PDA

View Full Version : 29th September-1st October Tony's report

Tony
05-10-2007, 01:43 AM
Set off from Cornwall on the Friday and stayed with a friend on London overnight.
Caught the 8am Chunnel crossing and rendezvued in a service station with a couple of friends who had caught the Ferry. We had had several drop outs this trip so there was only a 996 GT3, a 964 C4 and my old snotter M3.

Had a fairly uneventful trip to Nurburg although it pee'd down most of the way.

We arrived in time to catch the VLN race and had been invited into the pits by one of the mechanics in the RCE Racing team. He had been oddly friendly to one of the other chaps, but it transpired that he had seen my mates GT3, decided he was loaded and that he ought to buy a racecar.......... and guess who could buy, prepare and service said car? :whistle:

We stuck around until the end of the race and I bumped into Pooky and met Steve Gill :thumb: After the VLN we went back to the PK - the access to which was less than straightforward as they have dug up the entire road, so we parked at Sabine's house instead. I used the rest of the afternoon to fit my chav alloys (inc R888s) and then hit the PK for a few well earned bevvys.

Pooky joiined us for Hot stone steak, but the evening ended early as we were all knackered.

Sunday morning proved to be the start of a beautiful sunny day, however, on Dave's suggestion we did not rush down for the 8am start as there was a very heavy dew and the track was soaking in places. I think I managed to amble down by 9am and had a couple of tentative laps working out how much grip the R888s have in the damp - lots as it transpired :thumb:

As the day progressed the carpark became pretty busy but the track itself wasn't too bad. Bumped into Jochen and then met up with Pooky who then introduced me to cpufreak, Handpaper, Ed, SteveW and Dave-cant-drive. Nice to meet you all guys :thumb:

Had a great day lapping but only completed nina laps myself with a further six passenger laps in various cars. One interesting moment came when we came up behind a Corsa (probably with a 2.0 red top conversion judging by his straightline speed) at Aremberg and the driver was hyper aggressive and nearly knocked over a couple of bikes along the way. He patently didn't want to be passed :jerk: so rather than tangle with him I waited until after AF where I out dragged him along to Metzgesfeld. When I arrived at the corner there were several bikes ahead of me so I slowed up to to follow them through the corner rather than dive up the inside under braking. I heard a screech only to find mr Corsa struggling to keep his car out of my rear bumper.......... anyway, after thinking what a tosser he was I lost him by Miss-Hit-Miss and didn't think any more about it until after I had parked back in the carpark.
There was a comotion behind me and the Corsa passenger was being 'remonstrated with' by a biker. Long story short, the biker kicked the crap out of him but was good enough not to remove his helmet so the guy was unable to retaliate :lol: Guess he cut up the wrong guy.....

The old snotter
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/tonyeyles/20070930touri1823.jpg
The GT3
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/tonyeyles/20070930touri1312.jpg
The 964
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/tonyeyles/20070930touri1157.jpg

The ginger bloke passengering in most of the shots above turned out to be the guy who does all the 'adapting' when Top Gear have their wacky races. This series will include a 2000bhp Rover with a turbo the size of a house plus another amphibious task during which they will attempt to cross the channel. I won't ruin the story for you all, but let's just say that May's yacht doesn't make it too far :lol:

There were a couple of beauties out on circuit during the afternoon but I think this deserved a special mention: :lol: :lol:

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/tonyeyles/20070930touri1225.jpg

During a lap in the GT3 we also came across this:

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/tonyeyles/20070930touri0960.jpg
I don't know what Porsche drivetrain it contains but we followed it at 120mph down through the Foxhole :o B)

As the afternoon drew on the circuit became quieter so I committed a cardinal sin in buying 'one last ticket' and timed myself........... :whistle: It transpired to be an 8.35 which I was quite pleased with although how much I can knock off that when I ditch the standard suspension I do not know :huh: Like I've said before, I'm not the quickest but I do have fun :thumb:

Met up with Pooky and went back to the PK again after putting my road tyres back on, but wimped out by 10pm. Was awoken at 1am by a group of pissheads and never really got back to sleep - just what you want beofre a 700mile journey :(

Monday morning was fine but the rain started around Spa and got steadily worse en route to Calais. However, it was a decently quick journey amd I managed to get an earlier train than planned and met up with Pooky at the terminal. Bought him lunch which we consumed on the train.

The journey in the UK always feel so slow after Europe but this time was not aided by a crash on the M26 resulting in a fifteen mile tailback :angry: This meant that I lost the hour I had gained getting the earlier train, however I did have a fairly uneventful journey back to Cornwall thereafter including a tussle with a Ferrari 612 Scaglietti on the A30..... well I say tussle, when what I meant was he saw me coming up behind him quite quickly so he fecked off into the distance :lol:

Got back in time to see the kids before bed and had already bought the various presents including the wifes duty free perfume so brownie points were restored ;)

All in all another great trip :thumb:

N.B.
Heard from the other guys that the 964 driver had aquaplaned off the road into a concrete barrier and has probably written off the Porsche :(

Floyd
05-10-2007, 06:39 AM
Nice report. :thumb: Loving the Maestro :lol:

F

Floyd
05-10-2007, 06:48 AM
I've not yet seen someone get a pasting before; were there spectators? ;)

Great time on standard suspension and I'd be proud of that. Is it on tape? B)

F

Tony
05-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Floyd@Oct 5 2007, 07:48 AM
I've not yet seen someone get a pasting before; were there spectators? ;)
What, other than me shouting "fight, fight, fight"!! :lol:

The Police turned up eventually so I'm not sure how serious it got :huh:

Lap not taped I'm afraid but it feels a bit weak when others are doing mid sevens which is A LOT faster regardless of how much quicker the car is :unsure: Still, I know that I'm never going to be Rohl and had a bloody good weekend :thumb:

Pooky
05-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Good to see you mate. And everyone else.

That's a lunch from you, one from Steve and an evening meal form Thorleif. Must start spending money.

Simon
05-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Nice report Tony, bet that you were glad to get back?

One thing, don't you wear a lid? Not preaching but I would, especially if the other person is.

Dave Malings
05-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Dave Grohl is in the passenger seat!

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/tonyeyles/20070930touri1225.jpg

Nige
05-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Tony@Oct 5 2007, 02:43 AM
The journey in the UK always feel so slow after Europe
It does doesnt it :(

I enjoyed that report, re the Corsa, sounds like that even if the marshalls miss some bad driving, the odd biker takes the law into their own hands :lol:

p1doc
06-10-2007, 08:41 AM
nice maestro if it was the turbo 0-60 6.4 :o
nice 964-i am tempted to buy one but am constantly told they are money pits :(
nice report-nice ultraviolence in the car park
martin

Biturbo
06-10-2007, 09:28 AM
That VW Caravelle van has previous form.

http://www.threerockmountain.com/Nurburgring-Attitude.html

Tony
06-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Simon@Oct 5 2007, 08:44 PM
One thing, don't you wear a lid? Not preaching but I would, especially if the other person is.
I normally do but I lent it to one of the other guys so that he could go out and lap with Dave (Pooky) and then forgot to get t back :shame:

Tony
06-10-2007, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Pooky@Oct 5 2007, 05:04 PM
That's a lunch from you, one from Steve and an evening meal form Thorleif. Must start spending money.
Pikey

Tony
06-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Nige@Oct 5 2007, 09:58 PM
I enjoyed that report, re the Corsa, sounds like that even if the marshalls miss some bad driving, the odd biker takes the law into their own hands :lol:
Whilst I would never condone violence, the bloke was driving like a cock :jerk: and his attitude towards bikers was such that he would have taken one of them out sooner rather than later :angry: . Hopefully he will have learnt his lesson now :whistle:

Tony
19-10-2007, 08:30 PM
I found this on the phone the other day - I had forgotten that I had made a small alteration to a certain photo during our weekend... :whistle: :lol: You obviously have very good aero Gary :wave:

Wonder if anyone has put it straight yet ;)

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/tonyeyles/29-09-07_1935.jpg

Weeman
22-10-2007, 08:27 AM
pmsl I nearly got a pikey based beating for fiddling with GK's picture, nice to see you got away with it :lol:
what nationality was the corsa btw??? That beat down I would of loved to see, LOL

Nice report, did u manage a beer with Surly bloke?

Re the helmet thing, I'm not sure where I stand on the issue to be honest, I did a lap with Si with helmets on, but usually dont bother, although I will when the cage is in. Intresting one, where do the german police stand on helmets btw?? In the uk its illegal on the roads unless your in something open cockpitted, when the police asked me to write a witness report on an accident at brunnchen, they were asking lots of "were you racing" based questions, if you are wearing a helmet, you could assume thats a definate. Would a helmet in a car have any effect on the police report with regards to visibility if you were involved in an incident?

:lol: