PDA

View Full Version : The Day I Didn't Crash (26th Aug 07)

TheJoker
28-08-2007, 09:58 AM
I'm cross posting this on a few sites, just coz I can... Might be good reading for some people. :)

Righto,

Time for me to write up what actually happened on Sunday as some of you know that "something" happened... Well, firs to give you a low down the events of the weekend.
- Friday: Fairly OK, but not very good. Closures.
- Saturday: Absolute sh*t; managed 1 lap, yes, one...
- Sunday: Riddled with closures, which of the last one involved us....

... The plot thickens...
Sunday, it's getting 'a bit quieter' and the track has just opened after its umpteenth closure. We leave it for a bit to make sure the ones with the itch has got time to scratch. We then head out from Breidsheid for a warm up half-lap. The traffic is so thick I think we got passed by 20-30 cars, I kid you not. Anyway, we're setting out for a set of two or three full laps. Due to the traffic our attitude is "for show purposes only" - i.e we're not out to set a fast lap at all, but we'll try to "look good" for the cameras; wheelies and kneedowns

Simon
28-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Is there any more to post?

Duncan
28-08-2007, 10:06 AM
??

Seems the accident bit is missing ...

TheJoker
28-08-2007, 10:09 AM
yes, there is.. having "Bad Request" problems :(

TheJoker
28-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Part 2
i.e we're not out to set a fast lap at all, but we'll try to "look good" for the cameras; wheelies and kneedowns wherever there's someone spectating/photographing. I pull a wheelie at the start hoping there's someone under the gantry, didn't see anyone, but sill quite a nice mono-wheeler. Approaching T13, can't really see anyone, so we go slow. At the sharp left-hander after the grand-stands there's people, so I do my best to touch-base and provide a bit of sparkies... Success... I power out of the corner... and then I back off a bit..., Hatzenbach, aiming for the right-hand-kink like a model citizen trying to avoid the tarmac-patch by going on the inside... I drift out of the corner and SHIIIIIT! Front wheel loses grip, and rear wheel the same microseconds later. I feel myself wrestling the bars so they're in the direction of travel to compensate for the huge slide of the rear wheel... Bike wobbles back and forth. Thought's going through my head; "CAZ!", "PHIL!", "Not again!!!", "Don't hit anything", "STAY UPRIGHT", "CAZ!!", "PHIL!!"... Somehow I manage to stay upright... I'm now in a dilemma; am I still on the slippery bit, or can I safely put my arm up and start slowing down; Phil (K1200R) and Caz (GSX-R600) are behind me. I manage to shoot my arm up, hazards on, and slow down.

TheJoker
28-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Part 3

Having absolutely no faith in the grip; I don't know where it's slippery and where I have grip. A long slow-down later I park my bike against the armco and confirm that both Caz and Phil have stopped safely; Two rescued... but now comes the challenge. Stop the rest of the people hitting the slippery patch! I start running towards the traffic on the grass, frantically waving my arms up and down. I'm parallel to a spectator who's doing the same thing up on the bank on the other side of the track. But he's not in full bike leathers, gloves, back-protector etc... Lucky guy. There's a red German Caterham coming around the corner and I he slams on the brakes, I can hear skidding but I keep running. There's a bike coming through, I wave my arms so that I might take off... He skids, but stays upright... *phew* one more saved, there's then a bunch of cars, coming, I wave more, they give me thumbs up, before they've figured out that there's oil on the track. Some go a bit sideways, some make it. *phew*. The marshal on the R1 sidecar comes by, I wave more, he's braking and goes a bit sideways, but fixes it, he stops, good. I'm now in such a bad shape that my running has slowed down to girly skips, my heart's pumping overtime, my eyes are full of sweat. In my head goes; Wave your arms, keep going up past the corner, don't die of exhaustion, be prepared to jump over the barrier. More marshals arrive.. traffic is dying down... I'm finally past the corner and can wave safely to any traffic coming. I stop, take off my helmet and gloves, unzip my leathers to try to cool down. Have a sip of water, and sigh a huge sigh of relief - danger averted. Nobody crashed - NOBODY crashed. Amazing.

TheJoker
28-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Part 4

When things start to unfold, the following things pop up; The Caterham that slid stopped about 1m from Phil's parked up bike, after the Caterham had pirouetted down the track (Phil's got a better angle on this part of the story; let him tell the story). The guy on the bike that stopped had properly slid. He's alright. A bit down the track at Flugplatz sadly there was an accident. A yellow GSX-R had gone down on the oil. Rider was OK, but bike definitely was not.
The cause of all this was a "gentleman" (read f**king bu**hole) in a cabrio 911 who had dumped its guts where I hit the oil (or water or both), and kept on driving until the car seized far down the track. Dale Lomas of Performance Bikes / BridgeToGantry.com had a picture of the t*t in Wehrseifen, steam coming out of the rear of the car, and the guy looking into his mirrors. That's at _least_ 8km (almost 5 miles), and he continued past that, how far I don't know. He's been contesting it all saying that he stopped his car as soon as he knew there was a problem. If this guy reads this, all I can say to him is that he should be counting his lucky beans for not being locked up for pre meditated murder; it _could_ have killed someone. Oh, and I'm pretty sure he's never ridden a motorbike.
We quietly rode to Breidscheid, had a beer and called the riding "a day", or in my case "The day I didn't crash".

Thanks for reading! And you're free to pass this text on to any forum/list that you might find appropriate. :) It might stop someone from driving around with their porky-pie urinating. :)

Simon
28-08-2007, 10:27 AM
The tit in the 911 has already be posted about here (http://z8.invisionfree.com/Northloop/index.php?showtopic=6254) :angry:

Glad that you and your mates were all ok, bit of a story to tell thou :o

TheJoker
28-08-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Simon@Aug 28 2007, 10:27 AM
The tit in the 911 has already be posted about here (http://z8.invisionfree.com/Northloop/index.php?showtopic=6254) :angry:

Glad that you and your mates were all ok, bit of a story to tell thou :o
Thanks for the link - I suspected there would be a thread about it, but didn't spot the subject... so I thought I'd stick it in a corner of its own. :)

And, we're all very very glad of the outcome. :thumb: Too bad the guy on the GSX-R went down :(

Simon
28-08-2007, 10:45 AM
Hopefully the now damming evidence will allow all that were effected to recover their costs from the 911 driver.

I am sure that the police will be having a word or 2 as well with him. Also, with any luck Manfred will ban him from the Ring.

wialniaz
28-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Even i wasn't there, i want to thank you for your effort in saving others.

That moron in the 911 not only needs to be treated properly by police and Ring officials, but surely deserves some "folk punishment" with a few decent punches coming his way.
It could've been a lot worse with such a long trail of fluid.

Floyd
28-08-2007, 12:41 PM
How you managed to run in leathers, I don't know. Well done :thumb:

F

TheJoker
28-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Floyd@Aug 28 2007, 12:41 PM
How you managed to run in leathers, I don't know. Well done :thumb:
How I managed not to burst my heart, I don't know! :blink: :blink: :thumb:

TheJoker
28-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Here's Phil's angle of the events... :)

As Jocke said, we finally get to go out on track, all the sitting around
has made me tired and we're out for parade laps.

I'm following Jocke at a nice distance, my tyres are finished and the
pressures are too low, it's been sliding around a bit and the front is
very cut up.

I'm not on "the racing line" to be there I'd have to turn the bike
sharper and that takes effort, I'll make the effort when I see a
photographer.

We've exited the T13 Complex™ and have a good gap before any traffic
will be catching us, we drop down the Hatzenbach Hill© I exit on the
left hand side as I'm only really bothered about the exit from the
Hocheichen Esses™.

I watch Jocke's bike go sideways, he's going down and I've got to miss
whatever is on the track, a slowing bike and a rider.

I'm straight on the back brake and switch on the hazards, arm in the air
I'm relatively confident I'm not going to get punted from behind as
there had been nothing

TheJoker
28-08-2007, 01:08 PM
erhm... part 2 of Phil's accounts

I'm relatively confident I'm not going to get punted from behind as
there had been nothing behind us, I'm now a rolling roadblock :(

I'm not sure if Caz has seen what I have seen, and if she grabs a
handful of the front brake or heads to the right it could be bad.

Jocke is still upright, and I nearly fall off from surprise, he heads
off to the side off the track and I continue down the track another 100
metres, to reduce the grouping of targets.

As I'm pulling up on the grass I can see an Alfa facing me at the
Hocheichen Esses® which has made my mind up that I not riding anywhere
for a while as we need better intel.

I've just got to a stop and I'm leaning the handlebar against the Armco
and there's a squeal of tyres, I look round and a red Caterham is
sliding sideways towards me, I pull my left leg It catches on the base
of the armco, we say our goodbyes I'm going to miss it. The Caterham
slides to a halt about 1.5 / 2 metres away.

I'm off the bike and the car

TheJoker
28-08-2007, 01:10 PM
Part 3 of Phil's "story"

I'm off the bike and the cars are sort of slowing down for the accident,
I now realise that you'll easily be thrown over the top of a Caterham
but these big cars are going to run you over. A final look at the bike
as I'm fairly sure it's going to get tw**ed as something else slides
off.

The cars are beginning to realise that oil is the problem, those not on
the right are slipping around and those on the right can the sliding.
Now bikes are circulating so my arms are alternating between flapping
and pointing at the oil, they all make it and the traffic eases I toss
the helmet and cross the track running so that the next lot round can
see me as Jocke has probably collapsed.

The next lot of cars are exiting Hatzenbach Hill™ at quite a pace but
are beginning to get the message, a blue Polo has stopped and he has a
flag (now on my list) and the R1 sidecar has also pulled up. The
Caterham has gone and so has the Alfa.

The traffic stops and the course car comes round which gives me a chance
to walk down the track, I'd noticed on Friday that there are distinct
rubber tracks left by all the cars, and now there is an oil slick 2 foot
wide between those tracks.

I have a quick chat with the Marshall on the R1, I tell him I don't know
where it came from and the cars I saw spun, he thanks me for stopping, I
don't know the German for gallows or posse and he's gone off to chat
with the guy with the polo before I can ask him if I can take the
sidecar back and he take my bike.

They have a quick chat in German, the guy in the polo looks at me "Green
Hell" he says, I really understand what that means now. The Marshall
comes back over to me, the slick goes round to Aremburg at least.

Caz and Jocke look like there ready to set off so I exit the grass and
head off, it's slow foot down to check the surface conditions, a bike is
down at Fulgplatz, the first victim, but I think he's up and it's the
only one I see on the trip to the Breidscheid exit.

Oddly I just want to go back

wialniaz
28-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by TheJoker@Aug 28 2007, 01:04 PM

Wait a second... Is that you - the same Jocke that I've met in July? :)

MrBean
28-08-2007, 08:11 PM
The guy that crashed @Flugplatz is a friend. I'll tell him about the photos.
The guy in the polo is marshall too btw.

TheJoker
28-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by wialniaz+Aug 28 2007, 01:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (wialniaz @ Aug 28 2007, 01:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TheJoker@Aug 28 2007, 01:04 PM

Wait a second... Is that you - the same Jocke that I&#39;ve met in July? :) [/b][/quote]
Yip, same me, Arturas. :)

TheJoker
28-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by MrBean@Aug 28 2007, 08:11 PM
The guy that crashed @Flugplatz is a friend. I&#39;ll tell him about the photos.
The guy in the polo is marshall too btw.
Hope your friend is OK. Please tell him that I was very pleased to see him walk when we crawled past to safety. :thumb:

Gary Kinghorn
29-08-2007, 06:34 AM
Well done Joker, glad it didn&#39;t end in tears for you and your friends :thumb:

TheJoker
29-08-2007, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Gary Kinghorn@Aug 29 2007, 06:34 AM
Well done Joker, glad it didn&#39;t end in tears for you and your friends :thumb:
Cheers, this time it ended in beers... :D B) B)

wialniaz
29-08-2007, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by TheJoker@Aug 29 2007, 08:09 AM
Cheers, this time it ended in beers... :D B) B)
:lol: :lol:

Yeah well reading about bikers going down on fluids is one thing, but when the biker is someone you know, it&#39;s quite another :blink: I can imagine the frustration and anger of those who knew the guy who unfortunately died recently :unsure:
Really happy it ended only in beers and proud about you warning the traffic&#33;

And if anyone still doubts about Jocke&#39;s fitness of running in leathers, let me tell you something. When he takes the leathers off, he can run from Breidscheid cafe to the Adenau&#39;s ARAL faster than i can drive with my BMW :lol: :thumb:

TheJoker
29-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by wialniaz@Aug 29 2007, 08:23 AM
:lol: :lol:
And if anyone still doubts about Jocke&#39;s fitness of running in leathers, let me tell you something. When he takes the leathers off, he can run from Breidscheid cafe to the Adenau&#39;s ARAL faster than i can drive with my BMW :lol: :thumb:
Hahahaa... I had almost forgotten about that "marathon" (well for me anyway ;) )

mr_white
30-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Well saved that man, when the front then rear let go like that but you manage to stay on,you just know that fate was smiling on you.

TheJoker
30-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Indeed&#33; :) Cheers&#33;