+ Reply to Thread

Thread: June ring report

See below ;)

Saturday

After a nice flight from Gatwick we arrived at Ring Racing to collect our cars at 12 noon. We had already asked them to get our cars ready, but clearly thay had bigger fish to fry with some VLN cars to support.

Oh well, we could at least watch the VLN race and walked around PG taking pics and talking shit.

At 4pm we went back to ring racing to collect the cars.....still no one was about. 4.30pm came and went and a few cars started to appear, but none of the Kleen gang. Around 4:45 we spotted Uwe who promised our cars would be ready in 15 mins.

15 mins turned in to 45 :rolleyes:

My cars appeared first and appeared to start fine, and had none of the nasty vauxhall engine rattle from last month.

A quick trip to the apartment, to get rid of all the tools and rear seats/carpet from the car, put a litre of oil in and get some petrol.....and I made it to the track for 6.15. Although the roads leading up to it were jammed solid as the track was still not open. I think it finally opened around 6.30.

The first 2 laps I did were just stupid and we were already queing to get off the track!! Clare took the 3rd lap, which was a little clearer in terms of traffic. As the track was still open I hopped in to the drivers seat, with Jochen taking the passenger seat. This was a real nice lap where a 968 was following close behind, I was not sure if he wanted to over take or not, but I let him past around FP and stayed right on his bumper. At Kesselchen I kept in pinned and used the extra 50 bhp to its advantage and drove around him. He then stayed on my rear bumper for the rest of the lap. As we were slowing down along Dottinger Hohe, he pulled along side and gave the thumbs up. It's laps like this, that make me smile a lot, perfect :D :D

I thought this would be the last lap I completed as my clock was reading 7.27......wrong, the track was still open. Knowing I was one of the last cars to go out, I thought I would time a lap. In the end it was an 8:30 which was not bad considering there were a few hold ups and it always takes me a while before I am "in the zone".

The normal evening followed, food and beer :rolleyes:

Sunday
    I was a little latter getting to the track as I wanted to set up my electronic moving image device to the bumper of my car. I managed to do one lap before the first closure of the day, a mini on its roof just after Wipperman.

After the closure I had a pretty interesting lap with a german registered Subaru, while I could stay right behind him easily, when he let me past, I certainly did not pull away, it was a pretty cool lap, and it was on video B) At the barriers I noticed some french clutter belonging to Gary, time for another lap on camera then B)

Then came another closure, Clare did a few laps and it was time for a bit to eat. After lunch Clare wanted to do some laps, so it was time for a tank of fuel and another litre of oil. Clare was keen that we videoed one laps of hers..only at some point I rewound the tape like a dumbass, and we recorded over part of the Subaru lap from earlier :rolleyes:

I say recorded over part of the lap, as my rear suspension broke between SX and Amemberg. Luckily no harm was done to us, or the car. I thought the bolt had come lose as it had done before, but unfortunatel for us, the rear mounting point had broken completely. Bugger, weekend over :(

Added to the problems Gary had, and Ross breaking his arm, there have been better weekends!

Still there was at least Beer and food and the company of friends to enjoy :D

Monday
    Gary and Steve lent me their cars for 2 laps each, which I am very thanful for.

The track and car park was just so clear, I was a little bit annoyed that I did not have a car to drive.

I am sure there is stuff I forgot but I got the important stuff in :P Although if you feel I need to add stuff I guess I can use the edit feature!

Dave :ph43r:
    Has left the building..................

I was there on this trip in my Pug 306 GTi-6.

Did 20 laps over the course of the trip, with a new personal best of 9:24, was held up badly twice, am confident that I'm doing 9:15's if on a clear ish lap. Bearing in mind my previous PB was 9:40 in a car with 250bhp I'm quite chuffed overall. Improvement is down to the fact I've learned the lines from watching numerous videos, playing GT4 ;) and some helpful input from Dave regarding where I can keep it flat, turning points etc. It all started plugging into place well.

My GTi-6 is totally standard and I was seriously impressed with how well she went. Blatted it to the 'ring, 20 laps (280 miles of abuse), drove it home and all that's broke is front pads.....which is to be expected to an extent.

The car was cracking, the passive rear steer just made total sense when on there. Some guys followed me for a bit of a lap and watched me, they could see the rear track of the car about 2 feet out from the front; looks, and feels so weird but that rear steer works an absolute treat.

On standard suspension it's handling is great - if a little soft. Will be getting coilovers fitted for next trip and it'll be spot on.

Cracking motor the GTi-6 and I couldn't have asked for more from it.

P.S. Braking problem resolved it seems with front wishbones replaced and brake bias valve released after it seized.
    Mk7 Golf GTi

There is a lot of fun to be had out of a hot hatch :D

Your car did pretty good, I reckon you ought to think about getting some better pads too, 20 laps for a lightish car is not that much.

What were they Halford special offers :D

Originally posted by Davyboy@Jun 15 2005, 09:22 AM
    There is a lot of fun to be had out of a hot hatch :D

Your car did pretty good, I reckon you ought to think about getting some better pads too, 20 laps for a lightish car is not that much.

What were they Halford special offers :D

Haven't a clue what pads they are, probably cheap ish ones yeah.

I'll get some better pads for sure, I too would expect a bit more than 20 laps!!
    Mk7 Golf GTi

I have Performance Friction 97 pads and they have lasted about 70-80 laps so far this year, and they still look unused.

Although they are seem expensive, I think you will find they will cost out OK.

I'll do my report later but there are a couple of episodes which sticks in my mind.

Passenger laps are something I love giving and sometimes you get a good one. Having chatted to a couple of Dutch guys driving an Mi16 205 we decided to go out for a pax lap. On the way to flugplatz I asked if he took that section flat, he replied NO so I did it flat, he looked at me like I was a loon. With a rye smile I asked him what he did at Fuchsrorhe and he said a little brake at the bottom, we did it flat :D with him wimpering like a baby next to me B) . On the way from Karussel to Hohe Acht same question, how do you do this, but this time he replied I do it flat, so I did both the lefts and the right flat before entering Hohe Acht. Again he was gibbering and I was confused, I thought you said you did it flat? He said yeah the first left, but not the next left and the right after it too :lol: Anyway the lap finished and I had a little laff when I saw him talking to his mate and doing that little circular finger motion while pointing in your ear implying I was mad :rolleyes: .... Made me chuckle though

I guess the other biggie was big game hunting with Dave and me in the pug again trying to chase down a UK STi blob eye scoob. He had a 10 second or so head start and to be fair was doing pretty well. I was catching but only slowly. The big moment was again Fuchsrorhe. I was only just starting the decent when I saw him touch his brakes at the bottom. With Dave acting as extra ballast we went through the compression flat and took the left curb pretty damed quick. By the time we reached AF itself we had taken 100 metres out of the scoob and were right on him, he moved and we continued on our way ........

Its amazing but the first time you take a section flat your arse is twitching like mad, but after the first couple of times you think why the hell was I ever braking/lifting there in the past.......

Those were my fav moments of the weekend.

There were a couple of lows too, as Dave mentioned the lack of cars and knowledge of when they would be made available to us by RR and also my car loosing weight without my help when the fan belt tensioning assy jettisoned itself and also took a cable out of the starter motor at the same time. That put payed to Sunday afternoon unfortunatly. It was somewhat ironic that within the hour Dave's car came out in sympathy and went belly up too. Just goes to prove not only are we a team but the cars are too :D .........

Gary
    I'm arresting you for murdering my car you dyke digging tosspot

It's not just Westfields that are reliable then? ;)

Don't worry chaps, you're in good company. The Caterham Superlight R we took last time pissed it's coolant en route to the 'ring, three times at the 'ring and then in a traffic jam at Calais for good measure! :angry:
    (turned out to be a warped head gasket) The owner couldn't decide whether to sell the car or set light to it :D

T
    F15 X5 40e family truck
    M135i daily driver inbound
    Shitbox Racing Golf VR6
    Mk2 MX5 - Maybe sometime in the next decade to be a Lexus V8 engine riot.......

Regular
    Looks like a mixed w/end then chaps. Hopefully not to much of a downer. Dave, you have been saying your suspension has been on the way for a while & that you were planning to sort it, still a bugger thou :(

Gary, I recon that before to long you will have an exclusion zone around you car m8, could make for a few quiet laps thou :lol:.

Simon
    SteveM owes me 5
    I owe Dan 5
    Steve. Pay the man!

The owner couldn't decide whether to sell the car or set light to it
    Know that feeling well!

Dave,

I asume that's the shock that's physically broken? If so, aren't they fairly new?

:ph43r: Newish......

Leda have offered a FOC repair, and are concerend that I am unhappy with one of there biggest selling products (the 944 suspension kit).

Customer service is great........so far my experience of the product is not so good.

I just hope this time it gets sorted.

Lets hope it works and does what you want it too .Infact I pray thats the case, If I have to listen to you bleating on about suspension anymore I may be forced to buy you a set of KW's just to shut you up ;)

Gary

KW's (coilovers) on the Pug within 6 weeks.

Stick it up ya windpipe.
    Mk7 Golf GTi

:gayfight:

Why Dave has 2 pink smilies having a faggot fight on his post I'll never know.
    Mk7 Golf GTi

That's not good Dave. It should be par for the course that you can trust your shocks not to break. Wear out yes, not break.......

You don't really want things like that in the back of your mind at the 'Ring do you?

Here's one of mine I made earlier ;)

AVO's finest

AVO's finest, the fast left at Bruntingthorpe and this happens, front right shock.
    They machined them wrong apparently. That's ok then.... :angry:

Sorry I haven't put the pic up - came up with an error same the forum doesn't allow dynamic summat and I can't be fooked to change it :D

Gary, you forgot to mention about Karl trying to kill you by overtaking a camper van whilst towing you.... :D

He was most upset! :lol:

I was trying to forget that little adventure........ :P

As the old girl wouldnt start I had to find a way of getting it to Ring Racing or another garage. The others were all out on track when I saw Karl on his way out for a lap. I just managed to catch him and asked if he had a tow rope. Anyway he did so we did half a lap getting off at Briedshide to pick up his 220 mondeo and a tow rope. Back at the ring we got the 205 roped up and were ready to rock and roll.
    Now anyone who knows the ring knows the road from the entrance to Adenau is to say the least steep and twisty. Karl took the oppurtunity to turn this into a little adventure for me. He started by throwing things out the window at me, then decided to try to overtake slower moving traffic, with me attached :o To say it was an interesting journey would be an understatement. Mind you in fariness im used to driving that close to him, although normally im flashing my lights and telling him to get the hell out of the way :D

Gary

Originally posted by Gutmann pug@Jun 16 2005, 07:27 PM

Now anyone who knows the ring knows the road from the entrance to Adenau is to say the least steep and twisty.

Gary
    :o :o I remember that road well.

Dave - I live about 5 minutes drive from LEDA. If I can help in anyway such as picking bits up etc just let me know. I'm sure Clare's sister won't mind transporting a few suspension components in her SLK ;)

Chris
    2013 VW Passat Alltrack - the tow car
    1991 VW Golf GTi - the towed car

LOL @ Chris :D

Cheeky ba5tard :angry:
    Here lies the body of Mary Lee, died at the age of a hundred and three. For fifteen years she kept her virginity, not a bad record for this vicinity.

Cross Dressing Feckin Ringmeister - I'm going to have to kill you Kinghorn :angry:
    Here lies the body of Mary Lee, died at the age of a hundred and three. For fifteen years she kept her virginity, not a bad record for this vicinity.

I can only wish it was me who came up with name, but alas it wasn't. I hope that narrows down who it can of been?

Regular
    Another good trip with the journey there actually dry for a change.Sunday was a bit stop and go with closures etc but Monday was great with hardly any traffic,I was looking forward to another lap with Gary in the Pug but I had to do quite a few guiding laps as half the group had not been before,never mind,next time OK Gary? There was nothing about after 6ish so I did a few quick laps and managed a 8.10 which I was well chuffed with.See you there in July

The lap is in the bank waiting for you Simon, not a problem matey.

Oh and 8.10 is pretty hardcore.

Gary

Originally posted by Gutmann pug@Jun 17 2005, 11:36 AM
    I can only wish it was me who came up with name, but alas it wasn't. I hope that narrows down who it can of been?
    :blink:

Leda have just sent back my shock absorber FOC, which include rose joints....nice!

Just need the other side doing for a matching pair now

Finally realised how to get rid of the clunking Leda........

Could that be 968 club sport suspension Dave? ;)

F
    BMW 3.0 Z4 Roadster. Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI T2. Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000.

Thats the fella B)

Regular
    Hello Gary,got back from ring a couple of days ago,it was another good trip.I found out the guy timing me had added 20 secs for a flying lap so bridge to gantry its 7.50 which I was well chuffed with.I ran my new bike in on the way to the ring and its a lot quicker and lighter than the old one.Passed Sabine on one lap,she didn't look too pleased......damn cars getting in way.Had a passenger lap in an Aerial Atom(hope I spelt that right)...wow..I didn't realise scaffolding could travel that fast,it was really impressive.I'm over at the ring again this Friday for 3 days,if anyone from Northloop is over give me a shout if you've not been before and happily sit in the passenger seat and let you know whats coming up bendwise,I know bike and car lines will be slightly different but I can let you know if its left or right or flat out.I'll be on an 05 plate Suzuki GSXR 1000,black leathers with the word Crowtree on them in yellow,the Northloop sticker on the back of the bike is also a give away as well,let me know if you plan a Sept trip as I'd like to tag along,speak to you soon

+ Reply to Thread