PDA

View Full Version : My trip report from last June!

Dave T
15-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Seeing as I joined your great forum last year and haven't contibuted much, here's my report from last year. It was created just after we finished the trip!

102 days until we visit again and I'm already excited about it. ;)

http://www.homepages.mcb.net/davet/ring-report/

Nige
15-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Thats a good report, you had your fair share of `incidents`..

mike
16-03-2008, 07:59 AM
i was there on the 16th thought i recognised the golf with the ronal turbo's. we were ment to go to lemans that weekend but decided when we got off the boat to sack it off and go to the ring, lucky it was open really deffinatly dont regrett going cant wait to get back this year.

Gary Kinghorn
16-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Thanks for sharing your report :thumb:

As said you had your fair share of problems by the look of it :(

bimmer
16-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Excellent report.... a bit late though :D

Floyd
16-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Was it the first trip for any of the people who had crashed?

Dave T
16-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Yes, it's a bit late posting it up for you guys :) we did have our fair share of problems, golf into the wall, evo written off, G60 golf dropping engine at Dunkirk, scooby dropping nose into a ditch in at Brunnchen, lots of crashes on track right in front of us.

Fantastic trip though.

Edit: The guy that bumped the wall had been before. The guy with the evo (Dave), it was his first trip, he let his mate have a couple of laps. That's when the accident happened at Hocheichen. Destoryed the car. His mate was insured and it was all above board. A few months later, Dave bought a new evo but sadly died in an accident a couple of weeks after buying it :(

Here's the car, a lap before the crash: http://www.homepages.mcb.net/davet/ring_pics/dscf2515.jpg

And the brake disk, notice what's wrong?
http://www.homepages.mcb.net/davet/ring_pics/dscf2603.jpg

Gary Kinghorn
16-03-2008, 07:19 PM
If it was it shows the importance of places like this where you can gain info and be prepared and chilled prior to getting there.
It also shows the benefit of ringweekend and the Nurburgring experience where you get a safety briefing before going out on track :thumb:

Floyd
16-03-2008, 08:07 PM
There's huge pressure on first timers to be quick, ever since Clarksons trip. They think that they must prove that they can be fast on their first trip. I've been driving 26 years and I hardly know anything as my driver training shows :(

Gary Kinghorn
16-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Sorry to hear about your friend too :(

Dave T
16-03-2008, 08:44 PM
All the guys that went are all sensible and far from being tear-a-way teenagers driving daddies souped up car. However, if sites such as this and Bens site, with all information they contain, were not readily available I expect things would have been a lot more interesting and expensive.

Originally, I was wanting to book a trip with ringweekends, in fact, I'm still on the mailing list! The problem with this was trying to convince 20 guys that a guided first trip would be the way to go. Everyone behaved and all of the guys were considerate to other users. Also, no one timed their laps.

This my first lap, sitting tight to the right kerb, slow and sh*tting my pants! http://images.mw-sportfoto.de/galerie/phot...6touri10283.jpg (http://images.mw-sportfoto.de/galerie/photopath/2007/touri/070616a/20070616touri10283.jpg)

I must get in touch with the mw-sportfoto guy, I want to buy some pictures from him!

Dave

hadoq
17-03-2008, 07:05 AM
nice and interresting report, I must say I'm sorry for your buddy Dave.

my first (and only, so far) lap was 16 minutes, and I don't expect any of my next laps to be under 14.

it's true when you get there you want to accelerate and you believe years of racing sim on the ring would give you an edge. but then you seen the 1st corners and realise.

I was surprised to read you've seen/had that much accidents tho, but as said, I only was there once and we were maybe 7 or 8, maximum 10 cars on the track that day.

fist I was afraid of fast cars and not getting in their way, but then you just realise, the faster cars are obviously more experienced drivers (or they might have crashed already) so it takes some weight off the chest when driving.

how many laps did you do ? what did you notice as you kept going back on the track ? were you faster ? slower ? more or less confident ?

Dave T
17-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by hadoq@Mar 17 2008, 08:05 AM
how many laps did you do ? what did you notice as you kept going back on the track ? were you faster ? slower ? more or less confident ?
The very first lap was interesting and I had a fairly good idea what to expect and fully intended to plod around and treat it as a sighting lap. For the first three or four miles my maximum speed didn't exceed 70mph and I spent most of my time looking in my mirrors amazed at the speed cars, bikes and vans were closing us down. We were probably over cautious on the first lap but didn't hold anyone up or cause a danger.

The following laps started to get a little quicker and we started to catch other cars. We still got wasted by others on track but resisted the urge to chase other cars and bikes.

The final couple of laps of the trip were nice. Fast and flowing but felt safe. We were able to carry a fair bit speed and were catching and passing bikes and cars that had been overtaking us days before. All within my self imposed safety zone.

The one thing that kept going through my head was that we had nearly 1000 miles driving to get home after this and I wanted to make sure that I made the homeward journey in the car rather than on the back of a breakdown truck.

Some observations, in no particular order and things to do on the next trip:

* Continue to drive within my abilities, don't be tempted to chase other cars. Even if it makes you look like the slowest person out there!
* Get a wet lap in.
* Don't pax with someone who is erratic.
* Get lots of laps in. (spent too much time talking bollocks in the carpark)
* Under no circumstances drive someone elses car.

What's your views on on-board video?

Floyd
17-03-2008, 11:45 AM
My first 2 laps were in someone else's car :whistle: I did have Ben Lovejoy in the passenger seat to guide me round though.

"* Don't pax with someone who is erratic."

Unfortunately, it's only once you leave the barriers that you find this out :lol:

I'd say I learnt the most from the passenger seat. You can really get a feel for the place and how to approach some of the bends, which I worked up to later as a driver. I have become a worse passenger now though - too many scary drivers have seen to that.

Each time I go back to the Ring after a break, I have to build up the speed again. I'm not a naturallly fast driver and it takes me a lot of practise to get quick again.