+ Reply to Thread

Thread: That Nurburgring crash doing the rounds at the moment. Think before you park.

That Nurburgring crash doing the rounds at the moment. Think before you park.

I`ve put it on Youtube but I`ve made it unlisted, this isn`t about `views`.

Why on Earth would you park where he did ?

I know he was trying to help, but come on ! drive past the accident THEN park up and run back behind the armco to warm people

The first time I watched it I was thinking "Blimey, I wouldn`t be parking there..." Then at 1:05 seeing cars smash into it.

With hindsight, seemed a crazy place to park. Trouble is that the accident zone is so big. Maybe he needs to get 200 yards past the accident, park, then run back up the track and get himself far enough up the road from the accident to be useful, maybe 300 - 400 yards up. That is over 1 minute of movement to get somewhere useful. I can see the jump out and start waving mentality and why it would be an easy trap.

As for the chap trying to help from the wrong side of the barrier.

However, completely agree... get you and your car safe (no point in compounding things or putting obstacles in the way) and then think about warning others.

Here is a crazy idea. What is needed is track-side horns. Some kind of break-glass sensor that someone can press at an accident and have sirens go off for 500m before the accident scene.

Regular
    ****ing hell!!!

The speed it all happens, can see why he parked & tried to get back to warn people. Guess in the heat of the moment people make a decision, easy to see the wrong doings afterwards.
    SteveM owes me 5
    I owe Dan 5
    Steve. Pay the man!

All looked very horrible, not helped by what seemed like cold, greasy track conditions.

Is that bit really as fast / unsighted as it was made out?

One thing is for sure, it's not put me off going. Just seemed a tragic set of circumstances to cause it and just glad no one was killed. Hope the people cut out their car was more precautionary.

Shame the guy who took the video didn't have (or didn't think to grab it if he did) a hi-viz top to wave around. Might have got noticed earlier.
    Jason - Oil burner
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOE4nbT5NGY 315bhp dyno run. Finally, 300+
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDUMEte1t50 13.4 second 1/4 @ The Pod

He got over the barrier quick enough, which showed some sense but then left his car on a very bad position. Gulp!
    BMW 123D M Sport. Blacked out windows, leaning baaack...

Is it wrong that my first response to anything video-wise from the 'ring is now to check for either RHD (from inside the car) or UK plates, if the video is from outside the car?

If it passes those two checks the response from me is generally 'phew, not another idiot Brit'.

This was the 15 car stack from the 911 that popped a coolant hose, wasn't it?
    Diamond Hell
    Holiday cottages: coastandcountry.eu
    Woodland camping with Forest Schools: campwight.co.uk

Regular
    Don't people think about the 'what ifs' anymore ?

What if there's a crash when I'm out, what am I going to do? Stop? Where?
    Help? Tend injured? Wave? Carry a fluo vest IN the car, handy immediately?
    Last edited by Dave B; 14-11-2017 at 02:30 PM.
    If a man speaks his mind in a forest and no woman hears him...is he still wrong ?

Split second decisions I guess. At the time he was pretty relaxed and very calm, rather than panicing, fair play to him. Had he managed to get further up the circuit perhaps he could have prevented the accident. He was doing his best for sure. He probably thought he was safe parked where he was. The Porsche accident was happening regardless. Who knows perhaps there were people sat in the broken down car that he stopped from being hurt as a result of the Porsche hitting them, by using his car as a buffer......I doubt it though.

So easy to read things into it when things go wrong. Remember the bikers who hit the Porsche in the foxhole - for instance
    I'm arresting you for murdering my car you dyke digging tosspot

I'm going to go out on a limb here and disagree with what's been said.

If it wasn't for the coolant spill that caused the pile up, he was probably parked in an almost sensible position to warn others and protect people up ahead.

On the outside of the corner, in a line of site that gives the earliest possible notification of a problem.

Just as well he was out of his car and over the barrier quickly though.

At it shows, his car did actually slow others down, but unfortunately not everyone.

If he'd parked up after the initial accident, he wouldn't have been able to warn anyone and despite it being a pretty horrific pile up, it could have been a whole lot worse.

Regular
    ... probably best if I don't type anything. I might speak too much truth again :-)
    "Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal". Henry Ford.

I'm the king of the swingers.
    The jungle vip
    I've reached the top
    And had to stop
    And thats whats bothering me woooah
    Shoop-bee-do dum de dum
    Hang on a mo. Who said anything about stoppping?

Quote Originally Posted by Sim View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and disagree with what's been said.

If it wasn't for the coolant spill that caused the pile up, he was probably parked in an almost sensible position to warn others and protect people up ahead.

On the outside of the corner, in a line of site that gives the earliest possible notification of a problem.

Just as well he was out of his car and over the barrier quickly though.

At it shows, his car did actually slow others down, but unfortunately not everyone.

If he'd parked up after the initial accident, he wouldn't have been able to warn anyone and despite it being a pretty horrific pile up, it could have been a whole lot worse.
    I agree with what Sim said.

It was indeed a ghastly situation... but, in the heat of the moment, I think that driver acted reasonably responsibly.

Sorry to say this; but it's hard to watch that video and not think of Bren...

At least he stopped and tried to do something. Those other cars that crashed were going to crash anyway, in spite of his efforts. Maybe he gave them an extra second of warning to react?

Sad to lose his car? Maybe, but if it was lost shielding squishy humans then so what - it can be replaced.

He got himself over the barrier to relative safety and shouted at others to do the same.

I've read elsewhere that there had been a flag marshal on duty at this spot for most of the day, but they had apparently decided to leave a few minutes early, just before this incident happened.

The police report on the incident notes that cars in TF should be driven within the distance they can see. Clearly some of these were not.
    If the whole world was filled with just animals and David Attenborough, it would be a beautiful place. Unfortunately, it's been overrun by 7.1-billion assholes.

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post

The police report on the incident notes that cars in TF should be driven within the distance they can see. Clearly some of these were not.
    I hadn't wanted to mention this.
    If a man speaks his mind in a forest and no woman hears him...is he still wrong ?

Regular
    Carlisle/South Lanarkshire/ Greenock @ the life on Mars (1970) office...
    Wow.
    That all went wrong from an early stage.
    So many mistakes.

Regular
    What he did would have made more sense if he had a yellow flag. As it was he just wasn't visible enough nor far enough up the road to make much of a difference. At least he was there to tell the other guy to GTFO over the barriers.

+ Reply to Thread