+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Joel's 21-26 June trip report

The journey started at 00:00hrs on thursday 21st June as I left Truro to drive through the night to meet the 8am Norfolkline Dover-Dunkirk ferry. An uneventful 7 hours later I was in the ferry queue, and found myself in front of a semi-slick shod Evo IX FQ320 and the Subaru and Golf of Maddog and Maddog Jr. Hmm, I wonder where you guys are heading....

It turns out that Richard, the owner of the Evo, is combining a business trip to Belgium with his first visit to the Ring. He is a trackday regular in the UK, and we arrange to meet up over the coming weekend to exchange pax laps.

Once on foreign soil we all set of at a steady pace, and for some of the way were in convoy with Paul (Alfa 145), Maddog and Maddog Jr.

After a quick stop off at Spa-Francorchamps where there is a Porsche trackday in progress, we eventually make it to the Ring at 4:30pm, leaving enough time to check-in, shower and change before TF starts.

The weather is very wet and after a couple of very slow and slippery laps in the Elise I decide to call it a day. The third member of our travelling group, Andy, arrives in time for dinner at the PK having caught a later ferry crossing.
    If the whole world was filled with just animals and David Attenborough, it would be a beautiful place. Unfortunately, it's been overrun by 7.7-billion assholes.

Friday dawns equally wet and miserable. As the track isn't open until after lunch we decide to go exploring and see what else is happening. We head up to Flugplatz and are pleased to see some industry testing. Result. There are a number of Mercs, BMW's and Nissans in various states of disguise lapping very quickly, including an indecently fast Nissan Micra that was four wheel drifting through Flugplatz for lap after lap :).

Then we walked back around to Hatzenbach.

Then it was over to Breidscheid and the walk up to Werseifen. This Skyline was very quick, and seemed delighted to see us as he beeped his horn and waved on every pass.

After lunch it is time for TF, and by now the weather has improved to the point of being almost dry. The Lotus feels so much better in these conditions and I can start to build up speed. More heavy rain showers through the afternoon slows progress. During one of the many track closures someone decides we should go and pose for the webcam...

It then rained some more so we decided not to risk it on track any more and head up to Bruennchen and Eschbach to spectate until the track closes. While there we notice that Richard has arrived and is bravely taking his first ever laps on the Ring inthe wet, on semi-slicks!

If the whole world was filled with just animals and David Attenborough, it would be a beautiful place. Unfortunately, it's been overrun by 7.7-billion assholes.

Saturday was again a day of wet and dry, but mostly wet.

After a wander around the carpark I went out for a few laps in the morning, but after a scare when I locked a front wheel braking for Breidscheid and nearly met the wall I decided to take a break and spectate until it dried out. Up to Adenauer Forst...

Deciding that I am too lazy to walk up the long hill I work out an alternative route to AF. I goes something like this. Drive into Adenau and take the turning up to Wimbach. At the top of Wimbach turn left when the road goes right, then imediately left again up a narrow track. When the track forks take the left (gravel) fork. This takes you to the bridge over Aremberg. Follow the rough track that runs parallel to the circuit and you end up in the trees at AF. It's a bit muddy but manageable for the Lotus, and only a few meters from the track behind AF.

Spotted some Northloopers, and of course the Ring Taxi is in full swing.

I did some more laps in the dry later in the afternoon, but the track closes early due to an accident. We head off to the PK for the evening. By midnight the mother of all thunder storms has started.

Sunday dawns and there is still thunder in the sky. Thankfully this passes very wuickly and by the time I arrive at the track it is dry and bright. I do a couple of laps in the dry, then spot Richard standing helmet in hand by the startplatz. I beckon him over for a pax lap. We have an exciting dice with a UK registerd BMW. When we pull into the carpark afterwards the BMW driver follows then comes over for a chat. Seems that he ejoyed it too :). After a rest and a cuppa in the Grune Holle we head out for a couple of laps in Richard's EVO. The grip from the A048R tyres is a real eye opener.

Later, we head up to the outside of the Karussel. We had only been there a few moments when a BMW 3-Touring decides to launch itself into the barriers on the exit. We start frantically waving at all the oncoming traffic to warn it, until a biker stops and starts to flag with his yellow vest.

We spot some Northloopers going round

And some other random stuff

Then more spectating at Bergwerk, and more Northloopers

The day finished with more dry laps in the Elise, followed by dinner at the Motorsport Paddock with Paul, Andy and Mr & Mrs Vantastic.

On Monday the track was only due to be open in the eveing, so after a quick recce to see what was happening on track (motorbike rider training) we decided to go to the museum.

After lunch I then decided to take a walk from Bruennchen up the the inside of the Karussel, via the Steilstrecke. Damn, that's a steep slope...

The conditions for TF were perfect, warm dry and sunny. The carpark was half empty as well :). My first couple of laps were interrupted by a nasty looking accident at Klostertal, where a GT3 had clouted the arriers hard. There were plenty of marshalls and recovery crew in attendance. Then my final two laps of the weekend we absolutely perfect; no traffic, no accidents, no roadworks, no rain. Heaven. What a great way to end the weekend's driving.

I ended the weekend with 34 laps completed in the Lotus.

It was also good to meet a few Northloopers; Dave (Pooky), Dave (Davetouring), Dave (Davecantdrive), Handpaper, Steve Gill and Bimmer.

:wave:

The end.

Regular
    34 laps and still running- result!!

only kidding, nice report. :thumb:
    if in doubt, give the VTEC a shout!!!!

Great report Joel. Saw you a few times on track, good lap count!! Good to meet you too, see you there soon hopefully. :thumb:

Some of the best pictures I've seen recently. Lots of arty stuff, well taken :thumb:

F
    BMW 3.0 Z4 Roadster. Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI T2. Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000.

nice report there :thumb:
    Duncan

Easy to introduce yourself to a Northlooper: 'Hi, you must be Dave?'

Nice pics at Bergwerk.

I had stopped at the accident just before Steilstrecke, and remember your car passing :thumb:

Embarassingly though I remember thinking, what was the registration of the pratt in the elise that knocked down the marshall, is that him? :lol:

Not a very good memory as you can see :whistle:

:lol:

:thumb:

Great report and loads of decent pics! Cheers

Originally posted by Pooky@Jul 1 2007, 06:36 PM
    Easy to introduce yourself to a Northlooper: 'Hi, you must be Dave?'

Nice pics at Bergwerk.
    pmsl

Nice report- loving the pics of my car :thumb:

I&#39;m crap with names :( I&#39;d say "are you Pooky, you&#39;re my driver for this lap" <_< ;)

F
    BMW 3.0 Z4 Roadster. Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI T2. Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000.

Regular
    Nice report Joel & some excellent photos as has already been said :thumb:
    SteveM owes me 5
    I owe Dan 5
    Steve. Pay the man!

+ Reply to Thread