PDA

View Full Version : june 05 Hobbs first time (ahem)

hobgoblin
06-02-2006, 04:02 PM
well am now planning my second trip and since i have my computer back (it was broke)
and i have time (av bin banned from driving and am a lorry driver :rolleyes: )
i thought ad tell you about my first trip
just so u can roll your eyes at the guy who hasnt yet gotten over losing his nurburg cherry :D

after talkin to a couple of mates about the nurburg i decided i had to go
enough "ad love to go"
i was going to do it
bein terrible for putting things off i decided to organise a trip and started posting stuff on some local car related websites neatly trapping myself as ppl would be relying on me so i had no choice but to get on with it

the plan worked i dragged my heels alot but i planned it and june 10th 05 myself and andy V6 set off in my CTR with chris in his omega 3.0ltr (since dino tested @ 240bhp 30bhp more than i should have :thumb: )

we travelled down from grantham lincs to thurrock services just above the dartford crossing and met starsky superteg and keith in 2 modified integra type-rs

i wont bore you with the whole jurney
but i did get my car to a sattelite confirmed 150mph not bad as i think i had a couple of mph left and it was standard then except for EBC discs with red stuff pads

sat morning

woke to the sound of high powered engines we had heared the track wasn't open till the afternoon we eventually guessed it must be a race and it was :D

watched the endurance race (8 hours i think) and l8r got my chance to go on the ring bought 6 laps spoke to gary whilst i waited to go on i recognised the 205 from pics gary had posted on streetlife after i had e-mailed him for advice about my trip he offered me a passenger lap for sunday B)

first lap slow but fun followed a vw sharran couldn't keep up for long think somebody mentioned a porche powered large vw on here so i hope that was it :P
finnished the lap with a tear in my eye mission accomplished i was very happy
to understate things slightly

gary had advised us to be @ the track early on sunday so we got some food and went back to our tents and drank some beer round the campfire

sunday

we were @ the track for 8 got a great early lap in even overtook a couple of cars still slow but not as slow then whilst i let the car cool down i was filming some cars goin settin off a voice said behind me "u want that lap" i was grinnin before we started i will try to avoid too much inuendo but that was a great 9 mins gary :whistle:

by this time my GT4 based track knowlege was starting to help as i could piece together what i knew and what i had seen and my lap times fell on my 4th lap i overtook a dodge viper 8.3ltr V10 i know they dont handle but hey i was chuffed i was drivin a civic and i beat a viper easily
overtook some M3s an M5 and a corvette over my next 2 laps the last 1 being my only lap on my own and i got a 9.15 well happy with that this year i plan to get below 9 but i dont want to push any harder than that after all am drivin my daily runner out there :)

photos to follow
big thanks to all who helped make it a great w/end

Gary Kinghorn
06-02-2006, 06:51 PM
:thumb:

Floyd
06-02-2006, 07:03 PM
9:15 on your 6th lap :nono: We've done this to death :(

The general consensus is that timing early laps is just encouraging all newbies to do the same and push early on the back of GT4 experience.

No time is believed on here unless on video btw. Not saying I don't believe you as you probably did.

150MPH - in which country? I came home with a HUGE :blink: bill when I was in a hurry in Belgium :(

What have you done to get that fast?

Have fun but play safe.

F

hobgoblin
07-02-2006, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Floyd@Feb 6 2006, 08:03 PM
9:15 on your 6th lap :nono: We've done this to death :(

The general consensus is that timing early laps is just encouraging all newbies to do the same and push early on the back of GT4 experience.

No time is believed on here unless on video btw. Not saying I don't believe you as you probably did.

150MPH - in which country? I came home with a HUGE :blink: bill when I was in a hurry in Belgium :(

What have you done to get that fast?

Have fun but play safe.

F
fair points about not gettin nurburg virgins to push too hard

i agree

with me i was very carefull for my first 2 laps but after those and my pax lap with gary what i knew from GT4 just seemed to fit into place with my 3 real laps and i knew where i was it was weird to be honest it all just seemed to make sense and soon i was going a lot faster than i thought i would in so few laps but then i always have been very confident behind the wheel

as for the 150mph ask on the CTR website most ppl will tell u a civic type-r will do 150 out of the box mine was showing 156 on the clock but my friends speed camera detecter had already told me i was doing a real speed of 146 @ 152 by my speedo so 6 mph out at that kind of speed :blink:
therefore 156 works out as 150mph i accept my speedo may have lost another 1mph over the 4 mph between 152 & 156 but am happy to claim my 150 i have footage from my camera phone showing over 150 on the clock that i will happily send to gary or post on a site if someone can tell me where to put it i use photobucket for my pics but i dont know of 1 for vids

thanks for the feedback btw i totally accept the proof thing B) maybe next time am @ the ring i can take another northlooper for a spin (not literally i hope :lol: )

hobgoblin
07-02-2006, 01:25 AM
btw just read my own reply am a little worryed that u may think i was not taking your post in the spirit intended mite be just me but i just wanted to clarify you are right i wouldnt encourage anyone to time there first few laps
its just me i have no patience :lol: and as for GT4 against the real thing it is accurate
but it takes a wile to fit the virtual knowlage alongside the real thingbut once you have a few laps behind u GT4 really does help and its amazing how the real track has helped me when i go back to playing GT4 :thumb: :P

and i forgot to mention i didnt get caught in belgium but i did get caught here i currently have a 6 month ban after passing an unmarked too fast on a very quiet early morning (01:30hrs) A1 near grantham :(

i have 7 weeks to go till am back on the road
so as am a lorry driver am gonna have a lot of debt by the time i can have my job back ahh well i did the crime so al take the time DOH!!!

Gary Kinghorn
07-02-2006, 06:54 AM
That speed on a public road :nono: :nono: :nono: I would suggest you remove reference to that on here. It will not go down well and we certainly don't condone it..... :o

Gary

hobgoblin
07-02-2006, 12:27 PM
post edited slightly
i will add i only overtook 2 vehicles as it was early hours even the officer who stopped me didnt think it was dangerous he just said i should be going that fast which is true i dont condone it i was wrong and am now payin the price approx 16,000 in lost wages and am stuck in grantham
only reason i mentioned it was
floyd had implied i was lucky in belgium i was just pointing out i wasnt as lucky as he thinks
still we live and learn :rolleyes:

Floyd
07-02-2006, 01:51 PM
My bill wasn't that big :( :blink:

I guess your insurance will be 'interesting' for a while too :whistle:

As for the speed, well I'm not questioning that your car can do it as most can these days. Even my car touched 160 before Daves heart exploded which stopped play :hehegay: I just wanted to know what mods you've done to the car (if you say neons you'll be banned ;) )?

F

Gary Kinghorn
07-02-2006, 02:05 PM
:thumb:

hobgoblin
10-02-2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Floyd@Feb 7 2006, 02:51 PM
My bill wasn't that big :( :blink:

I guess your insurance will be 'interesting' for a while too :whistle:

As for the speed, well I'm not questioning that your car can do it as most can these days. Even my car touched 160 before Daves heart exploded which stopped play :hehegay: I just wanted to know what mods you've done to the car (if you say neons you'll be banned ;) )?

F

yeah i don't like to think of it like that but theres the facts :(

as for mods
at that time just the brakes EBC grooved & vented with redstuff pads

since then av had a powerflow cat back and custom induction kit
av not had it on a dino but it does feel like i have more torque not really more powerfull sounds great on song tho :)

*wispers* i do have some white neon in the grill shhhhhhhh :P

andyv6
10-02-2006, 11:15 PM
was definately a quality trip. think this time we will have to go for longer though, and thanks to gary and hobgoblin for leaving me at the side of the toll with two video cameras to attempt to film with!! :gayfight: ....don't mind me, i'll be fine :ph43r: :lol:

thats the quickest i've ever seen him move when gary asked if he wanted that lap :lol:

hobgoblin
25-02-2006, 09:37 AM
yeah i remember that well

andy here camera bye lol

was great too gary sure knows his way round the ring :thumb:

shaskins
17-03-2006, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by hobgoblin@Feb 6 2006, 05:02 PM
well am now planning my second trip and since i have my computer back (it was broke)
and i have time (av bin banned from driving and am a lorry driver :rolleyes: )
i thought ad tell you about my first trip
just so u can roll your eyes at the guy who hasnt yet gotten over losing his nurburg cherry :D

after talkin to a couple of mates about the nurburg i decided i had to go
enough "ad love to go"
i was going to do it
bein terrible for putting things off i decided to organise a trip and started posting stuff on some local car related websites neatly trapping myself as ppl would be relying on me so i had no choice but to get on with it

the plan worked i dragged my heels alot but i planned it and june 10th 05 myself and andy V6 set off in my CTR with chris in his omega 3.0ltr (since dino tested @ 240bhp 30bhp more than i should have :thumb: )

we travelled down from grantham lincs to thurrock services just above the dartford crossing and met starsky superteg and keith in 2 modified integra type-rs

i wont bore you with the whole jurney
but i did get my car to a sattelite confirmed 150mph not bad as i think i had a couple of mph left and it was standard then except for EBC discs with red stuff pads

sat morning

woke to the sound of high powered engines we had heared the track wasn't open till the afternoon we eventually guessed it must be a race and it was :D

watched the endurance race (8 hours i think) and l8r got my chance to go on the ring bought 6 laps spoke to gary whilst i waited to go on i recognised the 205 from pics gary had posted on streetlife after i had e-mailed him for advice about my trip he offered me a passenger lap for sunday B)

first lap slow but fun followed a vw sharran couldn't keep up for long think somebody mentioned a porche powered large vw on here so i hope that was it :P
finnished the lap with a tear in my eye mission accomplished i was very happy
to understate things slightly

gary had advised us to be @ the track early on sunday so we got some food and went back to our tents and drank some beer round the campfire

sunday

we were @ the track for 8 got a great early lap in even overtook a couple of cars still slow but not as slow then whilst i let the car cool down i was filming some cars goin settin off a voice said behind me "u want that lap" i was grinnin before we started i will try to avoid too much inuendo but that was a great 9 mins gary :whistle:

by this time my GT4 based track knowlege was starting to help as i could piece together what i knew and what i had seen and my lap times fell on my 4th lap i overtook a dodge viper 8.3ltr V10 i know they dont handle but hey i was chuffed i was drivin a civic and i beat a viper easily
overtook some M3s an M5 and a corvette over my next 2 laps the last 1 being my only lap on my own and i got a 9.15 well happy with that this year i plan to get below 9 but i dont want to push any harder than that after all am drivin my daily runner out there :)

photos to follow
big thanks to all who helped make it a great w/end
thats a very impressive time for 6 laps experience, just shows how capable the ctr is. My best is an 8.47 BTG and thats after 60 laps so I'll wave as you go past me this year!

went round in a spec c last year under 8 mins and my eyes were some what widened after that experience with lines used I did'nt know even existed!!

hobgoblin
17-03-2006, 10:44 PM
i take it you drive a CTR too

like you say very capable cars so easy to use on the limit as for this year i want to go sub 9 mins but thats it so don't be too ready to wave :lol: but if your there first w/end in july do wave to say hello :thumb:

oh also there was an endurance race that w/end so i think the track was extra grippy with all that fresh rubber laid down that probably helped
(not to mention the loose nut behind the steering wheel :whistle: )

not sure if i will still have the hobgoblin sunscreen (1st M.O.T before then so it will have to come off) but the car will probly still have the hobgoblin name somewhere so i should be easy to spot

i am always ready to learn from those with more experience than me so seeing you lap sub 9mins would be interesting :D :thumb: