PDA

View Full Version : Ring virgin on winter tyres - interesting!

M-W
22-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Hi all, I guess I am a little late in the season but better that than never. I signed on in Sep but have been pretty pants at contributing.

Having done the 75 Experience in late Jul I picked up a fairly ropey LHD E30 325i for a snip at 300 (I am fortunate to live just over an hour north of the ring). It had been sat in all weathers for god only knows how long, with 14" steel rims and skinny winter tyres. I managed to get to the ring at the weekend and coaxed it round 4 laps in something less than a competitive B to G time but then again I reckon 12 mins should be the new becnhmark, in which case I should quit when I am ahead. Oh yes, I had three passengers whole are all now completely sold on the the place. There really is something about the place isn't there.

The beemer is at the start of its Ring life, I hope, but needs some TLC first. Will keep posting updates as I have a feeling I am for an emotional ride with this car.

If anybody is planning another trip this year please let me know. I will try and get down at every opportunity so good to meet up.

All the best

Oh, if anybody is interested in a reasoanble nick LHD 320i for 500 quid let me know. Pictures to follow. My neighbour has one for sale.

Adam

Not bad for 300
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc64/adammw/106_0698.jpg

Ring tyres but at least it has got shiny blue valve dust caps
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc64/adammw/106_0697.jpg

IanHowell
22-10-2007, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by M-W@Oct 22 2007, 11:23 PM
There really is something about the place isn't there.

YES there is :thumb:

Welcome to the Site.

Keep us updated on the modifications you do in the "Projects Section"

Ian

Jim Cameron
22-10-2007, 10:44 PM
;) Hello mate. Glad '300' held up for the first trip!

Out next Sat? :whistle:

Weeman
23-10-2007, 07:14 AM
Hi Adam

I live near heinsberg, I take it from the number plate your in Monchengladbach, I forget the base name, but here it everyday on BFBS hehe

soopdragon
23-10-2007, 07:18 AM
I am based in JHQ and live by MG Stadium. I intend to go down once more this year but haven't planned dates due to the weather.

Weeman
23-10-2007, 07:20 AM
ahhhh cool, I pass that all the time on the 61 as i'm on the way to Dusseldorf and essen (customers) In fact will be going that way tomorrow to pick up some alloys for the bmw in Kaarst :D

Jim Cameron
23-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by IanHowell@Oct 22 2007, 10:36 PM
Keep us updated on the modifications you do in the "Projects Section"

Ian, he can call it the 'Bits I've wangled off Jim and attached to my car' thread. :P

He's already made a play for my spare alloys and the current suspension... I think Adam will be a regular over the next two years :wave:

TheDeadPrussian
23-10-2007, 07:49 PM
New here, but just thought I'd drop in and say 'hello' :wave:

I was one of the passengers in the 300 'Ring Beemer'. As Adam said, absolutely sold on the whole experience and looking forward to trying to get to grips with the place (if that is ever possible).

Winter tyres, I have to say were interesting :P and there were a couple of real understeery moments.
Adam is off hunting for bits this weekend, so an update on progress shortly.

Mark.

Gary Kinghorn
23-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Welcome to the forum guys :thumb:

M-W
24-10-2007, 08:13 PM
Great to hear from people. The '300' Beemer will hit the project pages just as soon as Mark (The Deadprussian) and I have been and done some parts shopping. Keep your garage door locked Jim!

Anybody planning a trip 25 Nov?

Why don't my emoticons work?

OK, off to search for some brakes/rubber/cage and probably a new engine as the current one doesn't sound too great!

Adam

Jim Cameron
26-10-2007, 01:02 PM
Working on the suspension mate...

Will be out in November, just sorting the details :thumb:

Weeman
26-10-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by M-W@Oct 24 2007, 10:13 PM
Great to hear from people. The '300' Beemer will hit the project pages just as soon as Mark (The Deadprussian) and I have been and done some parts shopping. Keep your garage door locked Jim!

Anybody planning a trip 25 Nov?

Why don't my emoticons work?

OK, off to search for some brakes/rubber/cage and probably a new engine as the current one doesn't sound too great!

Adam
Adam, For brakes, keep Std disks, use Ds3000's or less if you prefer, mine has the 3000's and stops quicker than a fat man at the drive through.

Cage, I've just purchased one from Weichers sport in germany, 6 point bolt in with rear cross and harness bar, 600 euros. Suspension you couldn't go wrong with a H+R cup kit (if your keeping to a budget) which seem to come well reccomended, But dont listen to me on suspension i'm an idiot when it comes to this :lol:

try here mate, just up the road in Bochum, just about as cheap as you'll find and if you cant get it here it aint worth having :lol:

http://www.sandtler.de/

I have the whole brochure at home, if I see you on monday, I'll bring it with me.

handpaper
26-10-2007, 11:11 PM
Weeman, are OE BMW discs really that good? I had a set on the 320i briefly which seemed OK with DS2500s.
I'd like to run Pagid RS29s (Yellows) again; awesome stopping power, but they ruined two sets of ATE "OE grade" discs in under 40 laps. Cracked and warped, not worn out but overheated to death :angry:

Jim Cameron
29-10-2007, 02:33 PM
Well...

did you get down to the Ring again this weekend?

Weeman
29-10-2007, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by handpaper@Oct 27 2007, 01:11 AM
Weeman, are OE BMW discs really that good? I had a set on the 320i briefly which seemed OK with DS2500s.
I'd like to run Pagid RS29s (Yellows) again; awesome stopping power, but they ruined two sets of ATE "OE grade" discs in under 40 laps. Cracked and warped, not worn out but overheated to death :angry:
I try not to do too many back to back laps, but you might be right on the disks overheating/warping, although so far mine are ok

M-W
29-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the top tips. Weeman, I am glad you are coming tomorrow - you know I said I was new to this............... boy have I got a lot to learn

No ring action this weekend Jim, how does the 25th look to you? Bit of a break through on the domestic chief and ring acceptance front................

Heavans have just opened in Germany - let's hope it doesn't last. I would hate to think that the last dry weekend of the year has just passed by!!

alclark
29-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Is this you M-W? Can't be many insane camber E30's with hubcabs on!! :D

http://rsrc4.bubbleshare.com/media/00/8b/b2/4b/9dee854308bbe9f9a333918e73b31a1d2ef3b406/580x435/DSCF1548_580x435.jpg

Jim Cameron
29-10-2007, 08:07 PM
That's the puppy!

Adam, 25th is a bit late - 15/16/17/18/19? Bet that clashes with fusion, doesn't it :angry:

Weeman
30-10-2007, 06:24 AM
pmsl at the camber on that

That ascona is lovely too, guys on Nurb Nl.

Adam, I'm all set to pop up tonight, punted the balloon tyres last night lol

I'll gladly give you any tips or hints I have, I aint always followed em on mine, but I've learnt from my mistakes. lol

P.S If you need any performance bits in the next few weeks, let me know, I can order them through sandtler and pick em up , when I go get my cage. Tjhat reminds me, I'll remember to bring that brouchure for ya