+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: V8 Mincer - summer project

Quote Originally Posted by Peach-uk View Post
    Quoting this "I'm not interested in power" comment for future reference....
    I say that with the luxury of knowing it should do 310bhp/320lb ft out of the box so even losing 4% wouldn’t be a great loss. Besides, if it did ever feel pedestrian, ITBs and a remap would give 400+bhp so I think I’ll be ok!!
    E70 X5 40d family truck
    Cayman S - Daily driver of loveliness!
    Mk2 MX5 - Maybe sometime in the next decade to be a Lexus V8 engine riot.......

Already backtracking I see...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Yes it's just a mock up however have you seen that video of the flattened manifold pipes?
    They continued to squash it down and road tested it at various stages and eventually squashed it to next to nothing and it lost 6bhp.
    In the knowledge that this is going to be mostly for the road with the odd track day, maximum power is not the primary objective. I'm more interest in how the power is delivered which is presumably more to do with the mapping?
    Yeah, I wouldn’t worry at all. Ease of creation and routing must be #1 right now.

If you want that extra juice back later, you can spunk a few grand on some crazy manifolds.

Quote Originally Posted by Peach-uk View Post
    Already backtracking I see...
    Good point well presented
    E70 X5 40d family truck

Quote Originally Posted by simonsaunders View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn’t worry at all. Ease of creation and routing must be #1 right now.

If you want that extra juice back later, you can spunk a few grand on some crazy manifolds.
    E70 X5 40d family truck

I'm more interest in how the power is delivered which is presumably more to do with the mapping?
    Not true - the length of the headers will have a big impact on the characteristics of how the engine runs and delivers its power. A squashed manifold where one runner is affected will suffer far less than a manifold where you have a huge imbalance in the length of the initial runners AND where you're stuffing three lots of gas into the fourth pipe at the point where the gas is VERY hot.

With the sample manifold you're trashing the effect exhaust pulse scavenging has on getting rid of the gases and a lot of other things.

I would be aiming for an equal length set of headers (ideally with longer primaries), with one, or two of them ovalised to get past stuff, instead of the abomination in the picture.
    Diamond Hell
    Holiday cottages: coastandcountry.eu
    Woodland camping with Forest Schools: campwight.co.uk

Regular
    Carlisle/South Lanarkshire/ Greenock @ the life on Mars (1970) office...
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Hell View Post
    Not true - the length of the headers will have a big impact on the characteristics of how the engine runs and delivers its power. A squashed manifold where one runner is affected will suffer far less than a manifold where you have a huge imbalance in the length of the initial runners AND where you're stuffing three lots of gas into the fourth pipe at the point where the gas is VERY hot.

With the sample manifold you're trashing the effect exhaust pulse scmavenging has on getting rid of the gases and a lot of other things.

I would be aiming for an equal length set of headers (ideally with longer primaries), with one, or two of them ovalised to get past stuff, instead of the abomination in the picture.

All the above (tuning headers) is for a race engine with a power band. All this talk of running HOT is just scaremongering and really most naughty.

It's a V8- you could take a plug out & not really notice.

Let's take a look at a std manifold, it's not a tuned length, bunch of bananas but is a 'log' where some runners are less than others.

This isn't about scavenging each cylinder of charge but getting past the steering column.
    See the post about losing 6bhp on a squashed manifold.

I'm just so glad this is working.
    Last edited by Fitz711; 08-10-2017 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz711 View Post
    All the above (tuning headers) is for a race engine with a power band. All this talk of running HOT is just scaremongering and really most naughty.

It's a V8- you could take a plug out & not really notice.

Let's take a look at a std manifold, it's not a tuned length, bunch of bananas but is a 'log' where some runners are less than others.

This isn't about scavenging each cylinder of charge but getting past the steering column.
    See the post about losing 6bhp on a squashed manifold.

I'm just so glad this is working.
    Agree with Fitz. The design is very similar to stock mercedes m113 manifold. Increasing the pipe diameter just after the join point where the three meet the fourth would be a good idea if there is room.
    Northloop.co.uk - at the forefront of political debate since Tuesday.

Could be ceramic coated too to reduce temps.
    BMW 123D M Sport. Blacked out windows, leaning baaack...

Regular
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m1...nOZri9WULl9MM:

Manifold looks no worse than the Mercedes 55 AMG ones, they're good for 350bhp+

I'm pleased this thread is causing debate if nothing else!

As previously stated, my spannering skills are so limited that I have to rely on others.
    No it's not ideal nor pretty (although the above was just a mock up) however a solution has been found which has stumped two previous engineers. This won't be a highly tuned race engine so absolute specific output is not relevant, however after three years you'll appreciate that I just want the bloody thing to work!
    E70 X5 40d family truck

Wink

It will be ok
    SILVIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHHH S14!!!!!!

however after three years you'll appreciate that I just want the bloody thing to work!
    After three years, I'd want it to be done right
    Diamond Hell

After three years, I'd want it to be done right
    Pedant!
    E70 X5 40d family truck

Pedant!
    Oh no, a real pedant would want it to be done "correctly".
    "Fortunately, I'd taken a spare Gearbox, 5th gear cog (hidden), Turbo, Actuator, Banjo Connector, Steering Rack, Driveshafts, ECU, 57-51mm silicone reducing elbow and a Copper Banjo Washer." - Nige

Probably a question you dont want to answer, but will the total build cost now exceed the cost of a full FM kit and LS engine?
    Back in clutter

Quote Originally Posted by pye21 View Post
    Probably a question you dont want to answer, but will the total build cost now exceed the cost of a full FM kit and LS engine?
    No Ian but it will be an £11k project......... however think what I could have bought instead I'm still sone way cheaper than a decent engined Caterham.
    E70 X5 40d family truck

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Mac View Post
    Oh no, a real pedant would want it to be done "correctly".
    .... or even completed correctly
    E70 X5 40d family truck

Excellent

Not quite the standard looking sleeper/Q car look I'm after. It I bet it's quick!!
    E70 X5 40d family truck

Dropped in to see the car on the way home from work last night.
    Mixed news but progress being made!

Perhaps unsurprisingly the chassis legs have rusted so rather than try to patch them up I’ve decided to fit new ones. It’s a relatively good time to do it project wise but now they’ve taken out the whole front end/drivetrain/axle etc I might take the opportunity to refresh everything we can now easily access! Replace or sandblast and powder coat wishbones, replace bushes etc.
    V8 MX5 pics by Tony Eyles, on Flickr

Other than that it’s all good news, they’ve completed the rear end by fettling and installing the custom prop, they’ve fabricated a new air intake pipe and hope to have it all running before Christmas.
    V8 MX5 pics by Tony Eyles, on Flickr
    I need to source a cat back 2.5” exhaust and a couple of ancillaries that got lost between Bromley, Winchester and here, but otherwise it’s cracking on
    Last edited by Tony; 02-12-2017 at 12:45 PM.
    E70 X5 40d family truck

I watch some you tube fella called Taylor Drifts if you have not heard of him. He has a turbo'd miata and is now doing a LS swap and aiming for under 10,000 dollars. Some of the kit stuff he has is great and hes doing a in depth build diary on it. Might be worth a watch
    Daily - E91 325d M-Sport Touring
    Project - A Need for Swede (sold for parts)

they’ve fabricated a new air intake pipe and hope to have it all running before Christmas.
    Have you seriously again forgotten to ask 'which Christmas?' when a garage tells you this?
    Diamond Hell

Have you seriously again forgotten to ask 'which Christmas?' when a garage tells you this?

F*ck it - when will I ever learn??
    E70 X5 40d family truck

+ Reply to Thread