+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Coffee options at home...

Quote Originally Posted by stevem View Post
    Iíve just ordered one of these for my aero press as theyíre supposed to add a crema . Will report back.

https://www.coffeehit.co.uk/fellow-p...aeropress.html
    Ooooh. That looks cool.

Definitely interested to hear back once you've tried it.

I couldn't wait for Morgan's review* so I've ordered one anyway.

*Please don't say it's shit.
    Sponsored by Floyd.

Mine arrived today, if you weren't so trigger happy I'd have let you know later....
    Simon no longer owes me anything, Dave does though.
    Floyd probably owes me at least twenty with the interest rolling up...

Regular
    Mine arrived today, if you weren't so trigger happy I'd have let you know later....
    'Chris, it's shite' (no matter how good it really is)
    SteveM owes me £5
    I owe Dan £5
    Steve. Pay the man!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    'Chris, it's shite' (no matter how good it really is)
    Well *obviously*

Too late anyway. Even if it is shit I'm going to say it's awesome.

Floyd pretty much covered the costs anyway.
    Sponsored by Floyd.

Had a go last night , crema takes some work, and very specific amounts . You do get a better palate out of it though generally. I did a side by side with the paper filter and itís a nicer brew. Will dick about further over the weekend.

You donít have to brew inverted either.

Cool

I think I may buy one.........
    Sponsored by Floyd.

Mine arrived this morning.

Review to follow......

Edit:

Ok. So I've made two brews so far. The first was for a latte earlier which would have been nice anyway. The second was for an americano which I'm drinking now. Whilst the aeropress is my proven favourite for a 'coffee at home' device, I'm no coffee connoisseur so I'm not sure yet if I can taste any difference but, I will say that it is better than a paper filter process wise. I've not been able to produce a crema as yet. Steve - is there a nack to it do you know?

It's still easy to clean anyway but I find the paper one is easier to pop the puck into the bin afterwards - 9 times out of 10 it comes off in one go. I've tended to have half of it on the syringe bit and the rest on the metal filter, in the device, with the prismo. Easily rinsed off, regardless.

Like Steve has highlighted, it's easier than having it sat upside down in the inverted mode too. Normal method - Fill, stir, leave to brew and press. There is no pre-press seepage or leakage down the mug/cup when pressing with the standard filter. Which pleases me.
    Last edited by Chris D; 28-04-2018 at 01:17 PM.
    Sponsored by Floyd.

20g coffee (level with bottom of press ) , 50g of boiling water dribbled in ( fill to just under the (1) , 20sec stir and a hard press works for an espresso with a faux crema. I had to stop as Iíd made 8 this morning and was feeling a bit funny...

20g coffee (level with bottom of press ) , 50g of boiling water** dribbled in ( fill to just under the (1) , 20sec stir and a hard press works for an espresso with a faux crema. I had to stop as Iíd made 8 this morning and was feeling a bit funny...
    * No, no, no, no, NO!

Do NOT use boiling water. Burns the coffee. Allow to cool once the kettle has clicked off. Target 92-94C

Amateurs.
    @ThrottleSteerer - Ex-Official Northloop Brat Custodian

Forever in debt to the famous NL Brat relay Team.
    Kent to Aberdeen (the scenic route) - December 2016

Anyone have any updates????
    @ThrottleSteerer - Ex-Official Northloop Brat Custodian

Forever in debt to the famous NL Brat relay Team.
    Kent to Aberdeen (the scenic route) - December 2016

Quote Originally Posted by findlay View Post
    Anyone have any updates????
    Jura #2 still works. Press still works with the pressure cap and is reinstated into the camping gear.

All good here :)

Quote Originally Posted by findlay View Post
    Do NOT use boiling water. Burns the coffee. Allow to cool once the kettle has clicked off. Target 92-94C
    Interesting. Thanks Findlay, I wasn't aware of that.

Though I never used fully-boiled water, but that was down to personal preference.
    I used to love my coffee, but I was far from a connoisseur! I used to favour Nescafe Gold Blend
    (no milk, 1 sugar), and would never start my day without it. But I was drinking too much of it (around 6 - 8 per day), so around 4 years ago, I woke up one morning and thought 'no thanks'!
    I haven't touched a drop of coffee since...

That's probably not what you want to hear Findlay.

Got a few quid for Christmas so decided to buy a manual coffee grinder - I chose the Porlex Mini.

I went for manual because I want to be able to grind coffee at 5am before a commute without waking anyone, be able to put the grinder away when I'm done, and travel with it tucked inside my AeroPress.
    I'm only about 5 cups in with it and still messing with the variables, but found this rather great guide to non-espresso brewing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Benz
    Nige would be turning in his shed
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige
    Have you seen my bottom nuts?

I got the Nespresso Barista. Makes quite a variety of different milk / cream / Frappuccino drinks

I like nespresso coffee so have a couple of their machines

I was bought a hand press espresso maker... roker or something. Itís quite a faff to make. I can taste the difference when I have ďproperĒ espresso-ground coffee but as to whether itís better or worse... dunno, not that fussed about coffee or have taste buds to appreciate whether the difference is better or worse. You donít get as much crema as with a machine

At work we have bean to cup and again, they taste different but not sure if itís better different. Iíd also hate to have to clean them

So my go-to for ease of use is nespresso + barista if I want to make something fancy

Regular
    I'm back to my trusty Hario V60 with ground coffee from my local coffee shop. I have filter coffee when I can, as I prefer it to espresso based coffees.

I've got it working how I like it, and even had a black coffee today for the first time ever.
    DTADroid - The Android app for DTA ECUs
    More info at www.dtadroid.com

I bought a Delongi bean to cup machine with the xmas pennies I was given.
    Really impressed with it so far. Just using the beans we sell at work at the moment (rated a 3/5 roast). Really nice and mellow.

Getting into the knack of doing lattes, which I really like.

Jon
    -----------------------
    Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
    - Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by sparrow View Post
    even had a black coffee today for the first time ever.
    There's definitely a "hilarious" apartheid gag to come out of that somewhere...

I got my Nespresso Latissima machine out of storage in mid December - it had been carefully drained down before being out away, meaning it refused to work when I tried it.

I managed to combine exposed electrics and a syringe to spray water around to get rid of the airlock in the supply hose and she burst into life.

Currently trying to get the entire war reserve of very out of date capsules used up so I can justify buying some new ones

Quote Originally Posted by jjturner View Post
    I bought a Delongi bean to cup machine with the xmas pennies I was given.
    Really impressed with it so far. Just using the beans we sell at work at the moment (rated a 3/5 roast). Really nice and mellow.

Getting into the knack of doing lattes, which I really like.

Jon

A good mate bought three different bean to cup machines for his work so he could see which was best - then bought one of those for home - they're a faff to clean but they really do make consistently good coffee effortlessly once you get them setup right 👍🏻

I cleaned and flushed my Tassimo machine today. Coffee ttastes much better when it doesn't have months-old grit in it. Yes, I am certainly a connoisseur...
    "Fortunately, I'd taken a spare Gearbox, Turbo, Actuator, Banjo Connector, Steering Rack, Driveshafts, ECU, Wideband sensor, 57-51mm silicone reducing elbow and a Copper Banjo Washer." - Nige

+ Reply to Thread