+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New York - what is worth a look?

New York - what is worth a look?

So we are off to NYC in a couple of weeks for 5 nights, neither of us have been before and we are wondering what should be at the top of our list for things to see/do/places to eat? I know a fair few of you have been and I was wondering if you could give us a few recommendations?

So far the only things we have said we want to do is a show on Broadway (most likely the Lion King) and go and see the USS Intrepid.
    Mini Cooper S

my friend just got back. You can buy a ticket before you go that allows you into tourist attractions cheaper.

eg -

This ticket is about 100-200 each and allows you into say 5/6 attractions.

The empire state building is more than that each on its own!!!
    Daily - Lean FR 1.4 (150) 5F
    Project - Astra Mk3 with Saab B204 engine (sitting in the garage)
    Track - Suzuki Swift ZC32 Ex Rent 4 Ring

As Kev suggested, it's best to buy tickets in advance to avoid queuing at places like the Empire State Building. Last time we went there we turned up on a whim and waited for an hour just to buy tickets. That's not fun.

If you have time and like walking, you can start at Battery Park and wander up through Manhattan on foot, stopping off at places like Greenwich Village, etc. etc. Lots of cool stuff to see, places to eat, etc. download a map and plot a route.
    "Fortunately, I'd taken a spare Gearbox, Turbo, Actuator, Banjo Connector, Steering Rack, Driveshafts, ECU, Wideband sensor, 57-51mm silicone reducing elbow and a Copper Banjo Washer." - Nige

Go to the empire state late - after dinner.

Book the ground zero tix ( free ) well in advance if you want to see it.

H liked Tiffany's , Combine it with a walk round Central Park and a visit to the Apple Cube which is right next door.

Don't miss Shake Shack next to the Flatiron building for burgers, and Magnolia Bakery for cupcakes.

The Highline is also really nice for a stroll.

Brooklyn ice cream factory on Fulton Ferry Landing ( across brooklyn bridge ) if its a nice day... views across to Manhattan...

Smith & Wollensky's for steaks , really very good.

Bubba Joes in TriBeCa good for lunch .
    Last edited by stevem; 11-03-2013 at 07:03 PM.
    Simon no longer owes me anything, Dave does though.
    Floyd probably owes me at least twenty with the interest rolling up...

Regular
    It's a fantastic place

I'd recommend the Rockefeller Center (Top of the Rock) over the Empire State Building.
    Better views in my opinion - especially as you can see the Empire State building, not something you can do while you are on top of it

Grand Central for a look, lunch down stairs.

Macy's for a shop, take your passport for discounts.

Steak - Keens, Peter Luger, Strip House.

See what is on at Madison Square Garden while you are there, time before last we got basketball tickets.
    Last time we caught the train to New Jersey for some Ice Hockey.

All above, plus...

There's loads of good food everywhere, some outstanding restaurants around Washington Square.

Bleeker St. NY's Camden - lol

The Slaughtered Lamb Pub - American Werewolf - some great memorabilia if you can find. I can't remember where it is.

Liberty is worth a look, but it might be worth going to Battery Park and getting on a harbour tour as you get to see a lot of stuff at once.

If you have a car, go to Jersey for Sopranos sight seeing. :-)

The big bronze bull on Wall St (?)

Ground Zero is very humbling.

oh and you cant go to the statue of liberty as thanks to hurricane sandy its closed off still :(
    Daily - Lean FR 1.4 (150) 5F
    Project - Astra Mk3 with Saab B204 engine (sitting in the garage)
    Track - Suzuki Swift ZC32 Ex Rent 4 Ring

I went over the christmas period and got a city pass which cost 59 and got us into 6 attractions

These were :
    Empire State Building
    Top of the Rock
    Met Museum of Modern Art
    Natural History Museum
    2 hour tour of the islands including statue of liberty
    Museum of Modern Art

Also worth a visit is Times Square for the shops and atmosphere , but have a lot of people there trying to sell you CDs and artwork etc.

Central park is a nice walk to break up a couple of hours and some of the museums are near by.

Broken record, but Top of the Rock is great. Good augmented reality app you can get for free that will show you what you're looking at. I'd do the Empire State too, but definitely get the queue jumper ticket. It ain't cheap, but it's worth it if you can't stand queues.

When I went last year, I did the Rockefeller art tour on a combined ticket with the Top of the Rock. It's a bit different, but gives a really good insight into the story behind Rockefeller Plaza and some of the things you wouldn't notice otherwise. This was the tour

Highline is good, leaves you at Chelsea market which is a nice place to eat and has some interesting shops and architecture to explore.

One thing I really did enjoy was a guided bike tour around Manhattan and Brooklyn with Bike the Big Apple. I did the Secret Streets tour, which wasn't strenuous, but you cover an awful lot of ground and see things you either wouldn't notice, or wouldn't even know to look for. The guide I had was really good too, and could answer all the questions thrown at him.

Speaking of Brooklyn, if you're at all interested in such things, the Brooklyn Brewery do cheap factory tours and tastings but they need booking in advance. They also do a really cool affair on a Sunday lunchtime where they open up one of the building's rooms, and hold an indoor picnic. You bring food and friends, they supply the beer. Right next door is the Brooklyn Bowl. Part bowling alley, part live music venue, part cool hangout. The fried chicken is really, really good, but if there's a band playing you may have to pay a cover.

On a food note, if you fancy a good burger, try Bare Burger for good burgers and sides and big shakes. One little hidden treasure is Daisy May's BBQ. It is really not fancy (or that expensive!) but the BBQ is second to none, and the awards in the communal dining room are testament to that. Forget the UK rack of ribs with scraps of meat inbetween, this is one or two rib bones, with a thick layer of meat on each, dyed pink with wood smoke, and with a blackened crust where it's been cooking long and slow for hours and hours and hours...

Anyway.

Oh, and the cobbled streets of Soho are good. Both Nike and Adidas have their somewhat more conceptual stores there, alongside people like Taschen and small local coffee houses.

Plus if you fancy a boat trip, the Staten Island ferry will give you a ride out across the Hudson, past the Statue of Liberty and back for free!

Most of all, walk. Stop. Look around. There is so much to see and do. You'll be amazed at what you stumble across.
    Words & Pictures: Drive Cult

Quote Originally Posted by unzippy View Post
    It's a fantastic place

I'd recommend the Rockefeller Center (Top of the Rock) over the Empire State Building.
    Better views in my opinion - especially as you can see the Empire State building, not something you can do while you are on top of it

Grand Central for a look, lunch down stairs.

See what is on at Madison Square Garden while you are there, time before last we got basketball tickets.
    Last time we caught the train to New Jersey for some Ice Hockey.
    I echo all of these points...

Top of The Rock is a much better experience than ESB.

Grand Central is a lovely building. And the cheesecake place (Juniors) on the lower level is awesome.

MSG for the NY Rangers. Buy tickets on the Rangers website and then pick them up via Will Call. Season ticket holders sell their seats via the Rangers website so there are always plenty available.

Central Park is lovely to wander around and take a break from the city.

China town is an experience. Mind, if you head to Canal St you can take your pick from Chinatown or Little Italy for some decent eateries.

Make sure you take a wander over the Brooklyn Bridge too.

Regular
    Brooklyn Heights Promenade gives you a pretty neat perspective of the island.

You can't fail to have fun in NYC, the place is really, really cool.

I picked up a NFT guide after someone suggested them, I think that might have been n/b. But it was really useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I picked up a NFT guide after someone suggested them, I think that might have been n/b. But it was really useful.
    Agreed, as a companion for a guide book though, not a replacement...

Regular
    As I remember places, mainly eateries I'll keep adding them here.

If you like cookies, go here http://www.levainbakery.com/ (epic, but expect to wait in line outside, they're that good) You'll be in walking distance to the park, so take your cookies with you and go for a stroll.

Regular
    Agree with everything already said, but I didn't see Ellis Island mentioned which we found fascinating. Well worth a visit and you can see other stuff from the ferry too, statue of liberty etc.

Here's a pic I took when there some years ago

Too many cars...

go watch a basketball match i was gutted as we had booked tickets on last visit but the strike was on, so we went and watched a Giants game instead.

only thing i ever recommend to anyone going is take a pair of comfortable shoes as its not a relaxing break. Loads of great places for Breakfast at the top end around 52nd.

i try to go every two years, personal favorite so far has been week before christmas.

Regular
    I'm going in July so I'll bookmark this thread
    If I could have all the money back I have wasted on cars, I would waste it on a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I'm going in July so I'll bookmark this thread
    Baseball game for you then.
    Simon no longer owes me anything, Dave does though.
    Floyd probably owes me at least twenty with the interest rolling up...

Wow! Lots of suggestions, thanks! I will definitely look into the passes and Top of the Rock seems a pretty unanimous one to be on the list. Keep the suggestions coming, they are really helpful
    Mini Cooper S

We got back from our trip to the States a couple of days ago and we had a brilliant time. Thank you so much for all of the suggestions, it really helped a lot when we were deciding what to do Now that we have a decent search function and there is the potential for this thread to be used for trip planning by others, I though I would add a couple of photos from the trip and the bits we thought were worth a look.

On the numerous recommendations from NL the Rockafeller Centre was our first stop. We did the walking tour which we thought was well worth it as it covered lots of things we would have missed.

View looking Downtown from Top of the Rock

View looking Uptown, towards Central Park

On the recommendation of stevem of going up the Empire State after dinner, we decided to get the double access pass and go back to Top of the Rock at night. We both agreed this was a good move

We walked through Times Square numerous times during the trip and although it was always mobbed, I liked it because there was so much going on

We also decided to spend a day Downtown, the first stop was a subway ride to Brooklyn with the intention of walking over the Brooklyn Bridge. The plan changed quickly when we got off the subway to find it had started snowing, so we settled for a cab across it instead From there we headed to Ground Zero. The rubbish weather and having stand and queue for 45mins in the snow probably tainted our view of the 9/11 memorial and although it is without a doubt a very important place, we said it perhaps wouldn't be on the list of must see things to do. I think I had gone with the wrong expectations and had been hoping for more information about the event/how it effected the people of New York/effected the city, in reality it is a very beautiful memorial but with no information provided

After the 9/11 memorial we headed over the Wall Street and took a wander.

On our final day we head over to Grand Central Station, which was on a wonderful building

After the recommendations from here we headed down to Juniors in the food hall, which was awesome. From there we walked all the way up 5th Avenue. According to Steve Tiffany's was closed so unfortunately he couldn't buy me a lovely present From there we took a wander through Central Park and then up to hunt for the Levain Bakery, which Tim had mentioned. We walked around for about 20mins looking and eventually gave up, only to get back to the hotel and google earth it to find we had been stood right outside it but missed it because it was on the basement level

We also went to see the Lion King on Broadway and for me it was the best theatre production I have ever seen, well worth the $400 price tag We also hit the USS Intrepid which was cool, perhaps the highlight was the tour of Concorde which proved very interesting. Perhaps the most sobering fact mentioned was that 40 of Concorde's frequent flyers died in 9/11, to me that sounded like an awful lot and put 9/11 into a bit more context.

In terms of food we had some pretty rubbish luck at the start, very expensive for very poor food. It improved towards the end (coincidently as I started deciding where we ate ). We went Keens Steakhouse which had fab food and a really good atmosphere, we both said it reminded us of the PK. We also went to Magnolia Bakery a couple of times, where Steve became a cupcake convert. On our last night we also found a brilliant little pizza place called Capizzi about 10mins walk from Times Square.

We really enjoyed our trip New York and liked the city, however our conclusions were that it was bloody freezing and would rather go back in summer

A couple more pics

Last edited by Zoe Sherratt; 08-04-2013 at 10:03 PM.
    Mini Cooper S

Regular
    Glad you had a good time in the city, and a shame you couldn't find the bakery, erm, I should have said it was at basement level really, my bad.

Regular
    Bloody awesome - glad you liked it and enjoyed Keens

I need to save to go back

Excellent stuff.

Bear in mind that it can get very hot in Summer. I went in June and sweated a lot. The subway stations get very hot and humid, and the temperature shock of stepping into a chilled air-conditioned train caused many a sneezing fit. However, this is a very good way of creating personal space.
    "Fortunately, I'd taken a spare Gearbox, Turbo, Actuator, Banjo Connector, Steering Rack, Driveshafts, ECU, Wideband sensor, 57-51mm silicone reducing elbow and a Copper Banjo Washer." - Nige

To be fair Tim, we should have looked it up before we went and not wandered about aimlessly for 20mins
    Mini Cooper S

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Sherratt View Post
    To be fair Tim, we should have looked it up before we went and not wandered about aimlessly for 20mins
    I was being nice, you two are supposed to be smart people, I sort of expected more

I'll echo what Neil said about the heat in summer, I've been in September it was still nice and warm, but bearable.

Glad you enjoyed Juniors. We always go back whenever we visit.

I'd echo not going in the height of summer. First time I went to NYC was in August and the heat was intense and just made the whole wandering around sightseeing a tad uncomfortable.

I much prefer to be there Dec / Jan / Feb time when it's cold but clear. Plus NYC around Xmas / New Year time is just a lovely place to be

Regular
    Sounds like you had a great time, excellent photos too - makes me want to go back
    Too many cars...

Nice pictures Zoe
    I'm arresting you for murdering my car you dyke digging tosspot

Found this amusing and informative video, thought it might belong in this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LmPBPWHJu4
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Benz
    Nige would be turning in his shed
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige
    Have you seen my bottom nuts?

Definitely a place on the 'to-do' list, and one of those place where a little knowledge goes a long way to avoiding some of the tourist traps, thanks chaps!

Last edited by Gary Kinghorn; 04-10-2013 at 06:32 AM.
    I'm arresting you for murdering my car you dyke digging tosspot

Instead of starting a follow-up thread to Californification, I thought I'd post any and all New York adventures in this thread.
    LA was a world away from our life in the UK, a proper foreign odyssey/oddity - but this feels more like London with (mostly) American accents. Busy busy place with more work than play, so no real need for a personal travelogue from me here. But anyway...
    The weather's all any New Yorker can talk about right now. This place always has pretty extreme summers and winters and I've been in NYC and Long Island during a few frozen Januarys before, but to me this is a new kind of cold. Leaving the 85-degree heat in Venice Beach last week to find myself wearing thermals and trudging through snow this week has been a bit surreal!
    We're staying in Tribeca (the Triangle Below Canal street) for now, but apartment-hunting practically every day.
    Nice view here, changing from this

to this

to this in a day or so.

The streets are now blanketed with snow, and it's effing cold.

See what I mean about it feeling a bit like London? This is SoHo (South of Houston street), and tbh it felt a lot like being on Great Marlborough Street in That London.

Still settling in (to a degree), but the wife and I have been here for work many times in the past, so it doesn't have that 'brand new start' feel that LA had.
    On the positive side, we already have plenty of friends here, both Americans and Brits

Just don't move to Dowisetrepla.
    If the whole world was filled with just animals and David Attenborough, it would be a beautiful place. Unfortunately, it's been overrun by 7.7-billion assholes.

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    If I could have all the money back I have wasted on cars, I would waste it on a car.

Had to look that one up. Very good
    There's a part of Brooklyn called Bedford-Stuyvesant, known as 'Bed-Stuy'. I asked if that meant 'Bed-sit in a Pig-sty'. The estate agent (sorry, 'Realtor') said it didn't.

Regular
    Looking forward to updates, Neil. Hope it all works out well. I love New York visited a few times in December over the years and it was absolutely freezing cold, blanketed in snow, but such fun
    Too many cars...

Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    Looking forward to updates, Neil. Hope it all works out well. I love New York visited a few times in December over the years and it was absolutely freezing cold, blanketed in snow, but such fun

Been twice in February - no snow both times :(
    Besser ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende

Quote Originally Posted by N/B View Post
    The weather's all any New Yorker can talk about right now.
    That and 'Hey, I'm walkin' here, I'm walkin' here!'

Good luck Neil, would love to live there for a while! Are you looking in Manhattan, or tempted to join the young things in Williamsburg? And if you're over that way, Brooklyn Bowl fried chicken!

Pioneer of the Northloop lunge
    Daily: Ford Kuga 2.0 tdci - Family wagon
    SteveM owes me 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ratcliff View Post
    Are you looking in Manhattan, or tempted to join the young things in Williamsburg?
    Looking in Brooklyn, but not specifically Billyburg. If something came up there we'd consider it, but so far the pickings are slim...

"Lookin' in Brooklyn" sounds like a good thread title. Certainly better than "Harlemisation" or "Bronx'd".

And definitely not 'Looking at Queens'

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ratcliff View Post
    And definitely not 'Looking at Queens'
    Says the bloke who orders a Tall Dark Skinny Extra-hot Colombian at Starbucks

i went on the 1st jan when it dropped a little snow in one night

Sat here watching the local news, it transpires that a number of homeowners and landlords here are being fined for not shovelling the recent snow off 'their' sidewalks within four hours of snowfall ceasing (I'm pretty sure that stretch of pavement in front of their house belongs to the city?). The fines range from $100-$350 a time. Turns out the sidewalk is the city's property, but the homeowner's responsibility. Can't see that working in the UK
    Last edited by N/B; 31-01-2014 at 12:38 AM.

Ye olde townshippe of Brooklyn, earlier today.

Sat here watching the local news, it transpires that a number of homeowners and landlords here are being fined for not shovelling the recent snow off 'their' sidewalks within four hours of snowfall ceasing (I'm pretty sure that stretch of pavement in front of their house belongs to the city?). The fines range from $100-$350 a time. Turns out the sidewalk is the city's property, but the homeowner's responsibility. Can't see that working in the UK
    Same deal here. And Germany too, I think.
    If the whole world was filled with just animals and David Attenborough, it would be a beautiful place. Unfortunately, it's been overrun by 7.7-billion assholes.

Ye olde townshippe of Brooklyn, earlier today.
    [/IMG]
    Are Bonnie & Clyde in town? Nice motor!

Same deal here. And Germany too, I think.
    Yip, Michaela told us this the last time we were over.

Most has been said above^^

If you can get to see a Basketball game at Madison Square Garden, please do so! It was absolutely amazing, even for the non-sporting people, as the atmosphere etc is great.

New York City has put up its first few Speed cameras. They're unmarked, and the city doesn't appear to have issued a guide as to where they are. They've issued over a thousand tickets already. I have a feeling there'll be massive opposition to them because of their covert nature (and rightly so).
    When Red Light cameras were installed in Hollywood (the penalty for being caught was something like $475), the moneyed people who live there moaned so loudly that the city apologised and removed them all. Can you imagine that happening in the UK?
    Last edited by N/B; 31-01-2014 at 12:22 PM.

+ Reply to Thread