+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trip Report 23rd and 24th July

Saturday

After a boys weekend away last week, Clare was feeling a little left out so, I managed to plan a meeting in Germany for the Monday which would allow time for a quick visit to the 'ring.

The week before consisted of making sure the car was ready and that included some spare front pads and a new set of rear tyres to match the fronts.

When we got near Dover there was massive traffic problems starting around 1 mile from the end of the M20. This traffic jam was still apparent on our return, I am not sure if it is caused by the schools breaking up or the extra checks taking place, but my advice would be to use the A2. After leaving plenty of time we were 5 minutes late checking in for ferry, but a little bit of sweet talking and Clare fluttering her eye lashes got us on the ferry we had booked. The check-in clerk made us laugh when we handed him our booking details and passports, he told us "I don't want those [passports], the frogs should have checked them!". How PC.

The ferry was also a little late docking, but it had us on the E40 by 12 noon. After a conversation with Ross and Euan we thought we would give the E42 a try instead of the "road to hell". I would definitely recommend this route as it saved us 15 min, even with a diversion which was far from clear to follow.

When we arrived at Nurburg we dumped bags at Jung Stroof and went to deliver a jar of Marmite to Karl, although he was in the pub so we enjoyed a cup of coffee with Claire.

As usual for Saturday evenings, the track opened later the planned at 5.50 and Clare and I went out and did a couple of sighting laps each and get familiar with the car on new tyres. During my 2nd lap I had a good lap following a German Integra. After a fairly even lap I over took him just before Stielstreke as I kept a higher speed through Mutkurve. I thought nothing more of him until a Mercedes held me up at Hohe Acht, and the Integra was right behind me again. He was right on my tail through Wipperman before having the mother of all tankslappers, I really thought he had lost it, in fact I slowed down to watch the saw it in my mirror! When we returned to the car park the track was closed.

After a short closure the track reopened and we thought we should have enough time for one lap each. In fact Clare managed to sneak in 1 more lap on what was to be interesting to say the least! A British GT3RS was very close behind her though Fucshore and it pressured her take it faster than ever before! Quite how she kept the car on the Black stuff after the fast right is anyone's guess! After Adenau Forst it looked as it the GT3RS was about to overtake Clare on the right resulting in some colourful language in both cars! I managed to grab a word with the driver in the car park and clear up any "misunderstanding" :gayfight: we may have had.

We finished the day with a nice meal in the Pistenklause, followed with some beers in the Lindenhoff with Soren and Johannes.

Sunday

Clare, as keen as mustard was awake at 7am and was desperate to have breakfast so that we would not miss any tracktime.......just what have I created here?! Before we went to the track we filled up with petrol and tried a slightly higher tyre pressures (up 3psi) to reduce some of the instability the new tyres were giving.

We got to the completely empty car park at 8.15 and Clare went straight out and did a sighting lap, and then I did 2 laps. The tyres were certainly feeling a lot better, not great, but certainly better.

After a short break Clare followed Karl around for a couple of laps and we were both held up by an Austrian Porsche driver who did little to let the Golf and Clio pass. Later I took the 'kellogs accountant' out for a lap and then we took it in turns to do 2 laps each on a really nice clear lap. During one of these laps I timed Clare and she did a very respectable 9.22 with some traffic. During one of my laps I followed 2 bikers in to Breidscheid only to watch one of them "do a Ross". Fortunately he went in to the tyres very slowly and got straight up away.

Lunch was taken at the Pizza place on the 257, although we took this at the wrong time because the track was closed when we returned. It opened 20 mins later, but closed after one lap due to 4 crashed bikes and a car around Wipperman. The track was closed for over an hour, with the ADAC helicopter flying over the car park. I would love to know what happened here????

By the time it reopened the rain had started and Clare went out to do a lap with Dan the Man following in his DC5 Integra type R, it was raining at all sections of the track, but there was still some grip around, but the rain on the windscreen made me feel rather uncomfortable!

By the time I went out for a lap the track was pretty well soaked, although I thought I would drive around anyway just because I can! On the 2nd of there slow wet laps we came around Schwedenkreuz to find a red Peugeot 205 GTi on it's side in the Aremburg gravel trap. I stopped just before the bridge and we ran to help the owner push the car back on its wheels. As we got near I could see there was still someone else in the car and was still trying to get out - it was the driver's girlfriend. When she finally emerged I was expecting her to be quite distressed, but instead she was laughing hysterically!! I was both impressed and dissapointed at the red 3 series that came around the corner sideways as we were putting the car on it's wheels. Impressed that he held such a nice drift, unimpressed that he did it at that time!

After a few more laps it was obviously not going to clear up, so we made a move at 5pm to drive to Bielefeld.
    Has left the building..................

Can't believe you went without me ..... dont like you anymore argue

Glad CLARE got some good laps in and you osrted the comedy tyres out a bit :thumb:

Gary
    I'm arresting you for murdering my car you dyke digging tosspot

Well, at least you got her name right Gary, time to concentrate on the "sorted" bit now :lol:
    Here lies the body of Mary Lee, died at the age of a hundred and three. For fifteen years she kept her virginity, not a bad record for this vicinity.

Regular
    Nice report, glad u both enjoyed yourselves :D

Dave, what tyres are they, A539's? Do you wish that you had put the oe ones on? I am v happy with the 182's pe2's so I don't recon that I would like to change for something else.

Cant wait to get back, not long now :thumb:
    SteveM owes me 5
    I owe Dan 5
    Steve. Pay the man!

Yep, they are the 539s.

It's a question of cost and wear - If money was no option I would be be using the tyres you have.

But I guess the tyres may be 3 secs a lap slower but if they mean I can do 50 laps more, then thats a good thing!

Dave
    Has left the building..................

and they are cheaper in the first place .......

Money is no object to Simo though B)

Gary

Regular
    Originally posted by Gutmann pug@Jul 26 2005, 01:30 PM
    Money is no object to Simo though B)

Gary
    lol, who told u that?

ps, this is Simon's butler replying on behalf of him as he is taking a dump. Got to go now as he needs his arse wiping :whistle:
    SteveM owes me 5
    I owe Dan 5
    Steve. Pay the man!

Soundz like a good weekend and a good report :thumb:

Cannot believe you went without Gary & Emma :blink:

Chris
    2013 VW Passat Alltrack - the tow car
    1991 VW Golf GTi - the towed car

Regular
    Yeah i had an excellent time this year, being my second time there. Was good to follow clare around for a lap and see what lines she takes and how she used the kerbs more...thanks!

Was happy with the teg, performed really well except for the tires which went off so quickly when hot i had the power on to stop oversteer which would then understeer so off and hello oversteer! But managed okay but have to change before i hopefully go back in september.

One guy timed me from bridge to gantry and was 9.05 so was well happy as was my 18th lap in total! Just came together this year and talked to more people and managed more laps.

banzai!

DAN (nice to meet u both clare and dave :thumb: )
    if in doubt, give the VTEC a shout!!!!

Chris, we went without them and it felt really weird! At least I had Dave all to myself for a change ;) (In a non-wife swapping type way you understand ;) )

Nice to meet Dan, Mickey, Alan et al. Glad you had fun and look forward to seeing you again there.

All in all, a great weekend with some memorable driving :whistle: shame it rained on Sunday, I wasn't finished with the Nordschleife! :angry:

Oh well, only 4 1/2 weeks to go til the next time - and that's for a week! Yippee!

Grumble grumble moan grumble grumble

Originally posted by Clarebabes@Jul 27 2005, 07:23 AM
    Chris, we went without them and it felt really weird! At least I had Dave all to myself for a change ;) (In a non-wife swapping type way you understand ;) )

LOL ;)
    2013 VW Passat Alltrack - the tow car
    1991 VW Golf GTi - the towed car

Originally posted by Gutmann pug@Jul 27 2005, 09:33 AM
    Grumble grumble moan grumble grumble
    :P

He belongs to me, hands off :P

Regular
    LOL, does Gary think Dave is his B1tch gay
    SteveM owes me 5
    I owe Dan 5
    Steve. Pay the man!

He's a bit of a girl I must admit, keeps going to bed early drunk.

Gary

+ Reply to Thread