+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bangernomics - Powered by man maths

Could be start of flaky turbo, but I hope it isn't.
    Jason - Oil burner
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOE4nbT5NGY 315bhp dyno run. Finally, 300+
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDUMEte1t50 13.4 second 1/4 @ The Pod

Hey, it lasted 2 months!
    BMW 123D M Sport. Blacked out windows, leaning baaack...

A dead turbo might not be the end of it. I'm no expert, but it looks dead easy to change - it's front and centre as you open the bonnet. I suspect an ebay special will be cheap enough as well. New EGR doesn't arrive until Thursday, so i doubt I'll hear much before next week anyway.

Can you just blank the EGR or unplug?

God knows. My knowledge of anything diesel is only what Mr Google tells me. I hobbled it too the garage and left it there. Doesn't blanking an egr become illegal this year?

Has Mike Solo been round to yours or in the local town by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by jon_r View Post
    God knows. My knowledge of anything diesel is only what Mr Google tells me. I hobbled it too the garage and left it there. Doesn't blanking an egr become illegal this year?
    Possibly, but only if they find it.

Common to take it off clean it out and it be fine. You could put a blanking plate on and have it mapped out but thats up to you. Either way you could put a blanking plate drill a hole in the middle that allows a little bit of gas in and no light but slows down the breaking progress
    Daily - E91 325d M-Sport Touring
    Project - Astra Mk3 with Saab B204 engine (sitting in the garage)
    Track - Suzuki Swift ZC32 Ex Rent 4 Ring

A replacement EGR was only £44 (though i'm still waiting for it...) so at that price I CBA with cleaning the old one.

This was fixed today. The wife put unleaded in it.

We think it managed approx 30 miles before it gave up the ghost. Tank drained, new filter, £20 diesel and she fired straight up. Mustíve had a decent clean through as itís as smooth as ever

£170 mistake. Ah well.

Regular
    This was fixed today. The wife put unleaded in it.
    User error! Glad itís sorted. I helped a bloke push one of those huge VW pickups at the weekend on a forecourt that heíd just put a full tank of unleaded into. It was a diesel so the RAC were on the way to drain it.
    Too many cars...

The mighty 207 continues to rack up the miles.

I had a journey to the coast and back this past weekend which was lovely. Issue was, it was the south coast, and thats a 730 mile round trip. Conscious of this I wanted to get the rear disks and pads sorted. The disks were knackered. Fortunately, along came another 50% Euros sale. £107 later I had 2 x disks (avec bearings) and a set of pads. I also indulged and purchased an air and pollen filter.

I cba to do brakes anymore, so in it went and the guy called later that day. "You need a caliper as well". Arse. Sourcing a 35% discount code, I found a new rear caliper for £86. Sadly it was the wrong one, so I then had to stump up £167 for the correct one. Bastard thing.

It now has new pads and disks all round, but I think i've either glazed the Eicher specials, or he was running short of copper paste as they chime along like a choir under any application of the middle pedal. Annoying.

I managed the filters myself. 2 part pollen filter anyone. £4.20.

Anyway. 3 days, 700+ miles and a very pleasing mpg figure.

Running total now at:

I'm having bad thoughts about scrappage scheming it though.

68mpg!?

Regular
    Glad to see this still trucking on, and that economy is amazing if accurate?
    Too many cars...

I must admit, I have no idea how accurate the digital display is. It spent a large amount of time at 75mpg, but I got bored of trying to drive economically, especially when it's a 6hr journey each way.

I left home with 3/4 of a tank, put in £50 @£1.25.9 a litre and returned home with 1/3 tank left.

There is now worrying clunk from the offside front over sharp bumps, will investigate further!

So that worrying clunk (mentioned above) has persisted. I didn't realise it'd been 2 months, I'm terrible.

I jacked the offside front up last night and as I suspected, it's lost a coil off the bottom off the spring. I yanked it off - the rubber cover was half keeping it in place. Seems to drive fine and the clunk is gone, so no rush to do anything.

I must admit, out of our 4 cars, this is doing the most mileage by quite some considerable margin. It's currently on 184k. I use it for work everyday and it's relegated the Audi to the classifieds.

So that worrying clunk (mentioned above) has persisted. I didn't realise it'd been 2 months, I'm terrible.

I jacked the offside front up last night and as I suspected, it's lost a coil off the bottom off the spring. I yanked it off - the rubber cover was half keeping it in place. Seems to drive fine and the clunk is gone, so no rush to do anything.

I must admit, out of our 4 cars, this is doing the most mileage by quite some considerable margin. It's currently on 184k. I use it for work everyday and it's relegated the Audi to the classifieds.
    Watch the tyre wear. You wouldnít want to throw it out of kilter and babe to stick some new boots on it.

For my current use, a similar banger would be ideal. But when I need a car, I *really* need a car (like a drive to / from an airport) and really donít have the patience to spend my spare time looking after the thing. Itís annoying.

It's never let me down to be fair. 85% of the stuff I've replaced on it I did it as preventative maintenance, but it's always got me to where I need to go.

It's the throw-away nature of it that makes it so endearing. I parked it in the office carpark last week and didn't close the windows all week. Plus, with the spaces so narrow, if someone whacks the door I don't care. I twice had to get dents removed from the side of the Octavia.

Regular
    Great to see this still going. Similarly, I've rarely shut my Volvo windows in about a month either and no one has nicked it, liberating isn't it?
    Too many cars...

+ Reply to Thread