View Poll Results: What's the approach to your mortgage?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Forget it until remortgage time

    16 33.33%
  • Overpay

    14 29.17%
  • Invest / save

    3 6.25%
  • Balance overpaying and investing

    3 6.25%
  • Offset

    5 10.42%
  • Mortgage free and luvin' it

    7 14.58%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 154

Thread: Mortgages: Pay down / Save / Offset?

  1. #101
    Regular Steve C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    742
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit View Post
    Steve - you are also looking at it the wrong way round. So youíre saying if interest rates were 10% you would pay the mortgage off early?
    No, I'm not saying that.

    The absolute mortgage rate is irrelevant; rather it is the rate relative to the rate of return on investments. So, if mortgage rates were 10%, I would still not be paying off my mortgage if I could invest cash at a 20% return.

    I am aware of the role interest rates can play in influencing both spending habits and property prices (and their role in economic modelling in general), but that has nothing to do with my point.

    In simple terms, I am talking about arbitrage.
    road: M140i
    track: Boxster
    weekends: Grand Touring

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
    No, I'm not saying that.

    The absolute mortgage rate is irrelevant; rather it is the rate relative to the rate of return on investments. So, if mortgage rates were 10%, I would still not be paying off my mortgage if I could invest cash at a 20% return.

    I am aware of the role interest rates can play in influencing both spending habits and property prices (and their role in economic modelling in general), but that has nothing to do with my point.

    In simple terms, I am talking about arbitrage.
    Arbitrage isnít possible in a mature market, thatís a fundamental economic principle

    So what are you saying?

    Risk is related to return. However the average return - irrespective of risk - over a prolonged period of time is equivalent to the average market rate of return

    So these 20% returns you speak of in a 10% ďrisk free return marketĒ donít exist. What exists is the potential for 20% if choosing a high risk strategy but actually the end result is often the market return because investors opt for a diversified portfolio


    Thus if youíre saying that it is readily possible to achieve above market rate of return, that totally flies in the face of the evidence

    If it was possible to achieve above market rate of return, that would be the market rate of return


    You can try and make short term, high risk returns and beat the market but that is not an investment strategy that most people would ever sign off on because the potential for loss is as high as the potential for gain

    Clearly, it happens, but not in our world

    Mortgages are, by definition, above the risk free rate of return and are generally mapped to be approximated to the average return on the market

    If you can beat the market, crack on. However thatís not what average joe can be expected to do. By definition, of average joe can beat the market return then itís not the market return


    Economics is great in that it all hangs together. You canít beat the system because the system reacts quicker than you can

  3. #103
    Regular Steve C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    742
    You're still missing the point. You can quote all the theories you like but what I am talking about is happening. In the real world. I am living proof.
    road: M140i
    track: Boxster
    weekends: Grand Touring

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
    You're still missing the point. You can quote all the theories you like but what I am talking about is happening. In the real world. I am living proof.
    Of what?

    Thatís what Iím asking.

    If youíre simply saying that you can get better returns from putting money into investments than a mortgage then thatís fundamentally not true as a model because youíre comparing two different types of risks. A return for your bank on a mortgage is largely risk free (at the moment). A 7% return on an investment is not risk free

    If youíre saying you have examples where you have managed to achieve that - great, but thatís simply not the same thing as what Iím saying


    Putting it another way - ďgive me 100k and Iíll come back with either 200k or nothing in 2 yearsĒ is not the same as ďgive me 100k and I can guarantee 200k in 30 yearsĒ


    Thatís what is important to understand here. You can always ďbeat the market rateĒ - but not at the same level of risk

  5. #105
    Regular Steve C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    742
    2% return based on one asset
    4% return based on a portfolio of similar assets

    Based on your theories, is the above realistic?
    road: M140i
    track: Boxster
    weekends: Grand Touring

  6. #106
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Welsh Marches
    Posts
    4,765
    We remortgaged when we moved out to Shropshire 5 years ago. Carried our 0.5% above base rate for life with us and a small mortgage. (Compare that to the 15% days! Yes, I remember them too!). Now reduced mortgage by 50% and could pay that off at any time by selling some cars or selling the cottage that we rent out.

    Don't plan on paying it off early, as it is cheap money and happy spending the money on toys and life, while we still have some health.

    Invested money from sale of parent in laws house into some offices, 3 industrial units and a yard for caravan storage. This should allow us to earn enough to live on and pay the mortgage if ever I can't work. Hopefully, we can sell all the properties and cover retirement (and new house to live in).

    What I have not heard anyone say here, (or maybe I missed it), is choosing to not pay your mortgage off early to allow you to invest the funds in a business. Some, like Rich, have invested in property, but no-one has mentioned investing in a business.

    For me, I love working (again). When I was going over to Germany, I was taking it easy. I was working 2 days a month, but not every month. I was burnt out and needed a break.

    Moving out here has allowed me to get back into work. I started again by setting up the photo booths for the kids and I just carried on when I came over here. I started off part time and is now a full time business that is growing nicely and making far more each year than I could have done by investing in houses. I'll probably continue to grow that before selling it on and adding any receipts into the pension fund pot.

    Never really been a saver, don't have any debts or credit cards, but do have a lump sum set aside for pension or health care.

    BTW, state pension was recenlty calculated to be worth the equivalent of a £500k pension fund, so guess that if you want more than that, or if you are not due it for some time, then maybe you need to start saving soon, or now.

    Good luck to all you youngsters out there!
    Last edited by Trevor; 16-01-2018 at 04:50 AM.
    Cheers
    Trevor

    Mainly walking donkeys or driving Pork.

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
    2% return based on one asset
    4% return based on a portfolio of similar assets

    Based on your theories, is the above realistic?
    Yes - what’s the beta of the portfolio? It’ll be somewhere around market rate of return id imagine

    If someone said “do you want 4% or pay off your mortgage sooner” then it’s also a no brainer for me. 4% is not worthwhile given the potential savings of reducing debt

    Btw, again by definition, you can’t get 2% off a single asset but 4% off similar assets. Similar assets will give similar returns

    You should have higher return than the diversified portfolio from specific assets

  8. #108
    Regular Steve C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    742
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit View Post
    Btw, again by definition, you canít get 2% off a single asset but 4% off similar assets. Similar assets will give similar returns
    Yes you can. That's exactly what I am doing. Practice > theory.
    road: M140i
    track: Boxster
    weekends: Grand Touring

  9. #109
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cornwall, Uk
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit View Post
    Um.... no lol

    You canít revalue a debt based on inflation. And actually itís the opposite

    Liabilities increase under inflation, because the value of the underlying currency paying it back has reduced
    I'm not saying you revalue anything, absolutely £300k != £291k. I used a simplified example to demonstrate a side benefit of our present situation. A relative wealth gain, as a result of a double negative. Inflation can erode the value of a mortgage as it erodes everything else in its path.

    I take your point that the only factual least risk way to 'benefit' from a mortgage is to pay it off early. I just side with Steve C that the opportunity cost of doing so, for me personally, seems higher than other avenues I am willing to explore. And, as an oddity of today's economy, having a large mortgage isn't so bad. With the caveat that you can afford to pay it, and you're not 'wasting' the opportunity that is the low-interest rates.
    About.me - Twitter: @iOlly - Laps: 56

  10. #110
    Depends how much flexibility you need Olly.

    We have an offset mortgage & no intention of paying it off until it matures in Dec 2020. It gives us a cash fund to draw on at any time. This is more important when you're self-employed of course - it helps smooth out cashflow and protect you against events..

    We get the benefits of overpaying with extra flexibility of being able to draw down that money at any time.

    Not easy to find ultra low risk returns that exceed mortgage rates (ours is base + .75). We are pretty cautious. Our money is spread across offset mortgage, pensions, S&S ISAs and cash savings. As you know we're planning a house build at some point, so want to keep our cash pretty liquid at the moment. After that it will go into a drawdown style pension I think.. I don't plan to be working in 5 years time, so our situation is quite different to yours.

    I really must talk to an IFA at some point...

  11. #111
    Regular Floyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Royston Vasey
    Posts
    38,581
    So, after reading all of this, my logic is to overpay some repayment mortgage if I can because the interest rate is low. If I had £1500 a month to fund my mortgage including the over pay, then it's better to do that now as when the interest rates go up, my overpay will reduce if I stick at the £1500 level.

    I am not aware of the high rate of return investments that Steve has access to, so I can't do that. Even if Steve shared this with me, I'm not sure I would risk it.

    I am also increasing my pension contribution a tad, in line with what I won't notice really. All while trying to keep enough for living today!
    BMW 123D M Sport. Blacked out windows, leaning baaack...

  12. #112
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Roundabout Milton Keynes
    Posts
    46,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
    So, after reading all of this, my logic is to overpay some repayment mortgage if I can because the interest rate is low. If I had £1500 a month to fund my mortgage including the over pay, then it's better to do that now as when the interest rates go up, my overpay will reduce if I stick at the £1500 level.
    This is what I am doing whilst possible . Same logic, more comes off the balance while interest rates are low.
    SteveM owes me £5
    I owe Dan £5
    Steve. Pay the man!

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post
    I'm not saying you revalue anything, absolutely £300k != £291k. I used a simplified example to demonstrate a side benefit of our present situation. A relative wealth gain, as a result of a double negative. Inflation can erode the value of a mortgage as it erodes everything else in its path.

    I take your point that the only factual least risk way to 'benefit' from a mortgage is to pay it off early. I just side with Steve C that the opportunity cost of doing so, for me personally, seems higher than other avenues I am willing to explore. And, as an oddity of today's economy, having a large mortgage isn't so bad. With the caveat that you can afford to pay it, and you're not 'wasting' the opportunity that is the low-interest rates.
    No, you've got it completely backwards

    Inflation doesn't "erode" a liability - it increases it.

    If you can't quite 'see' this, just work your example through

    In your example, we would all benefit from being in hyper-inflation.

    So if inflation was 300%, you're saying the mortgage would effectively disappear...

    Incorrect - it's the other way around. The mortgage would triple because inflation reduces the value of currency


    However, this is quite a technical concept and a moot point, so just ignore inflation altogether in your thinking because it's just confusing you. Nobody considers inflation when looking at mortgages.

  14. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    This is what I am doing whilst possible . Same logic, more comes off the balance while interest rates are low.
    Indeed. And the balance (if you took it out when interest rates are low) is higher than what it would be if interest rates were higher (because house prices are higher), so you're basically protecting yourself against when rates increase

  15. #115
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cornwall, Uk
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit View Post
    No, you've got it completely backwards

    Inflation doesn't "erode" a liability - it increases it.

    If you can't quite 'see' this, just work your example through

    In your example, we would all benefit from being in hyper-inflation.

    So if inflation was 300%, you're saying the mortgage would effectively disappear...

    Incorrect - it's the other way around. The mortgage would triple because inflation reduces the value of currency.


    However, this is quite a technical concept and a moot point, so just ignore inflation altogether in your thinking because it's just confusing you. Nobody considers inflation when looking at mortgages.
    Ahhhh, I see where you are coming from... I think you're saying that in my simplified example inflation means £300k would actually be worth £309k at the end of 2017. Because that's how inflation works. Which is true. However, because the mortgage was fixed at 300k in 2016, that's where my theoretical 'gain' comes from. What would have cost you £309k in 2017, you bought for £300k in 2016. The mortgage is fixed at the £value you take the mortgage out at, and inflation is then relative to that fixed value. Which is where my suggested saving comes from.

    So, what have I missed? Specfic to my example, I'm generally curious as this could improve a gap in my knowledge.

    And, I agree, I wouldn't consider inflation when picking a mortgage. My point was this was more of an oddity and side 'benefit' e.g. it's not all bad having a big mortgage under the present circumstance. Admittedly, to really benefit you would need an inflation-linked investment, salary, pension and/or something in a currency that benefits from the weaker pound. That's a whole other massively complex list of assumptions and arguments.

    Edit: Just to add, in the past, when the rate of inflation has increased so have interest rates. To help keep inflation under control. That's why I referred to it as an oddity.
    Last edited by Brando; 15-01-2018 at 03:46 PM.
    About.me - Twitter: @iOlly - Laps: 56

  16. #116
    Regular Ollie_247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    South Buckinghamshire
    Posts
    1,822
    We went with the 5 year fix at low 1.89% we have also taken off 5 years so instead of the last two years we are starting to pay some of this loan off.
    Test Dummy

  17. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post
    Ahhhh, I see where you are coming from... I think you're saying that in my simplified example inflation means £300k would actually be worth £309k at the end of 2017. Because that's how inflation works. Which is true. However, because the mortgage was fixed at 300k in 2016, that's where my theoretical 'gain' comes from. What would have cost you £309k in 2017, you bought for £300k in 2016. The mortgage is fixed at the £value you take the mortgage out at, and inflation is then relative to that fixed value. Which is where my suggested saving comes from.

    So, what have I missed? Specfic to my example, I'm generally curious as this could improve a gap in my knowledge.
    I don't understand a lot of where you're coming from and I think I've confused you further with a couple of comments

    Inflation shouldn't affect anything you're talking about. Inflation is a measure of costs of everyday goods, and has nothing to do with the value of your mortgage. Just remove it from your mind

    If you want to look at restating things in hyperinflated currencies then that's a whole world of pain and i ignored it when i was studying for the ACA and certainly won't be going back there

  18. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by edh View Post
    We have an offset mortgage & no intention of paying it off until it matures in Dec 2020. It gives us ... base + .75


    What happens when it matures? Is that maturity of whole mortgage or just the initial period?

    I've got an offset and I'd have loved that kind of rate - think we're on +1.25 for initial period

  19. #119
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cornwall, Uk
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit View Post
    I don't understand a lot of where you're coming from and I think I've confused you further with a couple of comments

    Inflation shouldn't affect anything you're talking about. Inflation is a measure of costs of everyday goods, and has nothing to do with the value of your mortgage. Just remove it from your mind

    If you want to look at restating things in hyperinflated currencies then that's a whole world of pain and i ignored it when i was studying for the ACA and certainly won't be going back there
    You're no use to me! Dave must have done the ACA too, he's keeping quiet as I guess he has no desire to do accounting for dummies either. You're right it's moot / not a consideration for any action.
    About.me - Twitter: @iOlly - Laps: 56

  20. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit View Post


    What happens when it matures? Is that maturity of whole mortgage or just the initial period?

    I've got an offset and I'd have loved that kind of rate - think we're on +1.25 for initial period
    Dec 2020 will be the end of paying mortgages for us. (Bear in mind I am old so have been paying mortgages since 1988..) We then pay back the capital from our savings... (btw we got this rate when we switched to this mortgage in 2003)

  21. #121
    Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post
    You're no use to me! Dave must have done the ACA too, he's keeping quiet as I guess he has no desire to do accounting for dummies either. You're right it's moot / not a consideration for any action.
    Think Dave is CIMA

  22. #122
    Regular Steve C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    742
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
    So, after reading all of this, my logic is to overpay some repayment mortgage if I can because the interest rate is low. If I had £1500 a month to fund my mortgage including the over pay, then it's better to do that now as when the interest rates go up, my overpay will reduce if I stick at the £1500 level.

    I am not aware of the high rate of return investments that Steve has access to, so I can't do that. Even if Steve shared this with me, I'm not sure I would risk it.

    I am also increasing my pension contribution a tad, in line with what I won't notice really. All while trying to keep enough for living today!
    The investments I make are freely available. Well, some of them you can only access via an IFA but there is no mystery to them.

    In any case you should speak with a good IFA and get them to review your financial situation. The difference between your money working hard for you and not working hard for you is massive when compounded over a number of years.

    Let's say Mr Sad pays mortgage interest at 2% and the mandatory repayment is £1,000 per month but he has another £500 a month available which he uses to overpay his mortgage. Doing this saves Mr Sad £5,000 of interest over a period of time.

    Mr Happy has a similar mortgage situation but uses his surplus £500 per month to invest it at a 4% return.
    He makes £10,000 over the same period and then uses half of gain to pay down his mortgage to "catch up" with Mr Sad's mortgage position. Mr Happy then buys a track car with the remaining £5,000.

    The 4% investment obviously carries a risk but it is a low risk; you'd have to be extremely risk averse to not be comfortable with it.

    Be like Mr Happy. 😆
    road: M140i
    track: Boxster
    weekends: Grand Touring

  23. #123
    You donít need an IFA btw. People keep recommending them but unless youíre paying the IFA by the hour, theyíre not independent anyway - they make their money by selling the products available and earning commission...

    You forgot the tax on the 4% return, and the fact the 2% saving could be 5% in future years... tax free

  24. #124
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cornwall, Uk
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit View Post
    Think Dave is CIMA
    Yeah, he is. I checked Linkedin :D.
    About.me - Twitter: @iOlly - Laps: 56

  25. #125
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cornwall, Uk
    Posts
    4,298
    I recommend seeing an IFA, we've used two...

    1) A highly recommended local IFA. Not that location really matters. Too many things pointed towards going to see them, and they appear to understand Cornish benefits better e.g. the local buy to let markets and managing locals wealth. I used them to sense check our plans and goals and see if we were missing any tricks. With the added benefit that they will help SC if something happens to me.

    2) A Mortgage specialists - To sense check products and see if they can do better.

    2) Has so far saved us a bit of cash and paperwork. 1) Provides a level of cover combined with life insurance, a will, and a good solicitor that means SC and Fern are sorted.

    When dealing with both I did a fair amount of research before and after, to do the best I could. Then listened and researched their feedback. I'm not suggesting dig out the yellow pages and go all in on the first IFA you see. But a good one should be able to help. If not, find another or take comfort in the fact you're doing the best you can.

    Neil, if your advice is that an accountant would be better then I've no exp. Being PAYE I don't have a huge need for an accountant. If a side project ever takes off or contracting becomes my life then I'll hunt out an accountant and report back.

    Edit: Neither of the above pushed a product and all of their fees were totally transparent.
    Last edited by Brando; 16-01-2018 at 07:33 AM.
    About.me - Twitter: @iOlly - Laps: 56

  26. #126
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    9,405
    The last few posts show what a nightmare 'finance' is for those of us without the 'finance' brain. One advocates investing and not overpaying...it's great , another advocates overpaying blah blah. Both appear to have worked or be working for both people.
    See an IFA, don't see an IFA. What a minefield.

    I'm not suggesting dig out the yellow pages and go all in on the first IFA you see. But a good one should be able to help. If not, find another or take comfort in the fact you're doing the best you can
    And I, like you, would have thought seeing an IFA would be good but Mr Hobbit is right, the ones on commision presumably want you to go with product that gives them a better rate ? And how do I know a good IFA from a poor one?...by the time a numpty like me has sussed out he was a bad 'un, my money has halved and a better IFA would struggle to get it back...would he/she?
    Last edited by Dave B; 16-01-2018 at 07:05 AM.
    If a man speaks his mind in a forest and no woman hears him...is he still wrong ?

  27. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post
    Neil, if your advice is that an accountant would be better then I've no exp.
    No, they wouldn't necessarily be better. Simply saying that IFAs are rarely independent and, in my opinion, it's worthwhile doing this stuff yourself because it's so fundamental and I've been on the receiving end of 'advice' from IFAs, mortgage brokers etc and can see how totally misleading it is

    "Luckily" I can simply say "MMMMMMMMM sure, thanks for that but no - can you give me this please, thanks"

    I've only used them to save me paperwork, but I pick the product beforehand.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
    And I, like you, would have thought seeing an IFA would be good but Mr Hobbit is right, the ones on commision presumably want you to go with product that gives them a better rate ? And how do I know a good IFA from a poor one?...by the time a numpty like me has sussed out he was a bad 'un, my money has halved and a better IFA would struggle to get it back...would he/she?
    You only know how good or bad they are when there's a downturn... and no, they can't get it back per se if you're going with people who simply pick the products you go for.

    Some IFAs would manage your portfolio (more like wealth management) - but they should be doing that within your 'risk profile' ... but invariably if there's a "general downturn", the people that make their money back have to take more risk in order to correct for that

    A bit like the guy who needs to keep gambling double in order to recuperate his previous loss

    At the moment, you can invest pretty much anywhere and see some kind of positive return. It's when things start to decline that you see how good (or not) the person's advice was...

    If that 4% return suddenly flatlines or goes slightly negative, when mortgage rates are climbing... you'll be wishing you paid off more of the debt because you can't always exit the previous investment without penalty


    IMO this is another example why the rich get richer. If you can afford to lose a ton of money then you just throw your money at someone who is doing lots of risky things - shorting stocks etc - and chances are they will double your money and earn themselves a load of cash too

    The guy who can't afford to lose even a couple of thousand has nowhere to go, and doubling 3k means very little in the grand scheme of things, so it's not worth investing in anything risky


    The 'general' position at the moment is that we are in a bubble and given all economic cycles are just that - a cycle - it's just a case of when it'll go down and by how much

    FTSE and other stock markets at all time high level, property at all time high (propped up by assets secured against property that may be inherited), people are investing in high-end cars... and now even looking at cryptocurrency for gains. Earnings-to-borrowing ratios are once again approaching dangerous levels... the baby boomers are retiring, they'll smash the NHS, draw pensions from pots that are already in a deficit... and energy prices are predicted to be the next big challenge facing us, particularly if we don't get our shit together around fracking

    ... and what's underpinning it? Do you look around and think society as a whole is booming? The average returns from risk-free investments are next to zero and I see more 'issues' with society being dependent upon low-paid immigrant work than anything else.

    The growth in the UK is coming from sustained foreign investment, many of which are for services rather than manufacturing. Chinese, UAE, and emerging markets in Africa are investing to help the economy along and some are doing very well - but what does that mean for the average UK person? Aside from tech services, a lot of what we export is consultancy / science etc and that's not really of much use for mr average


    I can definitely see where wealthy people could make some serious cash but for most of us, where we're just looking to be comfortable and live fairly stress free, I can see some harder times ahead.

  28. #128
    Regular Steve C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    742
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit View Post
    You donít need an IFA btw. People keep recommending them but unless youíre paying the IFA by the hour, theyíre not independent anyway - they make their money by selling the products available and earning commission...

    You forgot the tax on the 4% return, and the fact the 2% saving could be 5% in future years... tax free
    Some products are only available via IFAs. So, no, you don't need an IFA but you should certainly talk to one if you want to know what all the options are.

    Commission was outlawed 5 years ago: https://www.fca.org.uk/consumers/trail-commission

    There is no tax on my 4% because it is within an ISA.
    The 2% is fixed for 5 years so its not going to magically rise to 5%.
    road: M140i
    track: Boxster
    weekends: Grand Touring

  29. #129
    Regular Steve C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    742
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit View Post
    If that 4% return suddenly flatlines or goes slightly negative, when mortgage rates are climbing... you'll be wishing you paid off more of the debt because you can't always exit the previous investment without penalty
    My 4% investment can be cashed in within a week with no penalties. So, if mortgage rates > investment rates I will simply cash it in and pay off the mortgage.

    That's unlikely to happen for the next 5 years though as my mortgage is fixed at 1.85%.

    It's even more unlikely to happen because the investment is in the mortgage sector so if mortgage rates increase, my investment return is likely to increase too.

    [Have just checked my investments - they are spread across 88 assets (which further reduces the risk level) and the return varies between 3.68% and 5.26% giving an average return of 4.16%.]
    road: M140i
    track: Boxster
    weekends: Grand Touring

  30. #130
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cornwall, Uk
    Posts
    4,298
    Given the last week, an interesting quote from a financial blogger I follow...

    Still, mine is not the fortress balance sheet it once was.

    Effectively, like anyone with an investment portfolio and a mortgage, I can consider my portfolio to be levered up. (Because I could instead use the portfolio to pay down the debt.)

    This was by design, but it would be foolish to deny thereís a price to pay.
    About.me - Twitter: @iOlly - Laps: 56

  31. #131
    It would be weird to invest in a portfolio that reduces if interest rates increase, as thatís doubling down on the risk...

    Do they share their investments, even if by sector?

    If I was using mortgage debt to invest elsewhere then I would be looking to find something with a beta inversely correlated to housing

  32. #132
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cornwall, Uk
    Posts
    4,298
    Part of his 'setup' is heavy on US tech equities: http://monevator.com/weekend-reading...tide-goes-out/

    The quote is a little misleading, he has a mortgage because his monthly income from passive investing and portfolio + blogging and writing about it have enabled him to recently buy a flat. He hasn't taken out a mortgage on an existing property to invest. His point is more the same as you've made previously... Investing when you have the cash to buy outright, or instead of overpaying, is gambling you can beat the mortgage interest.
    About.me - Twitter: @iOlly - Laps: 56

  33. #133
    Hmm, bit of a random read. I donít know many traders but none of the ones I do sound anything like the way thatís written

    I thought we were going to see a bit more of a ďcorrectionĒ than we have done in the last week. At some point i feel the bubble is going to burst and Iím not entirely convinced quantative easing will make any difference, and thereís nowhere to go on interest rates

    Thatís why Iím a big fan of clearing debt. Debt works really well when you are gambling someone elseís money. Itís a bit sucky when itís your own

    Ie if youíre running a business and the economy goes bang, you lose the business but the banks lose the debt they invested

    If youíre investing your own cash and the economy goes bang, your own cash takes a dive in the investments AND you feel the pressure on the mortgage... you get shafted on both sides of the balance sheet

  34. #134
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cornwall, Uk
    Posts
    4,298
    I'd agree with all of that. His blog posts are mostly weak, with the odd gem. The quote made me think of this thread and he does a good job of weekly aggregating financial articles/news.

    I'll do a full review in Jan, I fully agree its less risk to clear debt vs. do what I've done. I just hope/think I've done enough to ride out what could come. Who knows, the fact I'm thinking/worrying about it now would suggest not...
    About.me - Twitter: @iOlly - Laps: 56

  35. #135
    You worry too much..

  36. #136
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cornwall, Uk
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by edh View Post
    You worry too much..
    Yes, yes I do... I'm learning and definitely making mistakes as I go. Not worrying about it is my no.1 goal.
    About.me - Twitter: @iOlly - Laps: 56

  37. #137
    Regular tallchap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Maidenhead
    Posts
    2,345
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Kinghorn View Post
    The question is will they?

    Been looking at this stuff recently with my lot getting very old. My dad for instance has said all along you and your brother will be ok when I go, you'll have my house...... But will we? It only takes a care home to be needed and at the rates they charge - £3k to £8k per month and his house will be sold and gone in 3 or 4 years. The rub is that at the lower end of the scale they will get the same care in the same home on the NHS so why leave your family home at risk? As long as they are happy with £3k care of course.

    Don't leave it too late, consider trusting the property to your kids before you get too old. Leave it to late on and the probability is you won't last ten years, meaning the trust will be null and void and you'll lose it anyway.

    It costs about £1k to set one up. I'll be doing mine shortly.
    How does this work then Gary, whatís the risk/benefit?
    I've done it 'cos Gary told me to.....

  38. #138
    Regular Kev_G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chester - Uk
    Posts
    15,985
    With recent events at home I have been looking more and more into a second property. Currently have mine in my name and Rent the mrs house out that is in her name. In the future we will look at selling one and buying together. Ideally we will sell hers when required / once the tenants have left, as mine will rent easy due to location (I generally get a knock on the door every other month asking if its for sale / for rent regardless) so see no issues with it.


    Kick in the privates last week we have been informed no more staff mortgages as of mid year 2019. No idea why or what's gone on but big blow as the rate was ridiculous like 0.75%!
    Daily - E91 325d M-Sport Touring
    Project - Astra Mk3 with Saab B204 engine (sitting in the garage)
    Track - Suzuki Swift ZC32 Ex Rent 4 Ring

  39. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev_G View Post
    With recent events at home I have been looking more and more into a second property. Currently have mine in my name and Rent the mrs house out that is in her name. In the future we will look at selling one and buying together.
    You realise the one you buy together will attract the extra stamp duty now because for one of you it will be a second home?

    You need to plan how you can declare one as your main home, buy the new one, declare that as your main home and get a refund on the stamp duty

  40. #140
    Regular Kev_G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Chester - Uk
    Posts
    15,985
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbit View Post
    You realise the one you buy together will attract the extra stamp duty now because for one of you it will be a second home?

    You need to plan how you can declare one as your main home, buy the new one, declare that as your main home and get a refund on the stamp duty
    Totally understand the higher stamp duty and extra taxes.
    Daily - E91 325d M-Sport Touring
    Project - Astra Mk3 with Saab B204 engine (sitting in the garage)
    Track - Suzuki Swift ZC32 Ex Rent 4 Ring

  41. #141
    Quote Originally Posted by tallchap View Post
    How does this work then Gary, what’s the risk/benefit?
    I'm no expert but...... If the property is trusted to you more than 7 years prior to the person's death you get it when they pass, as it's deemed to be yours. I'm not sure if they have to pay rent during these 7 years. I think they are supposed to, but could be wrong.

    If they go in less than 7 years the property could still be adjudged to be part of the estate and taxable.

    The other side of the coin is if they need care in later life. If you're past the 7 years the house is yours so it can not be taken into consideration when finances are looked at for care. So they can't make the property be sold to pay for care. As such if they don't have another source of finance the state will provide the care. It's worth bearing in mind you'll be offered I think it's 3 homes and have to take one of them. The risk is it happens before the 7 years is up, then the state can still come after the property to pay for care.

    It's a good while since I've had to consider this stuff and am no expert. It's worth getting proper advice if it's on your mind.
    I'm arresting you for murdering my car you dyke digging tosspot

  42. #142
    Regular Diamond Hell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    On the Isle of Wight
    Posts
    5,829
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Kinghorn View Post
    I'm not sure if they have to pay rent during these 7 years. I think they are supposed to, but could be wrong.

    I reckon they would, as it really has to look like it's yours, not that you're just doing a tax dodge.


    HMRC are rather upping the ante on this sort of thing, what with us not being able to afford to pay for anything from the state, because we have to have such a low corporate tax rate 'n' all.
    Diamond Hell
    Holiday cottages: coastandcountry.eu
    Woodland camping with Forest Schools: campwight.co.uk

  43. #143
    Regular Floyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Royston Vasey
    Posts
    38,581
    The other side of the coin is if they need care in later life. If you're past the 7 years the house is yours so it can not be taken into consideration when finances are looked at for care.
    They know this is happening and they are finding ways to get you in tax another way.
    BMW 123D M Sport. Blacked out windows, leaning baaack...

  44. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
    They know this is happening and they are finding ways to get you in tax another way.
    I'm sure they are, but it doesn't mean you can't still do it and that get away with it currently.
    I'm arresting you for murdering my car you dyke digging tosspot

  45. #145
    On another note which is kind of related to this discussion. Paying an inheritance tax bill. The online forms direct you to the. Gov website where you find the bank details for HMRC. Then you send them a massive amount of money by bank transfer putting a ref number on the payment. Then you hear nothing in reply. You get no receipt, nothing. They don't contact you to send a receipt, nothing. The closest you get to knowing you haven't just sent a huge sum to some guy in India is when several weeks later you get correspondence about probate saying anything owing is less i the figure you have already paid. Although the figure itself isn't stipulated. Kind of scary, but it's the system a
    I'm arresting you for murdering my car you dyke digging tosspot

  46. #146
    Regular ste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    3,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Kinghorn View Post
    I'm sure they are, but it doesn't mean you can't still do it and that get away with it currently.



    It's not 'getting away with it'. It's protecting hard earned finances within the framework the government has set out.

  47. #147
    Regular Diamond Hell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    On the Isle of Wight
    Posts
    5,829
    Quote Originally Posted by ste View Post
    It's not 'getting away with it'. It's protecting hard earned finances within the framework the government has set out.
    And this is precisely the point any corporate interest will make, too.

    Supporting the public sector: it's always someone else's job, isn't it?

    Remind me why the UK spends £48bn per year on debt interest out of our tax receipts?
    Diamond Hell
    Holiday cottages: coastandcountry.eu
    Woodland camping with Forest Schools: campwight.co.uk

  48. #148
    Regular ste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    3,032
    Believe me, I support plenty. I have too, they pay my salary.




    I assume from your post you make additional payments to HMRC to top up their coffers?

  49. #149
    Regular Nige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    30,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Hell View Post
    And
    Remind me why the UK spends £48bn per year on debt interest
    They haven't got a fixed 5 year friends and family low interest mortgage?

  50. #150
    To avoid IHT you need to pass the property down and then treat it as a commercial transaction - i.e. payment of rent at commercial rate, you can't live there or get any other benefit, and there should be no conditions

    i.e. it needs to be a straight transfer

    Income tax should be paid on the rental income and this is the issue really - the IHT limit is £650k so you need to work out how much tax you're going to pay once the house is sold versus tax paid in income tax for at least 7 years. It'd be perfect planning to gift it then die exactly 7 years later, so it'll likely be more

    The bigger issue is gifting a house to avoid getting hit with nursing homes, which can secure your assets to pay the bills.

    You don't want to be doing the gift when someone is getting frail as it's likely to be viewed as something worse than just planning around IHT

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts