+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Car - towing / low CO2 / 3 kids

Quote Originally Posted by tallchap View Post
    Nice one Simon!

After you've done this on your tax return, the tax man should adjust your tax code for the future, so you'll get the benefit monthly, but you'll still have to a tax return and there'll be an adjustment up or down based on your actuals.

TC.

While I'm there, I think I can claim £4 a week contribution to working from home.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
    So if you have a company car and you spend more on fuel than you get reimbursed you can claim the difference.

Quote: 'You can claim tax relief on the money youíve spent on fuel or electricity for business trips in your company car. Keep records to show the actual cost of the fuel or electricity youíve bought or used.

If your employer reimburses only some of the money, you can claim relief on the difference.'

If you use your own car, well bugger me and call me a goat, it appears you can claim the difference.

Might actually work out better if I choose my own car.

There's a loophole I didn't know about.

By the way, bellends, I'm a chartered accountant but management not financial.....
    In a Company Car, you can only claim tax relief if the reimbursement from your employer is lower than the actual cost of the fuel. You cannot claim the full difference to the IR Approved Mileage Rates. The IR rates are for you to reclaim relief for the running costs of your own car.

However, if you own your own car and use it for company business you can claim the difference between the ppm rate your employer pays and the IR Approved Mileage Rates, as described - my rough calculation last night would net you about £9k, plus you'd have the cash in lieu of the Co Car (which you'd pay tax on at you marginal rate).

Hope that helps? I work for a Lease Co, so we have to provide info in this respect all the time to drivers based on the various schemes we provide.

Cheers,

TC.
    I've done it 'cos Gary told me to.....

Quote Originally Posted by simonsaunders View Post

While I'm there, I think I can claim £4 a week contribution to working from home.
    I do!

And I claim for my uniform & cleaning costs, and equipment, for my volunteer role with the Ambulance Service.

TC.

Edit: Isn't it £4 each day?

In a Company Car, you can only claim tax relief if the reimbursement from your employer is lower than the actual cost of the fuel. You cannot claim the full difference to the IR Approved Mileage Rates. The IR rates are for you to reclaim relief for the running costs of your own car.

However, if you own your own car and use it for company business you can claim the difference between the ppm rate your employer pays and the IR Approved Mileage Rates, as described - my rough calculation last night would net you about £9k, plus you'd have the cash in lieu of the Co Car (which you'd pay tax on at you marginal rate).

Hope that helps? I work for a Lease Co, so we have to provide info in this respect all the time to drivers based on the various schemes we provide.

Cheers,

TC.

I've come to the same conclusion using that logic......

Blimey.

Looks like my own car could make sense after all.

Would need to choose carefully but could be net benefit.

Is the fact I will swap car for car allowance not a factor? I assumed (probably wrongly based on this info) that car allowance meant that CC rules apply for tax purposes.

Regular
    Think so. Ian H is up on this as this is what he does. Ask your company fleet bod for a list as I'm sure they will have one with allowed vehicles. Some companies have emmission restrictions, some have age / max mileage restrictions. Some have both & more.

Hopefully it works out for you
    SteveM owes me £5
    I owe Dan £5
    Steve. Pay the man!

We have 8 years and 80,000 miles so no major drama.

Regular
    So you know all this but still have a company car help thread?

Bloody accountants x
    SteveM owes me £5
    I owe Dan £5
    Steve. Pay the man!

Is the fact I will swap car for car allowance not a factor? I assumed (probably wrongly based on this info) that car allowance meant that CC rules apply for tax purposes.
    The cash alternative is generally paid as an extra lump to your monthly salary so is just taxed via PAYE at whatever rate you are on.

Worth checking that the monthly car allowance of taking the cash is the same as if taking a car. At out place if you take the cash you get £50 less a month than if you opt for a car.

I would get £X as car allowance but it would say that in my payslip.....

I wonder IF you were audited they might say 'hang on, you get allowance which is in lieu of company car, you can't also claim up to the 45p'

I'm not convinced that that wouldn't happen....

Simon - this is new news I've just researched!

I wonder IF you were audited they might say 'hang on, you get allowance which is in lieu of company car, you can't also claim up to the 45p'

I can't see that would ever happen, ours works exactly the same and I don't know anyone at work who gets a car allowance who has had that problem.

We have had issues with people claming travel expenses to travel to the same customers site for over 2 years, but that is different to the whole car allowance piece.

Simon - this is new news I've just researched!
    You'll only get taxed on a CoCar if you have a CoCar stated on your P11D by your employer. If you take the cash, you won't have a CoCar on your P11D. You will pay tax on the allowance via PAYE, so the taxman gets his slice.

Taking the cash allowance in lieu and claiming the approved mileage rates is an accepted practice by the taxman, honest.

You'll only get taxed on a CoCar if you have a CoCar stated on your P11D by your employer. If you take the cash, you won't have a CoCar on your P11D. You will pay tax on the allowance via PAYE, so the taxman gets his slice.

Taking the cash allowance in lieu and claiming the approved mileage rates is an accepted practice by the taxman, honest.
    Understood.

It might change what I do come May.

Understood.

It might change what I do come May.
    This is quite good;

http://comcar.co.uk/cashorcar/

It includes the AMAPS (IR tax relief rates).

I do!

And I claim for my uniform & cleaning costs, and equipment, for my volunteer role with the Ambulance Service.

TC.

Edit: Isn't it £4 each day?
    Hang on a minute can I claim that for being home based ?

I gave up with trying to get tow car to work under out company car scheme it seems 120k over 3 years was killing anything decent.
    Test Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie_247 View Post
    Hang on a minute can I claim that for being home based ?

I gave up with trying to get tow car to work under out company car scheme it seems 120k over 3 years was killing anything decent.
    It is £4 a week or £18 per month maximum, unless you can prove your additional costs were solely incurred due to your working arrangements from home, it appears;

https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-em...orking-at-home

Yep £18 is the flat rate.

...or, you can divide up your home bills V work bills using the HMRC guidance and claim a %age of all bills. I used to doi that but now just use the £18 flat rate.

New forum slogan... "Northloop - We're game for a tax dodge."
    @ThrottleSteerer - Official Northloop Brat Custodian (Flat 4 or Boxer 4?)

Forever in debt to the famous NL Brat relay Team.
    Kent to Aberdeen - December 2016

Northern end of the North Yorkshire Coast
    "Northloop - we're all driving SUVs/4x4s and towing caravans."
    Bikes are Best on the 'Ring. I no longer own one

VW T4 2.5 TDI/Mazda J2-Ltd/Ferguson TEF20/Disco 2 TD5
    1x 4m RIB with 50hp 2stroke outboard, 3x SOT fishing Kayaks, 4 x surf boards

Northloop - £5.37 worth of tax relief based fun per lap.

Ive got a company V8 with the company optioned/fitted kaaz diff,in case I have traction problems on damp roads preventing me getting to work. I also get company funded tyres with vat back.
    Im unsure of the Co2 , but road tax is £220 p/y.

Im considering a new 1 series though as it has spotify integration.I dont care the running gear is horrible cheap. Ill get the smallest diesel engine with the £300 crank pulley that falls off, as long as I can have spotify ill be happy.
    Last edited by pilgrim; 18-08-2017 at 07:39 PM.

My company give me a few hundred a month as a car allowance.

I buy clutter, turn up with it and they roll their eyes.

Basically they seem happy that I provide weird vehicle entertainment for them.

I think it's about time the b*stard ugly SEAT left to be replaced with something stupider.

VED: one of the lower cost line items in running a car - no point getting too bent out of shape over it.
    Diamond Hell
    Holiday cottages: coastandcountry.eu
    Woodland camping with Forest Schools: campwight.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread