+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Fabrication God - Celica GT-Four into Proper Mini

Quote Originally Posted by Andy C View Post

Golf on ITB's. How easy is this???? HOw long before it ran right? And its only changing one throttle body for a bank of other throttle bodies. 2 years of frustration? Ish?
    Those ITBs ran perfectly in my car for many years...
    VW Golf MK2 16v build here
    996.2 Carrara 4 Scirocco MK2 GT2
    Skoda Yeti 4x4 150

Regular
    Eek... I remembered the welding on the Manta was dodgy. I had forgotton just how shit someone thought was acceptably finished and roadworthy. And worth being paid 100 euro and a Mig set...

.... so although BoM have taken 4 years or so to date. It remains far far better thought through, and exponentially better executed than the collective efforts of every designer at BL.

In my own struggle against Christine the M3. I have a cunning plan :-) Instead of using machinists (that don't) to make simple wossnames from our rural backwater devoid of any machines. Pieces of metal are being cut in Istanbul. There is a deal involved - seconds off VLN times for pieces of stuff for projects. Please let this work. I am bored of asking germans to do anything.
    "Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal". Henry Ford.

I'm the king of the swingers.
    The jungle vip
    I've reached the top
    And had to stop
    And thats whats bothering me woooah
    Shoop-bee-do dum de dum
    Hang on a mo. Who said anything about stoppping?

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmudge View Post
    Those ITBs ran perfectly in my car for many years...
    Yes, but then Dave did something/and or something failed and it took a very long time to deduce the problem and get it fixed. I seem to recall this involved sending quite a lot of time and money getting help from experts who took quite a long time (several visits) and money to fix. Lots of complicated solutions were proposed. Then a new TPS was fitted, right?
    "Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal". Henry Ford.

I'm the king of the swingers.
    The jungle vip
    I've reached the top
    And had to stop
    And thats whats bothering me woooah
    Shoop-bee-do dum de dum
    Hang on a mo. Who said anything about stoppping?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
    Eek... I remembered the welding on the Manta was dodgy. I had forgotton just how shit someone thought was acceptably finished and roadworthy. And worth being paid 100 euro and a Mig set...

.... so although BoM have taken 4 years or so to date. It remains far far better thought through, and exponentially better executed than the collective efforts of every designer at BL.

In my own struggle against Christine the M3. I have a cunning plan :-) Instead of using machinists (that don't) to make simple wossnames from our rural backwater devoid of any machines. Pieces of metal are being cut in Istanbul. There is a deal involved - seconds off VLN times for pieces of stuff for projects. Please let this work. I am bored of asking germans to do anything.
    What machine work do you need doing?
    SILVIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHHH S14!!!!!!

I agree it's being drawn out now and seems to have project creep... don't they all though with time

Something to remember is that these guys run a garage (quite local to me) and all of the attention via YT is helping promote their business.
    Why would they rush to end it
    Weekend/Track Car - Lotus Elise S1
    Daily drive - Mini Cooper SD

I see it more as seizing the opportunity to get everything exactly right before sending if off for paint.
    If I were building* my dream W201, that's probably how it would go.

*well, paying Singer Vehicle Design to build what with me having no technical or fabrication skills whatsoever
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Benz
    Nige would be turning in his shed
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige
    Have you seen my bottom nuts?

Last edited by crossie; 02-10-2018 at 03:54 PM.

Well, that was disappointing.

I actually enjoyed that one, so much so its sparked an interest. I stopped watching after Episode 12 hundred and something.

I might actually go back and catch up, you tube casting to the TV is a gift
    Track: 1992 Mitsubishi Evolution 1 RS 1002kilos @ 300Bhp
    Classic: 1985 BMW E28 M535i
    Daily: Skoda Octavia Combi vRS

Car electrics always scared the crap out of me. They look a lot less intimidating out of the car though, planning a loom like that on the bench must be far more enjoyable than fixing stuff in situ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Benz
    Nige would be turning in his shed
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige
    Have you seen my bottom nuts?

I’m still loving it.
    I've done it 'cos Gary told me to.....

^^ me too

The fact that episodes only appear once in a blue moon adds to the appeal for me. And I enjoy electrickery
    Chris
    The older you get, the faster you used to be.....

Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    Well, that was disappointing.
    Why?
    Thordur Magnusson
    Road - E39 M5 Twin SC
    Track - E30 M3 S85 - build in progress.....

Quote Originally Posted by bimmer View Post
    Why?
    I`m struggling to see why myself. It got to the end and I was a bit `meh` about it all.

I find little things frustrating and others fantastic. How big does the battery plate with the studs need to be? It`s bloody huge for what it is. Why no grommet where the cable passes through the chassis leg. I know they are removing it for painting, but some people will watch and not realise that.

Other stuff, like testing the whole loom before putting it in the car and thinning it with the proper tool is great and absolutely the best way to do it.

This is a great showcase for them and I gather they`ve had a lot of work on the back of it and only get weekends to work on this. So perhaps the amount of faffing about they seem to do in some episodes is partly to keep the project ticking along at a nice steady pace.

Plus the fact they're getting $6500 per episode in Patreon donations..... (according to a thread on PH)

About a million people moaned in the comments about the lack of a grommet

Quote Originally Posted by GVK View Post
    Plus the fact they're getting $6500 per episode in Patreon donations..... (according to a thread on PH)

About a million people moaned in the comments about the lack of a grommet
    wow

Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    wow

That's right a million people

Isn't Patreon a monthly thing? So it's beneficial for them to keep it going for as long as they can if they get that sort of money from it...
    RS250 Cup.

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by -Jamie- View Post
    Isn't Patreon a monthly thing? So it's beneficial for them to keep it going for as long as they can if they get that sort of money from it...
    Depends. They're doing it per video. Others is a monthly thing. I guess if you're chucking out regular content then asking folk to pay per month makes it a little more desirable, but if your content is fleeting then per video makes more sense.

I watched the previous episode, was alright to have on in the background. I have little interest in the project really, but glad they're still plugging away at it. Really not sure what sparked so much interest?

"Entertaining Brits make odd ball car much more complicated than it needs to be?"
    Starlet GT - Build Thread

+ Reply to Thread