PDA

View Full Version : short ring trip

p1doc
02-08-2007, 07:23 PM
well second trip of year did not last very long :( drove from ellon to newcastle via carlisle and got to ferry just as they shut check in :D on sat

sun-drove from ijmuiden to phantasia land,dropped wife and kids off and thought i would nip to ring in retrospect-bad idea.first off got stuck in traffic outside bruhl then got diverted in adenau and arrived at 6pm .ring looked very quiet car park almost empty :o popped into office to get ticket,did 1 lap quite greasy but only 2 cars encountered :o .in carpark met rb320 driver and handpaper then met nige and a rx8 owner who had had a slight crunch :( .took nige out for lap as thanks for photo favour then took nige's son out for lap.
just at corner before main straight went round corner at same speed as on last 2 laps back end went out caught it then drifted onto the right kerb across the kerb into the drainage ditch and up the 45 degree emankment for 10 or so metres then back down into the ditch and onto the grass.i stopped the car and made sure matthew and i were fine ,got out and checked the car superficial damage only ,thanks to the civic driver who stopped to make sure i was ok :)
i then drove back to carpark to find nige who due to superficial damage was smiling then :angry: as i had just crashed the car with his son in :shame: x10.i apologised to nige who was very good to me despite me crashing :nono: .car was fine no leaks brakes in straight line just half a field in the wheels ;)
nige then offered me a pax lap which i accepted-nice golf much faster in corners but i have a slight bit more power :thumb: .after ring had shut nige ,matthew and i retrieved the incriminating trim part (which after consultation with subaru bodyshop needs replacing 60 +painting plus minor painting to foglight cover+2 chipped alloys and four scrubbed tyres-one with 6psi drop over 2 days and 400 miles),i then aologised to nige again before retreating to safety of phantasia land for 2 days thinking i had pushed my luck :whistle:
so 3 laps 1 crash :jerk: 1 pax lap
definitely a case of running out of talent but unable to explain drift to right :blink:
martin
ps nige has permission to put up pics :shame:
martin

Dave Malings
02-08-2007, 07:29 PM
:o

Darren Langeveld
02-08-2007, 10:52 PM
How was Phantasialand?

IanHowell
02-08-2007, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by p1doc@Aug 2 2007, 08:23 PM
ps nige has permission to put up pics :shame:
martin
Do I have permission also Martin :whistle:

Ian

Steve Gill
03-08-2007, 06:43 AM
Sorry to hear about the accident Martin :(

Floyd
03-08-2007, 07:00 AM
Not a trip report I was expecting :o Glad everyone is OK :) I know how it feels to go off with a pax on board and I drive with a bit more safety margin now.

F

p1doc
03-08-2007, 07:41 AM
sorry met ian and jude in carpark after as well,did wonder where my embarassing photo went :P
phantasialand was great,nearly made myself sick on churros :whistle: 9 in one morning ..sugar rush.megan is 5 and there were quite a few rides she was too short/too young for :( but plenty for her to go on still.if you have young kids it is great but beware thehollywood tour-first bit is like a small logride down a waterfall not suitable for all family as it says :angry: ass my 2/12 was soaked and trying to explain birds pecking a woman's face off to a 5 yr old is interesting ;) as the ride is based on horror films(again not known till after)
i did take a safety margin floyd but obviously not enough :shame: ,glad i wear a helmet and get passengers to wear a helmet as well :)
as they say pride before a fall :( ...or too fast basically
martin

IanHowell
03-08-2007, 03:29 PM
With Martins permission via PM....:o

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ianh26/Nurburgring/25-30th%20July%202007/DSCF0799.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ianh26/Nurburgring/25-30th%20July%202007/DSCF0800.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ianh26/Nurburgring/25-30th%20July%202007/DSCF0802.jpg

Ian

p1doc
03-08-2007, 03:50 PM
tyres did not lose a single psi for 400 miles after jetwash 2 chipped alloys on left scraped front l caliper rear mudfap mounting twisted but in place r sti winglet broken off unable to be attached and r side front spoiler scratched and four scrubbed tyres geometry knocked off and one skidmark in drivers seat :thumb:
martin
ps now it looks like a rally car :whistle:

Hippychick
03-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by p1doc@Aug 3 2007, 04:50 PM
and one skidmark in drivers seat :thumb:

:lol:

Glad you & Matt were ok

p1doc
03-08-2007, 09:08 PM
main thing is we are both ok and a big plus is car survived
martin

p1doc
03-08-2007, 09:13 PM
ian i thought you had pic of me and matt in front of the car?
martin

Nige
03-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Martin, you going to post the photo I took of you next to the banking ??? :whistle:

p1doc
03-08-2007, 09:36 PM
mmmmm :shame: it looks worse on the photos i printed :shark:
martin

mckeann
04-08-2007, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by p1doc@Aug 2 2007, 08:23 PM

definitely a case of running out of talent but unable to explain drift to right :blink:
martin
if i'm thinking properly (which after the amount of beer i've drunk si unlikely) then you went sideways on the last right hand corner before the straight. as you oversteer, your car was pointing more and more to the right hand side of the track. chances are you didnt get the lock off quickly enough, which menas as the car grips, your still pointing at the right hand side, so you shoot off in that direction and end up in the ditch.

sorry to hear about it anyway, never nice to hear about accidents.

without sounding patronising, if you go for a training day with www.carlimits.com you will learn so many things to help you in those situations. :thumb:

p1doc
04-08-2007, 09:11 PM
fair point,pretty sure i had corrected oversteer but not too much but your explanation seems feasible.
i have had advanced driving on the road at knockhill :whistle: but i may need some at the ring
just checked on car-l front totally flat :o despite checking it daily for four days on holiday post accident and not losing any pressure ;) ,car must be like a transformer and got me safely home before giving into the injury B)
martin

p1doc
08-09-2007, 08:17 AM
total cost of repairs 600 new winglets both sides
respray front bumper
buckled l front alloy
2 front tyres wrecked due to off geometry
new geometry
repaired mudfap bracket l rear
thankfully had new alloys and tyres at home
martin