+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Test Riding the 2017 Suzuki GSX-S1000 and GSXR1000R

Test Riding the 2017 Suzuki GSX-S1000 and GSXR1000R

Well its been fun

Latest thing these days are the manufacturers road shows. Lucky for me i live very close to a large biker haunt and so we've had a few visit this year. Unfortunately i missed the Honda and Yamaha roadshows, i did however catch both the Suzuki and BMW road shows over the past few weeks.

So first off was the Suzuki one. Book your place online, maximum of two bikes per day. I chose the GSX-S1000 which is the naked butch looking animal, and the all new GSXR-1000R I did think about booking the RR but considered that it would be too much for the road - more on that shortly.

So first up the GSX-S1000....

Good looking, comfy and naked which will keep the speed down nicely.

I now find myself at that age where i'm looking to get away from sportsbikes, they are becoming more uncomfortable due to my age and a good bit less practical, lets face it pillion passengers on the new sports bikes are not really catered for and i do like a good two up ride to the coast.

After a short briefing it was time to get on the bikes and ride out...

Just two outriders, one at the front and one at the back. No overtaking and stay in the order they send you out. This was the first ride out of the day at 9:30 on the Sunday morning .... and it was a good pace too Unfortunately i was on the wrong bike - i should have taken the GSXR out first but i was worried in case the roads were damp and having not ridden a bike for over a year i wanted to ease back into it. Well as usual thats a nonsense, when you've been brought up on bikes and ridden them all your life its just like getting back in the saddle after a couple of weeks off.

Anyway the bike - what a let down! it was alright in a straight line and surprisingly not much wind blast either, even at fast speeds. Engine pulled well but no better i thought than a 1000cc sports bike, even though the engine has been retuned for midrange. Biggest let down was the flow of the bike around corners. There was none. It was like you steered with the handle bars, the front turned and then the rest of the bike followed. Felt very much like it had mismatched tyres, so much so that at the end of the ride i actually checked that they were a matching pair. Not enough rebound damping on the rear shock either, i hit a bump and was almost catapulted out of the seat at one point lol. Glad to give it back, nuff said.

The next test ride was the one i was looking forward to. Time was now 11:15 and glorious sunshine. In fact it had been sunny all morning. After another briefing it was time to mount the new for 2017 GSXR and see what all the fuss was about...

I had tried to swap it for the RR version after chatting to the Suzuki rep but it wasnt to be, it was already booked out. Apparently, the RR version with the all singing external reservoir suspension and quickshifter is around 20% more capable on the road and nicer to ride for it. Never mind, maybe some other time.

Standard R version on the left, RR version on the right....

So anyway, same format as before, lead rider and tail rider, no over taking, ride at your own risk to licence etc.

You know its strange, even before i left the car park the GSXR felt just right, just perfect in fact. Everything about it. The clutch, throttle, footpeg position, sound..... just everything, and it only got better. This second group wasnt as fast the first outing, and increased traffic on the road also meant a slower pace. But having said that i was still able to open the bike up and experience the whole 199.2bhp for myself .... WOW!!! I was and still am three weeks later blown away by the speed and confidence that the bike inspired, i can only guess at how good the RR version is. I pulled out of one particular junction and the road opened up before me, bending slightly to the left, i was lent over following the sweeping bend and opened the bike up in second gear, the front wheel lifted without even trying and hovered above the tarmac, the bike straightened and started to drift towards the center of the road, i rolled the throttle off slightly to bring the front wheel back down, corrected my line and wound the throttle back on ..... and it did the same thing again, so once again i backed off, corrected my line and then re-applied power ....and once again it lifted the wheel meaning backing off for a third time to correct my line, all the time the bike was so composed it really was like poetry in motion, totally unfussed forward motion. The road then straightened i was able to snick third and then fourth before braking firmly due to the quickly approaching bike in front of me. Wow! Amazing.

And all this time the bike just kept on giving me confidence, it just felt so right in every corner, right from the start all the way to the end. Awesome. And i dont use that word lightly. Suffice to say for the next three days solid i racked my brain to find a way to own one (without a PCP deal lol ) .... its on hold for now due to a house purchase, but after that i'm not sure how long i'll be able to hold out. Unbelievable!

If you get the chance then do it, what an experience.

Thank You Suzuk!

*que lots of comments about the size of the end can ;)
    Last edited by RichW; 29-07-2017 at 12:24 PM.
    Besser ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende

I'm not a bike guy so why is the can soo big?

Northern end of the North Yorkshire Coast
    An inspiring write up, I miss my bikes

What do these retail at?

Although I'd feel bad about using a new one as a track schlag.
    Bikes are Best on the 'Ring. I no longer own one

VW T4 2.5 TDI/Mazda J2-Ltd/Ferguson TEF20/Disco 2 TD5
    1x 4m RIB with 50hp 2stroke outboard, 3x SOT fishing Kayaks, 4 x surf boards

Quote Originally Posted by Garv View Post
    Its all to do with the latest Euro laws - noise and emissions. The size of the exhaust hasnt gone down well but it can easily be swapped for some nice aftermarket carbonfibre or titanium

Quote Originally Posted by Tim in Yorkshire View Post
    An inspiring write up, I miss my bikes

What do these retail at?

Although I'd feel bad about using a new one as a track schlag.
    The one that I rode retails at 13,500 Tim - fair bit of money for a track schlag

Apparently the suspension on the better RR model costs 7k to buy seperately yet the bike only costs 2,500 more, absolute bargain no?
    Last edited by RichW; 25-07-2017 at 09:10 PM.
    Besser ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende

Quote Originally Posted by Garv View Post
    I'm a bit out of touch with bikes (might do a day like this though!), but I always admired Suzuki's approach to emissions and what not, from the K5 thou' onwards. Gave you lovely titanium headers and a massive end can, almost apologetically 'yes, we know it looks shit and weighs loads and that you don't care about emissions and that the MoT doesn't check emissions on bikes, but don't worry, 200 and 5 bolts will see you with a nice looking, noisier, lighter end can that you were always going to buy anyway because, well, it's a GSXR and that's what you all do with them'. Just maybe with more punctuation and some Japanese thrown in.

Great review
    "Fortunately, I'd taken a spare Gearbox, Turbo and Actuator, Steering Rack, Driveshafts, ECU, and a Copper Banjo Washer. No welder or spare turbo housing, though" - Nige

I know it's now an indentifying mark, but I'm not that keen on the cyclops headlight design on Suzukis. It seems to work on traditional bike design [single round headlight] but I prefer the lights and front end on Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha etc sports bikes.

Great review Rich many thanks,
    As my user name suggests I am at heart a Suzuki man, I bought a BMW S thou in part because BMW had used a Gixer K5 as the bench mark for their first foray into the world of Sportsbikes , I hoped it would be a worthy successor to the K5, it isn't, just soulless technology, extremely fast soulless technology.
    So like yourself I am looking at the RR, but will give it a year or so for them to iron out the problems and sort the recalls.

Regular
    Great review-a day our like this might even tempt me back onto a road bike.

+ Reply to Thread