PDA

View Full Version : Daves Report 23rd till 26th June

Dave G
27-06-2007, 08:11 PM
My last day at my old job was part of the reason for this trip, I'd blagged a week off until I start the new job.

What to do with that week....well, isn't it obvious!

Some issues with the car were sorted, the smoking issue from the last trip hadn't been addressed. I took the car to work on Wednesday to get the seat welded in, the exhaust fixed (kept coming loose) and to try to identify the smoking.

The other two problems were sorted with a welder, and a section of flexi pipe. The oil leak was put down to the engine oil breather, or the n/s driveshaft seal.

A driveshaft seal was ordered and arrived Thursday, the breather was sorted (to an extent - so it didn't leak but could breathe). Thursday night I fitted the driveshaft seal.

At work I was buzzing, a) It was my last day B) I set off to the 'Ring almost straight after

After work, I had to head to London to chase the guy up who didn't pay from the last trip. He seemed suprised when I turned up at the door, and gave me some cash. I then headed to Dagenham to meet a guy who was going to lend me some spares. :thumb:

I headed down to pick up Theo, my passenger in Kent. After Dartford bridge the traffic was crawling. I was getting nervous about making the 2am ferry! Picked Theo up and headed to Dover, out progress impeeded by a twat in a 106 who's passenger threw a glass bottle out of his window. :jerk:

Made the ferry, and was given complimentary first class lounge tickets. Probably due to driving such an executive chariot (or maybe due to the fact I have booked 50+ crossing in the past year!) Enjoyed the WI-FI, comfy chairs, 3 Pain-au-Chocolats and a Coffee or two.

Arrived in France at 5am. Had filled up in Dover, so headed all the way to Dollendorf to Brens without stopping. Found the hotel, in the pouring rain, and the Civic isn't waterproof so we were somewhat wet. :hehegay: :censored:

Bren directed us to Wiesshaus, where we were to spend the first night due to Brens being full.

We unloaded the car, and headed to Adenau. Had a quick bite to eat and bought a 1.5 lap ticket and started at Breidshied. It was soaking, so we were taking it very easy. Eventually caught up with a VW Multivan, which was expertly driven, a few tail happy moments had us giggling, but it genuinely wasn't easy to keep up! :lol: :greddy:

Into the car park, and I forget who we met then.....Handpaper (James) in his 320i, and then Gary made an appearance.

We did another lap in the wet, hoping for some drift-play but now that I had Toyo Proxie T1-Ss front and back, I couldn't provoke it as easily as before and it just understeered! Proving that the Toyos are.......wank!

Having wished I chose the Goodyears, I won't be using these Toyos again.

Some people on R tyres were understandably reluctant to go out.

It started to dry, so we ventured out again, getting back into it now and building up some more speed.

The next lap we headed out with Nick (leavingeasy) and Simon (Simon :wave: ) behind. Not having been briefed, I wasn't sure if this was to just be a cruise about, (well, hardly a cruise!) or if Nick who was faster wanted to pass. I gave him a couple of opportunities just in case, but he was happy to stay behind.

This turned out to be a great fun lap, even if I did get more confused at Brünnchen and let Dave_can't_drive passed, thinking he was someone else. (I thought he had a red Elise!) :shame:

Also, apologies to Nick for feeding him a few bits of gravel at Schalbenschwanz, they were on the kerb! Honest!

Met loads of people over the weekend, including;

Thorlief - Fu*king good lap :thumb:
Bimmer - Again, great lap, what a car (The twin-supercharged M5)
Dave_Can't_Drive - Nice driving :lol:
Bren - Hero and top man
SuperRetard - Sprinter-driver extraordinare and top bloke

There are many more....I will remember as the evening progresses.

Later on (or was it Sunday) had another awesome lap chasing Nick in the Caterham, what fantastic fun. (Thanks for slowing for me ;) ) That was the first lap I stayed flat through the Foxhole and the video (in the video section) shows how I felt about it. Was awesome!

Dave G
27-06-2007, 08:13 PM
That night everyone planned to go to the Chinese in Adenau, we had hoped to join them, but we got back to the Hotel and it was getting on a bit. Having had no sleep I text Simon to say we were just gonna get some kip. Slept from 7pm till 10am.

Packed the car back up and headed to Brens, unloaded the car again and got sorted.

Headed back down to the track, bought some more laps and met some more heroes. There were a fair few smashes in the wet weather on the Saturday, but less so on the Sunday.

I had topped up my oil earlier before heading to the track.

We headed out on track, and coming down to Brünnchen we had a cloud of smoke out the back. I whacked on the hazards and pulled off the track onto the gravel to investigate. It looked like it was coming from the breather, had hit the inlet manifold and exhaust creating a big cloud of smoke. :shame: Worried about dropping oil onto the track we tried to find out why this was happening.

It turned out I had over-filled the oil by a fair amount :shame: :shame: . We spoke to the guys with the blue and white CRX, luckily enough one of the drivers was a Honda mechanic/tuner who helped us out massively. He said it would be ok to drive, but I told him I was worried about dropping oil onto the track. He then spend 20 mins using his hydraulic trailer to jack up my car and drain some oil into cups and a used oil bottle he had in the car! :thumb: :shame: :shame: . He said it'd now be fine. We had a little play with him on track later. :thumb:

Once it was down to a proper level, we headed out again. Did a few more laps, and spoke to some more Ringers.

On one of the laps the battery light came on. The car had chewed up a fan belt before for no apparent reason, but I had fitted a brand new one before departing. It was found chewed up (again) in the wheelarch.

Headed to Ring Racing who were able to pull my pants down (thanks! :wave: ) and supply me with two belts for 47 Euros, also slightly too long which I thought would charge the battery enough until Monday when we could order the correct one.

Headed down to the PistenKlaus that evening, just before we arrived, the rev counter died, and then the car started to misfire. The belt obviously wasn't spinning the alternator enough to charge the battery. :censored:

The car started and James (Handpaper) was to follow us back to the hotel (20km away) incase we broke down. We broke down about 5km from the Pistenklaus. I had a tow rope. James totally saved the day, and towed us back to the hotel. A total hero and my thanks go out to you. I owe you one (well more than one) beer! :thumb: :thumb:

Dave G
27-06-2007, 08:14 PM
The next morning, Bren lent us his MX5 (hero) to go up the road to the spares shop. We ended up going to the town a few miles from Dollendorf to the Seat garage. My German was just about good enough to order a fan belt (Kielreimen) for my Civic! Thank god. Alex Dorfner (the guy who served us) was to order one for the afternoon. Spot on.

We went back to collect it, it looked perfect. Back to the hotel, fitted the belt it was indeed correct. We headed to Adenau for a bite to eat and watch a bit of the bike trackday which was going on. Met a guy called Graham who was driving a blue MX6 on his first trip. He was having fun, and I was to take him out for a PAX lap later but in the end didn't have time.

Got to the entrance for 16:45, track was due to open at 17:15. Chatted to a Kiwi who was in a rental car travelling parts of Europe. Offered him some advice and told him to have fun!

We headed out on track for a couple of laps. Joined Gary for a bit of viewing at Adenauer Forst. Will be visiting again, now we know where it is!

Filled up (again) in Adenau, bought (another) 1.5 lap ticket. Followed Gary out in the Mondeo, we were passed by Bren and Andy. As we had so kindly moved out of the way, Bren put his leg up in the air to say thanks whilst his other knee was on the ground at about 120mph :blink: :blink: :thumb:

Headed out for another lap, and accidently left the phone recording. Had a pretty clear lap, a few hold ups including an M3 which stayed to the left rather than the right around the complex after Tiergarten. :rolleyes: . With a full tank, passenger, outside of the Karoussel, crap tyres (enough excuses yet) it turned out to be around the 8:42 mark. I wasn't time chasing but I was pleased with it. I reckon with decent tyres, no passenger, or holdups, it'd do about 8:20. But again, I'm not going to be chasing that time.

I had some fantastic laps, and met yet more great people who have the same interest and enthusiasm for the place.

Had a Chinese with Bren et al at Sliders on Monday night. Dale showed us the lines around a local roundabout in the Sprinter and also almost took a 330i Touring! :lol:

Bren was a hero this weekend, for sorting the accomodation and lending me the MX5 to go fetch parts for my shed. :thumb: Owe you more than one beer mate. Next time. :thumb:

What a weekend. B)

Left for Amsterdam, spent three hours trying to find somewhere to park. Found a space and (crap & overpriced) hotel near the town centre. The Civic attracted a fair bit of attention parked there. Not all good attention either. We bought parking tickets until 24:00 from which point the parking was free, you'd have to pay from 09:00 but we planned to leave by then anyway.

Went for a look about, and a little smoke. :whistle:

We headed back to the hotel fairly early (i.e. 9:30pm or so) and just went to sleep. I wonder why! :whistle: :whistle:

Woke up, packed up to leave. We were to stay another night, but we'd spend so much already (overpriced hotel/lap tickets/fuel) that we were gonna go home a day early. As we decended the stairs, I joked that I hoped the car hadn't been stolen. I spoke too soon.....the car was gone. :blink:

The lady from the Pancake shop said it'd been towed away. :censored:

Turns out despite the fact that there was nothing to indicate that you weren't allowed to park between 0800 and 0900 on the parking machine, there was a small sign at one end of the street. Cheers Amsterdam.

Fuming, we went to the Police Station, and caught the Metro to where the car was. After a pointless arguement we left 252Euros lighter.

Made the 1400 ferry and here I am, bored. :wave: B)

Awesome weekend, unfortunately tainted somewhat by Amsterdam. Next time I'll fly. :thumb:

Ryan W
27-06-2007, 08:29 PM
:lol:

Good report mate, glad to see the Civic was trouble free as always :ph43r:

See you this weekend hopefully...

Ryan

Dave G
27-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Good lad.

Gimme a shout when you are back. :thumb:

Expensive, but brilliant (long weekend) :thumb:

Floyd
27-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Love the pictures ;) I found some NCP type car parks near Damrak, which work out a little cheaper than a tow away :angry:

Good lap time, I'm amazed that you can peddle it that fast :thumb:

F

Nige
27-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Great report, Foxhole flat for the first time, wow :thumb:

Why do your trips always end up having mechanical issues and costing losts of money :blink:

Dave G
27-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Floyd@Jun 27 2007, 10:22 PM
Good lap time, I'm amazed that you can peddle it that fast :thumb:

F
If I do 'Dam again, (I've been twice now) I'll just fly there. Or try a different Euro City to explore. I'm not into Smoking, or paying for 'Ladies' so there's no major appeal.

My Civic is putting out around 180bhp (estimation), and weighs a touch under 1000kg. As I mentioned, I reckon it&#39;d do less than 8:20 with no PAX, good tyres, and a clear lap. But I won&#39;t &#39;chase&#39; it. It&#39;d end in tears. <_<

Dave G
27-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Nige@Jun 27 2007, 10:26 PM
Great report, Foxhole flat for the first time, wow :thumb:

Why do your trips always end up having mechanical issues and costing losts of money :blink:
Foxhole flat was awesome.

I never thought it was possible, when I was going round at an indicated 120mph, I thought that was the max. Gradually built up the pace, and then did it flat. Indicated over 140mph. Using the TomTom equates to just over 130mph genuine. :blink: Scary, but rewarding in an odd way.

Mechanical issues.....due to endless modifying/fiddling I guess. I think one of the pulleys is out of line/sharp. Very odd.

And the cost, well, the laps were expensive, but the parking was just unfortunate. :( Shame, because the &#39;Ring was brilliant.

Simon
27-06-2007, 09:50 PM
nice report Dave. Good to catch up with you and Theo. At least you didn&#39;t get a rash from the Dam :lol:

Simon
27-06-2007, 09:51 PM
nice report Dave. Good to catch up with you and Theo. At least you didn&#39;t get a rash from the Dam :lol:

DAN THE MAN
27-06-2007, 09:54 PM
great write up. inspires me to do my own.

I always lift or dab for foxhole :lol:

well thgis year even more so in the X :ph43r:

bad_roo
27-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by davetouring@Jun 27 2007, 09:32 PM
Foxhole flat was awesome.

I never thought it was possible, when I was going round at an indicated 120mph, I thought that was the max. Gradually built up the pace, and then did it flat. Indicated over 140mph. Using the TomTom equates to just over 130mph genuine. :blink: Scary, but rewarding in an odd way.

I was working on carrying more speed up the other side of the Foxhole. The Clio was showing 126mph through there on the VBOX. Your little Civic was really hauling ass.

Dave G
27-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Simon,

Was good to see you again chap, see you again soon :thumb:

Glad about the rash too. Would have been even worse, rash and no car&#33; :whistle:

I&#39;ve been to Frankfurt/Latvia and never have I been quite so suprised by the quite blatant window prositution&#33; :blink: Whatever floats your boat.

I can imagine Dan, that you took it fairly easy in the NSX, especially on your first visit with it&#33;&#33;&#33; :thumb:

I used to dab/lift, (lift being worse of course&#33;) but Gary said &#39;It can be done&#39; and so, it was :thumb:

Dave G
27-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by bad_roo@Jun 27 2007, 11:00 PM

I was working on carrying more speed up the other side of the Foxhole. The Clio was showing 126mph through there on the VBOX. Your little Civic was really hauling ass.
Yeah, I guess the next step is the dab for the left hander, which can also be taken at a decent rate of knots. Moreso than I thought.

She&#39;s a good old girl. I have a fair share of issues with it, but it has done almost 164k now. :lol: :ph43r: :thumb:

DAN THE MAN
27-06-2007, 10:05 PM
164k? just bedding in :lol:

And well i span on friday and hit the armco so yeah was defo goign steady after that :(

But got into sunday thank god and did 20 laps nearly B)

Dave G
27-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Oh bugger. Were you & car ok? I did about 20 laps this weekend. Done nearly 70 in total now. :thumb:

Gary Kinghorn
28-06-2007, 06:13 AM
Great report dave. Good to see you again at the weekend :thumb:

DAN THE MAN
28-06-2007, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by davetouring@Jun 27 2007, 10:49 PM
Oh bugger. Were you & car ok? I did about 20 laps this weekend. Done nearly 70 in total now. :thumb:
yeah minor damage. well THE BILL WONT BE :lol:

hit the nearside bumper, broke the light and bent the rear wing but aluminium so should bash out. patched her up at ford garage, he even mixed some paint for me ;)

proper helpfull guys i was chuffed. So on the hunt for parts now found a few on fleabay :thumb:

Snap im on 73 laps too

Dave G
28-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Cool mate. That is awesome the help you got. I was helped out by the CRX guys as I mentioned, I was so chuffed. B)

Gary was good to see you and gang again too :thumb:

Andrew
28-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Great read as usual Dave :)

jon_r
28-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Great read Dave.

pye21
28-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Great read Dave, a little pic light though&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :ph43r:

Dave G
29-06-2007, 12:22 PM
For the picture lovers....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/davetouring/IMG_3853dl.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/davetouring/25062007079.jpg

On the way home....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/davetouring/27062007081.jpg

In Amsterdam....Car was here until 07:53 when it was towed....Cheers&#33; :thumb: :lol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/davetouring/26062007080.jpg

:D

Simon
29-06-2007, 12:31 PM
I like that first picture a lot :thumb:

leavingeasy
29-06-2007, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by davetouring@Jun 27 2007, 09:11 PM
Later on (or was it Sunday) had another awesome lap chasing Nick in the Caterham, what fantastic fun. (Thanks for slowing for me ;) ) That was the first lap I stayed flat through the Foxhole and the video (in the video section) shows how I felt about it. Was awesome&#33;
The speed you carried through SX had me watching you in my mirrors so stunned I missed my braking point by a fecking mile.

Really fast thru FH too and Angst where normally my handling more than compensates for no power.

You sure can pedal Dave :thumb:

Here are some pics courtesy of Jochen.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a397/leavingeasy/T7P_0294.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a397/leavingeasy/T7P_0296.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a397/leavingeasy/T7P_0297.jpg

Floyd
29-06-2007, 10:13 PM
I like pictures :D especially yours :thumb:
I&#39;ve walked down that road, I think there were some electrical stores to the left IIRC
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/davetouring/26062007080.jpg
I didn&#39;t see your car there either ;) :lol:

F

Dave G
30-06-2007, 12:26 PM
Cheers Nick&#33;

Great photos, and next time I think we should swap passenger laps&#33; I will put my brave hat on. :whistle:

That thing really flies round, you&#39;re pretty bloody good round there chap&#33; :thumb:

Floyd, yeah you must have been there just after it got towed away&#33; :argue: :wave:

Floyd
30-06-2007, 01:03 PM
I had a slap up meal at the Hard Rock but they were changing waiting staff shifts during the meal. No one gave me a bill as a result :whistle:

F

Dave G
30-06-2007, 01:07 PM
You&#39;re supposed to ask for one :whistle: :lol:

Floyd
30-06-2007, 01:09 PM
:shame: I actually tried to get one&#33;

F

Pooky
30-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Good to meet you Dave, you were very rapid, much faster than I expected. You were the only one who got to see me in the wet so to speak. PAX lap next time.

Dave G
30-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Dave,

Good to meet you too mate, was well impressed with your car and driving. What a chariot. Your car control is impressive.

As you say, 100% up for a PAX lap with you and you are more than welcome to one in my sh*tbox. :whistle: :thumb:

GrahamB
30-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by davetouring@Jun 27 2007, 08:14 PM
Met a guy called Graham who was driving a blue MX6 on his first trip. He was having fun, and I was to take him out for a PAX lap later but in the end didn&#39;t have time.

I&#39;m still up for that pax lap&#33; I don&#39;t know when I&#39;ll be going back but&#39;ll put it up on here when I do. I&#39;ll have a lid next time as well B)

Dave G
30-06-2007, 05:41 PM
Hey mate&#33;

Glad you joined up&#33;

Thanks for letting me past after Adenauer Forst by the way, we were both impressed at how quick your chariot was&#33; :thumb:

Have a look around mate, there might be photos of your car. B)

Theo325
30-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Was a great trip, even if I didn&#39;t have my own car - the various passenger laps made it really enjoyable. Thanks to Pooky, Bimmer, Handpaper and of course big Dave for those.

Was good to meet lot&#39;s of Northloopers, hope to see you all again soon, not sure if I will be able to keep up with any of you though :lol:

Thanks also to the MR2 driver who took it upon himself to try and kill Dave and I whilst going into Pflanzgarten. In his words, he couldn&#39;t decide whether to go to the left or right, so opted to sit right in the middle of the track. :jerk:

GrahamB
30-06-2007, 06:04 PM
I&#39;ve found one;

http://ring.fotopic.net/p42636765.html

One the way into Wehrseifen I think. Next time (maybe in the Autumn) I&#39;ll have better tyres and maybe suspension so I&#39;ll have a bit more confidence in the car. Great meeting you and thanks for all the advice.