+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2nd - 5th October Ring trip, VLN & then Spa

Right then, slightly later than planned, I thought I'd post a few words up [and pics] from my ring trip earlier this month.

Three of us were heading over from different ends of the country all setting off on different days. Dad took the overnighter from Newcastle, whilst I took the tried and tested Norfolkline luxury Dover-Dunquerque route early on the Fri. My mate was also following in my footsteps the next day.

The trip started well as I met Dino and his crew in the queue at Dover. They were also kind enough to let me hang around talking car nonsense for the ferry ride and I also followed in their convoy acros France and Belgium for a while before heading onto further into the Netherlands to meet my dad.

They were all great lads and we ended up catching up several times across the weekend :thumb:.

The trip was fairly uneventful until I met my dad, whereupon seconds after I stopped and got out of the car to chat to him, a motorhome towing a glider lost a wheel as it motored past! :o The wheel bounced past and came to a halt about 50m away!

Sorry no photos of this as it the camera was safely tucked away in the boot! It was also safely tucked away when we passed this place Comedy town name here :lol:

The trip to the ring from here on in was reasonably traffic heavy [Friday afternoon and all that] so I only got up to an indicated 145mph on one clear bit of Autobahn. Slighthly dissapointed as I think it could be the last trip to the fatherland with the Porker before I sell it.

Once arrived and checked in we moseyed to Dottinger-Hohe just in time to see the start of the VLN quali kicking off. The pace of the GT3 RSRs, Corvette, R8s and the like down there was just epic.

We then moseyed off to watch at PF1.

Saw some nice motors in the car park:

Usual beetles..

[IMG]http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs057.snc3/14442_181420222272_605572272_3248494_3252700_n.jpg[IMG]

My dad hadn't been to watch much before so I thought it would be a good to wander up to Brunchen and Wipperman and boy was I glad we did! On the approach to Eschbach we saw a smokey E36 3series [IIRC] and didn't think much of it until we got to Wipperman and started to see a few lively antics which culminated in this Mods - let me know if VLN crashes need to be taken down as per TF crashes!

and this

[keep an eye out for that one above later....]

Whilst amusing after the event once we knew all were well, it was actually pretty frightening watching car after car hurtle into the corner lose it and end up nearly totalled. Whilst only 5 or so cars were ruined, over 15 or so nearly went off before the first driver was able to get sufficiently far up towards Hohe Acht to get people to slow. Moreover, the E30 [#22] actually rolled along the barriers and was supremely lucky not to end up in the trees over the back.

I think the situation could possibly have been lessened with more marshalls [seemed low numbers out for quali] but regardless, it really served as a salient reminder that no matter how well you know the track you never quite know what is round the next corner.

Given that put pay to the end of the quali we mooched on back to the hotel before heading down to the CC for some top nosh and a couple of sherberts to wash it down :drink:. We also met Bren and Karl for the 1st time and were highly entertained by them and their inebriation / insults. Sadly we were knackered after our early doors start so we headed back to the Ringhaus for a couple more beers and an early night.

The other reason for the early night was I'd heard great things about getting up and around the paddock before the VLN. It started well as there was a serious motors in the carpark:

Dad tries his luck:

Politically Correct bollocks safety sticker still on dash:

One for Oakie....

Hadn't seen a V10 in the metal before

Then the level of access in the paddock was unbelieveable

Last minute fixes (probably didn't need pesky tourists taking photos...)

Sadly this turned out to be VERY slow

These Biturbos were getting common

This team took my fancy for some reason:

Usual celebs knocking around....

Then we realised you could get into the garages and onto the grid.....

Last lot......

Quite popular....

Couldn't believe the difference in disk size on the Seats:

Seemed to peddle quite well....

Remember this? We got chatting to one of the drivers and the mechanics were up all night getting it back on track - great work!

Rear brakes on the Manthay somewhat oversized in comparison to the Seats....

This made a luvery noise:

This was rapid:

30 secs before going to the grid:

Old DTM Astra had outrageous pace

Access all areas seemed to take on a new level for dad:

Spray on pants :whistle:

Felt like Brundle on his pitwalk

Arse - 3G card (Oops I said the F word)ed up and mean that I lost the last post!

Suffice to say I'll re-do news re rest of the weekend lapping and at Spa later / tomorrow :lol: .

Regular
    Taps fingers on desk :whistle:
    SteveM owes me 5
    I owe Dan 5
    Steve. Pay the man!

Great stuff, love VLN B)
    The Forces' Motorsport Charity
    www.missionmotorsport.org

Originally posted by Simon@Nov 9 2009, 12:38 PM
    Kids, eh? :karl:

Can't remember (and moreso, can't be @rsed to check) if I posted any of my pics. Some bar steward on the ferry knicked my camera so I was limited to the fonecam for the weekend - apart from my little laddy's efforts. Well, especially when he ran out of batteries and he had to use my fone:

Sorry if it's a repost, but I think such a spray job (ahem! - Ed) could only be bettered by Stan The Man.......after a fine rub-down with wet'n'dry. :whistle:
    E30 325 shared ownership track car
    TT Roadster

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world."

Regular
    Originally posted by Peach-uk@Oct 31 2009, 10:31 PM

This makes me sad :(

But tthe spray on pants make me :D
    If I could have all the money back I have wasted on cars, I would waste it on a car.

Originally posted by Mark83@Nov 23 2009, 01:46 PM
    But the spray on pants make me :D
    I hope you're not referring to my tight trousers. I can assure you, mine shrank in the wash.

:whistle:
    E30 325 shared ownership track car
    TT Roadster

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world."

Originally posted by Simon@Nov 9 2009, 12:38 PM
    Ceikey I haven't been on here for a while.... Sadly the Spa pics were a bit poor. I shall see if I can muster some creativity over Christmas and blag some pics from my mate to complete the update. I wouldn't hold your breath though given my track record... :shame:

+ Reply to Thread