+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 201 to 240 of 240

Thread: Brexit -> Britain v. Ireland...

  1. #201
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit View Post
    So simplistic as to be largely incorrect.



    Oh good. Well as long as you made your choice based on thoughts and opinions, there is absolutely nothing I can foresee being troublesome with that approach

    “Hi... yes we would like to build a bridge”

    No problem, I’ve got lots of thoughts and opinions about bridges

    “... and presumably some level of expertise, experience, and tools with which to make your calculations too”

    Not me, just thoughts and opinions

    “...”



    ^^ this is why you don’t ask for people’s thoughts or opinions on subjects they know nothing about

    brilliant, but I still voted for Brexit because they DID
    "ask people's thoughts or opinions on subjects they know nothing about" which in my opinion is such a simplistic statement as to be largely incorrect! (I can't wait to use that "statement" again, when someone says or writes something I don't agree with!!

  2. #202
    Regular Neil Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Bucks/Beds/Northants
    Posts
    14,715
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit View Post


    Accountancy is the number one sector facing redundancy due to the advancement of automation and AI

    “The death of the professions” is worth a read
    I'm sure there will be many consultancy positions available for those who can understand and apply the new regulations. At least in the short term. They could also advise the software programmers who would seek to replace them...
    "Fortunately, I'd taken a spare Gearbox, Turbo, Actuator, Banjo Connector, Steering Rack, Driveshafts, ECU, Wideband sensor, 57-51mm silicone reducing elbow and a Copper Banjo Washer." - Nige

  3. #203
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Mac View Post
    I'm sure there will be many consultancy positions available for those who can understand and apply the new regulations. At least in the short term. They could also advise the software programmers who would seek to replace them...
    What “new regulations”?

    This is all very bizarre, like a rabbit hole - the more that’s said, the worse it becomes. Suddenly we need accountants for basics of financial reporting?

    Please, stop the madness. Let’s just leave it as “nobody has a ****ing clue”

  4. #204
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit View Post
    As I’ve said, if anyone here actually knew anything, they wouldn’t be commenting at all. Each and every aspect is incredibly complicated and to have the arrogance as to think there is “an answer” simply demonstrates a deep level of ignorance of the topic... which, of course, almost everyone is.

    Certainly, there is no one person who knows anything about the full breadth of issues that leaving the EU covers, and there’s definitely nobody here that has any level of worthwhile input on a single matter as to make it worth reading

    If you are unable to see that then again, it demonstrates a total lack of comprehension of the issues we face

    Anyone need only start to research any single topic for a day or two in order to appreciate the vast depth of knowledge required in order to form a basis for an opinion, let alone hold an authoritative stance, and that is clearly lacking in the arguments put forward

    This is headline news-slinging and it’s exactly why the general public should never be consulted on anything - their opinions are formed based on biased media sources rather than primary evidence and an appreciation of everything that’s involved
    This sounds to me like a very strong argument for why the referendum was a very bad idea.

    Or, maybe the rest of the country are just a lot smarter than you and were able to see all of the wide-ranging issues as a simple Yes/No question :D

  5. #205
    Quote Originally Posted by dex View Post
    This sounds to me like a very strong argument for why the referendum was a very bad idea.

    Or, maybe the rest of the country are just a lot smarter than you and were able to see all of the wide-ranging issues as a simple Yes/No question :D
    I'm in the 2nd paragraph camp

  6. #206
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigt3 View Post
    I'm in the 2nd paragraph camp
    There is a lot of research at the moment showing:

    - stupid people think they’re more capable and knowledgeable around things than they actually are
    - intelligent people suffer most with things like imposter syndrome, low self-efficacy etc

    This is an extension of the male/female research in the same area

    So whether you meant that as a comical reference to that, or even if you just believe it straight up, that’s comedy genius

  7. #207
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit View Post
    There is a lot of research at the moment showing:

    - stupid people think they’re more capable and knowledgeable around things than they actually are
    - intelligent people suffer most with things like imposter syndrome, low self-efficacy etc

    This is an extension of the male/female research in the same area

    So whether you meant that as a comical reference to that, or even if you just believe it straight up, that’s comedy genius
    With regards to the "lot of research at the moment showing" out of the two points I'm definitely point Number 1 ( stupid person)
    The last paragraph, I'll 100% take that as a compliment

  8. #208
    Regular Joel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    the second richest village in England
    Posts
    11,235
    I'm definitely stupid, but I recognise that, and subsequently don't post much on this subject.

    If you want to argue that the general population is too stupid to vote on important matters then you probably shouldn't be living in a democracy. The same can be said about every general election as can be said about this referendum. Nobody really understands all the pertinent issues, and it always comes down to a media-led popularity contest based on who can tell the most convincing and attractive lies to the proles.

    We may not understand all the issues, but as a democratic society we have a right and a duty to question those who make the rules and the decisions they take on our behalf.
    If the whole world was filled with just animals and David Attenborough, it would be a beautiful place. Unfortunately, it's been overrun by 7.6-billion assholes.

  9. #209
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I'm definitely stupid, but I recognise that, and subsequently don't post much on this subject.

    If you want to argue that the general population is too stupid to vote on important matters then you probably shouldn't be living in a democracy. The same can be said about every general election as can be said about this referendum. Nobody really understands all the pertinent issues, and it always comes down to a media-led popularity contest based on who can tell the most convincing and attractive lies to the proles.

    We may not understand all the issues, but as a democratic society we have a right and a duty to question those who make the rules and the decisions they take on our behalf.
    Exactly, but some people do not seem to understand this, maybe in their view we should have a voting system based on wealth and general IQ, if you are'nt smart or don't have money you can't vote!

  10. #210
    What happens if you are a very wealthy moron, or a skint genius?


    Whatever anyone voted for, for whatever reason, we are now stuck with the outcome.

    Going on and on about it on what used to be a car forum won't change a thing.


    People who think they know more about it than the next man, and belittle the opinions of others, just seem to get more and more wound up about the whole thing, when in the grand scheme of things, there is fcuk all that they can do about it.


    Have one of these, but make sure we don't go over the Eu approved quota.


  11. #211
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I'm definitely stupid, but I recognise that, and subsequently don't post much on this subject.

    If you want to argue that the general population is too stupid to vote on important matters then you probably shouldn't be living in a democracy. The same can be said about every general election as can be said about this referendum. Nobody really understands all the pertinent issues, and it always comes down to a media-led popularity contest based on who can tell the most convincing and attractive lies to the proles.

    We may not understand all the issues, but as a democratic society we have a right and a duty to question those who make the rules and the decisions they take on our behalf.
    Unfortunately I can’t dictate the society I live in, short of moving to somewhere where society is totally aligned with my principles - alas, there isn’t anywhere

    By all mean question them. But nobody here is asking relevant questions - they’re taking a stance based on content pumped out by people with an agenda. Hence why I first said that if you want to start a movement, writing to your MP telling them what you think and asking loaded questions is just a waste of time

    Why does it have to be a media-led popularity contest? You’re playing to that. I’m doing my bit in challenging exactly what you’re saying - I’m saying don’t spout shit unless you have primary source evidence to back it up and can hold your own in a debate

    If everyone did that, maybe things would change


    Intelligence isn’t related to wealth. (Edit - IQ does have strong links to social outcomes though, but that’s another story)

    A voting system linked to IQ.... explore that further. Maybe we should. You don’t get a job unless you’re qualified. You don’t get a drivers license unless you pass your test. Yet somehow everyone is entitled to a vote....

    Seen the film Idiocracy? Why should a populist stance dictate the future if the majority are stupid. Do we agree with bad decisions just because more people in the room wanted it?

    There’s more merit in a debate around a test for voting than one around our future after Brexit

  12. #212
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit View Post
    Unfortunately I can’t dictate the society I live in, short of moving to somewhere where society is totally aligned with my principles - alas, there isn’t anywhere

    By all mean question them. But nobody here is asking relevant questions - they’re taking a stance based on content pumped out by people with an agenda. Hence why I first said that if you want to start a movement, writing to your MP telling them what you think and asking loaded questions is just a waste of time

    Why does it have to be a media-led popularity contest? You’re playing to that. I’m doing my bit in challenging exactly what you’re saying - I’m saying don’t spout shit unless you have primary source evidence to back it up and can hold your own in a debate

    If everyone did that, maybe things would change


    Intelligence isn’t related to wealth. (Edit - IQ does have strong links to social outcomes though, but that’s another story)

    A voting system linked to IQ.... explore that further. Maybe we should. You don’t get a job unless you’re qualified. You don’t get a drivers license unless you pass your test. Yet somehow everyone is entitled to a vote....

    Seen the film Idiocracy? Why should a populist stance dictate the future if the majority are stupid. Do we agree with bad decisions just because more people in the room wanted it?

    There’s more merit in a debate around a test for voting than one around our future after Brexit

    Who said intelligence was related to wealth , and with regards your 2nd last paragraph, sums up what a lot of remainers think, the majority where stupid but in my opinion it's the other way round!

  13. #213
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigt3 View Post
    Who said intelligence was related to wealth
    You said “wealth and general IQ”. I guess you meant “or”


    and with regards your 2nd last paragraph, sums up what a lot of remainers think, the majority where stupid but in my opinion it's the other way round!
    In terms of intelligence and which way people voted, statistically there was a link between levels of education and which way an area tended to vote but that’s not linked to intelligence

    You shouldn’t really hold an opinion about such a large population of voters - it’s easily falsified and just adds more credence to the perception that you hold views without any basis or evidence

  14. #214
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit View Post
    Unfortunately I can’t dictate the society I live in, short of moving to somewhere where society is totally aligned with my principles - alas, there isn’t anywhere

    By all mean question them. But nobody here is asking relevant questions - they’re taking a stance based on content pumped out by people with an agenda. Hence why I first said that if you want to start a movement, writing to your MP telling them what you think and asking loaded questions is just a waste of time

    Why does it have to be a media-led popularity contest? You’re playing to that. I’m doing my bit in challenging exactly what you’re saying - I’m saying don’t spout shit unless you have primary source evidence to back it up and can hold your own in a debate

    If everyone did that, maybe things would change


    Intelligence isn’t related to wealth. (Edit - IQ does have strong links to social outcomes though, but that’s another story)

    A voting system linked to IQ.... explore that further. Maybe we should. You don’t get a job unless you’re qualified. You don’t get a drivers license unless you pass your test. Yet somehow everyone is entitled to a vote....

    Seen the film Idiocracy? Why should a populist stance dictate the future if the majority are stupid. Do we agree with bad decisions just because more people in the room wanted it?

    There’s more merit in a debate around a test for voting than one around our future after Brexit


    What are you actually doing about it, apart from posting about it on here?

  15. #215
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit View Post
    You said “wealth and general IQ”. I guess you meant “or”




    In terms of intelligence and which way people voted, statistically there was a link between levels of education and which way an area tended to vote but that’s not linked to intelligence

    You shouldn’t really hold an opinion about such a large population of voters - it’s easily falsified and just adds more credence to the perception that you hold views without any basis or evidence
    I don't hold really an opinion about such a large population of voters, from reading your posts I thought you did

  16. #216
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim View Post
    What are you actually doing about it, apart from posting about it on here?
    About what, Brexit? Nothing - I have no opinion either way and neither should anyone on here until they’ve fully understood all of the issues or at the very least, understood one issue fully and then comment purely on that issue and have the confidence to say, “but on everything else I have nothing to add”. Again, that’s the point I’m making

    About telling people how to structure arguments, think logically, question and challenge the utter nonsense that people come out with, call out people who are discriminatory or tolerate such behaviour, encouraging others not to not blindly follow claims made in the media, promote civilised conversation around topics where there is ‘no answer’ etc? I do that wherever I can

  17. #217
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit View Post
    About what, Brexit? Nothing - I have no opinion either way and neither should anyone on here until they’ve fully understood all of the issues or at the very least, understood one issue fully and then comment purely on that issue and have the confidence to say, “but on everything else I have nothing to add”. Again, that’s the point I’m making

    About telling people how to structure arguments, think logically, question and challenge the utter nonsense that people come out with, call out people who are discriminatory or tolerate such behaviour, encouraging others not to not blindly follow claims made in the media, promote civilised conversation around topics where there is ‘no answer’ etc? I do that wherever I can
    If you read what you've previously written, you don't.

  18. #218
    Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Belgium, Russia, ...
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    If you want to argue that the general population is too stupid to vote on important matters then you probably shouldn't be living in a democracy.
    That's why you live in a representative democracy. Direct democracy has its uses, certainly, but is better suited to stuff like "should gay marriage be legal" rather than oversimplifying a hugely complicated economic and geopolitical issue for the sake of fitting it on a ballot which then gets hijacked by various groups with wildly different interests.

  19. #219
    Quote Originally Posted by JCviggen View Post
    That's why you live in a representative democracy. Direct democracy has its uses, certainly, but is better suited to stuff like "should gay marriage be legal" rather than oversimplifying a hugely complicated economic and geopolitical issue for the sake of fitting it on a ballot which then gets hijacked by various groups with wildly different interests.
    Head of nail = soundly struck!


    It would seem that "Direct Democracy" and "Representative Democracy" have been conflated by a significant portion of the UK public.

    David Cameron (bless him) is partly to blame, his statement to say that the government would obey the referendum was unnecessary and allowed for little in the way of leeway to consider the outcome properly.


    The benefit of a Representative Democracy is that I don't have to make any decisions on how the country is run. I choose a chap, or chappess, to carry out that onerous task on my behalf.

    I can spend my day weighing up the pros and cons of centrifugal vs positive displacement supercharging and know that someone is working full-time on running the country. Someone who is far more interested in the details than me, someone who has far more time to spend understanding what's going on.

    It's the same reason I choose a dentist and then let him work the drill, rather than insisting I should do it myself.

  20. #220
    Quote Originally Posted by dex View Post
    Head of nail = soundly struck!


    It would seem that "Direct Democracy" and "Representative Democracy" have been conflated by a significant portion of the UK public.

    David Cameron (bless him) is partly to blame, his statement to say that the government would obey the referendum was unnecessary and allowed for little in the way of leeway to consider the outcome properly.


    The benefit of a Representative Democracy is that I don't have to make any decisions on how the country is run. I choose a chap, or chappess, to carry out that onerous task on my behalf.

    I can spend my day weighing up the pros and cons of centrifugal vs positive displacement supercharging and know that someone is working full-time on running the country. Someone who is far more interested in the details than me, someone who has far more time to spend understanding what's going on.

    It's the same reason I choose a dentist and then let him work the drill, rather than insisting I should do it myself.
    I agree we do live in a representative democracy, that's why once the referendum outcome was decided (leave vote) it's up to the government to get the best deal (as you say, I choose a dentist and then let him work the drill), what I don't understand is your statement saying "David cameron is partly to blame, his statement saying the government would obey the referendum was unnecessary" so what type of democracy would that fall under if the government did'nt obey the referendum, would that be representative or direct democracy, my opinion is it would be something completely different.

  21. #221
    Regular Neil Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Bucks/Beds/Northants
    Posts
    14,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigt3 View Post
    what type of democracy would that fall under if the government didn't obey the referendum.
    Referenda in this country are non-binding, due to the same parliamentary sovereignty. The government are free to ignore the result without any legal ramifications. There is nothing to 'obey' as such. Our government made sure to let everyone know this during the Scottish independence referendum, but for some reason want us to believe that parliamentary sovereignty should not apply in the case of Brexit. It would be nice to have some consistency, whatever form that might take.
    "Fortunately, I'd taken a spare Gearbox, Turbo, Actuator, Banjo Connector, Steering Rack, Driveshafts, ECU, Wideband sensor, 57-51mm silicone reducing elbow and a Copper Banjo Washer." - Nige

  22. #222
    Regular Mike Roberts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    6,399
    Just in general terms, rather than Brexit - sometimes it's braver to back out than drag a corpse over the line just to say you've done it.

    All Governments are guilty of that.
    Takes a lot of skill to look this bad you know...

  23. #223
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Mac View Post
    Referenda in this country are non-binding, due to the same parliamentary sovereignty. The government are free to ignore the result without any legal ramifications. There is nothing to 'obey' as such. Our government made sure to let everyone know this during the Scottish independence referendum, but for some reason want us to believe that parliamentary sovereignty should not apply in the case of Brexit. It would be nice to have some consistency, whatever form that might take.

    Past mistakes (the government letting everyone know during the Scottish referendum that a referendum vote is not legally binding) should not be repeated!!!
    Can't say I ever heard that during the Scottish referendum debates.

  24. #224
    Regular Neil Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Bucks/Beds/Northants
    Posts
    14,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigt3 View Post
    Past mistakes (the government letting everyone know during the Scottish referendum that a referendum vote is not legally binding) should not be repeated!!!
    Can't say I ever heard that during the Scottish referendum debates.
    It wasn't mentioned in the debates, but when the vote to hold the referendum was first put to Parliament. The paperwork for the Brexit referendum says the same thing (as it should, being a legal public record), but the politicians tune is different.

    Regardless, our sovereign parliament have agreed to pursue Brexit, and we must press them to seek wise counsel.
    "Fortunately, I'd taken a spare Gearbox, Turbo, Actuator, Banjo Connector, Steering Rack, Driveshafts, ECU, Wideband sensor, 57-51mm silicone reducing elbow and a Copper Banjo Washer." - Nige

  25. #225
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Mac View Post
    It wasn't mentioned in the debates, but when the vote to hold the referendum was first put to Parliament. The paperwork for the Brexit referendum says the same thing (as it should, being a legal public record), but the politicians tune is different.

    Regardless, our sovereign parliament have agreed to pursue Brexit, and we must press them to seek wise counsel.
    Agreed

  26. #226
    Regular findlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    9,022
    Quote Originally Posted by findlay View Post
    I doubt that these emails are worded in a way that will encourage a response but I emailed my two local MPs on the 24th of November with this:

    [/FONT]


    I didn't get a reply... so I then sent this on Monday. I have yet to have even a sniff of a reply.


    So, at long last, this comes back from one of the brainwashed MPs...

    Secondly, With the EU Withdrawal Bill, and its wider Brexit policy, the UK Government is putting into effect the will of the British people, as expressed in the referendum on June 23rd, 2016. As a Scottish Conservative, I firmly believe in democracy and in respecting the result of referendums.

    Many of the forecasts which have prophesied that Brexit will harm the economy, meanwhile, are based on faulty assumptions and have been proven wrong time and time again – fears that a Brexit vote would lead to a recession have turned out to be unfounded, and in 2017 the UK economy comfortably outperformed the pessimistic predictions of the World Bank, IMF, OECD, and CBI, as unemployment dropped to a 45-year low.

    Leaving the EU will open up a range of new opportunities to the UK. Many countries and trade blocs, including the United States, Japan, Canada, Australia, and South Korea, have in fact expressed interest in, or already held talks with the UK Government about, a post-Brexit free trade deal. These deals will run alongside the free trade deal we will sign with the European Union when we leave.

    In addition, we will be able to reform or remove damaging EU regulations, establish a fair immigration system that is tailored to the needs of the British economy, devolve new powers to the Scottish Parliament, reform support for agriculture and revive our fisheries, and spend the billions of pounds a year that currently goes to the EU on our own priorities. We will also be better insulated from any future EU crises.

    In relation to the Government’s handling of the Brexit negotiations which you label as shambolic, I believe that The Prime Minister has in fact shown great strength. We achieved sufficient progress in the first stage of negotiations, guaranteeing citizens’ rights, and allowing us to move onto the next stage of the smooth Brexit everyone wants to see. The agreement secures the rights of the three million EU citizens living here and the million British citizens living in the EU, and represents a fair settlement of the accounts. It is clear that we will maintain the Common Travel Area with Ireland, which has operated since the 1920s, and this agreement sets out both sides’ determination to avoid a hard border between Northern Ireland and Ireland, while respecting the integrity of the UK single market. This is now a good deal for citizens, for taxpayers and for all parts of the United Kingdom that will allow us to get on to the vital trade negotiations and get quick agreement to an implementation period in the best interests of people and businesses in the UK as we leave EU.

    The Government is wholeheartedly committed to getting the best Brexit deal for people, delivering control of our money, borders and laws, while building a new, deep and special economic and security relationship with the EU

    We obviously not going to agree on Brexit and I’m not going to attempt to convince you otherwise. What I will say is that those on the other side of the argument will tell you that Brexit will only bring doom and gloom. They’ll even show you some official-looking forecasts that tell you so. Well, they can have their forecasts, because we’ve got facts. The fact that, since the Brexit vote, unemployment has dropped to a 45-year low. The fact that Scotland now has one of the lowest rates of youth unemployment in the developed world. The fact that the UK economy has grown steadily since the referendum and, in 2017, comfortably beat the forecasts of the World Bank, the IMF, the OECD, and the CBI.Every time the facts prove them wrong, the anti-Brexit argument pushes the apocalypse back, and back, and back. Before June 2016, they told us a Leave vote would instantly spark a recession and high unemployment; but now that hasn’t happened, they just shout ‘we haven’t left yet!’ The truth is they are false prophets, prophesying a doom that will never happen. Brexit is a chance for Scotland, and the UK as a whole, to achieve its full potential in the 21st century. I believe that, with Brexit, our best days as a nation lie ahead of us, and it is young Scots who will get to enjoy that the most.

    I hope that you find my email helpful.

    Kind Regards,

    Ross
    Question. Do I reply with this link? Brexit: Official forecasts suggest economies throughout UK will be hit
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42977967
    Last edited by findlay; 07-02-2018 at 09:10 PM.
    @ThrottleSteerer - Official Northloop Brat Custodian (Flat 4 or Boxer 4?)

    Forever in debt to the famous NL Brat relay Team.
    Kent to Aberdeen - December 2016

  27. #227
    Regular Diamond Hell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    On the Isle of Wight
    Posts
    5,481
    I wouldn't bother - he's one of the fingers in ears I don't believe it deniers. A cakeist.

    He's seeking the smooth Brexit everyone wants. ...ignoring the fact that only an overall minority even voted for it.

    Scottish C*ntservative
    Diamond Hell
    Holiday cottages: coastandcountry.eu
    Woodland camping with Forest Schools: campwight.co.uk

  28. #228
    Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cumbria mainly & Lanarkshire.
    Posts
    2,142
    You could but that would only strengthen his position by weakening yours (again).

    Looking at pessimistic forecasts around the vote & now with (as listed in his email) the results since then I'd be wary about quoting what may happen in the future, given what happened before.

    However DH & the usual protagonists will bang on about what may happen in the future.

    Personally I wish I had the time.

  29. #229
    Regular Neil Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Bucks/Beds/Northants
    Posts
    14,715
    Findlay,

    He's laid his cards on the table and expressly told you that he will ignore and/or dismiss any assessment that he doesn't like (without sharing any alternatives). It absolutely isn't worth your time to continue to engage with him. He doesn't care what you think, or what the 'experts' think. The 'facts' that he refers to have nothing to do with Brexit, other than they are different to what some people predicted before the vote.

    So, typical MP, sadly.
    "Fortunately, I'd taken a spare Gearbox, Turbo, Actuator, Banjo Connector, Steering Rack, Driveshafts, ECU, Wideband sensor, 57-51mm silicone reducing elbow and a Copper Banjo Washer." - Nige

  30. #230
    Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cumbria mainly & Lanarkshire.
    Posts
    2,142
    How can the facts that have nothing to do with Brexit, be made as predictions on the prediction of Brexit ?

    Keep making your noise about this but it's not unraveling as the minority who voted believed.

  31. #231
    Regular Neil Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Bucks/Beds/Northants
    Posts
    14,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz711 View Post
    How can the facts that have nothing to do with Brexit, be made as predictions on the prediction of Brexit ?

    Keep making your noise about this but it's not unraveling as the minority who voted believed.
    I don't understand your question.

    I seem to recall that when the Scottish Independence referendum was in the works, both YES and NO sides presented analytical data and expert opinions to support their positions. That provoked further debate and discussion on the value and accuracy of the analyses. This doesn't appear to have happened with Brexit (at least, since the Referendum). The only analysis I've seen has predicted a negative outcome (to varying degrees). The Brexiteers have dismissed this, but haven't presented anything other than wishful thinking to support their position. It's frustrating that there still hasn't been a balanced and fair discussion, as only one side wants to take part.
    "Fortunately, I'd taken a spare Gearbox, Turbo, Actuator, Banjo Connector, Steering Rack, Driveshafts, ECU, Wideband sensor, 57-51mm silicone reducing elbow and a Copper Banjo Washer." - Nige

  32. #232
    Regular Darren Langeveld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Coventry - twinned with the Bronx
    Posts
    17,766
    A more answer to your question Findlay, is probably more like this.

    You can tie yourself up in knots and give yourself a headache with it all if you're not careful. Far better to focus on your family and business and keep your sanity.
    Get involved!
    Destination-Nurburgring
    Nürburgring Track Days for those in the know....

  33. #233
    Regular Neil Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Bucks/Beds/Northants
    Posts
    14,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Langeveld View Post
    A more answer to your question Findlay, is probably more like this.
    Like they say, a more answer is always the best more answer.
    "Fortunately, I'd taken a spare Gearbox, Turbo, Actuator, Banjo Connector, Steering Rack, Driveshafts, ECU, Wideband sensor, 57-51mm silicone reducing elbow and a Copper Banjo Washer." - Nige

  34. #234
    Regular Darren Langeveld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Coventry - twinned with the Bronx
    Posts
    17,766
    What even is a more answer?

    More direct - what I meant to type
    Get involved!
    Destination-Nurburgring
    Nürburgring Track Days for those in the know....

  35. #235
    Regular Neil Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Bucks/Beds/Northants
    Posts
    14,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Langeveld View Post
    What even is a more answer?

    More direct - what I meant to type
    You are correct on all counts. This time
    "Fortunately, I'd taken a spare Gearbox, Turbo, Actuator, Banjo Connector, Steering Rack, Driveshafts, ECU, Wideband sensor, 57-51mm silicone reducing elbow and a Copper Banjo Washer." - Nige

  36. #236
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Langeveld View Post
    A more answer to your question Findlay, is probably more like this.

    You can tie yourself up in knots and give yourself a headache with it all if you're not careful. Far better to focus on your family and business and keep your sanity.
    To be fair, the potential change ahead is likely to have as much affect on those things than things more directly in his control


    Anyhoo...

    Neil M...

    1. There was no reasonable analysis for the independence referendum. It was awful. Truly, truly awful. The closest we got were some economic predictions based on oil prices so far removed from reality (on both sides) that it may as well have been a chat about the discovery of unicorns.

    2. There was no reasonable analysis prior to the brexit vote either

    There's a good reason why ... because it's nigh-on impossible to do any about future outcomes when the future is unknown

    Example...

    Let's say oil prices are $100.

    I say they're likely to drop to $90 by the end of the month because of A/B/C

    You disagree, and say they'll increase to $110 by the end of the month because of X/Y/Z or you discount A/B/C


    We can't predict oil prices. Looking at investment trader history, almost no traders are consistently in the top 10 year on year. They have good years and bad years. Mainly because no matter how accurate the info we have is, they can't predict the future

    And that's oil prices.

    "Brexit" takes into account a huge number of factors, known and unknown, and relies upon another party agreeing (or not) with what you want to do

    Therefore it's easy to discount what someone else puts forward. It's even easier to dream up ideas of possibilities. But it's all near-certain to be inaccurate.


    Here's to the great unknown

  37. #237
    Regular Darren Langeveld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Coventry - twinned with the Bronx
    Posts
    17,766
    ^

    Like I said - you can give yourself a headache trying to fix Brexit
    Get involved!
    Destination-Nurburgring
    Nürburgring Track Days for those in the know....

  38. #238
    Regular Neil Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Bucks/Beds/Northants
    Posts
    14,715
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit View Post
    Here's to the great unknown
    Hooray! Onwards!
    "Fortunately, I'd taken a spare Gearbox, Turbo, Actuator, Banjo Connector, Steering Rack, Driveshafts, ECU, Wideband sensor, 57-51mm silicone reducing elbow and a Copper Banjo Washer." - Nige

  39. #239
    Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cumbria mainly & Lanarkshire.
    Posts
    2,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Mac View Post
    I don't understand your question.
    That's fine I'll except that. Got me to where I wanted to be.

    No further questions your honour.

  40. #240
    Regular findlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    9,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Mac View Post
    Findlay,

    He's laid his cards on the table and expressly told you that he will ignore and/or dismiss any assessment that he doesn't like (without sharing any alternatives). It absolutely isn't worth your time to continue to engage with him. He doesn't care what you think, or what the 'experts' think. The 'facts' that he refers to have nothing to do with Brexit, other than they are different to what some people predicted before the vote.

    So, typical MP, sadly.
    Maybe I can simply edit your post to come from the first person to the second and email that to him instead?

    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Langeveld View Post
    A more answer to your question Findlay, is probably more like this.

    You can tie yourself up in knots and give yourself a headache with it all if you're not careful. Far better to focus on your family and business and keep your sanity.
    Sound advice. Heeded.
    @ThrottleSteerer - Official Northloop Brat Custodian (Flat 4 or Boxer 4?)

    Forever in debt to the famous NL Brat relay Team.
    Kent to Aberdeen - December 2016

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts