PDA

View Full Version : Another two infections

Darran
30-04-2008, 09:56 AM
As always I didn't get around to taking any photos not much of a report to make. However, this is an extract from an email I've just received from my Father which I thought others here might find amusing:

Originally posted by Steve
Its ok though its not an addiction, I can handle it. Its not as if I can't wait to go again or any thing. Its not as if I am watching Sabina Schmidt and others on Youtube. Its not as if I am visiting Nurburgring websites. Its not as if I am picking up copies of Evo magazine and thumbing through in Tesco's. I can handle it!

The original plan was for my Father and Uncle to give me a lift out to pick up my car once fixed. As that was no longer going to happen we just booked a trip for them to find out what all the fuss is about and why I keep rabbiting on about this place in the back end of nowhere, half way across Europe.

Within 10 minutes of arriving at Brünchen on Saturday afternoon and with their heads still spinning trying to take it all in, a Z4 and Leon decided to put on a little show of synchronised spinning for us on the approaching left to B1. A walk along the track to Pflanzgarten to see the cars over the jump and at proper speed saw us to the end of the race and we retired to the car park to sort a few things out, then on to RSR to see if Dale could find us a car and instructor for Sunday. He kindly obliged, despite my Uncle's best attempts to insult Dale with Northern jibes about pigeons and whippets.

Luckily, just as we arrived, Ron was about to give a briefing to some of the other Sunday customers and we got to sit in on this which was enlightening both for the first timers and I certainly learnt more than I expected, despite having sat through the same briefing two years ago.

Sunday saw us at the track bright and early. I did a couple of laps on my own just to remind myself of the place and check I wasn't going to have a nervous breakdown driving through Hedwigs Höhe. All well, my Father lowered himself into the seat with some apprehension and off we went. I tried my best to talk him around the lap, but answers were few and far between and often blue. Back to the car park and my Uncle jumped in for the next lap and was similarly in awe of the place by the end.

Another passenger lap each preceded retirement to the GH to watch the GP while they considered their fate that was rapidly approaching.

The format was to be 1 hour with Ed driving one of the Clios and giving instructions over the radio while they followed on behind in the other Clio. The second hour swapped to a single car with Ed passengering with each of them in turn. My Uncle jumped in first and loved it with Ed commenting that he didn't make as many mistakes as he'd have expected. After two laps sitting in the passenger seat my Father had decided it wasn't for him. Luckily none of us were going to take no for an answer so he agreed to one slow lap. 2 not so slow laps later we're back at the GH and my Uncle is telling tales of a whooping and hollering driver who was loving it. They then both got a lap with Ed in the passenger seat to advise more directly and we called it a day.

A good indication of whether they enjoyed it again was given back in Calais at the Eurotunnel - when asked where they'd been by passport control they babbled like teenagers that they'd been to the Nürburgring, "at our age!" and given half the chance would have talked his ear off about it.

I think my step-mother might be a bit annoyed with me when she realises what I've done.

Nige
30-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Oh dear, now you`ve done it, you do know that in future when you say you are popping over, they will be asking to tag along too :lol:

Gary Kinghorn
30-04-2008, 10:33 AM
:thumb:

Darran
30-04-2008, 10:50 AM
On the tunnel out, my Uncle was already talking about replacing his MGB in the garage with an MX5 as it looks like it'd be more useable. On the way back there was talk of him and Dad buying one to use as a track car. I'm definitely in trouble. :)

I didn't half feel stupid introducing myself to Darren as LexSport around "normal" people though.

Ash Mitchell
30-04-2008, 10:53 AM
My old man was like that with me going to track days here, then he went round combe to 'see what all the fuss was about' now he just wont shut up about it and keeps asking whats next! I know i cant wait to go to the Nürburgring for the first time...hate to think my old man would be like :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nige
30-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by LexSport@Apr 30 2008, 11:50 AM
I didn't half feel stupid introducing myself to Darren as LexSport around "normal" people though.
thats why I chose `Nige` as my forum name, make life SO much easier :D

Simon
01-05-2008, 07:46 AM
Simon is easier than a forum name and you can now see why Gary changed his from Gutman Pug :lol:

handpaper
01-05-2008, 09:08 AM
My dad retired in March after 41 years as an independent car mechanic.
He's just moved to a lovely bungalow in mid-Wales with a large garage.
I'm thinking he needs a hobby :whistle:

BCA
01-05-2008, 09:56 AM
:veryhappy:

Trying to talk Dad into a trip later this year...