+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 26 - 29 May 2006

Regular
    Does claire go well with chilli?! Sorry, couldn't resist.....
    Everyday car--> Volvo v70 D5 SE. Quite possibly the most comfortable car ever.
    Race car -->Peugeot 306

My videos- http://www.youtube.com/profile_video...mxpete&p=r

"I'm not calling you a liar, but you are not telling the truth".

Cool :thumb:

One thing tho Clare ;) It's not my Golf it's Claires! :lol:

....And Pete Rallye is a 'kin loon. :blink:

IanHowell
    Originally posted by GVK@May 31 2006, 09:35 PM
    Cool :thumb:

One thing tho Clare ;) It's not my Golf it's Claires! :lol:

....And Pete Rallye is a 'kin loon. :blink:
    I had a pax lap with Pete Rallye, very interesting going sideways through most corners at around 100mph... due to tyres being slightly off :o don't you just love lift off oversteer!!! :lol:

Has inspired me to sort out my Mk2 Golf now as he showed what can be achieved with good grip , handling and brakes...

oh, and yes he is a Fookin loon :thumb:

Cheers Pete,

Ian

Good to meet you Ian, (and everyone else off here I spoke too at the weekend btw!) our lap in convoy Sunday night was good fun.

Pete followed us out Sunday morning, caught us up at T13, let him pass and that was that..was out of sight after... not many corners. :thumb:

Going very very well.

Regular
    It's controlled loonacy! Yeah, me and ian had an interesting lap, my yoko's had given up about 4 laps previous, and mass understeer to plenty of lift off oversteer did make things interesting!

Was really good to meet everyone off of here also, hopefully won't be long before we can all meet up at Nurburg again.
    Race car -->Peugeot 306

IanHowell
    Hi Pete,

I loved every minute of it and would happilly get back in without the lid again :thumb:

Ian

Regular
    Everyone's welcome as a passenger. I like to do a few laps on my own, but otherwise I always enjoy having a passenger, although I do prefer it if they wear a lid! Anyone ever wants a pax lap, all you have to do is ask....
    Race car -->Peugeot 306

Great write up Clare, it was a good read and nice to hear so many Northlooper's were there. A good friendly bunch.

Gary
    I'm arresting you for murdering my car you dyke digging tosspot

Regular
    Excellent write up Clare :thumb: Looks like you all had a cracking weekend despite the rain.
    SteveM owes me 5
    I owe Dan 5
    Steve. Pay the man!

Well done, great write up Clare :thumb:
    Here lies the body of Mary Lee, died at the age of a hundred and three. For fifteen years she kept her virginity, not a bad record for this vicinity.

Fantastic write up there :)

Great report, Blooming weather again, i'm lucky enough to live close enough to decide on the morning wether i make the trip or not, I decided against it last weekend, well the weather and the hangover i had sunday morning ;)
    Ermmmmm

I actually forgot a bit and will add it later.

During my lap with Glen (GT3 owner) we came around Wipperman to Esbach to be warned by the spectators to slow down. Just as we went over the crest we could see 2 men on the right running as fast as they can.

A couple of metres later and it all became clear, they had parked their VX 220 on the right to help with an already crashed car a black BMW. The marshalls had now arrived and I guess their flagging duties were complete. But it would appear their VX 220 handbrake was not very good, as it rolled across the track picking up speed until it hit the marshalls car directly in front of me. It all seemed to happen in slow motion.

A few pics can be seen here:

http://www.racepicture.de/html/touristenfa...06_te_1401.html

Has left the building..................

Thats bad luck no wonder they are so quick looks like its made out of balsa wood, I'm more concerned with this pic, what next Jochen " DUCK!!!"

Ermmmmm

Regular
    Excellent read - and good to see you there again :thumb:

Euan
    When the flag drops, the bullshit stops!

Regular
    Originally posted by Dave Malings@Jun 1 2006, 09:32 AM
    I actually forgot a bit and will add it later.

During my lap with Glen (GT3 owner) we came around Wipperman to Esbach to be warned by the spectators to slow down. Just as we went over the crest we could see 2 men on the right running as fast as they can.

A couple of metres later and it all became clear, they had parked thier VX 220 on the right to help with an already crashed car a black BMW. The marshalls had now arrived and I guess their flagging duties were complete. But it would appear their VX 220 handbrake was not very good, as it rolled across the track picking up speed until it hit the marshalls car directly in front of me. It all seemed to happen in slow motion.

Good God. You have got to feel sorry for them :( What a mess the front of the car is & imagine the explanation on the insurance form. (Q)Who was driving? (A) No one!
    SteveM owes me 5
    I owe Dan 5
    Steve. Pay the man!

Dave did feel sorry for him, he said he actually felt quite bad about laughing :ph43r:
    Here lies the body of Mary Lee, died at the age of a hundred and three. For fifteen years she kept her virginity, not a bad record for this vicinity.

The Elise who crashed I recognise. Seen the number plate there a few times before. I think he is one of the gang who go with our Exige friends?

Regular
    Hi guys, good to meet a few of you last weekend. I was Pete's passenger for most of the weekend ... well at least when I wasn't walking from the bridge at Ex-Muhle back alongside the track to the start :lol:

Was my first time there and absolutely loved it. I didn't drive as I was only looking to get a feel for the place.

Great write up too Clare. Hope to get back over soon but to actually drive it this time. :)

Jim

What a weekend (well wed Tues). The car performed well and the company we met were good fun, especially like to include John & Helen, Dave & Clare, Ian & Jude, Nigel & Family. Myself & Brian had a ball, some awesome viewing at Adenau and the occasional dry lap to suit the Noble. I can officially promote Toyo and the new R888s, grip and wear were exceptional although they are a little noisy.
    However laid back it was not, I was so frustrated with the weather, call me a coward but the Noble hates the wet, so as soon as a dry line was apparent it was red alert, battle stations, 1,2 maybe 3 laps then downpour!!!! Trying to turn on that kind of concentration & getting that buzz , then for it to be followed by long periods of lows was exhausting. Lets hope for dry weather next time so driving might be when and as often as I like.
    To all those I promised to take out but could not I apologise, however I did manage 26 laps, non of which were on my own, hope Clare, Ian, Jude, Helen, Brian, Tim, etc, etc enjoyed there laps, I will get to the others next time. Did manage an 8.21 btg on Monday, not the worst. Mondays are now a must Dave (As you and Clare said).
    Went on to SPA on Tuesday, what a track, fast, wide, safe & yep, p**sing down. The grip levels were awesome, although someone still managed to total a two week old GT3 RS

Definitely going back 19/20 August, so who else

I'll look forward to a lap in that car, Clare talks about it a lot :angry:

I reckon a Northloop sticker would set it off a treat :thumb:

I can't stop being really boring about that lap. My work colleagues are sick of me talking about a car they've never heard of! LOL

Great to meet you Paul! :thumb:

Great report :thumb:

Shame about the weather, but it you can't have everything :(
    2013 VW Passat Alltrack - the tow car
    1991 VW Golf GTi - the towed car

Thanks Chris. It was a great weekend nonetheless...... The weather was pants, but as Dave said, the petrol bill could have been so much more had it been dry all of the time.

Clare

We still had a good few hours of dry on Saturday, most of Sunday and an hour or 2 on Monday. Not the total wash out.

And by getting on and off half way around, using the DH ticket machine, you can minimise the stress of the car park!

Dave

Very true Dave, and if you don't mention it too often the second entrance will stay as pleasant to use as it is at the moment :angry: :angry:

Hi all,

Wow, what a week it has been, non stop.

Driving from Somerset to Leicester on Saturday night, ready for the French car show at Brunters on the Sunday, after the show back to Leicester to change the front pads to Pagid Blues and change the brake fluid. All went smoothly until bleeding the rear caliper when I snapped off the nipple :blink: . Luckily enough of the nut is still left in not to leak. Phew!

Monday morning up at 3 am, left at 4am after packing the car, ferry from Dover at 8am, then it took us bloody ages to make it to the ring at 16.30 ish! We got lost 3 times at roadworks, plus the spray from the Belgian motorways reduced safe speed to 60mph for large stretches :gay: . A trip to the gift shop was the first obligatory stop, where Mark bought about 200 Euros worth of assorted stuff, stickers, jacket, t shirts etc. :rolleyes: (I'm only jealous, I only bought a T shirt).

Good to see one space in the car park, right in front of Dave and Clares Clio :wave:
    Good to meet you again Dave and to meet you for the first time Clare. B)
    Within 5 minutes of us arriving it absolutely threw it down with rain and hail, requiring us to seek shelter in the cars. My first lap out, following Dave and Nigel + others (fella in the A3, forgotten your name, sorry) was awful, the rain and standing water meant I had a 15 minute lap!!!!! :whistle: :shame:

I swapped over and let my mate Mark drive for the second lap, the track was still very wet but not as bad, as a result Mark drove a much faster lap than me. No way I could let him get away with a quicker lap than me, in my own car, so I went out for my second and final lap, this time following Nigel who had his family on board! :unsure: I REALLY enjoyed this lap, and stuck to Nigel, relying on his knowledge of the track. Some nice sideways action from him on one corner, which he later said was deliberate, but we're not so sure :P .

Some superb footage from Nigel (using Fast Films bullet cameras ;) ), looking forward to seeing it on here.

From there it was a thrash over to Spa, arrived at 21.55 with 5 minutes to order food!
    Two full days of filming at Spa, where we filmed and saw many of the same cars which had been at the ring on Monday. I had a quick chat with the fella with Noble :wave: .
    Weather was equally awful at Spa, resulting in an embarasing spin when filming in front of a customers Skyline GTR. :shame: Video to follow.....
    A dry line appeared after lunch on the Wednesday, giving me the chance to harrass faster machines. :D Had a good couple of laps behind a cautiously driven 911 GT3, where he would get a big lead on the straights (115mph was the most I could get from my 172), and I would reel him in once into the twisties.
    Also had a good dice with an ITR on semi slicks, he was a little quicker than me though.
    Left Spa at 16.00 on the Wednesday, got back to Leicester at midnight, then back to Somerset yesterday. I'm back up to Leicester today for a show at Rockingham over the weekend. zzzzzzz

The Clio was great throughout although we have a bad rumbling at times from the front left which could be a binding front pad expanding with heat of braking, or possibly a knackered front bearing?

Well, this trip took my tally of ring laps to a whopping 3 over the past two years! I will be 70 by the time I learn the track!

Cheers, Dave
    BMW Z4M Roadster

Thanks for the comments fishydave :thumb:

Originally posted by Karl@Jun 2 2006, 11:30 AM
    Very true Dave, and if you don't mention it too often the second entrance will stay as pleasant to use as it is at the moment :angry: :angry:
    I think Karl is trying to tell you something Dave ;)

Chris
    2013 VW Passat Alltrack - the tow car
    1991 VW Golf GTi - the towed car

Originally posted by Hammoc@Jun 2 2006, 10:00 PM
    I think Karl is trying to tell you something Dave ;)

Chris
    Yeah, shut your mouth Dave! ;)

But, if you come off with a normal lap ticket, it's going to cost you 2 laps to get round instead of one. Hmmm. Jahreskarters need only apply.

Regular
    I've got to say my jahreskarte was an excellent purchase. It made my first trip extra expensive, but since then, I have not had to pay for a single lap, which has probably 'saved' me 200 a trip. Plus the convienience of getting on and off at Adenau without worrying about paying for 2 laps is well worth it, plus I always used to avoid wet laps so I could use my ticket for dry laps. Now I can go out whenever, and I learnt loads about the best lines, been smooth etc in the wet on this trip. It's amazing how much extra speed you can carry through a corner, even in standing water, if you get your line right.
    Race car -->Peugeot 306

Regular
    I had an absolutely brilliant 2 days at the nurburgring aswell, and found out about this website which was a definate high point.

I was over with a few other scottish elise guys and we headed to Spa for 2 days afterwards. I was in the yellow S1 elise, and the two 340R's were with me, amongst others.

I only really know the golf guys, but i met nobleman (managed to help him get a space at spa), and a guy with a mazda 6. i'm terrible with names, and not even that great with faces, but i look forward to getting back out there.
    MY GARAGE

Elise Type R - 220 bhp

Audi A6 - boring spec

Originally posted by mckeann@Jun 4 2006, 01:58 AM
    and a guy with a mazda 6. i'm terrible with names, and not even that great with faces, but i look forward to getting back out there.
    Hi,

That was me, I came over to ask if you were the driver of the Elise, I think you thought I was going to thump you or something by your face !!. I was just checking I hadnt held you up too much when I moved out of your way, then we had a good chat. I had hoped to see you again on the Monday, but didnt see you around, either I kissed you or you decided to not go due to the rain.

Nige.

Originally posted by Nige@Jun 4 2006, 06:51 PM
    either I kissed you
    :gay: :greddy: :hehegay:

Regular
    Originally posted by Dave Malings@Jun 4 2006, 07:43 PM
    :gay: :greddy: :hehegay:
    bit to friendly there Nige :gayfight: :hehegay:
    SteveM owes me 5
    I owe Dan 5
    Steve. Pay the man!

:o :lol:

Started to write my trip report here

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92409

I need to get a lap top and write the reports each night of the trip, when I'm bouncing off the walls, cos I can't sleep... :huh:

+ Reply to Thread