+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Ninja!

Cool My Ninja!

Following on from thread's like "rode another sports-bike yesterday what is it with IL4-s" and ""I am considering changing the SV650s" it seems inevitable that I would purchase something sooner rather than later - and without doubt I have made the right choice at the right time. There really isn't one bike that does everything, but you can get something that is close. I took all the good bits about the SV and combined with the other experiences I have had on my biking career so far and established the sort of thing I was after - a ZX9r.

This model is a 19000 mile E1 and it's green and quite brisk. It has a viper can, double bubble, after market pegs and rear light trim? fender extender and hugger.

things to do:

not much
    Last edited by Andrew; 31-07-2012 at 06:09 AM.

Nice one
    Pioneer of the Northloop lunge
    Daily: Ford Kuga 2.0 tdci - Family wagon
    SteveM owes me £5.

Noice
    Ermmmmm

Saw this today and it's mintarooney
    Dunlop Direzzas. Officially better than aero.

Northern end of the North Yorkshire Coast
    Things to do: Petrol and ride it
    Bikes are Best on the 'Ring. I no longer own one

VW T4 2.5 TDI/Disco 2 TD5
    1x 4m RIB with 50hp 2stroke outboard, 3x SOT fishing Kayaks, 4 x surf boards

My God that's green!

Great bike - enjoy
    Chris
    The older you get, the faster you used to be.....

Just called Hastings for the 2nd day in a row and after 11 minutes of being on hold, I canceled the insurance on the SV650 that I took out on 30/5/12. On that day they relieved me of £57.36 then took a further £14.18 off me twice and now charged me nearly £60 for the cancelation because they wanted an extra £284 to insure the Ninja... so that's £145.72 that's a mere £34.59 short of what I would have paid for the 12 month policy in one go

It makes my piss boil

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Just called Hastings for the 2nd day in a row and after 11 minutes of being on hold, I canceled the insurance on the SV650 that I took out on 30/5/12. On that day they relieved me of £57.36 then took a further £14.18 off me twice and now charged me nearly £60 for the cancelation because they wanted an extra £284 to insure the Ninja... so that's £145.72 that's a mere £34.59 short of what I would have paid for the 12 month policy in one go

It makes my piss boil
    Always worth reading the small print as a lot of insurance companies hit you hard with admin charges for amendments & cancellations.

Did you check on your new policy for the Ninja so it doesn't happen again?
    SteveM owes me £5
    I owe Dan £5
    Steve. Pay the man!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Did you check on your new policy for the Ninja so it doesn't happen again?
    er no

Regular
    I did enjoy my 9r, but due to the fapping mahoosive tank etc I always felt like I was on it rather than in it, I know that sounds retarded but with my cbrs I always felt at one with the bike.
    Used to go like stink though and would happily pop the front wheel at xxx mph in the outside lane

Well done, a good choice, the common complaint with the 9s is that the shock is a little soft and armchairy, although I didnt always agree with that prognosis and because of that I'm not currently sat on a pile donut.
    No redeaming features

Regular
    I used to insure with MCE and they were a bunch of ****s re: cancellations/updates to the policy.
    No redeaming features

Regular
    er no
    Doh. So why are you moaning then?

Nice bike btw, is it fast?
    SteveM owes me £5
    I owe Dan £5
    Steve. Pay the man!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Doh. So why are you moaning then?

Nice bike btw, is it fast?
    It's one of those anyone things in life, like taxes I guess - I have to pay it, but it makes me mad

It is pretty quick, not gone too mad yet but at around 140hp and 200kg it is useable

First tank of fuel, 14 litres and 135 miles covered = 44mpg ish

Brakes!

Brakes are rubbish, why didn't anyone mention this

ok so i was warned - how can i improve cheaply?!?!

Gary.H
    Off topic, but the title just reminded me of this

'My Ninja'

How much is cheaply, proper fix is around £150 & then it'll be done

Quote Originally Posted by rossm View Post
    How much is cheaply, proper fix is around £150 & then it'll be done
    It's getting it past Mrs.M. I was hoping for some £40 pad recommendations @ £150 I need to wait a little bit

It's getting it past Mrs.M. I was hoping for some £40 pad recommendations @ £150 I need to wait a little bit
    In that case Bendix MRR pads, they'll be a lot better (clean up the pistons whilst you're at it) but they'll still be s!it, I fecked about changing pads, master cylinders and what not till I went the radial conversion route & back to the standard M/C, job jobbed as they say

Thanks for that, I'll have a look at those

Regular
    Go directly to those caliper brackets and a set of Yamaha calipers. Then it almost wont matter what pads are in - no cheapskateitis allowed though. Goldfrei and Armstrong pads in sportsbikes is just dim.

Fresh fluid at the same time is a darned good idea. Cost; norra lot, tenner or less. Use good quality new dot 4, do not go down any dot 5 or 5.1 wading through bullshit over complicatedness.

The rubber squidetastic brake lines are not a great idea. However they are not the doom laden awfulness they are meant to be. Money on calipers and brackets first. Plastic coated stainless brake lines at some point thereafter. Cost 60 to a oner.

Ross, I believe we mentioned the stupendous brakes...
    "Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal". Henry Ford.

I'm the king of the swingers.
    The jungle vip
    I've reached the top
    And had to stop
    And thats whats bothering me woooah
    Shoop-bee-do dum de dum
    Hang on a mo. Who said anything about stoppping?

Regular
    Ere...

What are and how old are the tyres on that thing? (what written on side, how old written on side too 4 digit code - eg we are now at 3012 ish 30th week of 2012.)

Low milage minters tend to have ancient tyres.
    "Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal". Henry Ford.

The jungle vip
    I've reached the top
    And had to stop
    Shoop-bee-do dum de dum

Quote Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
    Ere...

What are and how old are the tyres on that thing? (what written on side, how old written on side too 4 digit code - eg we are now at 3012 ish 30th week of 2012.)

Low milage minters tend to have ancient tyres.
    Metzler something or other - I can confirm age. My biking chum Rich suggested I ditch them for something a bit stickier - the brake callipers may be the next step - tyres might wait until spring

Regular
    Sticky depends on environment and varies a lot. My optimal sticky, would be your half way lethal. Be careful young Jedi.

More info on usage required.

Oh, and get yourself a good quality mechanical gauge (brass tube variety) and measure the tyre pressures. There is every possiblity they are set to silly numbers.

The jungle vip
    I've reached the top
    And had to stop
    Shoop-bee-do dum de dum

The tyres are maxxis. I spotted them when you came round. Not sure how old they are but you can get a fingernail in them so not too old
    Dunlop Direzzas. Officially better than aero.

Oh yeah - that's them, knew it was a 'M'

Usage wise, bit of weekend action really medium ware would be good, can't be doing with 1000 mile range or anything...

Those 6 pot cailpers are terrible. Not sure why, they were fitted to just about everything at the time, none of them were good.

2 options,

Option 1: The Ross/Andy C method get a set of ebay radial caliper brackets and a pair of calipers from ebay for a GSXR 1000 or R1 with 4 pot calipers, (you might also need new brake lines as the banjo bolts are in a different position on the caliper and the line might need to be a bit longer). By the time you've finished you'll be looking at 400 quid. (120 calipers, 100 brackets, 80 master cylinder, possible 80 lines, 20 fluid etc.)

Option 2, get a set of 4 pot Nissin calipers from a GSXR1100M, they are much, much better, direct bolt on, no messing required. I just happen to have a set of these in VGC. PM me for details.
    Last edited by Martin@Burgstube; 29-08-2012 at 12:34 PM.
    Rooms, car rental, beer and food right by the castle - www.burgstube.com

Massive thanks to Martin and especially rossm for getting my brakes to me - NL Express FTW!!!!

P.S Thanks to those who offered to help also!

No probs! Let me know how you get on with them.

I have a dilemma. Over the weekend I went out for a ride, I was making my way along a local a road, 50mph, rolling past traffic 6th gear no worries. A car started indicating in front, I slowed down, geared it down to 3rd, car turns, and I started to accelerate - out of no where it wheel span, got into a tiny slapper only 1 foot off the peg. It was enough to warrant a safety wipe. I've had it before on the SV and it wasn't that nice on that either!

So I have read lots about MAXXIS tyres, which are ok for a budget but not good in the wet, 'unpredictable' is one thing I read a lot which is not favourable. So I need tyres and again I have read BT023's are the best which is pretty much what I have decided to have. But along with the brakes, pads £30?, £250 worth of tyres and £75 tax required in a week - is it worth it for 4-5 rides I'll would normally go on until spring or should I leave the tyres with ample tread on, and wait until march/april tax for 6 months, change brakes over the winter and do it like that??!?!!?

I have a dilemma. Over the weekend I went out for a ride, I was making my way along a local a road, 50mph, rolling past traffic 6th gear no worries. A car started indicating in front, I slowed down, geared it down to 3rd, car turns, and I started to accelerate - out of no where it wheel span, got into a tiny slapper only 1 foot off the peg. It was enough to warrant a safety wipe. I've had it before on the SV and it wasn't that nice on that either!

So I have read lots about MAXXIS tyres, which are ok for a budget but not good in the wet, 'unpredictable' is one thing I read a lot which is not favourable. So I need tyres and again I have read BT023's are the best which is pretty much what I have decided to have. But along with the brakes, pads £30?, £250 worth of tyres and £75 tax required in a week - is it worth it for 4-5 rides I'll would normally go on until spring or should I leave the tyres with ample tread on, and wait until march/april tax for 6 months, change brakes over the winter and do it like that??!?!!?
    Think you've already answered your own question there...

Plus regarding tyres have a look for the Metzeler M3's as I'm running them on my 9 and they have transformed the handling on the thing (plus cheap as they've been replaced with the newer M5's) Had plently of wet weather riding on them too; this morning springs to mind

Andrew, i would only ever use Maxxis tyres on the Supermoto, thire Goldspeed range are superb on a light bike but in my experience thire "sports bike" tyres aren't the best available (gross understatement), i would agree with Ross try some M3s or Pilot 3s for road use, alternatively i have a pair of BT16s which were on the S thou when i bought it with less than 1000 miles on them going cheap .

Three weeks ago on the way to the "Ring" a friend on mine dropped his Busa on a wet road at 25 mph near Monschau, three days in hospital, bike totalled, broken collar bone, made the local papers (daft Englander bins motorrad), guess what tyres he had fitted.
    Last edited by GIXXER BRADS; 25-09-2012 at 07:34 PM.

So whereabouts in Cheshire did you say you were

So whereabouts in Cheshire did you say you were
    Iam in Macclesfield matey but work in Buxton (possibly one of the best and worst commutes of anyone on the forum ).

The BT16s are in good nick the only reason i changed them is that the S thou is used mainly for trackdays, ring trips and the odd weekend blast, iam quite anal about tyres only using Metzler interecs K1s and K2s with no more than ten heat cycles, i then sell on the scrubs or use them on other bikes, (ive also got a good selection of these if you would perfer ).
    Last edited by GIXXER BRADS; 26-09-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GIXXER BRADS View Post

Three weeks ago on the way to the "Ring" a friend on mine dropped his Busa on a wet road at 25 mph near Monschau, three days in hospital, bike totalled, broken collar bone, made the local papers (daft Englander bins motorrad), guess what tyres he had fitted.
    So that's where the one currently in my garage came from!

My two penn'orth: Pilot Road3. They're really good wet, dry, cold or hot.

Budget tyres = visit to A&E

£250 for top quality tyres is cheaper than even a trivial get off . . .
    Chris
    The older you get, the faster you used to be.....

Ok, PM me with how much

And I used to live on Longdon Lane in Macc, went to Beech Hall too - it was during my parents nasty divorce, ended up the other side of the pennines after the age of 10. However when we go out riding we generally go Ashford on the water, turn off the A6 at Blackwell and go back to Matlock Bath on the A515 - you'll have to meet us next year if you have something road prepared?!!

P.S Cat and Fiddle is overrated IMO though the views are knock out!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin@Burgstube View Post
    So that's where the one currently in my garage came from!
    If its black and on a 05 plate that will be it, i think the engine was dropping oil due to it being wedged under the armco.

What sort of condition is the bike in now ?, is it rebuildable ?.

Ok, PM me with how much

you'll have to meet us next year if you have something road prepared?!!

P.S Cat and Fiddle is overrated IMO though the views are knock out!
    PM sent,

Always got something road legal , some mite say too many .

Agree about the Cat and Fiddle, thats why in have a Supermoto it works best on the type of roads that don't have cameras .

Quote Originally Posted by GIXXER BRADS View Post
    If its black and on a 05 plate that will be it, i think the engine was dropping oil due to it being wedged under the armco.

What sort of condition is the bike in now ?, is it rebuildable ?.
    Will go and have a look in a bit to see if it's the right one, Mr Carlile picked it up from somewhere near Monschau so I'm pretty sure it's the one.

It's not badly damaged, a bit of chemical metal type stuff and it could have been ridden home. It'll need some new plastics to make it pretty again but a cursory glance says it's mechanically OK other than the left engine cover leak.

It certainly sounds like the same bike, can't have been that many Busas on british plates lobbed at the scenery three weeks ago..
    I recommended he used a certain logistics company of this site, i hope this is the case.
    I would put money that the delivery address is a business in Manchester and not his home, if his misses see's the bike again in will be put beyond repair .
    Thanks for your help with this Martin and Andy.

Update:

My heated grips failed

Fortunately, my bike has a warranty as long as I own this bike. I dropped the bike off and blagged a 2012 Yamaha R1 FOC (more here). 36 hours later the bike was ready and fitted with brand new oxford heated grips.

+ Reply to Thread