PDA

View Full Version : 8th to 12 th May Report @ The Nordschleife

Cal
14-05-2008, 11:00 PM
Written within the SIDC domain but lots of pics for you all to digest......

( bear in mind it's written for a non-Northloop audience)

http://forums.sidc.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=116070

Have only really just got started on it to be honest......

Funniest tale yet to come !

Cheers
Cal

Nige
15-05-2008, 07:56 AM
Great so far :thumb: Hurry up and get the rest written :lol:

(A few of the pics in the first part are duplicated / in the wrong place )

Cal
17-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Final two days pictures and narratives now added at the end of my original posts

Jim Cameron
17-05-2008, 09:23 PM
Excellent, enjoyed it :thumb:

Nige
17-05-2008, 10:45 PM
I fully appreciate the time it takes to write a report, so thanks for sharing that with us :thumb: I enjoyed reading it :D

Cal
17-05-2008, 11:15 PM
In all fairness fellas it was your goodselves who set the benchmark !

I assume the Ringhaus and Burgstube have parted company. Frank gave me an odd look when I enquired about Martin and Andy. I had no idea about this until I looked at the Burstube website and out 2+2 together :blink:

Cheers
Cal

Simon
18-05-2008, 11:23 AM
Nice report, Cal :thumb:

I think that they were linked last year to help each other out with staffing etc but now they are both on their own.

Floyd
18-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Thanks for that :thumb:

Stu-7
19-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Cal,
An excellent report; thanks for writing-up.
Captured a lot of the feelings and excitement from my own first trip back in 2003. It's funny that after a few visits, the frantic nature of an out-lap right_in_the_middle of a busy morning becomes almost second-nature, although I remember with frightening clarity how pant-cackingly scared I was when on my first-lap, on the run down to Schwedenkreuz, an Astra GTE shed went down my outside, followed by a 996 GT3 on the inside, then the Zakspeed Viper right after it, who did them both on the turn-in to SX :karl:

The circuit looked great - you were very lucky with the weather, as well as to get a VLN race viewage in :thumb:

For me, the TF on public weekends is over - just too much risk with all the recent oil-spills. Idiots I can deal with - but not oil and coolant on the track.

Top write-up and glad you all got back ok in one piece.

Stu

Cal
19-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Despite having only two trips under my belt I reckon it would have been wiser to extend my stay till the FT all-dayer on Monday.

I dare say that the locals pitched up later en-masse but the car park looked (relatively) dead ! I was pretty gutted as I headed of to Amsterdam.

We left early on the Monday having experience horrendous traffic on the way out. The roads were DEAD and we nailed the autohahn for miles and arrived in Holland about 10.30 am ! Could have got some laps in in the morning instead

One thing that bugged me about the Ring is the ffaster cars that creep up and pass you on the straight, only to hold you up on the corners.

I also note that Ferrari are driven by posers ( in the most part) and drive very slowly yet Porsches are driven quickly !

Hey-ho !

Diamond Hell
19-05-2008, 06:16 PM
The Monday was MASSIVELY quieter. We got four laps in before 10AM - I was tempted to buy another four, but thought that would have been tempting fate, so we had a cup of tea out of the camper and headed off.

Ferraris - I even passed one (UK V reg one).

As for the 911s, yes a lot of them are faster, but there were a couple of 993 turbos I passed on one lap, both French registered. Drivers must have been taking it well easy. :D

Cal
19-05-2008, 06:27 PM
I have found that from where I am sat in the UK at my PC, I always think " god I wish I'd got more laps in..." then when I am out there I am thankful that my cars in one piece and that I have had no incidents and inevitably call it a day early ! You cannot win.

If I was trailering my car there that's different but the world's best insurance policy is being able to drive home. Tends to mellow you a bit !

Plus I have a 6 month old son who stares back at me every time I use my mobile phone.

I am confident oy my own abilities but there are some folk out there who take huge risks and dont have the knowledge to bale themselves out if things go a bit Pete Tong.

I have a Toyota Celica fly past me on one straight ( after sitting up my a$$ for a while) and he nearly lost if at the next bend when he jumped on the brakes mid-corner habing run our of track, brakes, skill. I then cruised past him and gave him an obscure look :jerk:

texas2201
25-05-2008, 04:42 PM
I got 19 laps in on the Monday :D

Joel
25-05-2008, 05:11 PM
I managed 2.5 laps on the Monday, comfortably beating the 0 I managed on the Sunday. That was nothing to do with it being busy though... :(

p1doc
25-05-2008, 06:26 PM
nice report cal and nice pic of my scooby passing your hotel!
i wanted to stay on mon but spa trackday was monday as well which was good fun :D
martin

Diamond Hell
26-05-2008, 12:40 AM
Just read your whole report. It's a good read, but I think you must have posted the most convincing proof of the 'Top Gear Effect' that's caused the alleged recent massive increase in Brits stacking their cars.

You even stated your brother thought you were taking more risks chasing time down.

I've done a few laps out there and I've no idea how long any of them (bar one) took and the passenger who slyly timed that one got a right dressing down from me after I'd found out.

Maybe it's just cos I run low powered cars that I'm not interested in the times I do, but it just seems like an unnecessary risk to be taking. :fish:

Sorry to sound like a right dullard :(

Cal
29-05-2008, 05:57 PM
I agree with the Top Gear affect but when I refer to risks I am talking about calculated ones i.e backing off the gas when I feel the tyres going off, taking a kerb I would not normally take ( but I know it's do-able), pinning the throttle earlier, knowing where the + ve cambers are etc etc

I am not talking about nailing it and taking careless wreckless risks.......

I feel that many people turn up at the Ring and don't generally appreciate weight transfer, grip levels, scrubbing off speed without braking, colder/damper tarmac where shade resides.

So what I am trying to say is that I appreciate your comment but I would not class myself as an out and out risk taker. To this end, I would call it "acceptable risk"

10 min market is very do-able ( for me) in my opinion BUT I rarely get a clear track. I did a 10.07 on my first sighting lap on a clear-ish run. I guess it's just frustrating.

However, I do take on all the feedback in here and comments like " Brits are the most likely to crash, especially just after lunchtime"

The Ring bites back and I definately appreciate that :thumb:

Thanks for commenting

Cal