+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: WRC 2018 Photos and discussion

Quote Originally Posted by jon_r View Post
    Meeke virtually confirmed for Toyota next year. Glad to see him back.
    Quote Originally Posted by autohabit View Post
    Craig Breen also confident he will be behind the wheel of a factory WRC car next season as well
    Very pleased for both Meeke and Breen, that's great news.

Both come from solid Rallying stock - Kris' father Sydney used to prepare all of Bertie Fisher's (amongst others) rallycars back in the day... Craig's father Ray was very competitive on the Irish National Rally Championship, with multiple wins to his name...
    so it's in their blood!

Iron Meeke Tyson!

The 2019 WRC calendar has been revealed, with Chile hosting a round for the first time ever.

2019 WRC calendar

Monte Carlo Rally January 24-27
    Sweden February 14-17
    Mexico March 7-10
    Tour de Corse March 28-31
    Argentina April 25-28
    Chile May 9-12
    Portugal May 30-June 2
    Italy June 13-16
    Finland August 1-4
    Germany August 22-25
    Turkey September 12-15
    GB October 3-6
    Spain October 24-27
    Australia November 14-17

Next weekend's Catalunya rally could mark the end of an era, as it may be Sebastien Loeb's final ever WRC start.

However, this week brought the news that Loeb's current employers (Peugeot), have a announced that they will withdraw from World Rallycross at the end of this year, so Loeb is currently redundant (but still signed to PSA)….

9 Titles
    78 Wins

A reminder of what it looks like to win 9 consecutive WRC titles, you meet some quite successful people along the way

2004 Loeb - Schumacher

2005 Loeb - Alonso

2006 Loeb - Alonso

2007 Loeb - Räikkönen

2008 Loeb - Hamilton

2009 Loeb - Button

2010 Loeb - Vettel

2011 Loeb - Vettel

2012 Loeb - Vettel

Petter Solberg testing the new VW Polo R5 in readiness for this weekend's Catalunya Rally, it will mark Solberg's first WRC start for 6 years.

Meeke has already been testing a Toyota in Finland...

...Meeke's new Boss Tommi Makinen described it as a very low speed accident, the car was rolled back onto its wheels, and they carried on!

Really delighted to see this. Not the roll, the role.
    The Forces' Motorsport Charity
    www.missionmotorsport.org

A leaf out of Nige's book for the corner cutting there
    Northloop.co.uk - at the forefront of political debate since Tuesday.

Can anybody remember how long ago it was since a non French driver won the WRC title?

The boys are back in town, here we have the title holders for the last 15 years.

Somebody on here a while ago asked what the interior of a modern rally car looks like, these pics are of of VW's new R5 rally car. Minimalistic springs to mind:

WRC Rally Catalunya highlights tonight (Wed) Channel 5 @ 7pm

Safe to say, the title will be going down to the wire in Australia. Pics and report to follow.

Regular
    Somebody on here a while ago asked what the interior of a modern rally car looks like, these pics are of of VW's new R5 rally car. Minimalistic springs to mind:
    That was me, thank you!
    Starlet GT - Build Thread

Regular
    With shonky “ sometimes I get phone reception, sometimes I don’t”...and no WiFi...I miss all these when working in France...bugger
    Must get connected
    If a man speaks his mind in a forest and no woman hears him...is he still wrong ?

Rally RACC Catalunya - Rally de España. The penultimate round of the WRC. Three drivers had their eyes set on the championship trophy.

Tanak, Ogier & Neuville - Toyota, M-Sport Ford & Hyundai, this was going to be a titanic battle.

One more interesting ingredient to the event was the return of Sebastien Loeb, the Frenchman had not started the Catalunya Rally since 2012, but it should be remembered that he won this rally an unprecedented 8 times consecutively between 2005 and 2012.

The traditional shakedown stage before the event started did not go well for Neuville, no serious damage, apart from to his confidence perhaps

Catalunya is a now rare WRC mix of gravel and tarmac, day 1 would be held entirely on the loose stuff

Tanak was yet again the man to beat, building up a healthy lead

Loeb was expected to be at an advantage, running at a later starting position than his rivals, but it wasn't showing, he was 30 seconds down on Tanak after the first day in 4th place

Crazy rally spectators unfortunately still exist!

Rovanpera was leading WRC2 again

Title hopeful Neuville was in 9th place after day 1, he was hoping to do better now the event had switched to tarmac

Tanak punctured and had to stop in the stage to change a wheel, the lead was then fought out between Loeb, Sordo and Latvala.

Latvala then also punctured!

Evans was finally having a strong run

Loeb was now on the attack

Just like the old days, it went down to the last stage, Loeb led Ogier by 3.6 seconds

It all went down to the final 14km super special stage, both Loeb and Ogier are absolute masters in these circumstances.

But it was the old master who brought home the fairytale victory, by just 2.9 seconds

The old dream team back at the top!

Evans played an important part in the championship battle, he was able to run in front of Neuville and drag debris onto the road (Not that I'm saying he did that, but he was able to do so!)

Although now age 44, Loeb was able to roll back the years, it seems to be the year of the old boys, myself having witnessed fortysomething Dougie Lampkin win a few weeks ago in his disciline, now it was Loeb's turn.

Loeb can still do his celebratory backflip as well!

The only thing I can match Seb on is crap selfies

Final result:

1. Sebastien Loeb FRA Citroen C3 WRC 3hr 12m 08.0s
    2. Sebastien Ogier FRA M-Sport Ford Fiesta WRC 17 +2.9s
    3. Elfyn Evans GBR M-Sport Ford Fiesta WRC 17 +16.5s
    4. Thierry Neuville BEL Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC +17.0s
    5. Dani Sordo ESP Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC +18.6s
    6. Ott Tanak EST Toyota Yaris Gazoo Racing +1m 03.9s
    7. Esapekka Lappi FIN Toyota Yaris Gazoo Racing +1m 16.6s
    8. Jari-Matti Latvala FIN Toyota Yaris Gazoo Racing +1m 26.4s
    9. Craig Breen IRE Citroen C3 Abu Dhabi WRC +2m 07.0s
    10. Andreas Mikkelsen NOR Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC +2m 48.2s
    11. Teemu Suninen FIN M-Sport Ford Fiesta WRC 17 +3m 52.0s
    12. Kalle Rovanpera FIN Skoda Fabia R5 +8m 39.6s
    13. Jan Kopecky CZE Skoda Fabia R5 +8m 48.1s
    14. Petter Solberg NOR Volkswagen Motorsport Polo GTI R5 +10m 16.2s

Thanks to Evans keeping Neuville off the podium, Ogier now has a small points lead going into the final round in Australia. Even Tanak has a chance of the title if the other two hit trouble...

Regular
    I woke up last Sunday & the clock didn't just go back an hour, it went back a decade. This was a fantastic result.

Last week Rally Japan was recognised as a successful candidate for inclusion back into the WRC, Japan last held a WRC event in 2010. It is likely to be back in 2020.

The final round of this year's WRC - Rally Australia highlights tonight (Wed) Channel 5 @ 7pm

More than a third of all World Rally Championships have been won by Frenchmen called Sebastien.
    If the whole world was filled with just animals and David Attenborough, it would be a beautiful place. Unfortunately, it's been overrun by 7.6-billion assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    More than a third of all World Rally Championships have been won by Frenchmen called Sebastien.
    Interesting stat.! I can only think of 2.

Sébastien Loeb is the oldest winner of a special stage format WRC rally at 44 years and 244 days. Only beaten by 2 Safari Rally winners Hannu Mikkola 44 years and 331 days and Björn Waldegård at 46 years and 155 days, so Seb still has to carry on a little longer to take the outright record!

Rally Australia - Championship showdown.

With Ogier leading Neuville by just 3 points, this was going to be a tense rally. Should both of them hit trouble, then Tanak could steal the title.

Neuvile giving his rivals some good news! He was on the back foot from here on in.

Breen down at the beach

Evans was acting as support to Ogier

Tanak was flying, but would hit problems

Prize for the dumbest spectators goes to.....

Heading into the final stages, the tension was running high at M-Sport, all they needed to do was finish ahead of Neuville, and Ogier would take the drivers title

Latvavla was heading for his first win of 2018, he has now won a WRC round every year since 2008. He also has the most wins without winning a WRC title

Meanwhile, Ogier was in control

Lappi on his final rally for Toyota

Title hopes were all over for Neuville

A 6th consecuitive title for Ogier, and won the hard way, coming back from a big points defecit, in what was not the fastest car. A deserved champion.

A proud moment for Malcolm Wilson, it may be a long time before M-Sport take another title

Rally Australia - Final positions

1. Jari-Matti Latvala FIN Toyota Yaris Gazoo Racing 2hr 59m 52.0s
    2. Hayden Paddon NZL Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC +32.5s
    3. Mads Ostberg NOR Citroen C3 WRC +52.2s
    4. Esapekka Lappi FIN Toyota Yaris Gazoo Racing +1m 02.3s
    5. Sebastien Ogier FRA M-Sport Ford Fiesta WRC 17 +2m 30.8s
    6. Elfyn Evans GBR M-Sport Ford Fiesta WRC 17 +3m 05.1s
    7. Craig Breen IRE Citroen C3 Abu Dhabi WRC +8m 59.0s
    8. Alberto Heller CHI Ford Fiesta R5 +22m 28.5s
    9. Steve Glenney AUS Skoda Fabia R5 +27m 01.8s
    10. Jourdan Serderidis GRE M-Sport Ford Fiesta WRC +35m 14.1s

The final driver standing will go into the record books looking like Ogier had a comfortable title win, but it wasn't quite like that.

1️. Ogier - 219
    2️. Neuville - 201
    3️. Tänak - 181
    4️. Latvala - 128
    5️. Lappi - 126
    6️. Mikkelsen - 84
    7️. Evans - 80
    8️. Paddon - 73
    9️. Sordo - 71
    10. Ostberg - 70

Toyota took the manufacturers title

Last edited by autohabit; 24-11-2018 at 08:20 AM.

Prize for the dumbest spectators goes to.....

I bet they got some good shots though, and a faceful of dust and rocks...
    If the whole world was filled with just animals and David Attenborough, it would be a beautiful place. Unfortunately, it's been overrun by 7.6-billion assholes.

Craig Breen is taking time off from WRC duties this weekend, driving this 6R4 on the Killarney Historic Stages Rally. Paul Nagle on the notes.

Turn your speakers up and listen to this. Straight cut box, clunk, engage 1st and go! Sounds just like a rally car should.

https://twitter.com/chrismouth/statu...98971022376960

Craig Breen is taking time off from WRC duties this weekend, driving this 6R4 on the Killarney Historic Stages Rally. Paul Nagle on the notes.

Turn your speakers up and listen to this. Straight cut box, clunk, engage 1st and go! Sounds just like a rally car should.

https://twitter.com/chrismouth/statu...98971022376960
    How right you are Alan!
    I was there on Moll's Gap earlier to see and hear Craig & Paul come past...
    it was glorious, and the highlight of my day thusfar!

I'm on another Stage now, but the last update I got is that my friend Owen Murphy is leading the Rally o/a in his Talbot Sunbeam.
    Last edited by Rory; 02-12-2018 at 03:25 PM.

6R4 is just the best rally car ever. Not the most successful, but the most bonkers, crazy, charismatic thing. My lottery garage would have one of these next to an original Stratos.

^^ Thanks for those links Joel.

The Helmet Cam is rather hectic and frantic.. therefore fantastic to watch.
    Craig was really 'on it' when I saw him on the Stages..
    Though it must have been strange for him to change from his sequential paddle-shift gearboxed Citroen back to an old-school stick-shift (and a dog-box aswell).. bless him he muscled it well!!

It all ended at the side of the road sadly, but fair play for sampling 3 pedals and a gear stick!

At the weekend, Valentino Rossi will attempt to win the Monza Rally for a 7th time. He will be at the wheel of the latest spec M-Sport Fiesta. M-Sport will also send Finnish driver Teemu Suninen.

+ Reply to Thread