+ Reply to Thread

Thread: October 20th->23rd

Well as you know we returned, some of us later than others!

Where do I start?!

The excitement was building on the Thursday night, couldn't sleep, like a kid on Christmas Eve!

Woke up, went to pick up my passenger, then to meet half the others down the road. Meet most of the rest of the group at Maidstone services. Except the guy in the Integra, his exhaust had fallen off and needed to wait until morning to get it sorted. He caught a later ferry and met us at the hotel.

En route we ended up splitting up into 3 groups, with one group getting there quite late!

Upon arrival, went to Pinochios and had a pizza and very large beer! Then to 'Slide' the nightclub, with a breif visit next door. :whistle: Some people visiting a bit extra, if you know what I mean. :blink:

Next morning, checking the cars over and headed up to the main entrance for some laps. The race in the morning started late so opening was delayed until 2pm.

Was wet, but started drying out. Starting to remember the track a fair bit more now, knowing where I can and can't keep the car flat out. So many more places than I thought!

Everyone in one piece, and buzzing due to adrenaline! Back to the hotel, and down to the new (been open two months) Sports Bar in Adenau, just down from the Aral Garage! Few nice ladies and an internet connection! :affection: :shame:

Had a few cocktails, and was chatting in my best attempt at German to this nice young lady, it must have been my poor understanding of the language and neanderthol behavior which worked in my favour and she came over later and gave me her number on a piece of BitBurger paper! Game on. Not sure what 'I'm call me' means though :lol:

Sunday, the weather was looking uncertain. As time past, the amount of clouds was decreasing, and the sun came out. A perfectly dry day saw us hitting the track at some decent pace. Met Steve Gill, who I followed round on one of my favourite laps in the gorgeous CSL, until a big slide from myself on the outside of the Karousel (car too low to ride the cambered section) and pulling out of there some serious wheel wobble, strange noises and pulling to the right. Pulled over and had a quick look. Saw nothing untowards, drove back to the pits with hazards to have a proper look. Saw nothing, and decided to try lapping at a moderate pace to make sure the car was behaving!

There was nothing else strange going on, so I carried on lapping, building up the pace. Met Darren (Mr Teflon) and SteveW who was making good progress round the track!

After a long day of taking people round the track, and doing no laps myself, I was just happy with the extra experience gained and the fact that our group had no misfortune on track!

Headed back to the hotel loaded up the cars for the morning, back into Adenau for some beers & banter.

Now, my journey back was an interesting one. Got past Brussels with no issues. Then the noise which I heard on the track seemed to be coming back....then the steering wheel started vibrating again and some horrendous noises coming from the front O/S wheel. Thinking it must be the CV Joint, or possibly Wheel Bearing. Tried to leave it for a second and drive off again, at slow pace, seemed to work, but going 30mph on the motorways seemed like a bad idea, and we'd miss the ferry anyway.

Pulled over and thought it would be time to make use of the ADAC cover. They turned up in a small van and then said that they'd go and get a tow truck. This didn't turn up for 1.5 hours so I decided to give driving it another go. It seemed to be ok for a while, limped for another hour or so, and then it did it again. Called the
    ADAC and told them to leave it, for now.

We basically limped it home with many stops, got pulled over by French police, decided to go for Dunkerque, because we weren't going to make the SpeedFerries sailing, and that was the last one. Got to Dunkerque for 21:15 and made their 22:00 sailing! Had a few stops in England, M25->M11 junction had a little kip too! Not great in a Cobra Racing seat!

Found out that if you steered slightly to the right, the vibrating was less, so I accelerated when steering right, and lifted off when steering left. This weaving attracted the attention of the Highway patrol, who stopped us also. Managed to get to the Harlow juntion and limped the rest of the way home. An annoying but quite amusing end to an absolutely awesome weekend!

Made it home just before 4am.... :D

Regular
    Loving it Dave! Ive kept your dancing photos off of her just so people dont think your completely mad! :P
    '96 Saab 9000 Aero - 3??bhp/4??ft lb

Who needs aerodynamics when you have power?!...

A completely mad sweatmeister! Thanks mate, appreciated. :thumb: :shame: :whistle:

What a great weekend all in all, still on the 'come-down' and ready for Post Ring Depression. :(

Nice report well written, laughing as I read it :thumb:

Any pics from the sports bar :whistle:

Originally posted by Steve Gill@Oct 24 2006, 12:19 PM
    Nice report well written, laughing as I read it :thumb:

Any pics from the sports bar :whistle:
    Hopefully not laughing at my struggle back home! :lol:

There were no Sports Bar pictures, but there were from the 'Slide' club! :whistle:

Regular
    Anyone of you been at Pinocchio´s on saturday evening?
    Best Regards
    René

Yes, we were.

Sorry if our noise was annoying, and the big chap (not me!) was being naughty. :shame:

Nice write up. Good luck with sorting the car :)

Originally posted by davetouring@Oct 24 2006, 12:52 PM
    There were no Sports Bar pictures, but there were from the 'Slide' club! :whistle:
    Come on then, post the pics!!! :thumb: :lol:

There's lot of sweat, and an imaginary trumpet. And that's just me. :blink: :whistle: :lol:

Regular
    Originally posted by davetouring@Oct 24 2006, 01:48 PM
    Yes, we were.

Sorry if our noise was annoying, and the big chap (not me!) was being naughty. :shame:
    No - it wasn´t too noisy. My wife and I have been there with another couple and we sat besides 6 english talking people. Lateron I made a pic of these guys with their Canon. Just wondered if it was you.
    Best Regards
    René

what is this slide club you talk of dave and im sorry if i upset anyone who was trying to eat in Pinocchio´s on friday night,but the challenge of downing 3l of beer was just to much for me to avoid .....

Fotograff,

Oh I see, yes that was our group. Wir haben zu viele biere getrunken!

I didn't know you were 'Fotograff' on here! :whistle: :D

Virgin....the Club on the first night, was called Slide. Next door to the Cherry Bar.

oh i see,it was so busy in there i must have missed the name

Originally posted by virginringer@Oct 24 2006, 04:01 PM
    oh i see,it was so busy in there i must have missed the name
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah. Full of air it was, couldn't move for air. :whistle:

Found a cool photo:

:thumb:

Regular
    Originally posted by davetouring@Oct 24 2006, 03:56 PM
    .... Wir haben zu viele biere getrunken!.....
    That´s what beer is there for! :thumb: :D
    Best Regards
    René

Had a fantastic weekend Dave, very impressed with your car and driving, i left it a bit late to get a go as a passenger in your car as the track was closed for quite a while and i still had 3 laps to do my self on the sunday afternoon.
    Deffo next time mate as i heard so many stories of how quick you were going round and some of the sideways action.

I will most deffo be up for the next visit, hooked now and would go again tomorow if i could.

My driving technque needs quiet a bit of work, my sport could do with some more handling upgrades and i should see some much quicker laps.

Well pleased with the toyo proxie ts1,s and ferrodo 2500s, they both seemed to work well on my motor.

Many thanks for organising this trip fella, good to meet the rest of the guys as well, had a blast and you can put my name down for the next one now if you like :thumb:

Dave,

I was the silver elise in front of your who went grass cutting at Adenauer-Forst ;)

I meant to come over to you afterwards, but i didn't have time, i had to get 11 laps in before we left at 1.30!!

Saturday was crappy weather, our friend prang her car, my tyres were rubbish in the wet, so not a good day. But Sunday was awesome, not very busy, dry bright and no closures!!!

Roll on next year!!

Austen,

I thought that may have been you, well held on the grass, I've done exactly the same there once before! :lol:

I gave you a wave as I went past just to check if you were ok, which you seemed to be. :thumb:

Didn&#39;t see your car in the carpark, I was gonna say Hi but you weren&#39;t about&#33; <_< :D

Something I missed...

My mapped ECU went into limp mode causing a bit of &#39;lift-off&#39; oversteer&#33; Couldn&#39;t rev above 3k. Popped and banged my way back to Adenau and swapped the ECU for the standard one&#33; Back on track within 5 mins&#33; :thumb:

Regular

Sorry Dave... :lol: :lol: :lol:

:ph43r:
    &#39;96 Saab 9000 Aero - 3??bhp/4??ft lb

Who needs aerodynamics when you have power?&#33;...

Someone stole my trumpet whilst I was playing it. I&#39;m yet to find out who. :blink: :whistle:

Dancing Dave, another highlight of the trip&#33;&#33;

Here are a couple of pics of me on my first trip to the ring. Only did 5 laps, but my fourth and fith were sub 10 minute BTG so really chuffed with that.

Thanks again for organising the trip Dave, really was brilliant, can&#39;t wait to go again.

This was in Slide, the nightclub, in the Sports Bar, there actually were lots of girls.........honest&#33; :ph43r:

Hi Guys&#33; I was Paul (Dakkon&#39;s) passenger. Thanks to those who put effort into organising the weekend :)

Sounds like mine and Pauls journey home was quicker than some&#33; Left the Hotel at 08:00 ish and got the 13:30ish ferry&#33; I was home in wolves to keep the girlfriend warm :thumb: by 19:00.

Phil

Regular
    I briefly meet a few of you on the Sat. Came over and said hello to Davetouring and Stuart (guy with the DC2). I was there for the weekend with a few friends.

Dave - I&#39;ve found a few pics you might be proud of ;)

Heres one of me:

I&#39;ve never seen it that busy before&#33; Only managed to get a couple of clear laps, shame as the weather turned out lovely on Sunday. Loads of crashes too, fortunately none were us :thumb:
    &#39;52 CTR NHB + GSXR750K4

Regular
    was there with these guys to great wk end cheers dave,just sorry about your car on the way back il come over this week and give you a hand sorting it :thumb:

Regular
    Thought I would add my account of the weekend now that I have some time.

Flew in from Copenhagen on the Thursday night and got home by 11pm where my mate Phil was waiting, so make sure we pack everything and squeeze in for PGR3 &#39;ring laps before bed to try and make sure we know the corners. :lol:

Up at 5:30 and have left by 6am, about halfway round the M25 realise I have forgotten all the paperwork, but we have no time to turn around and off to meet Dave and the others at Maidstone services.

We all meet at 8am to find a big mix of people and cars, all is set for a fantastic weekend.

Arrive at dover shortly afterwards for a very rough crossing at least one of the group was sick....nice :unsure:

Through luck or chance the convoy splits into three on the way to the ring, we try and trust satnav but it seems to be slightly wrong so Phil and I take over leading and we were the late group that did not arrive until 9pm. :thumb:

We drop our stuff off and wander down to Pinochio&#39;s to find all the others well into the beer :D

Being slightly more tired than them Phil and I have a quieter meal and all the other go off clubbing as the earlier pics show.

Up early to get some shots of the cup racing, getting really excited now, but the big rain clouds are looking scary.

Check the car, with the space it has I brought a tyre pump and gauge, but water oil and tyre pressures are good.

Quick lunch and off to the &#39;Ring, some fantastic cars in the car park and general chaos as people park anywhere, excitement is starting to build even more as are the rain clouds.

Figure I buy 15 laps and see how I get on. Track opened at 2pm and off we go, first ever real lap and some slight drizzle, but bugger me, PS2 & XBox games just don&#39;t do the ring justice at all, the rises and falls, the blind crests, the compression through fox hole, it&#39;s amazing and the dawning realisation that A) the rain is getting heavier and I do not know the track anywhere near as well as I thought.

Second lap up the straight, round to the right and then left into the first section of rights-lefts, offside rear touches the kerb and bam, the back end is coming round awfully fast, relfex opposite lock, don&#39;t wind off quick enough, back end comes round the other way, the barriers are looking very, very close, car is fish tailing down the road and then it stops, car goes straight, pulse is hammering away in my chest, bugger me that was scary......

Gently complete the lap, car is very twitchy and trying to step out at any opportunity, perhaps I should have replaced the reasr as well as the fronts at the same time? but I have decent tread on the rears?

Get back to the car park and see a few crashed cars out on track.

Check the car, no damage, best we can think of is to drop the pressure in the rears, so down by 2psi they go.

Whether the drop in pressure or the fact that the rain stopped, I don&#39;t know but we went out again and in total did 5 laps on the Saturday with no more scares and building cofidence in the car, I reckon I know the track well up to the Karussell.

Went out Saturday night for chinese with the group, great bunch, but left them for bed as we wanted to be fresh for the morning.

Sunday dawns, cloudy, but some blue skies. Started out gently managing to get over taken by a Corsa proving that lines are much more important than power. In total I did a further 14 laps and one lap with Dave, last lap of the day well inside 10 mins BTG, which made me really happy, really think I got to know the track by the end of the day. On one lap we even manage to chase down Andy in his E30 with an M3 engine in it. Gave andy a ride in my car as well which I think he liked?

It has been a fantastic experience, making me think I should have been coming here 10 years ago, Dave&#39;s lap was a real eye opener as to how far I have got to go, but im getting there, good to see my car held up well, minimal tyre wear, it needed no fluids except super plus :whistle:

Had a relatively quiet Sunday night, and we left at 8am, back to Bologne, managed to jump on the 13.35 ferry and I was back in Newbury for 4.15pm. Tried to get an early night before a 3.30am start for the first flight back out to Copenhagen.

Thanks again Dave for arranging everything.

Some of you have already seen it but i&#39;ve done a bit of a write up of the weekend, pictures will be getting added aswell at some point.

Ring Trip

heros&#33; i&#39;m one here at last :P

good to read everyones thoughts on this weekend&#33; 3rd trip there 1st time as passenger and last&#33;

so bring on the 4th with one of my cars lol

Nice report there StuartE
    I'm arresting you for murdering my car you dyke digging tosspot

Regular
    Nice to see you Stuart - lovely car BTW ;)
    &#39;52 CTR NHB + GSXR750K4

Regular
    Great read there Paul and Stu&#33;

Already saving for the next trip&#33;

Ryan :D
    &#39;96 Saab 9000 Aero - 3??bhp/4??ft lb

Who needs aerodynamics when you have power?&#33;...

Originally posted by Superfli@Oct 26 2006, 09:52 AM
    Nice to see you Stuart - lovely car BTW ;)
    Thanks

I should have come over for a chat when we were at Dover, I guessed then you were on your way to the Ring.

Originally posted by austen_s1@Oct 24 2006, 03:39 PM
    Dave,

I was the silver elise in front of your who went grass cutting at Adenauer-Forst ;)

I meant to come over to you afterwards, but i didn&#39;t have time, i had to get 11 laps in before we left at 1.30&#33;&#33;

Saturday was crappy weather, our friend prang her car, my tyres were rubbish in the wet, so not a good day. But Sunday was awesome, not very busy, dry bright and no closures&#33;&#33;&#33;

Roll on next year&#33;&#33;
    Cheers for reminding me Aust&#33; <_< Still had a good weekend though. Never got to meet you Northloop guys as I was a bit pre-occupied with my car but hopefully next time I won&#39;t have the same problems :D

+ Reply to Thread