+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Nurburg Motorsport.

  1. #1

    Nurburg Motorsport.

    Say what you want about Ken (and I'll probably say the same... )
    but Manfred Scheer is an utter gentleman, and a gifted mechanic!!

    Last week, a mysterious box arrived from Germany; filled with all kinds of Nurburgring stuff -
    baseball hats, T-shirts, Polo-shirts, Rugby-tops, model cars, calendars, stickers...

    It was sent out-of-the-blue by Manfred: such a kind and thoughtful gesture!

    I've witnessed the man's work, and couldn't recommend him highly enough!!

    * not sure what name he's operating under now since the dissolution of Nurburg Motorsport - it could be Auteg?!

  2. #2
    Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    12,838
    * this is not a paid endorsement (but he did send me a box full of swag, so there's that)
    Starlet GT - Build Thread

  3. #3
    ^

    A fair assumption Tim.

    I have no vested interest here!
    I just wanted to sing the man's praises, as his reputation may have been somewhat (wrongly!!) tarnished in the eyes of some on here because of his association with a.n.other...

  4. #4
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Roundabout Milton Keynes
    Posts
    46,019
    Agree. Manfred is a gentleman & it was only when involved with a.n.Other it went wrong.

    Send him my regards if you reply back to him, Rory. Not seen him for a good few years now, might try look him up the next time Iím over.
    SteveM owes me £5
    I owe Dan £5
    Steve. Pay the man!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Send him my regards if you reply back to him, Rory.
    Will do Simon!
    I'll be emailing him later this evening, I'll pass on your regards to him then.

    Amongst his other virtues, he's also an uncanny Freddie Mercury look-alike..

  6. #6
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Roundabout Milton Keynes
    Posts
    46,019
    Thanks Rory
    SteveM owes me £5
    I owe Dan £5
    Steve. Pay the man!

  7. #7
    Regular Nige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    30,451
    Manfred was always helpful. A bit of a bodger at times but he meant well.

    Ken, he just wanted your money.

  8. #8
    What happened to Ken? Anyone know what he is doing?
    Thordur Magnusson
    Road - E39 M5 Twin SC
    Track - E30 M3 S85 - build in progress.....

  9. #9
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Roundabout Milton Keynes
    Posts
    46,019
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmer View Post
    What happened to Ken? Anyone know what he is doing?
    Time hopefully for all the daylight robbery he did
    SteveM owes me £5
    I owe Dan £5
    Steve. Pay the man!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    Manfred was always helpful. A bit of a bodger at times but he meant well.
    With every respect to you Nige, I think the term "bodger" is a bit unfair!
    Any work of his that I experienced was impeccable!!
    Afterall, he was head-mechanic for the Toyota Race & Rally team for many years,
    I don't think that they would suffer bodgers..!

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Time hopefully for all the daylight robbery he did
    Last edited by Rory; 05-02-2018 at 08:47 PM.

  11. #11
    Regular Stace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    19,716
    Do people still go to the Nurburgring?
    Dunlop Direzzas. Officially better than aero.

  12. #12
    Regular Nige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    30,451
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    With every respect to you Nige, I think the term "bodger" is a bit unfair!
    Any work of his that I experienced was impeccable!!
    Afterall, he was head-mechanic for the Toyota Race & Rally team for many years,
    I don't think that they would suffer bodgers..!


    Steph needed a radiator bracket making and bolting to the slam panel, Manfred welded it on top and bottom so the radiator was impossible to remove without grinding the brackets off, because it was quicker.

    Simon had floating rotors and bells, manfred used nyloc nuts because he didn't have any genuine AP Pinch nuts.

    Nice bloke and very very helpful, I 100% agree, but his work wasn't always the best.

  13. #13
    Regular pye21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    In the garage
    Posts
    18,166
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmer View Post
    What happened to Ken?
    Married Barbie, ran off to a remote desert island.
    Back in clutter

  14. #14
    Regular Stace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    19,716
    After Ian said that, who else thought of this?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1dx...has_verified=1
    Dunlop Direzzas. Officially better than aero.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post

    Simon had floating rotors and bells, manfred used nyloc nuts because he didn't have any genuine AP Pinch nuts.

    .
    Hobby mechanics have the luxury of not being at the general publics request ,Nige.

    So, he could have just said 'I cant help,I have not got the genuine bolts' but he got someone moving again,probably at their request. Thats not a botch, thats 'the customer is allways right'

    I dont know anyone involved,but I do know someone once asked me to repair an oil leak from a cracked sump with sellotape so he could get across london.(I declined,and he rode off,probably till he either seized his engine or slipped off on the oil all over his rear tyre)


    If you tell a mechanic 'I need the vehicle now', you will get a botch. Parts take time to order,and so does doing a job properly.
    Last edited by pilgrim; 18-02-2018 at 06:08 PM.

  16. #16
    Regular Nige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    30,451
    Quote Originally Posted by pilgrim View Post
    If you tell a mechanic 'I need the vehicle now', you will get a botch. Parts take time to order,and so does doing a job properly.
    The thing is, the car was being stored there and they carried out some work on the brakes (new rotors?) after getting the go ahead from Simon after he'd just returned from a trip.

    They had weeks before his next visit and simply fitted nylocs because that's what Manfred happened to to have in his toolbox

    There was zero time pressure.

  17. #17
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Roundabout Milton Keynes
    Posts
    46,019
    ^^^
    This & you should have seen the bill from Ken! Got some off & car removed same day.

    Still have time for Manfred, think Ken was the big influence in a lot of what went wrong. Manfred actually met me at the Ring car park the next time I was over & refunded me some money out of his own pocket as well.
    SteveM owes me £5
    I owe Dan £5
    Steve. Pay the man!

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Manfred actually met me at the Ring car park the next time I was over & refunded me some money out of his own pocket as well.
    Nice! That's a measure of the man right there ^ !!

  19. #19
    Regular Nige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    30,451
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    Nice! That's a measure of the man right there ^ !!
    You should be a lawyer ! As soon as I put forth a reasoned argument with examples to back up my `bodger` comment, you ignore my answer and just reply to positive posts about Manfred

    I never said he wasn`t a very nice man

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    You should be a lawyer ! As soon as I put forth a reasoned argument with examples to back up my `bodger` comment, you ignore my answer and just reply to positive posts about Manfred

    I never said he wasn`t a very nice man
    So should you!
    With the use of phrases like "put forth a reasoned argument", that's very lawyer-esque.
    (btw I am a legal practitioner!).

    I never ignore anything you say Nige (sorry if it appeared otherwise)!!
    It's just that you were speaking from personal experience, therefore I had no basis for a cogent counter-argument..

  21. #21
    Regular Jim Cameron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Just off the A34
    Posts
    24,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Stace View Post
    After Ian said that, who else thought of this?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1dx...has_verified=1
    Erm... no. I was just thinking that Ken had a Corvette, and Barrie had some sort of Jeep with a horse box.
    The Forces' Motorsport Charity
    www.missionmotorsport.org

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts