The list goes on...

+ Reply to Thread